• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If he makes the final, he'll get himself seeded for the US Open, so I hope he does. That plus Murray winning the title would make my day.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's hard to believe Gasquet was once considered the most promising out of the Gasquet/Murray/Djokovic trio of youngsters.

EDIT: Having said that, he's about to take the first set.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
See, now would have been a good time to do this. You blew it, kid.

What can I say? Murray is a forgiving and merciful man, another one of his impressive personal qualities that keep us all fans.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
What can I say? Murray is a forgiving and merciful man, another one of his impressive personal qualities that keep us all fans.

6fb9757cjw1ds60sdizk9g.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think Murray's finally mastered Djokovic's skill of somehow winning when playing at ~20%.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Those 2-3 hours grindfests are going to make Murray deflated at the USO, exactly what happened to Federer last year.

He sounds depressed as hell in his post-match interview. I kind of agree, I feel like a loss here isn't so bad. The only caveat is he really needs that #2 seed, so... pray for Lopez, I guess?

Those 2-3 hours grindfests are going to make Murray deflated at the USO, exactly what happened to Federer last year.

Nah. A week is a long time to recover. Keep in mind many players will be in Connecticut and Winston-Salem playing a tournament next week while the big 4 will be resting

Niraj

"He hasn't faced a break point all week"

Me to myself: He'll face three in this game

Sure enough -_-

Niraj

Well he was down 0-30 when the commentator said it.

0-15 is when the graphic was up, I wasn't actually quoting an announcer, though I guess it looked that way. My bad.

Lopez couldn't play as well as he did yesterday. Pretty solid from Roger.

Niraj

Anyone catch what Lopez and Fed were saying?

I caught "fucking flying all over the court" lol

phoony17

Ah alright, I could see that. Thanks dude

Just replayed it, hard to make out Lopez but he said 'So you still flying all over the court, huh?' Fed replied 'Don't worry you still got a few more years'

Another good match from Federer. Lopez wasn't going to be much of a challenge for him but Feli's been in good form this week.

Would love Fed to beat both Murray and Novak to win.

Niraj

Just replayed it, hard to make out Lopez but he said 'So you still flying all over the court, huh?' Fed replied 'Don't worry you still got a few more years'

Another good match from Federer. Lopez wasn't going to be much of a challenge for him but Feli's been in good form this week.

Would love Fed to beat both Murray and Novak to win.

Ah alright. Yeah, I'm hoping for that too. Though I do hope Dolgopolov wins or at least plays a good match, really like him.

I'm going to cry so hard when Fed retires. I'll have to take a week off work.

Definitely going to suck :/

I'm predicting a repeat of Wimbledon, Fed will beat Murray tomorrow but lose to Novak in the final.

Hope you're wrong, but it's definitely possible.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
it's going to be another big final federer will lose after playing a great tournament.

i hope at the us open federer will be drawn on djokovic's side. i like his odds in a semi-final much more so than in a final.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
i'd tentatively agree with this, djokovic hasn't looked all that great but he can do it on the big matches. but federer looks supreme and he's the freshest of the big ones over the last 2 weeks.

I mean, he has has almost five weeks off. It'd be a bit embarrassing if he lost to Murray at this point, and also not very promising for his US Open chances.

Hope you're wrong, but it's definitely possible.

I hope I'm wrong as well (well, about the Fed/Murray match).

i'd tentatively agree with this, djokovic hasn't looked all that great but he can do it on the big matches. but federer looks supreme and he's the freshest of the big ones over the last 2 weeks.

Yep, exactly. Federer seems to be much more on point compared to Murray and Djokovic, but it wouldn't surprise me if Djokovic is back on form for the final.

Edit: That's of course assuming Djokovic actually gets to the final, which is looking less likely right now.

szaromir

Banned
How? He uses the same grip for both and there's a surprisingly small speed differential.

He kicks his 2nd serve while the 1st is sliced most of the time. Though the pace and placement of the second serve are very good, provided he doesn't double fault :p

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
He kicks his 2nd serve while the 1st is sliced most of the time. Though the pace and placement of the second serve are very good, provided he doesn't double fault :p

His second serve has a little kick, but it's not hugely different to his first serve and to get the extra topspin on it despite it only travelling slightly less faster than his first serve means he's hitting them roughly with equal pace. I think you're definitely stretching it to say they're "quite a bit" different.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dolgopolov is playing well, but it helps Novak is looking like he's somewhere else entirely.

szaromir

Banned
His second serve has a little kick, but it's not hugely different to his first serve and to get the extra topspin on it despite it only travelling slightly less faster than his first serve means he's hitting them roughly with equal pace. I think you're definitely stretching it to say they're "quite a bit" different.
Regardless, he's 15/36 on getting the first serve in and 19/21 on getting the second serve in. "essentially the same" would result in 12 or so double faults in the match.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Regardless, he's 15/36 on getting the first serve in and 19/21 on getting the second serve in. "essentially the same" would result in 12 or so double faults in the match.

Yeah, but I think the difference is more attributable to where's he's trying to put it than how he's hitting it.

Top Bottom