• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

John Dunbar

correct about everything
djokovic going full sampras. get a break and then barely bother with winning points on return.

edit: of course federer is doing the work for him.

ghstwrld

broken spirit
laugh.gif

John Dunbar

correct about everything
djokovic has broken both nadal and federer mentally.

anderson had the chance to save tennis that day, but evil was allowed to endure.

szaromir

Banned
Yet another heartbreaker. Congrats to Djokovic, his pushing worked well for him tonight. Roger once again played significantly worse than leading up to the final, he just can't get his nerves in check.

Possibly the greatest season in the open era, and yet I was more impressed with Djoker's 2011 or Roger's 2006.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Yet another heartbreaker. Congrats to Djokovic, his pushing worked well for him tonight. Roger once again played significantly worse than leading up to the final, he just can't get his nerves in check.

Possibly the greatest season in the open era, and yet I was more impressed with Djoker's 2011 or Roger's 2006.

I feel the same about Djokovic's 2011. I don't know. Just felt like the competition was better maybe? It's hard to argue with the numbers though

Smellycat

Djokovic's only competition is a 34 year old Federer and a pressure free Wawrinka. That is it! And as you can see, Federer simply can't compete with him at this age on slow courts and in best of 5 finals. (He has the game, but his nerves get the better of him)

I think Federer becoming number 3 is a blessing in disguise! We will see what will happen next year. But for now, all I can say is congrats to Djokovic.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I also agree re: Djokovic's 2011 being the greatest tennis year in respect to quality of play rather than just titles. Murray and Nadal were both clearly playing better in 2011 and while some aspects of Federer's game are better in 2015 than 2011 (serve and net play), his ground game was definitely worse this year than then which has affected his ability to rally with Djokovic. That said, title-wise this is the best year since Laver's 1969, so for that, congratulations to Djokovic. I just hope he gets challenged a little more next year. My hope is that either Murray or Nadal win the AO to really get things going.

sam777

I also agree re: Djokovic's 2011 being the greatest tennis year in respect to quality of play rather than just titles. Murray and Nadal were both clearly playing better in 2011 and while some aspects of Federer's game are better in 2015 than 2011 (serve and net play), his ground game was definitely worse this year than then which has affected his ability to rally with Djokovic. That said, title-wise this is the best year since Laver's 1969, so for that, congratulations to Djokovic. I just hope he gets challenged a little more next year. My hope is that either Murray or Nadal win the AO to really get things going.

We can hope, I really want Rafa to win the AO, which would give the the double career grand slam.

miserable

pinning hopes on Murray
what a time to be alive

MIMIC

Banned
Novak!!!! What an epic year.

2015 achievements
-3 slams & a final
-6 Masters (record)
-8 Masters finals (record)
-32 wins over top 10 opponents (record)
-15 straight finals: Australian Open - World Tour Finals (record)
-16,585 ranking points (record)

Career achievements & milestones
-5th Australian Open title (Open Era record)
-3rd Wimbledon title
-26 Masters titles (2nd to Nadal)
-4th year finishing No. 1
-5th Wold Tour Finals title (2nd to Federer)
-4th straight World Tour Finals title (record)
-2nd year with 3 slams
-3rd Shanghai title (record)
-84% win rate on hard courts (record)
-10th slam win

atpfinals2015_11.jpg

Bigfoot

Come on. It took djoker having one of the best seasons ever to keep fed from winning 2 slams.
What does it say about the state of the rest of the players on the tour when a 34 year old is Djokovic's biggest competition this year? Sure Djokovic had a great year but how much of that is due to lack of competition. The younger generation is really failing tennis.

Nishikori needs to peak for the Australian Open.mits the only slam he ever has a chance of winning before his body breaks down throughout the year.

Speaking of Slamless players asking too much of their bodies, Radwanska's 2016 schedule is apparently Shenzhen -> Sydney -> AO -> Fed Cup vs. USA -> Doha -> Dubai -> Katowice -> IW -> Miami -> Fed Cup -> Stuttgart -> Madrid (Rome?) -> French. Since she'll likely play 3 grass court tournaments as it's her best surface, she could play 15 tournaments plus 2 Fed Cup events by the end of the grass season, in an Olympic year. Insanity.

LuuKyK

Speaking of Slamless players asking too much of their bodies, Radwanska's 2016 schedule is apparently Shenzhen -> Sydney -> AO -> Fed Cup vs. USA -> Doha -> Dubai -> Katowice -> IW -> Miami -> Fed Cup -> Stuttgart -> Madrid (Rome?) -> French. Since she'll likely play 3 grass court tournaments as it's her best surface, she could play 15 tournaments plus 2 Fed Cup events by the end of the grass season, in an Olympic year. Insanity.

She is a known vulture. Anyway, she will probably lose pretty early in a bunch of those so its not like it matters that much. I think she has been doing this for a while now.

sam777

Another year over, wonder what next year will bring hopefully it won't be as one sided as this year but in reality it may well be.

Diamond

Pretty uneventful WTF this year, outside of Nadal's small resurgence. It's a shame. Djokovic deserves his success, but in a slightly different manner than in 2011. This year I feel it's more his consistency and seriousness in the way he's approaching his career that were rewarded. He wasn't as challenged as in 2011, even if Federer came close and Wawrinka produced a fantastic match in the French. You just feel the Tour is in a transition state, with several well installed around 30yo players naturally beginning to struggle with consistency and new players that are still too far from them physically and mentally. Hope for some surprises next season.

MIMIC when we gonna play bro? I promise I'll be gentle ;x

https://youtu.be/JEUZcVwlPsY

Nice serve ! Good form. If I were you I'd try to take the ball even higher if you can, you'll gain speed and security over the net.
Also foot fault lol.
But it's only one serve on repeat ! Like I already said to Mimic we want to see you in matches guys !

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I legit can't serve to save my life. :( Bane of my tennis. Good forehand, great backhand, good movement, decent at the net, then double fault a game away.

Top Bottom