• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Peru

Classic Radwanska (and other 'clever' tennis players) - GOTY one match, gone the next.

Surprised at the recent rise of CSN though.

Ricker

Ostapenko is a screamer,and a bad one at that...oh well,go Petkovic lol ;)

EDIT: And Petkovic bails out with a leg injury...Ostapenko was playing pretty great though,besides her service scream,I like her.

Deadman

https://www.facebook.com/Federer/videos/vb.64760994940/10153920813444941/?type=2&theater

The Rehab for my knee is going really well! I have now had a lot of great practices on the court and in the gym. As it is a long year, I don't want to push it too hard and come back too soon. Thus, I will unfortunately not be able to make it back in time for the great event in Indian Wells but I do plan on playing in the desert next year. After consultation with my team, I have decided to enter the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters. Thanks for the support and I will see you back on tour soon.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Stan wins Dubai. Think I read he hadn't won a match there before, so good for him. Pretty entertaining tiebreak in the second. Baghdatis played better than I thought he would, it's nice to see that.

Pretty surreal seeing Suarez Navarro scrunch her face up and fist pump into the camera before leaping into her coaches' arms after winning Doha. Took her chance when Ostapenko lost her cool as the winning line drew into view and took the biggest title of her life. Wonder who the next women to win a Premier 5 (or higher) level event with a one-handed BH will be.

The Stan/Baghdatis final was error-strewn before an incredible second set TB. Baghdatis had a bunch of set points to square the match but Stan was too solid when it mattered.

Peru

Oscars

CcXtyhpUsAABBwW.jpg

Peru

Sharapova making an announcement on monday. She\s out of IW because of arm injury. This could be it. I'm ready to be fucking devastated. I always envisioned a retirement to be announced with a full goodbye season. Please let it be a new coach or something trivial.

Ricker

Good match between Bouchard and Svitolina at the Malaysian Open final...rained delayed a few times and Genie had the lead 5-4 in the third set but a few errors killed her...still much better then last year for her,Svitolina has won all 4 of their matches so far,since Bouchard beat her at the Wimbledon Junior final in 2012.

LuuKyK

Genie choked that match away several times. Mental midget.

Sharapova making an announcement on monday. Shes out of IW because of arm injury. This could be it. I'm ready to be fucking devastated. I always envisioned a retirement to be announced with a full goodbye season. Please let it be a new coach or something trivial.

Yeah I das that. Please dont retire. At least play the olympics. T.T

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Sharapova making an announcement on monday. She\s out of IW because of arm injury. This could be it. I'm ready to be fucking devastated. I always envisioned a retirement to be announced with a full goodbye season. Please let it be a new coach or something trivial.

Sounds foreboding. Fingers crossed for you guys.

oti

Banned
Sharapova making an announcement on monday. Shes out of IW because of arm injury. This could be it. I'm ready to be fucking devastated. I always envisioned a retirement to be announced with a full goodbye season. Please let it be a new coach or something trivial.

Oh no. I love Sharapova. I don't want her to retire. She's a champion!

Obviously Sharapova is financially secure and can live off her brand and ventures the rest of her life. Sharapova is the type of competitor that wouldn't play in tournaments if she didn't feel like she could win so whenever she feels like she can't win slams anymore, then she probably will retire. Now may be that time. We shall find out tomorrow

LuuKyK

Obviously Sharapova is financially secure and can live off her brand and ventures the rest of her life. Sharapova is the type of competitor that wouldn't play in tournaments if she didn't feel like she could win so whenever she feels like she can't win slams anymore, then she probably will retire. Now may be that time. We shall find out tomorrow

Well she has always been a part-time busines woman, so yeah...

Still, she is yet to oficially announce her Sugarpova Chocolate line, there is also the book she is writing and her agent hinted at her buying a Fashion Brand. I am hoping the conference is about one of those things, but I know its sounds weird making such an announcement in that way.

LuuKyK

6 hours till we know if Maria is retiring for real.

I am not ready for this shit. :/

I will be such an emotional mess if its true.

Ricker

6 hours till we know if Maria is retiring for real.

I am not ready for this shit. :/

I will be such an emotional mess if its true.

A lot of the speculations are hilarious...some say she is buying the WTA Tour ;) some say she is pregnant...Chocopova announcement etc etc ;)

Never saw her Live,if she doesnt retire I would love to see her in Montreal this year...which reminds me,better start looking into tickets for that soon.

Peru

If it's a chocopova launch it will both be hilarious and piss me off a little with the worrying. But I think her management said it was not a business thing.

Well she could still win slams if she's healthy. But for a year now her arm has been bothering her and if it looks like a permanent thing, it might be more of a bother than trying to get fit for fight is worth.

/trying to talk myself into accepting it all

LuuKyK

If it's a chocopova launch it will both be hilarious and piss me off a little with the worrying. But I think her management said it was not a business thing.

Well she could still win slams if she's healthy. But for a year now her arm has been bothering her and if it looks like a permanent thing, it might be more of a bother than trying to get fit for fight is worth.

/trying to talk myself into accepting it all

That whatshername (courtney something) that is a reporter from the wta confirmed it is not related to Chocopova.

LuuKyK

If it is an announcement on retirement, I hope she finishes out the season. Or at least represents Russia in Rio

So do I. But if her retirement is based on an injury its probably an immediate one, considering she always said she exhausts all sorts of ways to treat an injury and will always do. So yeah...

So do I. But if her retirement is based on an injury its probably an immediate one, considering she always said she exhausts all sorts of ways to treat an injury and will always do. So yeah...

Has she played a match since her beatdown by Serena at the AO? Would be sadly fitting if that's how her career ended.

She hasn't, but it wouldn't really be, her career can't be said to have been defined by losses to Serena when she's got a career grand slam.

She could have won many many more without her in the way though.

According to Li Na, a lot of players simply play better when Serena is not in the draw.

RedAssedApe

Banned
that shoulder surgery in 2008 is what really screwed her over. gotta give her props coming back from that and getting the career grand slam regardless of how bad her H2H against serena is

that shoulder surgery in 2008 is what really screwed her over. gotta give her props coming back from that and getting the career grand slam regardless of how bad her H2H against serena is

She has had an amazing hall of fame career and is one of only a handful of women to complete the career grand slam in the open era. Who would have guessed she would end up with more French open titles than any other major? Careers are weird sometimes.

Unconfirmed Member
This is the strangest announcement of a failed drug test that I have ever witnessed.

Edit: After reading more about the circumstances of the failed test it doesn't seem so strange after all.

Peru

Well.. luckily she didn't beat Serena at the AO? Wonder what the punishment will be. Going to stay away from TennisForum for this one.

The only way to do this now is to come back and win a slam tbh

Top Bottom