• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

oti

Banned
wtf

Edit: Watching the conference it is better she did it this way otherwise she would have faced a lot of criticism.

This is Sharapova. This is "I'm going to Ellen to show off my candy" Sharapova. If she had not announced this herself her career after tennis would have been over.

This is Sharapova. This is "I'm going to Ellen to show off my candy" Sharapova. If she had not announced this herself her career after tennis would have been over.

I'm fine with her announcement. She wanted to control the message because if it got out that she doped without her speaking about it first, it would have looked way worse for her. Being open and honest is the best way to handle these situations

oti

Banned
I'm fine with her announcement. She wanted to control the message because if it got out that she doped without her speaking about it first, it would have looked way worse for her. Being open and honest is the best way to handle these situations

Yeah. I think it was perfectly fine and the right thing to do. Sharapova is known to be THE pro on the tour with a rigorous training schedule, always pushing herself etc. She's a business woman, she knows this stuff. Makes it even more disappointing that this will forever be part of her career.

Surprised Sharapova got caught, what an embarrassment for the quality control in her team. The Adidas doping program must have more stringent contingencies. Nike is definitely going around now checking with their athletes, they can't let this happen. At least trap yourself in a panic room or something.

so she used the drug legally for years and after it got banned, she got caught in her first drug test, feels like she really didn't know it's illegal now.

i give this a "meh", rating. stupid mistake tho.

The women's draw for Indian Wells is up.

Major early round matchups:
Azarenka v. Wozniaki 3rd round.
Sloane Stephens v. Bouchard in 2nd round

Semi's based on seeds
Radwanska v. Serena in Semi-final #1
Kerber v. Mugarutha in Semi-final #2

I'm sure heads rolled inside her camp after this came out. Unbelievable that nobody checked the new list of banned drugs, considering that plenty of lowly ranked players have to spend hours double checking the list themselves. Nike announced they've suspended sponsorship.

Looking forward to Indian Wells and Miami. Big tournaments for the likes of Halep, Muguruza, Kvitova, who've been struggling for any decent results so far.

clemenx

Banned
Kinda surprised sponsors are pulling out on Maria tbh. I see people being supportive due to the fact that she announced it herself and whatnot. And I don't really see her popularity really taking a hit.

Such an unfortunate event. Lol at Capriati's tweets btw, what a loony.

oti

Banned
Kinda surprised sponsors are pulling out on Maria tbh. I see people being supportive due to the fact that she announced it herself and whatnot. And I don't really see her popularity really taking a hit.

Such an unfortunate event. Lol at Capriati's tweets btw, what a loony.

Go away Capriati.

szaromir

Banned
They both posted on the previous page lol. And in the Sharapova thread in off topic. They're fine :p

For some reason I thought it redirected me to the first unseen post, not to the last page. Good that they're still alive, I was genuinely worried.

Man the USTA still hates "Woman of Size" Taylor Townsend. They made her play a pre-qualifying match for Indian Wells. She won that match so got an entry to the main qualifying draw....but so did the young white girl she beat in the pre-qualifying match. lol. Taylor won both of her qualifying matches and will be in the main draw for Indian Wells. The young girl she beat in pre-qualifying, also lost 1st round in qualifying. #rekt

oti

Banned
Man the USTA still hates "Woman of Size" Taylor Townsend. They made her play a pre-qualifying match for Indian Wells. She won that match so got an entry to the main qualifying draw....but so did the young white girl she beat in the pre-qualifying match. lol. Taylor won both of her qualifying matches and will be in the main draw for Indian Wells. The young girl she beat in pre-qualifying, also lost 1st round in qualifying. #rekt

wtf, I love her, so much power and umpfh and heart!

Milchmann

It's not a pre-qualifying match, but a whole tournament with 128 players: http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/en/event-info/bnp-paribas-challenge

It's not a pre-qualifying match, but a whole tournament with 128 players: http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/en/event-info/bnp-paribas-challenge

Oh wow I had no idea. Only $50 to enter too. I would have given it a go if I lived in So. Cal. Townsend won the draw, then won her 2 qualifying matches so she has played 8 matches before her first round match in the main draw. She may be tired.

Crazy that a tournament with a draw of 128 (256 on the mens side) rewards the sole winner of the tournament a spot in the QUALIFYING draw of Indian Wells. Not even the main draw. Just Qualifying. Think about that. Low level tour players have it rough

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
possible QFs (based on seeds):

Gasquet(8)-Wawrinka(3)
Murray(2)-Berdych(6)

Djokovic(1)-Tsonga(7)
Nadal(4)-Nishikori(5)

Diamond

Sharapova got the Taiwanese animation treatment. Too much .gif potential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEZwjGNRueQ

LOL

Introducing the Next Generation
https://youtu.be/NN3lhJ97JKc

I really hope Zverev stays healthy and for US America's sake that the Americans will actually amount to something. The current state of US American tennis is kinda embarrassing.

Hey they're finally making the new New Balls Please. I prefered the look of what they did 15 years ago. Funny that now only Federer (and Haas lol) are still playing. We all get old.
New-balls-1.jpg

Saw Fritz/Tiafoe. Despite going completely AWOL in the second set (15+ UEs in 29 minutes!) Tiafoe was quick of body and mind and had comparable power behind his forehand. Either he's very strong on return or has a bit of a read on Fritz's serve (he's now 4-0 in the H2H so it wouldn't be surprising) since it felt like Fritz was struggling much more than usual for brisk holds. Goffin is a winnable R2.

Kasatkina ran over Hantuchova 2&3. I try to keep my expectations in check for young players, but she is really, really good and hasn't played on her best surface yet since her breakthrough. Likely top 20-30 by the end of the year at minimum. Suarez Navarro next, who she thrashed 1&2 in Moscow last year, but CSN's raised her game since then.

Diamond

Murray on the Sharapova case. Once again he says a lot of right things :

Andy Murray says Maria Sharapova deserves ban for failing drugs test

"I think taking a prescription drug that you don’t necessarily need, but just because it’s legal, that’s wrong, clearly. That’s wrong. If you’re taking a prescription drug and you’re not using it for what that drug was meant for, then you don’t need it, so you’re just using it for the performance enhancing benefits that drug is giving you. And I don’t think that that’s right.”

"I read that 55 athletes have failed tests for that substance since 1 January. You just don’t expect high level athletes at the top of many sports to have heart conditions."

The Scot said he used protein shakes, energy gels and sports drinks but no longer takes any vitamin supplements, instead getting his vitamin intake through food. And he said tennis still needs to improve its efforts to combat drugs.

“I think all sports can do more. It’s better than it was a few years ago, last year I got tested a lot but I’ve been tested twice so far this year, three months into the year, which is clearly not enough.”

Nadal also declared that tennis "should be clean" and that Sharapova "must pay", even if, unlike Murray, he prefers the "honest mistake" version.

Interestingly, he was also asked about his personal case, as he has been suspected of doping several times (without any solid proof).

"I have never had the temptation of doing something wrong. I am very far from that, doping," Nadal told AFP.

"I am a completely clean guy. I worked so hard during my career that when I get injured I never take nothing (banned) to be back quicker."

"I heard it a few times again about doping from my person and I am a little bit tired with that," Nadal added.

"I believe in the sport and the values of the sport."

"The sport is an example for society. It is an example for the kids and if I am doing something that goes against that, I will be lying to myself, not lying to my opponents."

It's worth noting that Nadal was accused of doping by a well-known french ex-sports minister on radio the other day, who pretty much talked about the fake injury hiding a doping ban theory, saying it was probable it was true. Nadal has decided to sue her, and even the spanish sports minister said the comment was "surprisingly frivolous".

Milchmann

It's worth noting that Nadal was accused of doping by a well-known french ex-sports minister on radio the other day, who pretty much talked about the fake injury hiding a doping ban theory, saying it was probable it was true. Nadal has decided to sue her, and even the spanish sports minister said the comment was "surprisingly frivolous".

Interesting paragraph from Sharapova's latest Facebook post for everyone who likes to read between the lines:

I’m proud of how I have played the game. I have been honest and upfront. I won’t pretend to be injured so I can hide the truth about my testing.

Interesting paragraph from Sharapova's latest Facebook post for everyone who likes to read between the lines:
Oh my days. I always knew it to be true. Wonder how big this will get.

On a positive note, I'm most interested in the development of Jared Donaldson of the young Americans. I love how he takes the ball early, hits the ball deep, and he is not afraid to be aggressive. It was a welcome sight.

I kind of have an eye on who will lose early in Indian Wells. Normally we get some pretty good players at the Irving Challenger in between Miami. Hopefully Chung will be there.

I cannot watch Tiafoe play, his form is disgusting. He serves like he has boobs twice the size of Serena. His forehand looks like...I can't describe. And he moves like a marionette on ice being pulled in seven different directions.

miserable

After falling behind 3-2 to Spain's Albert Ramos-Vinolas in the second set, Kyrgios was docked a point by a line umpire for using “the F word.” The 20-year-old then appealed to the chair umpire, claiming that he never used the word.

“What the f--- just happened?” Kyrgios asked.

argues that he didn't use the f word
uses f word in said argument

what an embarassing clown, amazing how some people still defend him with "well the ATP needs more players with personality"

Ricker

So I finally tried TennisTV yesterday,just for 24 hrs,wanted to see the Stephens/Bouchard match especially,amongst others(Go Genie!!!! ;) ), since none of my 12 extra sports channel where broadcasting the WTA event,only part of the ATP matches,and I think its pretty good...the streaming quality is good,some weird pixels on real fast stuff but overall,the IQ is very good(720P)...considering grabbing the annual service...any of you guys have this...?

Faith

So I finally tried TennisTV yesterday,just for 24 hrs,wanted to see the Stephens/Bouchard match especially,amongst others(Go Genie!!!! ;) ), since none of my 12 extra sports channel where broadcasting the WTA event,only part of the ATP matches,and I think its pretty good...considering grabbing the annual service...any of you guys have this...?
Had it for 1 year. It was excellent.

oti

Banned
So I finally tried TennisTV yesterday,just for 24 hrs,wanted to see the Stephens/Bouchard match especially,amongst others(Go Genie!!!! ;) ), since none of my 12 extra sports channel where broadcasting the WTA event,only part of the ATP matches,and I think its pretty good...considering grabbing the annual service...any of you guys have this...?

Had it for 1 year. There were some tournaments that weren't available in Germany but other than that a good service. Stopped my sub after 1 year though, it's too expensive for me.

Top Bottom