• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

What a fight back by Zverev! Comes from a break down in the third to beat Dimitrov. As Sharapova's former boyfriend, the press needs to ask Grigor how much he knew about Maria's doping habits.

I just got TennisTV as well. Not especially to watch Genie though haha. It is kind of pricely but seems good so far. The highlight videos could be a little longer. I'd also like the option to mute the commentary separately from the main audio, surely we have the technology for this now.

oti

Banned
Oh yeah another reason I stopped my sub was their TERRIBLE redesign. One used to be able to filter all the full matches up to 5 years in the past or something like that. When I stopped my sub you had to click back through ALL their videos with no filtering options at all. I complained about that to them and they basically told me to suck it up. Nuh, I'm good.

Ricker

Yeah,the annual fee for TennisTV in CAD is 150 bucks...since they dont show Slams and I can see those on Sportsnet or TSN/RDS its a little expensive...might just go monthly a few times.

Diamond

Kristina Mladenovic on the Sharapova case. Ice cold :

“All the other players are saying she’s a cheater,” she said. “You sure doubt and think that she didn’t deserve all she won until now. That’s dreadful, but it’s good that it’s finally out. As far as I am concerned if I take an aspirin I worry 10 times about what I do. She’s been taking this drug for 10 years and it’s a serious drug. She has played with the rules and thought, if it’s not banned, then I can take it. For me that’s very disappointing. I don’t like the mentality to be the best by playing with the rules.

“She can play with words and find a good lawyer but on the principles of the situation, she’s wrong,” Mladenovic told the French newspaper Le Parisien. “She has no excuse that can defend what she’s done. For me there’s no doubt.

“She wasn’t really liked. I respected her for her career but she wasn’t really nice nor polite, let’s be honest. At least the good news to come out of all of this is that the anti-doping programme is working and that even if you’re among the best players you’re going to get caught and it’s going to get out.”
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...c-maria-sharapovapa-cheater-tour-simona-halep

Harsh words but I like to see this kind of reaction, as opposed to the cycling world for instance, which seemed to have always very ambivalent reactions to big doping cases. At least in tennis we have people who take clear stances.

Ricker

Kristina Mladenovic on the Sharapova case. Ice cold :

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...c-maria-sharapovapa-cheater-tour-simona-halep

Harsh words but I like to see this kind of reaction, as opposed to the cycling world for instance, which seemed to have always very ambivalent reactions to big doping cases. At least in tennis we have people who take clear stances.

Yeah,well said except the personal stuff...“She wasn’t really liked. I respected her for her career but she wasn’t really nice nor polite, let’s be honest.'' ...she really didnt have to say this.

Ricker

I've just been allocated tickets on Centre Court at Wimbledon on the 1st July! :D

Awesome....this is something I would like to add to my bucket list lol...go to one of the 4 slams...USOpen would be the cheapest and all but Wimbledon or Roland Garros would make me travel to Europe,something I didn't do yet ;)

Diamond

Yeah,well said except the personal stuff...“She wasn’t really liked. I respected her for her career but she wasn’t really nice nor polite, let’s be honest.'' ...she really didnt have to say this.

True, even if after reading what she said in french, it was more something like : "Despite her not being very nice, people like me respected her for her career. Now that her achievements are in doubt she won't have much support." But yeah, she's angry. Something else she said that the article I quoted didn't translate was : "Who does she think we all are ? When you see what we have to go through in training to enhance our endurance and resting capacities, to manage all the stress and emotions. You have to wonder if she has to make the same sacrifices. You wonder if she's a real champion. You wonder if she deserves all the things she has won."

I've just been allocated tickets on Centre Court at Wimbledon on the 1st July! :D

Nice, enjoy ! Don't ruin yourself with the strawberries !

Ricker

Bencic ousted by Rybarikova in 3 sets...Bencic almost made a comeback after being down 4-1 in the last set,Rybarikova was extremely nervous in the last few points,missing some really easy shots but she hanged in there...

Murray in trouble right now.(not anymore,third set) :p

Awesome....this is something I would like to add to my bucket list lol...go to one of the 4 slams...USOpen would be the cheapest and all but Wimbledon or Roland Garros would make me travel to Europe,something I didn't do yet ;)

This is one of my goals as well. Hopefully I can see Federer play at a Slam before he retires.

miserable

shoot time with papa Djokovic

“[Novak] will be the best tennis player in history,” he said. “I have been saying it since he entered tennis. Surely he will be one of the best sportsmen ever. “All of it is because he was sent from God. As a family, we tried to make God’s wish come true. He can win another 10 Grand Slams.”

As for Federer: “When Serbia played Switzerland in Geneva [in 2006], Novak was just 19 at the time. He had a deviation of his sinuses and couldn’t breathe. He had a problem with staying in long matches and long points. “Federer tried in every possible way to disrespect him because of his breathing problem. He showed himself to be the best player in the world but not as a good person at that time. Nobody has ever treated Novak like this.

“I don’t understand why Federer is still playing tennis. Why does he still play? He’s already 34.”

Diamond

shoot time with papa Djokovic

Here's what Federer said about it back in 2012 :

"I was just upset at him calling the trainer out for no obvious reason against my buddy, Stan, in a five-setter. That was it," Federer said.

"We had a quick chat about it in Madrid after that and things are cool since a long time between me and him.

"I've always respected him. Have I gone out for dinner with him? No.

"But (I've) had many meetings with him at the (ATP) council and then now with the grand slams. He's been nice to work with.

"I have no issues with him - and I hope you believe me."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/7235278/Roger-Federer-plays-down-Djokovic-animosity

At the time (10 years ago) I remember quite a few players took issue with Novak's trainer calls during matches. Seems like an overblown matter to me.

People, fans and players don't like Djocko because he has a long history of faking injuries when he is in a losing position.

Hell, it got so bad, Andy Murray last year ended up screaming " He always does this! He always does this!" in the middle of a tennis match, when Djocko manifested an injury when he was down in the match. Roddick has talked about it as well, including the fist fight he got into with Djocko.

It's kind of an ego thing, you see with many players. Djocko in particular in notorious for his disbelief in missing any shot or losing to anyone, so this sort of player tends to fake injuries for their egos sake. And Djocko is as bad as it gets. Or at least he was. You see other players do this. Retire right at the end of an ass kicking rather than take the O like a man. It's considered a very unsportsmanlike thing to do among players.

He hasn't been pretending to be injured against Murray like he used to in every other match. Anyway, Djocko even said after a match once, I could've finished if I wanted to, but I wasn't going to win, so I retired. He literally said that.

He was also the only top player that insisted match fixing wasn't an issue and only rumors and there was nothing to it. Murray, Federer and Nadal wanted names.

szaromir

Banned
lol he was up 5-2 in the third a few minutes ago felt like. Just checked again and it's 5 all

edit: speaking of choking :p

He was 4-0 up in the second, lost the advantage of a double break but broke again for 5*-3, then lost 4 games in a row. In the end Stan lent him a hand though.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
He was 4-0 up in the second, lost the advantage of a double break but broke again for 5*-3, then lost 4 games in a row. In the end Stan lent him a hand though.

Maybe he'll make the final and we can see another choke against Djokovic

Niraj

Another game (set, and match) for Milos.

Can't believe Berdych hit that one out. That was a decent tiebreak.

Niraj

Yep...great shots by Berdych,followed by UE or a double fault in a tiebreak...

His second serve really wasn't that great in the whole second set. Not terribly surprised he shrunk in the big moments.

Kind of curious about Zverev vs Nadal here. I haven't really seen many Zverev matches.

edit: Wow, he just wrecked that break point

Diamond

Yeah he's really solid now. Nadal didn't give him easy points and he took the set anyway. I think he still needs to put a little muscle mass on, but he's still very young and shows really good things from the baseline for someone his height.

Diamond

And ridiculous nerves from Zverev to serve the game out after that.

Edit : Cédric Mourier is a good umpire usually, I guess he gave a warning because it wasn't the first time Zverev was taking a little bit too long. But yeah, awful timing.

Top Bottom