• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

szaromir

Banned
Serena is giving her best Federer impression today. 0/9 on break points.

I certainly did not miss that bird of prey sound in the past two years or so. Hopefully she slides into irrelevance again.

Diamond

Rafa can retake it during the clay swing after Miami. Hopefully Djokovic can win Miami to put some pressure back on Rafa

IMO Rafa is far from thinking about his M1000 record of all things right now.

I haven't seen the match but apparently Raonic hasn't fully recovered from his adductor injury, which could explain why he couldn't rely on his serve. He maybe should take some time off.
Not that he could've done something against that Djokovic even at 100%. But we would've had a final.

Ricker

IMO Rafa is far from thinking about his M1000 record of all things right now.

I haven't seen the match but apparently Raonic hasn't fully recovered from his adductor injury, which could explain why he couldn't rely on his serve. He maybe should take some time off.
Not that he could've done something against that Djokovic even at 100%. But we would've had a final.

Yep...even when Raonic got his serves in,some at 140 MPH,Djoko just slapped them right back...amazing.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Quarters based on seeds:

Djokovic (1) v Berdych (7)
Federer (3) v Ferrer (8)

Nadal (4) v Wawrinka (5)
Murray (2) v Nishikori (6)

I thought Federer was out until Monte Carlo?

They announced the other day that he was going to play Miami.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Rematch of the 2009 US Open finals in the 2nd round of Miami

Federer vs. Del Potro

This is the fresh off injury rematch we all wanted to see

for the duration of one beautiful match we can pretend that we are living in the halcyon days of yore, instead of witnessing the death rattles of two cripples.

Cici Bellis has gotten a little taller. She's listed at 5'7" now and at 16 could still peak at 5'9" when she's 18.

She's still pretty weak, especially with her serve. She can grind with any player that doesn't overpower her like Serena or Azarenka

Diamond

The Del Potro versus federer second round is now official. Who's hyped for this clash of hobbled Titans?

It'll be interesting to gauge the level of play of each. But given how both come back from injury, it probably won't be an unforgettable match. Federer will aim at Delpo's backhand and Delpo will try to hit forehands in Roger's kneecap.

This year I managed to be reactive and I bought tickets for Roland Garros. They sell out so fast it's frightening, and even if you connect to the reservation website right when it opens, you are lucky if you find seats for the week-ends or the finals. And then you see empty seats on TV...
I have seats for the fourth round, 2 men singles, 2 female singles. Hope to see nice matchs.

Her serve seems to be either red hot or nowhere these days, and as soon as it goes way she panics. Curious to see how she does on the clay.

Ricker

Bencic retires with lower back injury...Venus got bageled by Vesnina in the first set...damn.

Lisicki choked away a 5-0 in the third set. Impressive, lol.

Poor Sabine...and I am about to jump ship on Bouchard,just a horrible performance against Hradecka on Wednesday in the third set,she just gives up and gets upset at herself so easily now.

Zverev won his first round 7-6, 7-6. Then he lost his second round 7-6, 7-6.

He's getting those tall man score lines like Isner and Karlovic already. I think I know where his career is headed

Honestly, he doesn't play like them (except for a big serve, obviously). He reminds me a lot more of a young Andy Murray. Likes to set deep and defend, slice his backhand a lot and wait for the opening. Edit: Except Zverev's forehand is his stronger side as his backhand can fall short too often, while with Murray it was the other way round. He's incredibly fast for such a tall player.

Djokovic applauded Kyle Edmund off the court after he beat him 3 & 3. Edmund showed he could hold up in long rallies against him and conjure up some genius winners on his forehand. He was gassed physically after one hour though, and his backhand needs more pop. Encouraging match.

Top Bottom