• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Ricker

Kerber almost blew it...tiebreaker in the third set against Arruabarrena,but she made it.

Baroni match was also pretty great against Mladenovic and Genie won ;)

Cibulkova said:
“I was surprised by the majority of the neutral comments, because actually people think something absolutely different.”

“I didn’t initially comment on the scandal, since I didn’t want to be the only one who openly expresses their opinion on this incident.”

“All I’m going to say is, that I do not feel sorry for Sharapova and will not miss her on the circuit. She is an absolutely unlikable person. An arrogant, cocky and cold person. When I sit near her in the dressing room, she never says ‘hi’.”

Cibulkova throwing some serious shade at Masha. Pretty funny

Milchmann

So Garcia called Irina Begu from Romania a gipsy during their match and Romania's former secretary of state made some posts on social media about it. German mainstream press picked it up. http://www.welt.de/sport/tennis/art...orgt-mit-rassistischem-Ausruf-fuer-Eklat.html

Garcia didn't.

A user on TF made a post based on a tweet where someone claimed he heard slurs, that post went viral, journalists picked it up, people in Romania got very angry and abused Garcia on social media.

There is no evidence of the slurs at all. Just some embarrassing, shameful "journalism" based on gossip and hearsay which ended in damaging Garcia's reputation.

Those baseless rumours about Garcia are disgusting. She likely has grounds to sue for defamation and should get her agent to look into it. Accusations of racism are too serious to ignore.

Kasatkina's first four sets of professional tennis on clay since her breakthrough at the US Open: 6-2, 6-1, 6-1, 6-1. Okay, Saisai Zheng and Ana Konjuh aren't huge scalps, but she's looking ever more like the real deal. Apart from her loss to Nao Hibino in Hobart (after she knocked out Venus Williams), all of her defeats this season have came against elite players (Serena at the Australian Open, Bencic in St. Petersburg, Vinci in Doha where she held match points, Pliskova in Indian Wells and Halep in Miami). She was also one half of the doubles team to end Hingis and Mirza's massive unbeaten streak.

She faces Louisa Chirico in the third round at Charleston. She'll be a strong favourite. If she wins she'll be on the cusp of breaking the top 30, with several months still to pass before she stands to drop meaningful points (she won her first tour level matches in Bad Gastein last year in July, on clay, where she lost to Sara Errani in the third round).

oti

Banned
Hm, well, I could've sworn the article stated there was a video that recorded the incident. The article I linked got updated stating the WTA analysed the situation and didn't find any misbehaviour so I guess that's that.

Shame on you, press.

LuuKyK

Genie retired from her match today in the third set. What happened? Fatigue?

Abdominal injury/tear.

Her coach forced her to retire, even though she wanted to continue.

She already had an ab tear last year after IW and carried the injury until after Wimbledon :( hopefully this one heals faster.

Very enjoyable contrast of styles between Siegemund and Keys, with the wildcard German coming through 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, rushing the net relentlessly and driving Keys mad with drop shots. But Keys still isn't showing signs of properly harnessing her power, and got increasingly frustrated with herself for missing wildly. While she's (obviously) still young, and may well go on to win the biggest tournaments, it's surely worrying that her game and temperament haven't improved much since her run to the AO 2015 SFs.

Looks like we're back to WTA draws collapsing in on themselves after I-Wells and Miami. With Radwanska pulling out of Katowice (and the defending champion Schmeidlova being thrashed in her first match), that tournament is anyone's for the taking. In Charleston, Bencic (back injury, to the point where she was wincing in pain when readying up to return), Bouchard (abdominal injury), Keys and Safarova (returning to the tour from illness and losing to anyone) all left today. Angie Kerber, defending champion, Venus Williams and Sloane Stephens are still in - the tournament director will hope for a good while longer, because beyond them the field is only appealing to the enthusiast fan.

Sloane Stephens showed serious fight to win Charleston, digging deep to come through after losing a tight second set against Kasatkina and holding on to the crucial first set of the final after Vesnina, playing the best tennis of her career, came back from 2-5 to hold a set point. At times her game looked flawless - extremely quick, great anticipation, untroubled on defense with her flowing strokes and slides, deadly with her groundstrokes (particularly her forehand cross and backhand line) and confident at the net. At other times though, she lost focus and coughed up easy errors, or got tight and double faulted. She's quite an enigma - with so much athletic ability and a propensity to lose focus, you'd expect her to try to blast her opponents off the court, but she actually plays within herself often, going for high margin shots and rarely even going fult tilt with her first serve. If she can improve mentally she will be a challenge for anyone on clay.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nice to see Roger start with a win. Of course, as soon as I turned it on he got broken at love when serving for the match lol

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Saw the end of the match...so Djoko is human after all ;) ,great with for Vesely...

Raonic struggled but managed to win a tight one.

Lots of tight matches today seems like. Berdych also lost in three, Goffin just won in a third set tiebreaker too.

Djokovic was off his game, frequently shanking or wildly mistiming his groundstrokes, but Vesely played the match of his life and held his nerve. He got through many of his service games with big bombs, but when he had to serve out he did it with tough play from behind the baseline and the terrific drop shot mentioned above. This is only the second time in Djokovic's career that he's lost to a player younger than him (the other, Kei Nishikori at the US Open).

Berdych lost his nerve towards the end of his match with Dzumhur, missing a crucial 2nd serve return at Deuce when Dzumhur was serving out. It would have been the upset of the day on any other day. Dramatic and chaotic match. Raonic and Goffin both struggled but edged through Cuevas and Verdasco respectively.

Top quarter of the draw is now very open with Ferrer pulling out - Goffin, Monfils or Vesely will likely make the SF from it. Whoever gets out through from Federer, RBA, Gasquet and Tsonga will then be favourite to reach the final.

I wanna talk about for a moment how pathetic Jack Sock is. That Houston final was something else. How in the world do you let freaking Monaco out maneuver you, and at times, even bully Jack Sock around the court. On to the next great hope of American tennis.

oti

Banned
Can't wait for the French to subscribe to Eurosport Player again and actually watch live tennis with you guys again for once. All I have are the crappy "shot of the day" videos the ATP releases on their YouTube channel.

;-;

Plus the Badminton Association now blocks all their matches in Germany (which they stream on YouTube, so progressive and it was unlocked over here until the new year). Not having Badminton to watch is such a shame.

;-;

Ricker

Can't wait for the French to subscribe to Eurosport Player again and actually watch live tennis with you guys again for once. All I have are the crappy "shot of the day" videos the ATP releases on their YouTube channel.

;-;

Plus the Badminton Association now blocks all their matches in Germany (which they stream on YouTube, so progressive and it was unlocked over here until the new year). Not having Badminton to watch is such a shame.

;-;

They show badminton on TV in Germany...? ;) can't remember when I saw a Badminton game up here in Canada on TV lol...

oti

Banned
They show badminton on TV in Germany...? ;) can't remember when I saw a Badminton game up here in Canada on TV lol...

No no, well I don't know really because I don't watch any TV, but the Badminton World Association live streams the biggest matches on YouTube and archives them. I can only link you a highlights video but you can find and watch full-length matches with excellent commentary on there. These streams were the reason I started watching Badminton, I'm in a Badminton sports club because of these streams. That's why it's so disappointing they now block all matches in Germany.

https://youtu.be/3W5K7HxlifQ

Ricker

No no, well I don't know really because I don't watch any TV, but the Badminton World Association live streams the biggest matches on YouTube and archives them. I can only link you a highlights video but you can find and watch full-length matches with excellent commentary on there. These streams were the reason I started watching Badminton, I'm in a Badminton sports club because of these streams. That's why it's so disappointing they now block all matches in Germany.

https://youtu.be/3W5K7HxlifQ

Ah ok,thanks for the link.

And Milos,wtf...I was doing a quick match replay look from Tennis TV(decided to keep it for another month) and that second set was dreadful...bageled by Murray,even the first set was dominated by Murray...

szaromir

Banned
Ah ok,thanks for the link.

And Milos,wtf...I was doing a quick match replay look from Tennis TV(decided to keep it for another month) and that second set was dreadful...bageled by Murray,even the first set was dominated by Murray...

Well, Botnic never had any chance against the mighty Clayray.
Yes it's that time of the year

From 30-15 up returning at 5-6 Federer missed a second serve return (in the net, not close), missed an easy volley then wildly overhit his forehand to lose. That's gonna sting. Had a real chance to at least make the final with Monfils in the semis. For Tsonga, biggest win of the year and the chance is now his.

Nadal v Murray SF... I see Rafa cruising unless Murray really brings it in a way he hasn't since Montreal last year.

Incredible tennis in the first set but then Murray tired. At one point Murray led 8-3 in points over 9 shots but ended up losing them 28-16 (meaning the last 33 were split 25-8 to Nadal). I wonder if he's too bulked.

Top Bottom