• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Wonder why Sam Stosur played 2 matches in Fed Cup this weekend. The tie was held in Australia and she almost always loses in her home country. Fed Cup was no different. She lost in heartbreaking fashion not once but twice this weekend and as a result Australia is relegated for 2017

Ricker

Although it didnt help last year,Canada's chances to win at the Fed Cup without Genie are pretty low lol...we might have a chance in the doubles but it wont even get there,I would of loved to see the young Robillard Millette play,they say she might be the next Bouchard but alas,unless Abanda wins her match.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
monfils surprisingly takes the second. hopefully he won't lose the third 6-2 or something.

edit: well, i tried to be optimistic.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
well, maybe this will give nadal a confidence boost and actually make things competitive at the french. i'd rather see nadal win another slam than djokovic winning all four slams.

sam777

Execellent week for Nadal. It is possible for Nadal to be in the top 4 by the time RG arrives if he wins 1/2 more tournaments.

Coachella.

She is also training on clay, based on the videos she is posting on instagram.

I wonder how long she's going to self ban herself from the tour. If the WTA doesn't officially ban her by the time the French Open rolls around, she may as well play in the French Open

milanbaros

Member?
I support Murray.

There are two top 10 players who have benefitted from lax drug regulation and testing. Murray isn't one of them.

I won't say who has a drug conviction. Not who has changed everything but their pills.

Diamond

I support Murray.

There are two top 10 players who have benefitted from lax drug regulation and testing. Murray isn't one of them.

I won't say who has a drug conviction. Not who has changed everything but their pills.

You said too much or too little. A lot of people say they "know what's going on" without knowing anything of substance, just reading "insider's" blogs and whatever else.
I support Murray too by the way, he's taking a clear stance and that's what we need to see.

sam777

I support Murray.

Why say anything then smh. You work in Tennis?

I was watching this match earlier today and wondered why there was a default.

Russian player Daniil Medvedev was mad at a call in his match against Donald Young. He claimed the call went against him because both Donald Young and the chair umpire are black. He was defaulted for making that accusation. No place for racism in tennis or any sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jp-97UzzXk

Edit: In related news, Donald Young won a match today!!

oti

Banned
I was watching this match earlier today and wondered why there was a default.

Russian player Daniil Medvedev was mad at a call in his match against Donald Young. He claimed the call went against him because both Donald Young and the chair umpire are black. He was defaulted for making that accusation. No place for racism in tennis or any sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jp-97UzzXk

Edit: In related news, Donald Young won a match today!!

The future of US tennis is here!

Milchmann

All German final in Stuttgart...Kerber against the qualifiier Siegemund,first time this happens I believe...

It is the first time. What a time for German tennis.
I'm very happy for Siegemund. Her on-court behaviour can be extremely annoying, but she plays very smart and with variety. But most important she has confidence and mental strength, which seems to be rare in women's tennis nowadays.

Ricker

Ah,it's too bad, Siegemund falling apart in the second set,Kerber up 5-0 now...

EDIT: and bageled. 2nd year in a row win for Kerber.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Is anyone surprised that he got broken here? I expect him to get wrecked in the second.

edit: he just did that out of spite

This still won't accomplish anything. Those who think he dopes will just say he's not getting caught because he's a step ahead of the testings.
After reading this BBC article, I'm still not sure if testing or even the biopassport are enough at all. At least the Nadal fallout should be interesting. Hopefully something happens in Spain with Operation Puerto soon as well.

Ricker

45 Farenheight in Prague right now,thankfully they are letting the women players wear leggings underneath the short skirts lol...I am a little surprise that in 2016 they cant always wear those or anything else,including the short skirts if they desire.

Diamond

After reading this BBC article, I'm still not sure if testing or even the biopassport are enough at all. At least the Nadal fallout should be interesting. Hopefully something happens in Spain with Operation Puerto soon as well.

It's true the article raises concerns. At least the best athletes of the sport (Federer, Murray, now Nadal) are taking stances and call for more controls. I've not seen the same kind of reactions in other sports yet. Maybe they're ALL lying to us but hey, sometimes you have to keep a little faith, or else you become completely disillusioned.

The future #1 and #2 battled it out in Munich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVaw0XHciAY

Thiem
won

Could very well be a slam final in 2-3 years.
So which one will be n°1 ? :)

Diamond

I feel like Thiem is currently ahead of Zverev. The German just needs more experience but his game is already very impressive.

Yes, Thiem is clearly ahead at the moment. He's playing top 10 since the beginning of the season, whereas Zverev has a lot of up and downs. But for a 19yo, what he does is impressive. Despite being 6'6 he doesn't rely on his serve too much and moves pretty well. I think he could become really impressive if he does a good physical development in the next few years. Difficult to say who will be better than the other just yet though, a lot depends on the choices and commitment they'll have in the future.

Ricker

Well there goes Kerber in the first round in Madrid...either she loses in the first or wins the touny lately lol ;)

And Genie is back and with a new coach for Madrid,Cyril Saulnier and apparently she will be back with Nick Saviano for Roland Garros...not sure having 3 sets of coaches is a good thing...?

oti

Banned
Well there goes Kerber in the first round in Madrid...either she loses in the first or wins the touny lately lol ;)

And Genie is back and with a new coach for Madrid,Cyril Saulnier and apparently she will be back with Nick Saviano for Roland Garros...not sure having 3 sets of coaches is a good thing...?

Oh man I wanna watch it. :(

What a match between Thiem and Kohlschreiber!

Top Bottom