• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Deadman

Nadal out of Toronto too.

Hi all, wanted to let you know that I won't be playing Toronto this year. I am not ready to play and I hope to be back in 2014 at that great tournament that has always treat me very well. I am continuing with my recup and practice. Thanks!

Wes

venison crêpe
Off to Wimbledon tomorrow. I get to see:

Federer v Del Potro
Azarenka v Serena
Djokovic v Murray
Williams Sisters v Kirilenko/Petrova

clemenx

Banned
Fuck, I think I'm rooting for Kiri instead of Big Maria in that semi. Will be hard for my heart.

I want to see a Fed - Murray repeat final. Crowd seems better here than in Wimby. I want them to go crazy.

Rain_on_me

Neo Member
'Roger picks his nose and flicks it towards his fans and the crowd reacts with roaring applause, bringing out his comical side to the courts.'

I feel like this could actually happen, after watching the events of today unfold, I should not be surprised. Case in point, Roger kicks the ball in disgust (footie style as you Brits would call it) and the fans go wild. He didn't even do anything spectacular and the Brits and everyone else (minus the Americans) were cheering him on, like really.

Anyways, I thought this was a tennis thread, anyways wheres the rest of the Djokovic defence force at?
Tmw should be interesting, Andy the Choker vs. the Joker, my prediction Djokovic takes it, although the crowd will try to be a factor, in the end the final will come down to SRB vs. SUI

btw - the top 2 spots in men's tennis are separated by 75 points, thus if/when Djokovic wins his next hard-court tournament (for example, Rogers Cup) top spot goes to him :)

clemenx

Banned
Just one game but I don't think I've seen Pony that consistent since forever. Will be hard for Fed if Del Potro isn't making many errors.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
With Nadal also out of the next tournament, is it something serious like an injury? Or is he basically depressed now maybe?

clemenx

Banned
With Nadal also out of the next tournament, is it something serious like an injury? Or is he basically depressed now maybe?

I think his knee thing is chronic, so it will always be serious enough that he will need a big rest at some point. The fact that he has to play EVERYTHING in the clay season to defend most of his points can't help. I don't think he should be playing Barcelona anymore, for example.

btw - the top 2 spots in men's tennis are separated by 75 points, thus if/when Djokovic wins his next hard-court tournament (for example, Rogers Cup) top spot goes to him :)

Djokovic has 1000 points to defend in Canada whereas Federer only has 90, so Djokovic will lose points unless he wins it, and Federer is almost guaranteed to gain at least a hundred or two.

There's also possible Olympics points to consider, 750 (gold), 450 (silver), 340 (bronze), 270 (4th)

PS/Edit: That means Djokovic could beat Fed in a bronze medal match and Fed would still lead by 5 points, lol

clemenx

Banned
This is by far the best Del Potro in years :/ Poor Fed. Just 2 UEs for Del Potro. Unreal.

Let's see if he can keep the level on the 2nd set.

clemenx

Banned
Who hates on Federer? Only MIMIC ;) People are allowed to root against him, lol.

If Del Potro keeps this level for the Hardcourt season, it's going to be very entertaining.

IISANDERII

Anybody in Canada watching the match? This commentator Jim Van Horny is fucking terrible in every way. He can't even pronounce Del Potro's name right: Del Patro Del Patro Del Patro. WTF

agrajag

Banned
Unbelievable ball bashing by Del Potro. He can hit a forehand right to the center of the court and most players except the top 4 can even hit that shit back. Amazing for Federer to hang in there and win that tiebreak.

Jay Sosa

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

agrajag

Banned
Delpo has to play a mixed doubles match right after this, ouch! I'm gonna go ahead and wager that they're not gonna win.

Jay Sosa

delpo for bronze please.

yeah I'm ok with that. Dude looked totally depressed and sad. I actually felt bad for him (not the biggest Delpo fan usually).

Please let Murray beat Djokovic and then once again succumb to the pressure :D

What a match. Who do you guys think is going to win the other semi?

Borekovic

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Holy shit, 19-17? Missed an epic match, really hope they air it again tonight

Wes must've been going crazy! How good was delpo?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Wow, Murray can take this :eek:

Also his hair grew fast :p

There's really no need for five set matches in any tournament before the final.
For mens I think five setters are more important, it really is a whole different ballpark from 3 sets. Fitness and how much to the fullest you can go is important, Federer said enough times he prefers 5 setters because of less chance of upsets if the opponent goes to the fullest, which is easier to do in less time, that's why we don't see Rosol type of stuff often during Grand Slams, dude was somehow on fire the whole match which is very impressive

Peru

For mens I think five setters are more important, it really is a whole different ballpark from 3 sets. Fitness and how much to the fullest you can go is important, Federer said enough times he prefers 5 setters because of less chance of upsets if the opponent goes to the fullest, which is easier to do in less time, that's why we don't see Rosol type of stuff often during Grand Slams, dude was somehow on fire the whole match which is very impressive

Well I don't think that's a good thing. Five sets feels like an artificial extension, you never get a five setter where players are fully focused all the way through, there are too many five setters with top players dozing off and then reeling of bagels and breadsticks in the last few sets. It's fine for a Slam final where you don't want a stumble in a set making the big difference, but as you say the extra two sets are a crutch against upsets. Of course Fed prefers them, it's why we see fewer upsets on the men's side, but that comfort does not make for more exciting tennis.

szaromir

Banned
Yup best of 3 is better overall, the tension is from the very first to the very last point.

Yay at Murray beating Djokovic, I'm glad the era of unpredictibility is back. :D

Top Bottom