• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

MIMIC

Banned
Prections for the Match???

I think Murray will repeat the victory over Federer

Murray in 2. Fed's gonna have to invoke his 2006 GOAT mode if he wants to win. And even then, Murray found a way to beat him :)

Murray is just a horrible match-up for Federer: great return of serve, superior defense, and a serve that is untouchable when it's clicking. And it's only a matter of time before he beats him in a slam; the Olympic final (despite Federer's exhausting SF match) was a sign of things to come.

Fed's route to the final will be if Murray has some sort of epic let down. Murray doesn't miss much, so if he starts getting down on himself, Fed can just wait for him to collapse and then make his push.

Nonetheless, I suspect that it will be a good match with great ballstriking. Although Murray matches up well with Fed, their game styles complement each other visually. Their matches against each other are some of my favorites (like the RR match they played at the YEC in 2008 and the 2010 Australian Open final).

Globox_82

Banned
On any different surface I would go with Andy, but Roger won this 6 times. Hard to go against him. But at the same time you feel it's Novak and Andy time now. Roger also played more tournaments then any other big 4 this season, I think he is a bit tired this year compared to last. I give it 51 vs 49 for Roger only because it's indoors.

MIMIC

Banned
LOL, one of my friends asked me if I wanted to play today (since it's such a nice day today and its rare to be this warm in November in Cleveland) so I said yes.

Guess I'll watch the replay. I hope it'll be a good match.

Xun

I was hoping to watch the match on the BBC, but apparently not.

BBC have really got to get their fucking act together with sport, it's pathetic.

szaromir

Banned
I was hoping to watch the match on the BBC, but apparently not.

BBC have really got to get their fucking act together with sport, it's pathetic.

Sky Sports' coverage of tennis is amazing, by far the best worldwide (from what I've seen on various Internet streams).

I love this match-up, but yeah I think at this point Murray's the favorite.

szaromir

Banned
He is Roger Federer. It really looked like he was going to lose 6-1
Federer looked toothless in the first 5 games. But we have a match now.

The way Murray's game been coming together this year gives high hopes for the next season. I think he could dominate on hard courts next year.

clemenx

Banned
I was surprised by Roger's reaction. He only looked good against Tipsarevic (lol) In the round robin. I hope he wins the tiebreak.

tnaden

As someone who can barely get the ball over the net with a one hander.. watching Federer rip one is truly amazing.

Match is over. See you again during the finals.

szaromir

Banned
Luckily it took only 93 minutes, Djoker will not fluke out against an exhausted opponent. Fed just made it 3-2 against Murray this year, hopefully he'll go 3-2 against Djoker tomorrow as well.

Xun

The crowd really did seem to fully back Federer here, very strange.

I guess a lot of foreigners would want to see the final tennis of the year, but even so.

szaromir

Banned
The crowd really did seem to fully back Federer here, very strange.

The guy won the biggest tournament in the world in that very city 7 times, as well as this tournament for the last 2 years. I think he can be pretty popular in London lol.

Deadman

One of my favourite things in sport is to watch the pundits all predict a murray victory only for federer to win easily. Today was a good day.

olympics were in wimbledon if i remember correctly ;).

nah you guys are right i might have switched olympics with wimby12.
::

i predict a 3 set win for djokovic.

Globox_82

Banned
On any different surface I would go with Andy, but Roger won this 6 times. Hard to go against him. But at the same time you feel it's Novak and Andy time now. Roger also played more tournaments then any other big 4 this season, I think he is a bit tired this year compared to last. I give it 51 vs 49 for Roger only because it's indoors.

Man I am good

Xun

I think it's insanely unsporting how the crowd boo'd Murray for changing his tennis racket.

It's a fucking joke.

szaromir

Banned
I think it's insanely unsporting how the crowd boo'd Murray for changing his tennis racket.

It's a fucking joke.

Large percentage of tennis fans in general seem to hate racket abuse. Djokovic always gets very loud boos whenever he destroys a racket (which happens quite often).

Had watch both of these on replay, was hoping for Delpo to win the first one, but at least I got what I wanted in the second SF =D

Now for tomorrow... tomorrow I'll be surprised if I get what I want.

MIMIC

Banned
Just watched the replay. What I learned: Fed's offense > Murray's offense.

There's no middle ground with Murray. It's either full-on offensive or full-on defense, and he employed a mostly offensive-minded strategy today and was thoroughly dispatched. Murray strung together a lot of points, but he's not an adept like Fed and Djokovic when it comes to offensive, since he made more errors than we are used to seeing from him.

The first set was great from him, but he started to cool down once Fed figured out what Murray was trying to do: blast the 2nd serve and try to get on offense during most of the points. On offense, Murray doesn't know when to pull back and went for way too much far too often. Fed was Fed.

As for the final.....as much as it pains me, I'm going for Fed in 3. I think Fed is far too motivated at the moment (having beaten his nemesis in the semis) and Djokovic has been such a slow starter in many of his matches this year, only to get fired up when on the brink of defeat. I don't think Federer is going to let him back in.

There's no middle ground with Murray. It's either full-on offensive or full-on defense, and he employed a mostly offensive-minded strategy today and was thoroughly dispatched. Murray strung together a lot of points, but he's not an adept like Fed and Djokovic when it comes to offensive, since he made more errors than we are used to seeing from him.

The first set was great from him, but he started to cool down once Fed figured out what Murray was trying to do: blast the 2nd serve and try to get on offense during most of the points. On offense, Murray doesn't know when to pull back and went for way too much far too often. Fed was Fed.

As for the final.....as much as it pains me, I'm going for Fed in 3. I think Fed is far too motivated at the moment (having beaten his nemesis in the semis) and Djokovic has been such a slow starter in many of his matches this year, only to get fired up when on the brink of defeat. I don't think Federer is going to let him back in.
It's funny because the clowns at espn said fed doesn't have enough firepower to beat Murray during the match. Hhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaaha

Large percentage of tennis fans in general seem to hate racket abuse. Djokovic always gets very loud boos whenever he destroys a racket (which happens quite often).
Tennis fans seem to hate any non-play action that's out of the ordinary. I've seen crowds boo players who approach the umpire just to acknowledge a point for the opponent. Weird.

MIMIC

Banned
It's funny because the clowns at espn said fed doesn't have enough firepower to beat Murray during the match. Hhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahaaha

Murray's defense allows him to neutralize Fed's fire-power (coaching out errors) but when Murray isn't relying on his defense most of the time, Fed has him out-matched. Murray isn't that type of player, and never will be; you can't just flip a switch and become a totally different player. Lendl is trying to get him to be less defensive but it's going to take Murray a while to get totally comfortable with his new strategy.

Sometimes Murray goes for a winner from a totally ridiculous area in the court (and misses), and it just demonstrates Murray's lack of experience in that department.

szaromir

Banned
Tennis fans seem to hate any non-play action that's out of the ordinary. I've seen crowds boo players who approach the umpire just to acknowledge a point for the opponent. Weird.
I think the general approach of tennis fans is "get it over with and play the next point FFS", people hate stalling between points.

Hilariously though in Shanghai ignored the umpire and the officials telling him to continue playing after it began to drizzle and simply refused to play and the crowd didn't boo him.

Murray's defense allows him to neutralize Fed's fire-power (coaching out errors) but when Murray isn't relying on his defense most of the time, Fed has him out-matched. Murray isn't that type of player, and never will be; you can't just flip a switch and become a totally different player. Lendl is trying to get him to be less defensive but it's going to take Murray a while to get totally comfortable with his new strategy.

Sometimes Murray goes for a winner from a totally ridiculous area in the court (and misses), and it just demonstrates Murray's lack of experience in that department.
Federer is the offensive GOAT. No wonder he outmatches Murray in that department, he's better than anybody. That said, it's very much form of the day between these two. Murray bossed Federer in 3 straight sets at the Olympics, in Shanghai it was a mix of offense and defense, but mostly his incredible returning that won him the match.

I think what separates Murray from the other 3 guys isn't his game but his mental resilience which just isn't there. Murray is 3-4 against Djokovic, but he started 6 of those matches playing better than Djokovic, once Djokovic stepped up his game for a couple of games he was immediately lost and full of doubt. Same story yesterday. Luckily of him in the US Open final he had over an hour to wake up and realize he can still win the match, and once he did he demolished Djokovic 62.

Globox_82

Banned

Yup this is why I am going with Fed. It is possible that Nole turns it around and win in 3 but he is a slow starter this year. Wimbledon and cincy against Fed were really slow starts. Novak respects Roger to much

Globox_82

Banned
I. Luckily of him in the US Open final he had over an hour to wake up and realize he can still win the match, and once he did he demolished Djokovic 62.

Meh Novak was tired at that point. Let's not forget he won Toronto and had final in Cincy just before USO, while Andy exited in early rounds, plus Andy had an day extra rest, Novak played Ferrer in delayed match. He got a bit lucky let's be honest. Match against Cilic, avoiding fed, being windy against Berdych, tired Novak - first set TB should have gone Nole way. Either way I am really glad andy won a slam, but until he wins one or two more ...

szaromir

Banned
Don't forget Djokovic was lucky to be in the final in the first place, if they put his match on Louis Armstrong parallel to Murray-Berdych he most likely would have lost on that day. Murray was simply the better player in the final, even if he sort of imploded in the 4th set.

Top Bottom