• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

szaromir

Banned
So delpo finally managed to hold it together, although it was certainly all Federror in the end. Well delpo choked a couple of times this year himself so he deserves a victory against Fed.

LuuKyK

t___t

I'm betting 6 or 7. She is really eager for vengeance, but its clearly not enough against the final boss.

I CALLED IT! :p

But yeah... she is just a boss. Her serve opens up so many opportunities for her to attack, and there are the aces too... Also Maria can't read her serve at all, she always goes to the wrong side. lol But yeah, at least it wasn't a complete beatdown.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Is anyone into tennis betting? Me and a friend are looking into it. Is unibet the best (legal) place? WTA seems basically bet on Serena and atp could be fun as well

IISANDERII

Watched a bit of the Valencia trophy presentation. They had that Carly Rae Japan song on endless loop the entire time. What a world.

szaromir

Banned
Is anyone into tennis betting? Me and a friend are looking into it. Is unibet the best (legal) place? WTA seems basically bet on Serena and atp could be fun as well

I bet several times on bet365.com. I don't see how betting on Serena can give you any profit though. :p

Even a no-legged Radwanska got break points and broke Serena.

Radwanska took Serena to three sets at Wimbledon so her variety game matches well against Serena. You would think that Maria would adjust her game to give herself a chance to beat Serena, but she seems content playing her game which plays right into Serenas hands.

szaromir

Banned
How much people won with that round 1 loss for Serena against Razzano (?) in Roland Garros? lol Must have been a lot.
Pre-match odds were at 1.01/24, but those who bet on Serena didn't win anything. Even if Serena had won, the gains wouldn't be worth the hassle.

I don't think you can make any serious money doing tennis betting unless you're a very hardcore follower. You need to know who's in form and who's not before bookmakers do.

Saty

Radwanska took Serena to three sets at Wimbledon so her variety game matches well against Serena. You would think that Maria would adjust her game to give herself a chance to beat Serena, but she seems content playing her game which plays right into Serenas hands.

Yeah, but i meant in their YEC match where Radwanska came in totally spent but still was able to bother Serena a little.
I believe that against Sharapova, Serena was only taken 1-2 time to deuce on her serve.

Federer pulled out of Paris.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I bet several times on bet365.com. I don't see how betting on Serena can give you any profit though. :p
Heh, should've figured that. I think men's tennis is even more of a gamble tho, I wonder what the odds of Federer/Delpotro was

szaromir

Banned
Serena might be the best player ever but I don't think she could ever become the greatest even if she won 4-5 more slams. The champions of previous eras (Court, Evert, Navratilova, Graf) simply won much much more than Serena has, they have 18-24 slams and ~100 other titles and career win percentage around 90.

Serena might be the greatest in terms of her longevity though.

Heh, should've figured that. I think men's tennis is even more of a gamble tho, I wonder what the odds of Federer/Delpotro was
1.24/3.95
You could make some nice money betting on delpo in this case :)

Globox_82

Banned
So djokovic vs querrey. Djokovic wins the first 8 games. Then he loses.

0-6 7-6 6-4.

That's why this tournament needs to move to Feb/Mar as recent tournament director comments suggest. It's clear that top guys don't take it seriously. In last 10 years it had different winners, coincidence? Think not. It is so close to WTF that big guys don't want to waste energy. Rog skipped it, Novak didn't wanted to work hard aka didn't give a shit. And I also expect Andy and even Delpo to not care that much. They might still get deep, but I don't think Andy is going to give 100%

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
That's why this tournament needs to move to Feb/Mar as recent tournament director comments suggest. It's clear that top guys don't take it seriously. In last 10 years it had different winners, coincidence? Think not. It is so close to WTF that big guys don't want to waste energy. Rog skipped it, Novak didn't wanted to work hard aka didn't give a shit. And I also expect Andy and even Delpo to not care that much. They might still get deep, but I don't think Andy is going to give 100%
Isn't it because Novak's dad is pretty sick in the hospital right now? He might've lost for that reason

Globox_82

Banned
Isn't it because Novak's dad is pretty sick in the hospital right now? He might've lost for that reason

His dad is okey now. Novak did have a stomach virus but regardless of all of that top guys tend to ignore this tournament because if you play in the final, the next day you have to be in London and play WTF against best 8 players in the world. It needs to move in Feb, early in the season, everyone would take it seriously because of the ranking early in the season.
http://www.thetennisspace.com/guy-forget-players-back-moving-paris-to-february/

God bless Novak's dad if he is sick. They need to cut the season off shortly after the US Open and then have a proper lead up to Aus with the Asian swing.

szaromir

Banned
^How much did you make?

Murray choked the second set so bad. Had a match point at 40-30 and made 3 UEs, from that point it was all Janowicz.

modulaire

^

unbenanntx7ixi.png

I prefer to bet on womens tennis though. Much more predictable if you follow the sport closely.

Globox_82

Banned

Not wanting to sound like a snob, but called it yesterday. Both are out. Tournament needs to move to February ASAP

Murray loses to unseeded players all the time in non-slams. I don' think they are tanking, they just don't have their mindset at the same level as they do in a major.

szaromir

Banned
Murray loses to unseeded players all the time in non-slams. I don' think they are tanking, they just don't have their mindset at the same level as they do in a major.

I think this Janowicz guy will shoot up the rankings next year though. He has an interesting game, the guy is over 2m high and his tactics against Murray is a frequent use of dropshots? What's better is that it was effective more often than not.

Saty

Ukrainian Bubka Jr, a professional tennis player ranked 186th in the world and boyfriend of women's world number one Victoria Azarenka, reportedly found himself locked in a bathroom in a friend's apartment in Avenue de Camoens after a night out.

The 25-year-old apparently tried to get out of the bathroom by climbing out of the window and going back in to the next room, but fell in the attempt.

Bubka Jr suffered multiple fractures and was rushed to the Georges Pompidou hospital where his prognosis is reportedly improving.
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/ten...lkAwRwc3RjYXQDdGVubmlzBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

szaromir

Banned
Janowicz is probably the first giant man in tennis whose ground game I enjoy, maybe also Delpo if you consider him a giant. edit:// Soderling in the zone was also great to watch

szaromir

Banned
I'll laugh so hard if a string of 17 consecutive Masters 1000 tournaments won by the big 4 will be stopped by a qualifier with 15-15 career match record.

Globox_82

Banned
This guy could be top 10 next year. Wow. yes he was bit lucky, but now with huge confidence, some money to invest in staff, could be dangerous

Please no, Raonic and Isner are the only monster servers the tour needs, and even then it's too much.

Although his serve probably isn't as big as either of those guys, and his ground game isn't as dull. Still meh.

Good for Radwanska though, now she finally has someone decent for Hopman Cup/Olympics!

Top Bottom