• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

szaromir

Banned
del Potro is in a great form and just as much dangerous as Berdych, Tsonga has had a very disappointing year and shouldn't be a threat, Tipsarevic is a clown who barely reached the tournament thanks to Nadal's withdrawal. So Fed got lucky by drawing Ferrer and not Murray. However, Federer drew Murray at US Open, in Shanghai and Bercy, so it's only fair Djoker gets Murray in London.

Just watched the replay on ESPN3. Very happy for Ferrer, finally able to nab himself a Masters 1000 title, he definitely deserves it. Also quite pleased with Janowicz's run (I'm Polish too, woo), hope he can keep his level up next year!

MIMIC

Banned
I'm back! ^_^ Bad things always happen to me during the U.S. Open :( And speaking of the U.S. Open.....

Ugh, never mind (although it was gonna happen sooner or later).

Anyway, Berdych & Murray are playing. Murray's up a break in the 3rd.

szaromir

Banned
I'm back! ^_^ Bad things always happen to me during the U.S. Open :( And speaking of the U.S. Open.....

The comeback king ran out of steam didn't he? :p Though he did have a successful one in Shanghai.

Murray had better stats on 2nd serve today, Berdych finally needs to develop some good kick serve or something if he wants step up to from being stuck perennially in the #5-#8 zone.

MIMIC

Banned
I don't know whether it's his form, lack of confidence, or just not caring, but Djoker's mind seems elsewhere. He doesn't seem totally committed to this match at all; just going through the motions.

Tsonga has been the slightly better player so far....at least on serve.

szaromir

Banned
One thing I don't like about Federer is when he plays lesser opponents, once he gets a break in a set, he never tries on subsequent return games, just wants to finish points ASAP, knowing that he can cruise on his service games. It's probably smart, but is quite annoying.
edit: haha, just to prove me wrong Federer has played great throughout the second set

One thing I don't like about Federer is when he plays lesser opponents, once he gets a break in a set, he never tries on subsequent return games, just wants to finish points ASAP, knowing that he can cruise on his service games. It's probably smart, but is quite annoying.
edit: haha, just to prove me wrong Federer has played great throughout the second set

20's Fed would give more effort after a break, but 30's Federer is self aware of strategic energy conservation.

szaromir

Banned
20's Fed would give more effort after a break, but 30's Federer is self aware of strategic energy conservation.

I realize that. If your serve is as reliable as Fed's (3 consecutive DFs against Murray notwithstanding :p), it's probably a great strategy to win matches. You play much more games than double bageling the opponent, but you come off the court nowhere near as tired.

Fed was incredible in the entire second set though, effectively bageling Tipsarevic by winning 6 games in a row. Great movement as well, haven't seen him playing that well since Wimbledon probably.

szaromir

Banned
Didn't watch the match but Murray lost again after being a set ahead?

As usual, Andy not doing enough in the crucial moments, particularly several unforced errors at 5-5 in the third.

Marray-Nielsen is one of the most amazing stories in tennis.

MIMIC

Banned
Novak, FTW!

So happy Novak won. I hate this match-up. It's so fucking sloppy whenever they play these days. Either someone has a monumental choke, or one is relying on errors because of how well the other person's defense is (a la that disgusting 50+ stroke rally at the U.S. Open). Ugh.

szaromir

Banned
Tipsarevic thinking "How did I get into this tournament again?"
This is an embarassment... He should have withdrawn (if only to see who would play between Gasquet and Almagro having the exact same amount of points).

szaromir

Banned
Federer really exposes the overachiever in Ferrer. Djokovic does this as well.

What overachieving? He hasn't won a slam or reached a final. He consistently beats guys ranked lower directly below him, so he's achieved more or less how he plays.

MIMIC

Banned
What overachieving? He hasn't won a slam or reached a final. He consistently beats guys ranked lower directly below him, so he's achieved more or less how he plays.

You're right; he hasn't exactly overachieved (but he won a Masters *barf*), but I get the feeling that he THINKS that he belongs among the tennis elite. Just the way he carries himself during matches, in spite of his game. It's Novak and Federer's job to keep him away from slam finals (I would say Murray, too, but who the hell knows with him: he just barely got by in their Australian Open and Wimbledon matches).

Anyway, both Fed and Novak have secured their spots in the WTF semis; both went 3-0 in their RR groups.

EDIT: Oops....Fed hasn't gone 3-0 YET; still 2-0 with del Po to go.

Fed still has Delpo tomorrow, unless you're thinking that's just a joke. His spot is secured though, cause of 2 set victories, but yeah.

szaromir

Banned
So Federer didn't establish a record of most victories over one player in a single season. Maybe he'll get another shot in the final lol.

tbh, if I were Fed, I'd think Delpo has a better chance at taking someone out in the semis than Ferrer does... ALL PART OF THE CONSPIRACY

MIMIC

Banned
Ferrer turned it around and is looking to win in 3. It's currently 4*-1, Ferrer (3rd set)

EDIT: Ferrer wins, so the semi-finals are set

Djokovic vs. del Potro
Federer vs. Murray

clemenx

Banned
I hope this Del Potro surge is real and he can keep this level for the start of next season and this is not just everyone else being tired :(

MIMIC

Banned
I forgot how early the match was supposed to be. I just tuned in as soon as Novak broke back in the 2nd (to level it at 2-2 or 3-3, IIRC).

Keep it up, Novak! (who will probably get beaten in the finals, lol)

MIMIC

Banned
Awesome 3rd set by Novak. His return of serve got even better and he started hitting with more conviction.

Next up: Fed and Murray in about 2 1/2 hours.

Top Bottom