• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Xun

rafario.jpg
I like Nadal so I didn't want to laugh at this. :(

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So who was tennis player of the year? I think probably Murray looking at how he won the Olympics, in his own country no less + first GS

MIMIC

Banned
So who was tennis player of the year? I think probably Murray looking at how he won the Olympics, in his own country no less + first GS

Murray would be 3rd, IMO

1. Djokovic: 1 slam, 2 slam finals, 3 Masters, Year-End Championship winner, spent most of 2012 at No. 1
2. Federer: 1 slam, 3 Masters, spent some time at No. 1
3. Murray: 1 slam, no Masters, Olympic Gold.

Career-wise, I'd say that Murray ranks 2nd in terms of achievements this year. Fed would be at the top since broke the record for most weeks spent at No. 1 (302), plus his win at Wimbledon.

Bigfoot

Djokovic had the best year with a slam + YEC, which is better than a slam + OG. However I guess I could see the argument for Murray in some ways since he finally got a slam and the Olympics only happen every 4 years.

Also, looking back I see there is still people bagging on Fed for being a "douche". I don't think he is at all. He may come across a bit smug in interviews but if you see videos of him practicing or hanging out with other players, you would see that he is pretty much a fun relaxed guy that most of the players like. After all, he wouldn't consistently keep getting the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award which is voted on by other players if they didn't like him.

I think the Fed hate comes from his interviews which are probably a bit too PR trained like lots of top athletes. Also, he is Swiss and every Swiss I've known in real life has the same "smug" type of attitude when talking in English as Federer does. I think it is part Swiss culture and part speaking in a language that is not your main one.

Globox_82

Banned

Lets be realistic here.
Novak had 11 finals, won 6 lost 5. 3 GS finals won 1. 6 Master finals won 3. One 500 title and End year championship title. 6 titles in total, 5 big ones.

Andy had 6 singles finals won 3. GS 1 final, won 1. 2 master final won 0. One 250 title. Gold and silver medal(in doubles-btw this is not counted when voting for player of the year but even if it does it doesn't change much). On top of that Olympic medal never really ranked up there with slams just if that wasn't clear.

End year points
Djokovic 12.920
Andy 8000
ALMOST 5000 difference. That explains everything.
Just because he won his first slam, doesn't mean you ignore what someone else has achived. He was not as consistent as Novak and Roger were, and even Rafa before the wimbledon. If there was no injury who knows what would have happened. Next season Andy needs to be more consistent.

szaromir

Banned
He looks more like John McEnroe in that wig :p
Djokovic had the best year with a slam + YEC, which is better than a slam + OG.
It's not.

Djoker had the best 2012 season by considerable margin, but no one was wondering at the beginning of the season who would snatch YEC, all speculations were focused on slams and the Olympics.

Don't get me wrong Rogers one handed BH is the best one handed in biz but two hander is more solid and safer, has more power, etc. Since he has limited BH he has to attack with best stroke ever, his FH and that's his game, he has to go for it. If Roger had two handed BH he be now at 20+ slams, and would be still beating these guys, I believe.
I call BS on that one. Yes he tends to shank BH often, but it used to be much more solid back in the day. 2HBH would probably hold up better against Rafa's forehand, but he would probably still be owned by Rafa on clay and he was not meeting Nadal outside clay all that often.

Against Novak, it seems mostly mental for Roger, once he loses one big point he implodes, last week he missed the sitter on the first set point in the second set and after that it was as if he lost all the confidence. Same story SF USO 2011, on the first match point Djoker hit that big FH return and Fed mentally went away.

Djokovic easily. Still great for Murray that he won his first grand slam (finally), and that he grabbed Olympic gold in his home country, but those two single achievements can't match the consistency Djokovic displayed over the whole year.

Gustavo Kuerten def. Novak Djokovic today 7-6, 7-5 in an exhibition. I think when the top players play exhibition matches against retired competition, they are secretly giving them motivation to un-retire and get back on tour. :p

Globox_82

Banned
I have a special relationship with Djokovic because we share the same culture. He is so nice to me, he helped me when I was younger and we talk the same language. He gave me advises in the early stages of my career, even when I was still playing challengers. He came to talk with me and let me train with him. He was so generous.
- Milos Raonic in lequipe.fr

nice

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
ANyone checking the Federer tour in South America? It's pretty entertaining, would be fun to attend a match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3QhjP610rY

Just because he won his first slam, doesn't mean you ignore what someone else has achived. He was not as consistent as Novak and Roger were, and even Rafa before the wimbledon. If there was no injury who knows what would have happened. Next season Andy needs to be more consistent.
No doubt, no doubt. If you look at actual performance and winning, he's far behind. Significance wise tho I'd say he's up there for the year, things got shook up again in tennis. Last time a slam got won outside of big 3 was with delpotro and even before that was Safin in 2005

ANyone checking the Federer tour in South America? It's pretty entertaining, would be fun to attend a match

The crowd in Argentina was huge and passionate, seems like a pretty nice market for tennis there, don't know why the ATP isn't biting.

Petkovic is great. Attractive, fun personality, witty. One of the few sportspeople actually worth following on Twitter.

Anyways, Nadal just pulled out the Abu Dhabi exhibition that was supposed to be his return to tennis before the AO due to a "stomach virus". I wonder if he'll pull out of the AO..

Globox_82

Banned
The crowd in Argentina was huge and passionate, seems like a pretty nice market for tennis there, don't know why the ATP isn't biting.

Petkovic is great. Attractive, fun personality, witty. One of the few sportspeople actually worth following on Twitter.

Anyways, Nadal just pulled out the Abu Dhabi exhibition that was supposed to be his return to tennis before the AO due to a "stomach virus". I wonder if he'll pull out of the AO..

ugh please no

Deadman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/20859522

Nadal out of Australian open

As my team and doctors say, the safest thing to do is to do things well and this virus has delayed my plans of playing these weeks. I will have to wait until the Acapulco tournament to compete again although I could consider to play before at any other ATP event

My knee is much better and the rehabilitation process has gone well as predicted by the doctors, but this virus didn’t allow me to practice this past week and therefore I am sorry to announce that I will not play in Doha and the Australian Open, as we had initially scheduled.

BowieZ

Banned
Well some of the biggest names in tennis arrived today outside my fucking house lol to prepare for the Brisbane International. Well not really, the Tennis Centre is 800 metres away, but I'm sure I'll run into some of them at 7/11 etc. :p

Deadman

After the AO and Doha are dropped he will have 5400 points if ive added it up right. That would put him 5th currently. Will depend on what happens at the AO for the other players though.

This is depressing now. I think we all knew Nadal's injuries would end his career but a stomach virus taking him out of a Slam is sad. I hope he gets the proper rest and recovers well so he can go out with bang rather than a whimper.

Globox_82

Banned
This is horrible....it messes up the draw going into RG. Rafa will still most likely be nr 5 and what if 3 out of "big four" end up in same half? ugh Draw will matter more then ever this season I believe.... sad new for tennis Fans

LuuKyK

Playing tennis as a hobby and having just went through a surgery on my knee myself I kind of feel how bad this must be for him that is a pro, even if I'm not his biggest fan.

Peru

Sucks to see his career effectively end like this. He put his body through too much early in his career, and apparently the damage is irreversible.

Eh, I wouldn't say it's that bad yet - people have said that before and then he returns to own everyone without losing games at Roland Garros.

But it's what happens when you play like that and no one is allowed to say 2013 slam wins have asterisks behind them.

Globox_82

Banned
I don't think rafa is done, but at the same time I am not buying stomach BS. I do believe rafa might only play clay and grass tournaments from now on and play for next 5 years and take 4-5 more slams...

qindarka

Banned
I don't think rafa is done, but at the same time I am not buying stomach BS. I do believe rafa might only play clay and grass tournaments from now on and play for next 5 years and take 4-5 more slams...

It will be a tall order getting 5 more slams if he only plays half of them. He isn't exactly young for a tennis player either, he is around the age when players start to decline a little.

Globox_82

Banned
Did anyone else watch Novak destroy Ferrer ? I know it's exo but Ferrer is not a guy that takes things lighly, and he didn't play poorly, novak was just of this world ...

Top Bottom