• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

T-0800

well it is easy to compare Feds generation with current one. Fed generation was not the greatest. The only one that had enormous talent(other then Fed) was Safin, but he was more injured then he was playing. Sadly. Roddick is good player, but not a world class talent. But I would not compare Sampras era with Rogers or current because sport changed a lot with slowing of the courts and new racket tech.

Kind of moot when Fed still beats top 5 players and was No 1 last year for a time.

Globox_82

Banned
Kind of moot when Fed still beats top 5 players and was No 1 last year for a time.

Not really its quite simple. Last year after USO Novaks gets injured, if i remember well he comes back during Basel loses SF to Kei and wins only one match at WTF - no points after USO. Roger has great fall and wins some tournaments that others were not playing or were injured/burned out by the time they were played, namely Basel, Paris and WTF. During WTF last year Murray plays only one match, gets injured pulls out. Novak wins only match due to shit form. Nadal also burned out goes out in the group section also winning only one against Fish.
Next year(2012) Roger plays a lot of tournaments early on to collect points, playing Rotterdam after many years. But that's okey nr was his goal. Let's get back to the point. Novak had a lot of points to defend early in the year. And luckuly for Roger there was no Nemesis of his at Wimbledon Known as Rafa. A lot of things fell his way but he deserved it.
Let's not forget that he has negative record vs Rafa 18 vs 10, against Andy 10-9, and probably soon to Novak atm 16-13 for Roger.
my point was not that roger suck (which is something you would like to believe) but that current era is much better then his when he played like of Roddick, Safin, Hewitt, Naldbandian, Davidenko, etc. and won most of his slams. We see how one injured player (Nadal) makes a difference in a year. Roger and andy winning Wimbledon, and USO - I don't think that would have happened if Rafa was injury free. That was one point. How thougher it is today to win slams. Even someone like Berdych has taken Roger twice (or more not sure) in slams. This year and 2010 Wimbledon. Much better better players today then fed generation. Pure and simple. Fed still world class.

T-0800

My point is (not really made in my last post) that Fed is still playing in his time. He beat Novak and Andy last year to win Wimbledon and also regained the No 1 ranking. He didn't win Wimbledon by beating has beens.

I guess my point is that his time isn't over until he can no longer compete on a consistant basis. Look at Hewitt for example.

qindarka

Banned
Not really its quite simple. Last year after USO Novaks gets injured, if i remember well he comes back during Basel loses SF to Kei and wins only one match at WTF - no points after USO. Roger has great fall and wins some tournaments that others were not playing or were injured/burned out by the time they were played, namely Basel, Paris and WTF. During WTF last year Murray plays only one match, gets injured pulls out. Novak wins only match due to shit form. Nadal also burned out goes out in the group section also winning only one against Fish.
Next year(2012) Roger plays a lot of tournaments early on to collect points, playing Rotterdam after many years. But that's okey nr was his goal. Let's get back to the point. Novak had a lot of points to defend early in the year. And luckuly for Roger there was no Nemesis of his at Wimbledon Known as Rafa. A lot of things fell his way but he deserved it.
Let's not forget that he has negative record vs Rafa 18 vs 10, against Andy 10-9, and probably soon to Novak atm 16-13 for Roger.
my point was not that roger suck (which is something you would like to believe) but that current era is much better then his when he played like of Roddick, Safin, Hewitt, Naldbandian, Davidenko, etc. and won most of his slams. We see how one injured player (Nadal) makes a difference in a year. Roger and andy winning Wimbledon, and USO - I don't think that would have happened if Rafa was injury free. That was one point. How thougher it is today to win slams. Even someone like Berdych has taken Roger twice (or more not sure) in slams. This year and 2010 Wimbledon. Much better better players today then fed generation. Pure and simple. Fed still world class.

Really, those were all great players.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
...poor Fed.

His achievements are always marred by the fact that his rivals are getting injured/not at their best.

Well tough luck for them.

I mean give me a break, come on. The tennis competition is not limited to just what happens in the court; taking care of your body is also the integral part of the whole competition of the sport. Thinking that Fed's achievements are somewhat lessened due to Novak/Nadal/Murray/Whoever else is there are injured or not present or not at their best is just.... gah... Well in that case they should have taken better care of their bodies then since getting/staying fit is part of the competition whether you like it or not.

If Nadal cannot compete for whatever reason, that's his own fault, it has nothing to do with Fed, and all it shows that Fed took care of his body much better than Nadal took care of his. End of story.

qindarka

Banned
...poor Fed.

His achievements are always marred by the fact that his rivals are getting injured/not at their best.

Well tough luck for them.

I mean give me a break, come on. The tennis competition is not limited to just what happens in the court; taking care of your body is also the integral part of the whole competition of the sport. Thinking that Fed's achievements are somewhat lessened due to Novak/Nadal/Murray/Whoever else is there are injured or not present or not at their best is just.... gah... Well in that case they should have taken better care of their bodies then since getting/staying fit is part of the competition whether you like it or not.

If Nadal cannot compete for whatever reason, that's his own fault, it has nothing to do with Fed, and all it shows that Fed took care of his body much better than Nadal took care of his. End of story.

Of course, some injuries are really unfortunate, such as Muster getting hit by a car or Seles getting stabbed. But Nadal's and to some extent Djokovic's injuries can be at least partly attributed to their style of play. Also, them being burnt out or having 'shit form' at the end of 2011 is definitely their own fault. And Nadal lost fair and square at Wimby 2012, he was in the draw and got knocked out, can hardly hold that against Fed.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Of course, some injuries are really unfortunate, such as Muster getting hit by a car or Seles getting stabbed. But Nadal's and to some extent Djokovic's injuries can be at least partly attributed to their style of play. Also, them being burnt out or having 'shit form' at the end of 2011 is definitely their own fault. And Nadal lost fair and square at Wimby 2012, he was in the draw and got knocked out, can hardly hold that against Fed.

Which is why it is incredibly annoying when people say, oh of course Fed wins because Novak/Nadal is injured/not at his best/not participating/knocked out. They, and Fed too, does not play only each other, they play the whole field too. If one of them getting knocked out and any other win, well tough luck because that is also part of the competition. If one of them getting injured/unfit while the others can provide their best, well tough luck because that is also part of the competition.

Of course I don't mean truly unprecedented stuff like Seles.

NZer

Don't underestimate Hewitt, Safin, Nalbandian, etc. just because of their slam numbers/record vs prime Roger. They were really great players. Hewitt, particularly, is almost underrated because he couldn't dominate at the top and was no. 1 in a transition period between greats. (And also he was pretty annoying in many ways.) But damn, could he play. He was no walkover. Even hobbled in the last few years, he can compete with top players for stretches. I think back to Roland Garros '06 and Hamburg '07 vs Nadal - both clay, Nadal at the top, Hewitt on comebacks, Hewitt's worst surface, but his class shines through. NOTE: I am not suggesting Hewitt is anything near as great as Nadal. But nor is he anything like a Ferrer (the best 'retreiver' atm).

Don't underestimate Hewitt, Safin, Nalbandian, etc. just because of their slam numbers/record vs prime Roger. They were really great players. Hewitt, particularly, is almost underrated because he couldn't dominate at the top and was no. 1 in a transition period between greats. (And also he was pretty annoying in many ways.) But damn, could he play. He was no walkover. Even hobbled in the last few years, he can compete with top players for stretches. I think back to Roland Garros '06 and Hamburg '07 vs Nadal - both clay, Nadal at the top, Hewitt on comebacks, Hewitt's worst surface, but his class shines through. NOTE: I am not suggesting Hewitt is anything near as great as Nadal. But nor is he anything like a Ferrer (the best 'retreiver' atm).

Nalbandian and Safin are both really talented players and at their bests could easily challenge/beat prime Roger. (just look at the AO 2005 SF between Fed and Safin where Safin won, it's a great match)

Mentally though they're messes. ;p

Man i don't know what to think about nadal. I think he just doesn't care about competing for the moment. Not really convinced about a sudden injury that takes him out for months when he publically stated that his knees where fine before his last match. He didn't even call the trainer that match. That Rosol beatdown maybe made him realize that he is tired from all of this, he said something like that once already.

That silent ban is crazy talk but it would sure be good drama. He comes back rested and wins the clay season and the sports media swoons over his amazing comeback. I just know it.

I feel like Roddick isn't being given enough credit there either. He was quite dangerous at his best and frankly if it wasn't for Fed, Roddick would probably have quite a few slams to his name (He lost to Fed in 4 finals, 2 semis and 1 QF at least).

szaromir

Banned
Don't underestimate Hewitt, Safin, Nalbandian, etc. just because of their slam numbers/record vs prime Roger. They were really great players. Hewitt, particularly, is almost underrated because he couldn't dominate at the top and was no. 1 in a transition period between greats. (And also he was pretty annoying in many ways.) But damn, could he play. He was no walkover. Even hobbled in the last few years, he can compete with top players for stretches.
As great as Federer was in 2004, I don't think Djokovic or Nadal would lose two sets to love against him in a slam final.

At the moment the top 4 players have great rivalries, but sadly that's about it. The dearth of young superstars is depressing.

As great as Federer was in 2004, I don't think Djokovic or Nadal would lose two sets to love against him in a slam final.

i think prime federer could destroy djoker on a fast hardcourt. but nadal no way, nadal is just a nightmare match up for federer. the game got slowed down way to much.

qindarka

Banned
i think prime federer could destroy djoker on a fast hardcourt. but nadal no way, nadal is just a nightmare match up for federer. the game got slowed down way to much.

Federer has routinely beaten Nadal soundly in the Year-End Championships. They don't meet much on 'fast' HC's but I reckon Federer could have taken him there in his prime and before the mental block set in for real. The H2H was only 8-6 at the end of 2007 after all.

Don't think you are giving Djokovic enough credit there. He beat prime Federer at Montreal in 2007 and gave him a tough match in the US Open final, this before he won a slam.

So the ABN Amro tournament in Rotterdam is coming up, any Dutch Gaffers going? They don't release the schedule until a week before (I guess this is standard? Dunno...), so I have no idea for what day to get tickets. A lot of the big guys are going to be there (Federer, Del Potro etc) but I really want to see Federer (I don't even care about the opponent or whether it's a first round or later game). I'd be disappointed if I didn't. Does anyone know how they usually set up the games? They have a day session from 11 to 730 and then from 730 onwards. Do the big guys usually play early or late or is there no logic behind the madness? Really want to see Fed =(

Looks like John Isner fucked up his knee. Hope it gets better before the AO. I'm really starting to doubt any American man will make it into week two of the AO

What happened?

Victoria Azarenka is blaming a bad pedicure for the injury that forced her out of a Brisbane International semi-final against Serena Williams.

The top-ranked Azarenka announced half an hour before the scheduled start of Friday’s match that she had to withdraw after having treatment for an infected big toe on her right foot, saying she couldn’t risk aggravating the problem ahead of her attempt to defend her Australian Open title starting Jan. 14.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...out-of-brisbane-international/article6937334/

szaromir

Banned
Didn't want to get destroyed again, huh?

Yeah, her excuse is ridiculous. She had destroyed her opponent 61 60 the preceding day, she was perfectly capable of playing. I would be extremely pissed if I'd bought tickets for the match and waited on-site only for Azarenka to come out and spew some lazy apologies.

Bigfoot

Yeah, her excuse is ridiculous. She had destroyed her opponent 61 60 the preceding day, she was perfectly capable of playing. I would be extremely pissed if I'd bought tickets for the match and waited on-site only for Azarenka to come out and spew some lazy apologies.
What is with tennis players these days and the lame excuses? First it was Nadal with his fake flu, now Azarenka can't play because of a pedicure.

Actually you can see she had her right toe taped up before her matches here.

Also, the score line is very harsh and unreflecting for that match, the girl she played had multiple break points in all of Azarenka's service games except for one. Wasn't a good performance by any means.

In other news, Davydenko destroyed Ferrer. It's a joy to watch Davy playing like this :)

He's been in magnificent form that entire tournament, he'd definitely be able to beat anyone in the top 4 playing like he is now.

Too bad he almost certainly won't be able to sustain it for the AO, he's something of an underachiever and seeing him somehow win a slam before retirement would be sweet.

clemenx

Banned
Dimitrov looks like he will be worth a shit this season. I'm mildly optimistic.

Amazing Federer-like bh passing shot as I type this.

Top Bottom