• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

szaromir

Banned
Ferrer's officially the No. 4 player. Given his rise, it's entirely possible for Federer, Nadal AND Djokovic to all land on the same side of the draw come Roland Garros.

Murray would have to replace Federer as the No. 2 player, though. And that can totally happen, seeing as how Murray defends substantially less points than Federer between now and then. And if that happens (assuming that the RG seeds are based solely on rank), Djokovic or Fed could play Nadal in the quarters, and then each other in the semis @_@

It would be the worst slam draw ever.
If Nadal wins Monte Carlo and/or Rome, not giving him top 2 seeding at Roland Garros would be idiotic by RG hosts. They are not obliged to go by the ATP rankings (eg. Wimbledon determines their seeds by the rankings and the performance in the last two grass seasons).

MIMIC

Banned
I seem to remember that the French is the only slam that adheres to this strictly. Is it still true?

In 2004, Venus was seeded 4th despite being ranked 9th. It's an incredibly obscure thing that not a lot of people know about.

Someone told me about it. Can't remember if it was here or not....

Anyway, I have no idea if a thing like that ever happened on the men's side.

From the article:

Still, this is a nice problem to have. I would rather spend a month debating the accomplishments of Djokovic vs. Murray vs. Federer vs. Nadal than hear another breath dedicated to, say, the dull internal turmoil of the Los Angeles Lakers. But an odd side effect of all of the very great tennis is that now the merely good tennis winds up feeling like a weird kind of letdown.

I am so guilty of this, lol. Good tennis = shit tennis :)

To follow the Australian Open from the U.S. takes a certain amount of dedication, not to mention sleep deprivation—Sunday's call time for Djokovic-Murray was approximately 3:30 a.m. Eastern, and there's only so much DVR a sane tennis fan can manage without fast-forwarding. But the game itself is in the same good place it's been for a while. Sure, the tennis nuts sound like they're repeating themselves, all of the awesome and epic and classic. It's OK. Give us a break. Not every event can match the interplanetary thrill of the NFL draft. At least tennis fans are arguing about actual tennis.

Heh.

John Isner said in his press conference that Brazilians fans are the most disrespectful fans around. lol, true story. Enjoy the Olympics and World Cup coming up!

Nadal is back?

tWTqHhB.gif

Please stop the Djoker from winning RG. ;)

MIMIC

Banned
No, please :)

Anyway, Nadal's first singles match since losing to Rosol last year will be shown LIVE tomorrow on Tennis Channel (4pm EST)

2nd round vs. Delbonis

No, please :)

Anyway, Nadal's first singles match since losing to Rosol last year will be shown LIVE tomorrow on Tennis Channel (4pm EST)

2nd round vs. Delbonis

Might be a dumb question, but how is it his first tennis match if it's already the 2nd round? And stupid Fios doesn't give me tennis channel >.< I have nfl/mlb/nhl network and even weird fox soccer channels and the big ten network etc..., but not tennis channel for some reason :/

Might be a dumb question, but how is it his first tennis match if it's already the 2nd round? And stupid Fios doesn't give me tennis channel >.< I have nfl/mlb/nhl network and even weird fox soccer channels and the big ten network etc..., but not tennis channel for some reason :/

LOL, he got a bye in the first round.

Smellycat

I didn't know Tennis did byes cause if they do them in some tournaments, shouldn't grand slams do them too cause most of the time it's a given that federer/djokovic etc.. win round 1.

Not always. Roddick lost in the first round of the US Open 2005. Lleyton Hewitt, Wimbledon defending champ, lost in the first round the following year to Karlovic. And obviously, Nadal lost in the 2nd round at Wimbledon last year. So, it is not always a given.

edit:

According to atpworldtour.com, bye has a 1-1248 record.

He is improving his record, slowly but surely.

Where the hell did that one win come from? lol

Not always. Roddick lost in the first round of the US Open 2005. Lleyton Hewitt, Wimbledon defending champ, lost in the first round the following year to Karlovic. And obviously, Nadal lost in the 2nd round at Wimbledon last year. So, it is not always a given.

edit:

He is improving his record, slowly but surely.

Where the hell did that one win come from? lol

I said most of the time :p Like fed hasn't missed quarters in like 10 years. And since players become exhausted for the final because they have so much tennis to play, giving them a bye makes sense.

qindarka

Banned
I didn't know Tennis did byes cause if they do them in some tournaments, shouldn't grand slams do them too cause most of the time it's a given that federer/djokovic etc.. win round 1.

Byes are given when the number of players isn't a power of 2. Grand Slams always have 128 players, hence no need for them.

Byes are given when the number of players isn't a power of 2. Grand Slams always have 128 players, hence no need for them.

If you add byes, then you can have more players in the tournament though. It could make round 1 matches a bit more interesting than the usual blowouts.

Globox_82

Banned
Janowicz insulted Novak and Roger. He called Novak for a fake, and Roger for a snob (more or less)

From twit comments:
"Janowicz: " Djokovic is a show off and Federer is just not like us."

Google translate that someone posted:"Quote:- I hate faking. I'm always myself, do not imitate anyone, do not act. Emotions drive me. When I'm angry, it ignites me and I'm better - said Janowicz, who recently became famous fierce quarrel with the judges at the Australian Open. - I have no idols, Im not look up on anyone. The style I liked Sampras, and the character of Safin. Djokovic is fake, he shows off and acts. Federer is the guy who wants to be more than anything. Perhaps in this sense there is something unnatural, it's hard to feel that he is one of us - he said currently the best Polish tennis player.Courtesy of google translate."

I guess Novak was fake here? Or was Jerzy fake?

In other news Novak today visited a school for kids with special needs and donated 50k euro.

Look at that fake face !

This punk is a no one and he insults two legends, well played.

szaromir

Banned
You could accuse Janowicz or anyone else for that matter of being a fake. And everybody wants a piece of Federer, if he socialized with anyone who wanted it, he would stop being a successful tennis player a long long time ago.

MIMIC

Banned
Nadal looking like crap so far. VERY shaky from him, and Delbonis ain't fuckin around.

Delbonis holds at LOVE.

2-0*, Delbonis

clemenx

Banned
Nadal looking like crap so far. VERY shaky from him, and Delbonis ain't fuckin around.

Delbonis holds at LOVE.

2-0*, Delbonis

This is obviously normal but there was a Delbonis volley that he couldn't run down and it felt flat out wrong. I don't mind the UEs as much.

Are there any stream links to watch online? PM me if somebody knows of any. The site I use for Grand Slams doesn't have these matches and Fios doesn't include Tennis Channel with their sports package for some reason :/

Certinty

Nadal looked good last night, wouldn't have thought he had been out for so long.

Interesting though, if Murray performs at IW and Miami and does relatively well on the clay leading into Roland Garros we could well end up with Djokovic, Nadal and Federer in the same half at Roland Garros which would be pretty spectacular.

Globox_82

Banned
Nadal looked good last night, wouldn't have thought he had been out for so long.

Interesting though, if Murray performs at IW and Miami and does relatively well on the clay leading into Roland Garros we could well end up with Djokovic, Nadal and Federer in the same half at Roland Garros which would be pretty spectacular.

won't happen. GS have the right to seed players as they like. Nadal beeing 7 time RG champion will most likely make him 4th seed. I expect that

Bigfoot

won't happen. GS have the right to seed players as they like. Nadal beeing 7 time RG champion will most likely make him 4th seed. I expect that

I thought Wimbledon was the only slam that does that these days. It seems like the other slams just respect the rankings now, or at least I haven't noticed any re-ranking done the last 10 years or so.

Top Bottom