• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror attack kills 12 at Paris newspaper - 4 wounded, gunmen identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

Tbh it's not hard to see why there's been such a rise in anti-Islam sentiment in Europe. Might be for the best if these Muslims stick to their own counties if they're not willing to assimilate.
The problem is that a lot of Muslims can't properly assimilate in their own countries too and it's really hard to sort through them. But even if you could sort everyone into "Productive member of society" and "Troublemaker forever" leaving the latter to fester in the desert for another 500 years won't help anything either.

These sick fucks are really testing my principles of giving everyone a chance right now :\

stolen from reddit, one last's week cartoon drawn by someone who died today :

10914636_536566006458634_608263392_n.jpg

"Still no terrorist attack in France", and the terrorist says "Wait, we have until the end of january to present our wishes"

The problem is that a lot of Muslims can't properly assimilate in their own countries too and it's really hard to sort through them. But even if you could sort everyone into "Productive member of society" and "Troublemaker forever" leaving the latter to fester in the desert for another 500 years won't help anything either.

These sick fucks are really testing my principles of giving everyone a chance right now :
Exactly. A lot of these extremist types are seen as weird in their countries of origin as well.

pulga

Banned
stolen from reddit, one last's week cartoon drawn by someone who died today :

10914636_536566006458634_608263392_n.jpg

"Still no terrorist attack in France", and the terrorist says "Wait, we have until the end of january to present our wishes"

That can't be real :/ Jesus christ...why

marrec

Banned
Ben Affleck was wrong. So peaceful and loving.

There is a real problem with archaic extremism, but that does not mean that islam as a whole is any more or less crazy than any other religion... The solution isn't to castigate and ostracize an entire culture/religion, but to seek solutions to the roots of the problem, namely the political institutions where this extremism is fomented.

They were clear professionals. They weren't the usual jihadists shooting around, they've used their AKs semi automatic to improve aim, thats one of the first things you learn in the army. They stay completely calm and look to have a pretty professional aiming stance.

I would bet you that they have experience from somewhere.

Seems like the Islamic State is having a very sinister influence on islamism worldwide. I mean, even their propaganda and execution videos are carefully filmed in HD, complete with post-production. They're refining terrorism to a sickening level and the free world should not be afraid of fighting them with lethal force.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Why? As horrendous as this is, it's still only carried out by a few crazy individuals that happen to belong to a group that number in the millions.

Don't lose perspective.

The problem is that "extremist" opinions, within islam isnt exactly a fringe element, as many studies have shown. Even if only a few actually act on them, there still a problem with the underlying ideology, one that needs to be adressed.

Calderc

Absolutely disgusting. Almost inspired to start a Mohammed web comic, YouTube show and write the screenplay. These fuckers need smoked out.

RIP.

Omikaru

Fucking barbarians. I hope they're apprehended soon, before anyone else is hurt.

The best way for us to respond to this is to show we're better than them. A level-headed response needs to prevail over their mindless violence. Lead by example, and all.

RIP to the victims. :(

Horrible news to wake up to.

Dead over satire...

RIP and hopefully this doesn't dissuade others from stopping this very French art.

Dryk

Exactly. A lot of these extremist types are seen as weird in their countries of origin as well.
I meant more that a lot of moderate Muslims fit better in Europe because their views aren't welcome in their home countries and by restricting immigration/tourism across the board you're condemning all those people that honestly do just want a better life.

These guys aren't the usual young dupes; from a terrorist perspective, they're currently more valuable alive and causing fear and mayhem than martyred. They may still have targets. They may be setting up the police for another ambush, similar to Madrid
Even if they never surface again they inspire more fear at large than dead

Not sure about that. If they didn't plan on surviving, they wouldn't have a getaway car ready and - by all we know - driven away from the center of Paris.

These guys aren't the usual young dupes; from a terrorist perspective, they're currently more valuable alive and causing fear and mayhem than martyred. They may still have targets. They may be setting up the police for another ambush, similar to Madrid.

I hope the arrests are clean (but I accept that many local police don't feel that way.) We really need to expose their peers, support and supply. And it would spite them more than a combat death would.

marrec

Banned
I meant more that a lot of moderate Muslims fit better in Europe because their views aren't welcome in their home countries and by restricting immigration/tourism across the board you're condemning all those people that honestly do just want a better life.

To add to that, in the end, it wouldn't stop extremists from perpetrating their terror if they were so inclined. They are, after all, criminals.

Jesus Christ, Cabu and Charb confirmed dead? I know every human life is equal but that's one hell of a symbol. I'm disgusted.

Jesus Christ confirmed dead?!

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Jintor

Further, you're never going to progress on the 'integration' front if you never let anyone come over at all

Bedlam

I mean give me a break, it's just the newest local fad for people who like to get outraged without any perspective. (Just like the Hartz IV marches and what not)
I happen to live right next to the meeting point where the march in Cologne was supposed to start. You know how many people showed up? Maybe 50.
It's not a movement by any stretch of the imagination.
Well, seeing the growing numbers each week here in Dresden, I reckon it'll be a full-fledged movement soon enough.

Right now, we're still in the "ridicule and demonize them"-stage. That's what often happens when these rising movements are still relatively small. That's how the Tea Party in the US was first treated, that's how the AfD party in Germany was treated ... until they became to big and influential.

Footage of the attack aired on French TV showed the attackers saying "We've avenged prophet Muhammed, we've killed Charlie Hebdo!"

Yeah, I'm sure that's just what the prophet would have wanted. I mean, ignoring the no killing of innocents and absolutely no mention of it being a problem for non Muslims to make images of the prophet... but yeah, aside from that, I suspect he'd be well on board.

Place in the afterlife all set up for you guys. Good job.

Betty

Banned
Jesus Christ confirmed dead?!

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Are you fucking serious?

I mean genuinely, are you fucking serious?

Is this absolutely, in your mind, the best moment to crack a fucking joke?

Again, are you fucking serious?

glaurung

This is terrible to read and digest.

I dread the day when someone is going to gun me down simply because I am not a member of their crazy religion and therefore I do not deserve to live.

EU has been adamant of being tolerant and welcoming all ethnic groups, all religions and trying to integrate all these people into their societies. And then someone goes and disproves all that effort like this.

I've worked with magazines and I bet none of those killed deserved it.

Dryk

Further, you're never going to progress on the 'integration' front if you never let anyone come over at all
All too often the only solution to integration problems seems to be long-term exposure. I really wish there was a better way though since that method always takes so much time and harm to come about.

I'm as appalled by the hate talk towards muslims than by the narrow-mindedness of some here who distil their lamentable opinions on what a loving population muslims are.

marrec

Banned
Are you fucking serious?

Yea, it's how I deal with tragedy. Obviously this is a terrible situation and I expressed my sadness earlier. Very terrible.

Chariot

Jesus Christ, Cabu and Charb confirmed dead? I know every human life is equal but that's one hell of a symbol. I'm disgusted.
I agree. This is a new level. Random bombings, air plane abductions and killings are bad enough. But now they are operating on targets and apparently very effectively so.

the muslim community in France should go out and manifest against those criminals. I'd do that if thy were using my faith to commit atrocious crimes.

pants

I dont like that we live in a world where there are people who'd murk you for drawing some sketches

Honestly there just seems to be a very big disconnect with Islam and western values imo. Having spent some time reading the Quran it's not hard to see why a lot of Muslims have such an adversarial view of non-believers. Parts of the book, as well as various hadith's are the root of a lot of Islam's problems.

Fliesen

Are you fucking serious?

i would believe those who have been killed wouldn't have minded a little black humour. They were, after all, in the business of pretty dark satire.

I don't think you should give marrec such a tough time.

if we can't even crack a joke anymore, haven't the terrorists won?

Guy.brush

There is a real problem with archaic extremism, but that does not mean that islam as a whole is any more or less crazy than any other religion... The solution isn't to castigate and ostracize an entire culture/religion, but to seek solutions to the roots of the problem, namely the political institutions where this extremism is fomented.

The root is not the political institutions I'm afraid, it is the nutty potential religious belief carries with it.
So what is the way forward for the next century?
Seems instead of doubling down on Christianity vs. Islam Europe should shed all of its remaining "Christian" religious "beliefs", get the symbols out of classrooms and out of official lingo/procedures. Educate children that all this stuff is thousands year old unproven myth.
Close the chapter on archaic beliefs and stop treating religion like it has special rights and freedoms. If people want to believe that they will get a better life after the one they are currently living if they believe in X, so be it but keep it 100% private.

Yes I know, "but our origins are Christian" but we got out of the water too.

Betty

Banned
Yea, it's how I deal with tragedy. Obviously this is a terrible situation and I expressed my sadness earlier. Very terrible.

By cracking jokes about people who've been slaughtered and aren't yet cold... okie dokey.

Could you be more theatrical?

I'm not going to apologize for finding his comment offensive, emotions are high and acting wise right now deserves scorn.

ivysaur12

Banned
I suppose this means the national front have pretty much the election wrapped up.

Wrapped up? No. But this will guarantee an even further shift to the right by UMP in order to win an election. So I guess Le Pen gets what she wants -- ideological control in the battle of ideas, even if she doesn't necessarily win.

Are you fucking serious?

I want to echo this. Just because its the internet doesn't mean you can't show some damn respect.

Everyone FFS ! Why just muslims ?

I'm saying it in a way that people who believe in Islam but do not perpetrate nor condone these actions voice their concern and support the victims. If you put more people there it'd be unclear if there's muslim support / media and people would twist it. That's how I think it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom