• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror attack kills 12 at Paris newspaper - 4 wounded, gunmen identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacbois

the muslim community in France should go out and manifest against those criminals. I'd do that if thy were using my faith to commit atrocious crimes.

The French Council of the Muslim Faith already condemmned the attack, one of the major imams of the Parisian region went to Charlie Hebdo's officies after the attack.

Alx

I agree. This is a new level. Random bombings, air plane abductions and killings are bad enough. But now they are operating on targets and apparently very effectively so.

I suppose technically it's an assassination, not a terror attack, then. Not entirely new actually (that was the specific purpose of the sect of the assassins), but the professionalization of those attackers is worrying indeed. A likely scenario is that they came back from fighting in Syria or such place.

I like this idea.
As much as I like this idea, who wants to be killed over this.

These attacks kinda work because people value their lives.

I don't want more people dead over these cartoons. I understand the message and sympathize with it... Ugh. This is just so horrible.

marrec

Banned
By cracking jokes about people who've been slaughtered and aren't yet cold... okie dokey.

Jesus Christ died like 2000 years ago but I can see you're still very sensitive about it so I'll refrain from joking about it, sorry.

Obviously this is terrible news and my heart goes out to the victims and their families, but I'm not going to walk around being dour and kicking rocks in response.

Betty

Banned
i would believe those who have been killed wouldn't have minded a little black humour. They were, after all, in the business of pretty dark satire.

I don't think you should give marrec such a tough time.

I'm just calling out what I thought was a tasteless comment.

Woah take a chill pill dude

People making light of these situations so soon after the fact just rubs me the wrong way, but none of this is important, what is important is the atrocity and I dont' want to move the focus from it so I'll stop.

I wish every newspaper in the world would regulary print the comics from now on every year to make a statement about this terrorist attack.

The French Council of the Muslim Faith already condemmned the attack, one of the major imams of the Parisian region went to Charlie Hebdo's officies after the attack.

problem is, was and will always be :

- silent supporters of the attacks
- people already hating on muslim, not believing in such peacefull demonstration of the 99.9% moderate muslim.

It's the loud extreme minorities dilema all over again.

Xando

Apparently they spoke french without accents. Looks like this might be some people returning from ISIS like we feared.

Mr. RHC

No.

Fuck anyone who would put all of us in the same box as these extremist nutjobs.

This shit is fucking infuriating.

Indeed.

My heart goes out to everyone completely unrelated to this who will suffer through massive racist aggression in the coming weeks and months as if it wasn't bad enough as it already is. #illridewithyou

xN9fuy1.jpg

Shahadan

I'm just calling out what I thought was a tasteless comment.

People making light of these situations so soon after the fact just rubs me the wrong way, but none of this is important, what is important is the atrocity and I dont' want to move the focus from it so I'll stop.

Do you realize you're in a thread about a magazine that is all about making inappropriate jokes?

marrec

Banned
Who is Cabu and Charb ?

Famous caricature drawers ?

Charb is the head of the magazine and Cabu is a cartoonist. They were both well known satirists and Charb had actually been targeted in numerous threats over the past 2 years.

Chariot

I suppose technically it's an assassination, not a terror attack, then. Not entirely new actually (that was the specific purpose of the sect of the assassins), but the professionalization of those attackers is worrying indeed. A likely scenario is that they came back from fighting in Syria or such place.
Yes, but given that they stroke in broad day light instead of killing the targets savely at home or in the night at least, gives me the thought that they want to give a message and spread terror. Like "Look. We can get you if we want to. Don't feel save." Even worse if they manage to get away.

Vade

But they had bulletproof vests, a car ready to pick them up for an escape and they didn't wait for a fight with the police. Looks like they did expect to make it out alive - which is somewhat unusual for jihadists.

Ander Breivik had a flak jacket and multiple escape routes set up; the Mumbai terrorists had heavy armor on all their bodies acquired from former ISI individuals. The Pakistan school attacker had bulletproof vests on too.

Inflicting maximum damage by surviving is the best way for these individuals as they can strike again or the fear that they are out there just waiting. Some people here watch to much fucking Homeland. Muslim terrorists attacked just as Breivik was a Christian terrorist it is that simple.

Gustav

Banned
Indeed.

My heart goes out to everyone completely unrelated to this who will suffer through massive racist agression in the coming weeks and months as if it wasn't bad enough as it already is. #illridewithyou

I can't handle this right now. This is so incredibly idiotic. The hastag makes it perfect in its idiocy. Like you put a bow on it.

No.

I didn't. I'm saying that there's occasions to be loud, and this is one of them.

Make those deluded criminals unworthy of carrying any motive resembling Islam. if there's silence, the message won't be heard enough. Again, that's how I feel. I don't have any particular faith and I wouldn't compare nutcases like that to life-respecting muslims that just follow their faith like any free human being.

All i'm saying is be loud and show them No prophet needed avenge from a petty cartoon. Censor them with a goodwill gesture, that's all I can say. This message rather than for the french society, would go for the perpetrators of the act. "You are no muslim, you're hiding behind a faith to commit crimes and disrespecting all we stand for, and the prophet stood for"

I wish every newspaper in the world would regulary print the comics from now on every year to make a statement about this terrorist attack.

I don't think that is the answer. It doesn't do anything to help the victims, it doesn't bring the attackers any closer to justice and it puts many innocent lives at risk of copycat attacks.

ciridesu

Jesus Christ died like 2000 years ago but I can see you're still very sensitive about it so I'll refrain from joking about it, sorry.

Obviously this is terrible news and my heart goes out to the victims and their families, but I'm not going to walk around being dour and kicking rocks in response.

Well aren't you witty and clever. Just leave the thread and fuck off, if showing off your smarts or acting high is all you care about.

Alx

Who is Cabu and Charb ?

Famous caricature drawers ?

Yes. They are famous for drawing political cartoons especially for Charlie Hebdo, but also had other activities. Cabu drew a few famous comics, he even was giving drawing lessons in the TV show I was watching as a kid. :(

Speak up louder. As of now, the extremists are louder than the moderates.

Doesn't help.

People don't want to listen.

Theres thousands upon thousands of moderates demonstrating against all kinds of terrorist attacks. Check the Amirox link with video footage of Muslims demonstrating against IS crimes. Theres been several demonstrations against IS here in Denmark too. Check a couple of post backs, several Imams out and condemning the attacks.

It doesn't fucking matter. We're the scapegoat no matter what. Jesus, I don't want to know how Europe is going to be in 10 years.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I see your point, but whenever a far right demonstration takes place, the locals usually react with significant counterdemonstrations of their own that help to galvanize anti-nazi support and show the rest of the world that the entire town is not made of scum. See: Pegida and Germany.

It can be argued that Muslims are not doing enough on that front. Moderate voices need to be louder and more confrontational in order to be heard.

Question: is there anything special about today's date? Is it a national holiday in France, is there a festival, does it have religious significance, those kind of things?

Renzoku

Banned
No.

An easy way to not fit into a box with crazy people is step out of that box altogether and be an individual untied to a belief that breeds crazy people.

Gustav

Banned
Doesn't help.

People don't want to listen.

Theres thousands upon thousands of moderates demonstrating against all kinds of terrorist attacks. Check the Amirox link with video footage of Muslims demonstrating against IS crimes. Theres been several demonstrations against IS here in Denmark too. Check a couple of post backs, several Imams out and condemning the attacks.

It doesn't fucking matter. We're the scapegoat no matter what. Jesus, I don't want to know how Europe is going to be in 10 years.

Well, I, for one, hope for a Europe where nobody will get killed over satire. I hope we can achieve that in 10 years.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Uhh just seen the footage where they down someone then walk over and execute.

Such a sad day. :(

Platy

Are you fucking serious?

I mean genuinely, are you fucking serious?

Is this absolutely, in your mind, the best moment to crack a fucking joke?

Again, are you fucking serious?

To be fair, if this tragedy teach us something is that we should laugh more and get angry less

I don't think that is the answer. It doesn't do anything to help the victims, it doesn't bring the attackers any closer to justice and it puts many innocent lives at risk of copycat attacks.

You are probably right, I'm not sure I would do it if I was working at a newspaper. But in the heat of the moment it feels like a good response to give them the exact opposite of what they've tried to achieve with this cowardly attack.

Cheebo

Banned
But the attackers want to stop the comics/cartoons. That is what angers them. Showing that attacking will only make them mock Mohammed more would destroy their entire goal they set to achieve when they do this. If this paper stops showing pictures of Mohammed because of this attack it will just embolden them more to attack another newspaper who tries this down the road since it "worked".

SmokyDave

Jesus, I don't want to know how Europe is going to be in 10 years.
It's probably going to be the sort of place people were worrying about when they started discussing the pitfalls and perils of poorly assimilating large numbers of immigrants from conservative islamic cultures.

Milchjon

Martin Sonneborn, one of the publishers and former EIC of Titanic magazine (the German equivalent of Charlie Hebdo), said this:

"This is not funny. Criminal complaints, subscription cancellations or AK-shooting in reaction to satire are considered rude within the scene. Our sympathy goes out to the French colleagues. This could not have happened to Titanic, as we only have 6 writers,"

I think the people at Charlie Hedbo would have appreciated the approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom