• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 |OT|

what is the lowest PC settings you guys can get this game to work at?

I had TDU 1 running on my macbook pro running Win 7 on Parallels Desktop

I now play Need for Speed World just fine on normal or low settings using my macbook

but I cancelled my TDU2 order because of the minimum settings I seen did not match anything for me

please let me know, issues with the game on this thread does not sound so cool

Shaneus

derFeef said:
Uh wow, just got an email that betatesters get a leather jacket. Great... I mean, a car would have been too much to ask for in a driving game.
Exactly what I was thinking. Never mind the fact that you don't actually SEE what your opponent is wearing unless it's in a shop. On the road it makes shit-all difference.

Slackbladder said:
The British Tuner is pretty much centre of Ibiza surrounded by what looks like a forest judging by the map.
Link - beware this shows ALL locations in Ibiza

Using that map I tried like crazy to find the British car dealer on the east side of the island at Roca Lisa. I didn't even see a town there. I'm almost positive I was in the right spot, as I checked and rechecked the map several times to make sure. Also drove around the area quite a bit without finding it.

Are you sure that dealer is in that location?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This forum post on the official forums should help, it has in-game map shots of every tuner location. The British one is located on the very straight road going north in pretty much the middle of the island.

Tunesmith said:
This forum post on the official forums should help, it has in-game map shots of every tuner location. The British one is located on the very straight road going north in pretty much the middle of the island.

What about the British car dealer? I've been to the spot it says it is on the map but can't find it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
More random thoughts:

The Tricolore being $2m is ridiculous. I did some drag strip tests and my Cinque reaches top speed only 280 meters after the Tricolore (which doesn't look as cool) does. Now to decide if I want to spend $840k on tuning up Cinque or get some other cars instead.

The Mercedes SLK 55 AMG handles like a dream. I'd also put it in the "Ridge Racer" group for those who want that sort of thing in lower classes.

I'm pretty sure the AI cars were put into the game to ruin any chance of properly testing how a car will handle the kind of turns you'll be doing in a race. They are always filling up intersections and hairpins, and I really hate those SUVs that try to swerve out of the way but somehow end up dipping into the center anyway.

The GPS is too zoomed in to be worth anything at 175mph+ and the cursor is misleading anyway. First, your car is actually at the bottom of it, which I'm pretty sure NOBODY naturally assumes when looking at an arrow shape. Secondly, why make it so huge? It's blocking details.

Protip: Turn voice volume all the way down for tournaments so you don't have to hear Tess say the same shit over and over at the start of races.

Dice

Who uses the word "squabbling" anyway? Nice vocab, grandma.

Anyway, why does the Ascari A10 stats say it can go 220 when it clearly tops out at 210 on an incredibly long, flat, straight road? Are those stats for downhill or something?

Shaneus

Dice said:
Who uses the word "squabbling" anyway? Nice vocab, grandma.

Anyway, why does the Ascari A10 stats say it can go 220 when it clearly tops out at 210 on an incredibly long, flat, straight road? Are those stats for downhill or something?
May be optimal conditions. I've had cars in GT5 where the max speed according to the gear ratio is, say, 330 but it peaks at 315.

Dice

I'm sure this would be harder with a lesser car...

ilEgHC.jpg

Choose your own difficulty, I guess. I gained 2 seconds on him on this hard turn. I guess his Bugatti doesn't slow down very quickly.

Shaneus

Yes! The triggers issue is mentioned!

Keep in mind though, they're a list of bugs and not fixes that will be applied... so don't be surprised that "car handling" or somesuch isn't listed.

Dice

Shaneus said:
Yes! The triggers issue is mentioned!
I changed it to stick clicks. I also changed headlight flash to Y so I don't challenge people when I'm just closing a popup.

Shaneus

I just use the wheel on my mouse... it's not a massive issue.

I'd probably say that "Degraded performance on Crossfire systems" should be a bug as well. Damn the game runs like shit on my system :/

Dice

Shaneus said:
I'd probably say that "Degraded performance on Crossfire systems" should be a bug as well. Damn the game runs like shit on my system :/
Don't forget "only uses one CPU core"

I'm pretty darn happy with how it runs.

Hearing everyone talk about performance issues almost scared me away from buying the pc version. Glad I didn't listen to those people.

Dice

I also tuned my Cinque and it says it has a top speed of 378kph yet I got it to 399kph, but I'm not complaining!

What the difference between the normal Veyron and the Super Sport?

Dice said:
I also tuned my Cinque and it says it has a top speed of 378kph yet I got it to 399kph, but I'm not complaining!

What the difference between the normal Veyron and the Super Sport?

irl the SS Veyron goes about 10-15mph faster than the normal. I would imagine it's similar in game.

Pimpbaa

Dice said:
Then why does it run like this?

I dunno what's going on. There are people with lesser systems (like a quad core AMD cpu) getting better performance than those with a i7. Some people think it's related to 64-bit windows, but I don't know how much truth there is to it. I think I might try turning off hyper threading on my i7 to see if that does anything.

Dice

I don't know if it runs any better with the new drivers, but does it look prettier to anyone else?

ij1kli.jpg

Shaneus

An option to disable the motion blur would be nice, too... I bet that's cutting into some precious CPU/GPU cycles on my PC.

Dice

Oh shit! I just tried SSAA and not only does it look better than it did before, but now it runs just as well as Adaptive MSAA. Sweet 8xSSAA beauty! I can't complain about the performance now. Although I just tried MLAA with it to see what it was like and it made major slowdown, like underwater world.

Dice

Shaneus said:
That's with 11.2?
Yes, but also nevermind. I thought the performance was sure because I was in the city which always gave my system the most trouble before, but as soon as I went to new areas so it had to load new assets it started getting all janky. Back to MSAA...

MisterNoisy

I'll admit this game has it's share of issues, but I'd be curious as to what kinds of machines are having performance issues and stuttering, because as long as it isn't hard-crashing about 35 mins into the full-island Ibiza time attack (argh!), this game runs great with everything cranked on my PC.

Dice

MisterNoisy said:
I'll admit this game has it's share of issues, but I'd be curious as to what kinds of machines are having performance issues and stuttering, because as long as it isn't hard-crashing about 35 mins into the full-island Ibiza time attack (argh!), this game runs great with everything cranked on my PC.
Define "great" because for a lot of people it means max all at a solid 60fps. I like to compare it to Dirt 2, since the graphics are similar, although better on Dirt 2. That one goes 60fps and would probably go higher if I didn't sync it to my monitor, but with TDU2 I'm probably getting 45 right now and if I go from "High" environment to "Very High" it drops to 30. Is it the open world aspect that makes it so hard?

That said, I swear the new drivers improved image quality a lot. The lighting is more natural (like sunlight vs fluorescent; fuller, radiant, not so direct), the colors are deeper, the humid haze in jungle areas is more convincing, and everything just has a nice warm glow about it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
DownWithTheShip said:
What about the British car dealer? I've been to the spot it says it is on the map but can't find it.
My bad I actually read your post as if you were looking for the tuner. :p

This map should help with the dealer (Lancia icon, section 5)

link

Dilly

Banned
What happened to automatic gearbox detection?

In TDU1, I had to use my flappy pedals or H-shifter according to the gearbox of the car and now I have to edit this myself?

Dice

When it says PC servers are down, it lets me play anyway.

Some dudes have no balls. I was driving around and this dude challenges me. Turns out he had an A2 and I had an A5, but I went with it. Unfortunately, the track barely even had any turns so I had to hope he'd crash. I still gave it another go and did better the second time. I come back with my Zonda and he has hidden himself. Come at me, bro!

So anyway, if you can fullscreen in low resolutions, if there some way to... say... play in 720p in a 900p window?

Edit: Actually, scratch that. I have decided what is important to me: Speed and detail. 1080p is too beautiful to not play in and makes the map better. You don't look at the ground just in front of you when you drive, so I got sick of seeing all the shadows draw in and set environment to Very High. At this point things would run bad so I just turned off AA. It isn't so bad when you get the motion blur going, and almost unshaken 60fps makes it easier to swallow. 2x SSAA makes it look significantly better and has acceptable speed for exploration but not quite racing.

I wish there were a way to get my other cars without having to go to my garage. And it'd also be wonderful to set player names to only display when .5km away not 10km. The off-or-litter-your-screen choice is dumb.

zorbsie

Dice said:
I wish there were a way to get my other cars without having to go to my garage.

Best way to change cars quickly.

Press start to pause the game.
Go over to the challenge editor.
Press "X" and pick your vehicle.
Back out.

Never have to go to your garage again.

zorbsie said:

Back out.

You're a genius

Fox Mulder

zorbsie said:

Back out.

oh wow...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
MisterNoisy said:

I'm running it at 720p on my TV through HDMI. I have everything set to very high, except for environment, which is set to just high. 2x AA. I get between 25-30 FPS. 20 FPS if I have environment set to high.

This same rig can run DIRT at 60fps with everything cranked plus 4x AA at 1680x1050.

i5 2.6 quad core
Win7 64
5770 with latest drivers
4 gig RAM

Performance in this game is pathetic.

Dice

zorbsie said:
So in this case, the desired feature was even put into the game, and they are just too big of assholes to make it part of standard practice.

Damnit Eden, I'm really starting to feel like you're trolling everyone. There's just too much common sense glanced over for it to be unintentional.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Any tips for the A7 High championship?

Been stuck on it the last three nights. Tried the Alfa and Golf but still seem to be miles off the pace for the TTs.

Dice

So the Ascari A10 thing. Is that just a typo in the stats, or is it a bug with the car? Because it sputters at the top end as if it wants to go into a next gear that isn't there. Other cars have a nice steady engine noise at top speed.

Man, A4 competition is going to suck. All the cars for it suck. I'm going to beat everyone with a station wagon.

cjelly said:
Any tips for the A7 High championship?

Been stuck on it the last three nights. Tried the Alfa and Golf but still seem to be miles off the pace for the TTs.
Performance-wise the Brera Italia Independent blows the others away.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Dice said:
I don't know if it runs any better with the new drivers, but does it look prettier to anyone else?

Wow. Yeah, I definitely don't get motion blur in my game. No idea why not... running the latest Catalyst drivers that came out yesterday on a 5770 as well.

Do you not use the in-game AA setting? Maybe that's what is disabling it for me?

Pimpbaa

Dice said:
Performance-wise the Brera Italia Independent blows the others away.

Yeah, didn't realize that until the Ibiza cup. For both the A7 events, I used the VW Golf. Now I pay attention to the difficulty rating of the cars and their stats (and test drive all my options to see what is actually the best).

markao

Dice said:
Oh shit! I just tried SSAA and not only does it look better than it did before, but now it runs just as well as Adaptive MSAA. Sweet 8xSSAA beauty! I can't complain about the performance now. Although I just tried MLAA with it to see what it was like and it made major slowdown, like underwater world.
This does not make any sense, as Super Sampling should be more taxing, so could it be that you are applying MLAA over the other AA options.

If you want to use MLAA, set CC panel to "use application settings" (in game AA off) and use MLAA. But if 8xSAAA works, than there is no need to add a blur filter to your game anyway ;)

Dice

Yeah, when I said "I just tried MLAA with it to see what it was like" I meant combined with SSAA.

Driving the Caterham around in cockpit view is awesome. I really wish I could make the Ascari stop sputtering.

Stackboy

So, if I buy this on PC, I'm probably going to play it using a keyboard. Should I get the PC version, or go 360? Going to wait till the game breaking bugs are fixed.

Fox Mulder

amrod said:
99% of roads found on 1st island... Cant seem to find the last 1% sigh (zoomed in and looked all over)

sometimes it misses a tiny chunk at places like an intersection, or given the bugs in this game, might just be fucked for you. I got 100% on it, and it would suck to get hit with that kind of bug.

Top Bottom