• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texan City will only give you hurricane aid if you agree to not boycott Israel

Jackpot

Banned
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...not-to-boycott-israel/?utm_term=.4b92da2cbced

This Texas town offers hurricane relief — if your politics are right

The city of Dickinson, Tex., located about 30 miles southeast of Houston, recently posted applications online for relief grants “from the funds that were generously donated to the Dickinson Harvey Relief Fund,” the city’s website says. The application, however, includes a provision requiring applicants to promise not to boycott Israel.

imrs.php

The city attorney for Dickinson told a local television station he was only following a state law forbidding state agencies from doing business with Israel boycotters.

The aid grant application has triggered a strong rebuke from the American Civil Liberties Union.

In May, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed the Anti-BDS (Boycott, Divestments, and Sanctions) bill into law. The statute “prohibits all state agencies from contracting with, and certain public funds from investing in, companies that boycott Israel,” according to the governor’s website. “Anti-Israel policies are anti-Texas,” Abbott said at the bill’s signing. “We will not tolerate such actions against an important ally.”

How the law would apply to individuals seeking disaster relief — rather than businesses seeking contracts — is unclear.

But as the ACLU pointed out in the organization’s release on the Dickinson application, “The Supreme Court ruled decades ago that political boycotts are protected by the First Amendment, and other decisions have established that the government may not require individuals to sign a certification regarding their political expression in order to obtain employment, contracts, or other benefits.”

In an interview with ABC 13, Dickinson’s city attorney David W. Olson said the city planned to follow the law and keep the provision in place until told to do otherwise.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I'm confused by the Israel thing, especially with Republicans and the like. I thought all those dumb rednecks and racists hated jews and the (((Jewish conspiracy))). Why the obsession with Israel?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm confused by the Israel thing, especially with Republicans and the like. I thought all those dumb rednecks and racists hated jews and the (((Jewish conspiracy))). Why the obsession with Israel?
They're okay with Jews as long as they stay in Israel.

TyrantII

It's not for the racist Nazi wing of the party.

It's for the dumb, crazy religious wing of the party that believes Jews need to occupy all of Israel so the anti-christ will show up, they'll be saved, and the majority of humanity will burn in hell on Earth.

DarkKyo

It's not for the racist Nazi wing of the party.

It's for the dumb, crazy religious wing of the party that believes Jews need to occupy all of Israel so the anti-christ will show up, they'll be saved, and the majority of humanity will burn in hell on Earth.

Is that really the reason traditional republicans get on their knees to serve Israel? I honestly thought it had more to do with money and tradition than actual batshit religious stuff.

Mindlog

The far right is a coalition of extremists and evangelicals. Hate unites.
In this case the law is pandering to evangelicals hoping a strong Israel brings about the apocalypse and Christ's return or something.
No. Not kidding.

Is that really why? That's bizarre.

No there's a massive history to it. I recall it beginning a bit before WW1.

Nowadays Christian and Jewish Zionism keep it afloat as well as geopolitical gains in having Israel situated there.

My one poli sci prof has a thing on Israel every class I have with him.

No party, whether Democrat, liberal, NDP etc in NA will criticize Israel

Cub3h

Banned
BDS are scum, but I don't see how hurricane aid should in any way be tied to ANYTHING political. Surely this can't be legal?

kirblar

This is an issue w/ the ridiculously empty state law that no one will ever bother enforcing, not the attorneys drafting the forms that need to comply with it.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Well i certainly learned a lot in this thread. The right is fractured between religious lunatics and racists. Yet democrats and libruls take all the heat.

TyrantII

Is that really the reason traditional republicans get on their knees to serve Israel? I honestly thought it had more to do with money and tradition than actual batshit religious stuff.

Yes. The GOP is made up of 3 major factions and 1 minor one, all antithetical to each other on paper. But they combine their causes and vote goosestep because they wouldn't have power otherwise.

Evengelicals always show up if they get bread thrown their way. They're the most consistent block to actually show up to the polls in the American electorate; so the rich, the racists, and the libertarians support their pet issues that they cynically could care less about so they can get their own issues through legislation, like tax cuts and attacking the civil Rights act.

Jackpot

Banned
Apparently a Jewish state in the region is a requirement for Jesus to come back or some shit.

The Second Coming prophecy is really only a tiny part of it.

It's more an amalgamation of anti-Muslim prejudices, partisanship, and racism.

AIPAC has a stranglehold on US politics and the hyper-Partisanship of Dems vs GOP has helped develop it into an all-or-nothing wedge issue. You either fully support Israel and all its atrocities, or you're one of "them". And even on the Dems' side they partially support their atrocities.

Then there's the image of Israel being some sort of beacon of civilisation in a swamp of backwards radical theocracies, as well as the perception of them being "Western" and "whiter" than their neighbours.

It's more an amalgamation of anti-Muslim prejudices, partisanship, and racism.

AIPAC has a stranglehold on US politics and the hyper-Partisanship of Dems vs GOP has helped develop it into an all-or-nothing wedge issue. You either fully support Israel and all its atrocities, or you're one of "them". And even on the Dems' side they partially support their atrocities.

Then there's the image of Israel being some sort of beacon of civilisation in a swamp of backwards radical theocracies, as well as the perception of them being "Western" and "whiter" than their neighbours.
That makes more sense

BDS are scum, but I don't see how hurricane aid should in any way be tied to ANYTHING political. Surely this can't be legal?

Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions worked for South Africa. It is the only thing that can put material pressure to end the apartheid in Israel.

Gallbaro

Banned
Remember.

New York State governor and former member of the Clinton Administration applies this same policy on New York.

TyrantII

While most of the people that identify as Republicans would laugh at it, they still see it as a means to an end and take that Evengelical support to the bank.

Then there's the issue that Evengelicals are over represented in who actually votes GOP, and it's even creeping into their representatives and now leadership.

They wield enormous power, and they believe this fucked up shit literally.

Yes. The GOP is made up of 3 major factions and 1 minor one, all antithetical to each other on paper. But they combine their causes and vote goosestep because they wouldn't have power otherwise.

Evengelicals always show up if they get bread thrown their way. They're the most consistent block to actually show up to the polls in the American electorate; so the rich, the racists, and the libertarians support their pet issues that they cynically could care less about so they can get their own issues through legislation, like tax cuts and attacking the civil Rights act.
That sounds backwards. We like having Israel as an ally in the middle east but GOP doesn't want to lose their antisemetic voting blocks, so they convince Evangelicals that this is a good thing by giving them that thin justification and boom, you've got that fanatical voting block supporting you.

Evangelicals just support whatever you tell them to (ie when abortion became the new rallying cry out of nowhere) so it's much easier to just get them to agree with what you want instead of allying with a nation because of some crazy bullshit like triggering the apocalypse.

If nothing else, the current Evangelical support for Trump pretty much shows they have no values outside of blindly supporting the Republican party.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Donors to a lot of lawmakers, as already stated but on both sides.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Literally belief that Israel needs to be strong and ascendant for various biblical prophecies to come true and for Christ to return (again). Also a little us vs them from post war Arab tensions. Israel was an enemy of dirty foreigners etc. also fantastic amounts of lobbying and real guilt about the horrors Jews endured not just in ww2 but multiple pogroms throughout history.

I’m not a fan of netenyahu and Zionism in general but I would love to see a peaceful solution in my lifetime that benefits Israel, palestine and its neighbors. You can argue that Israel should never have been created, but history is rife with artificially created and conquered nations. You likely live in one. And there’s no instruction book for how long ago it has to happen to be legitimate. I’m disappointed to see the country swing so far to the right though. Netanyahu has no interest in peace or a long term solution. He likes his riled up angry base.just like you know who.

TyrantII

That sounds backwards. We like having Israel as an ally in the middle east but GOP doesn't want to lose their antisemetic voting blocks, so they convince Evangelicals that this is a good thing by giving them that thin justification and boom, you've got that fanatical voting block supporting you.

Evangelicals just support whatever you tell them to (ie when abortion became the new rallying cry out of nowhere) so it's much easier to just get them to agree with what you want instead of allying with a nation because of some crazy bullshit like triggering the apocalypse.

True, but there's a point where lies become truths and the people using those lies as a means to an end are replaced by true believers.

Pence for example won't have dinner with a women alone and believes some crazy ass shit. His whole identify is wrapped up in truly believing a bunch of crazy ass shit.

That's the danger of that type of politics. Eventually people believe it and you get burned, bad.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Oh but that's democrats.....

So therefore its okay. According to some blind apologists for the Dem party. People forgot about Clinton's embarrassing display at AIPAC during the election. Its shocking that a 1000 year old jew could be infinitely more level headed towards the jewish state's current situation than pretty much everyone else in Washington. The israeli lobby is indeed strong

SaviourMK2

Can they be sued over this? I mean, wasn't Christie being deep fried like a fatty and buttery fish with a side of tartar sauce over this kind of shit?

I think I might put Hurricane Relief on my tax refunds... fuck this kindness of my heart shit

kirblar

Literally belief that Israel needs to be strong and ascendant for various biblical prophecies to come true and for Christ to return (again). Also a little us vs them from post war Arab tensions. Israel was an enemy of dirty foreigners etc. also fantastic amounts of lobbying and real guilt about the horrors Jews endured not just in ww2 but multiple pogroms throughout history.

I’m not a fan of netenyahu and Zionism in general but I would love to see a peaceful solution in my lifetime that benefits Israel, palestine and its neighbors. You can argue that Israel should never have been created, but history is rife with artificially created and conquered nations. You likely live in one. And there’s no instruction book for how long ago it has to happen to be legitimate. I’m disappointed to see the country swing so far to the right though. Netanyahu has no interest in peace or a long term solution. He likes his riled up angry base.just like you know who.
This is pretty much where I'm at. A majority of both the Israelis and Palestinians support a two-state solution, but it's pretty clear Netanyahu has no interest in actually making progress to that. I appreciated that Obama tried to stiff-arm him as much as he could.

TDLink

fucking disgusting

fuck israel and fuck anyone that defends that shitty terrorist state

This shouldn't be an Israel vs Palestine thread, but no way. Despite whatever they've done, they're not a terrorist state. There's a lot of great people there. It -is- a democracy. And there are a lot of innovations coming out of that country.

Dr.Acula

Banned
In May, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed the Anti-BDS (Boycott, Divestments, and Sanctions) bill into law. The statute “prohibits all state agencies from contracting with, and certain public funds from investing in, companies that boycott Israel,” according to the governor’s website.

Aren't corporations people? Isn't that why Hobby Lobby can refuse to provide full health insurance? Why can't a company claim free-speech and say they don't need to adhere to the anti-BDS bill?

TDLink

They're okay with Jews as long as they stay in Israel.

Is that really why? That's bizarre.

This

The alt right do not like jews. I dont get it

None of this is correct. There are a few reasons. But primarily Jerusalem still holds significant importance for Christianity, and some crazies also believe all the Megiddo shit. After that, it's the fact that it's a democracy in the "crazy terrorist-laden Middle East" so a large portion of Americans identify with that. You also have some mixed in post-WW2 "we saved the Jews and have to keep them safe" people.

People in America definitely do not wide-spread dislike Jews being in America. Antisemitism is much more prevalent in Europe at the moment. People in America dislike muslims much more, and for many of them Israel is seen as the only thing fighting against them in the region (however wrong that may be).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
more like europe is more able to call israel on its bullshit. Not sayin they arent in danger of terrorist elements, but a lot of their own danger they put themselves in with their policies, and expect the billions of dollars of US aid and hold they have on US politicians to bail them out of their neo colonialist actions consequences

Cocaloch

This shouldn't be an Israel vs Palestine thread, but no way. Despite whatever they've done, they're not a terrorist state. There's a lot of great people there. It -is- a democracy. And there are a lot of innovations coming out of that country.

Much like Ireland it was a state formed through terrorism, that much at least is undeniable. I wouldn't call its actions now "terrorist", but that's partially because I don't think an institutionalized state can really be described as terrorist, it is however quite clearly an aggressive expansionist imperial state. Nothing about being a democracy means you can't be an empire. The first modern democracies, Britain, the US, and France, were very much empires.

Top Bottom