• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Sure, but he caused a ruckus in Hell and even came back to Earth in GT. "Dead" doesn't mean anything in DB's universe since the "strong" people get to keep their bodies (even the bad guys... for some reason.)

In the manga only heroes get bodies, period, and that's only if their planet's God repairs or remakes their body in case it's mangled or blown up.

Wait how can Piccolo and Roshi blow up the moon? There is only one moon.

Kami remakes the moon while Goku's training with him in exchange for permanently removing Goku's tail.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Bulma makes a big deal about having to put dead bodies in cryogenic chambers because Shenron will revive people in the current state of their body during the Demon King Piccolo arc.

Srsly?

I should really try and finish Dragon Ball...

As shitty as GT is, I was amused at Vegeta's interactions with the Z-Fighters as he's fully accepted the earth as his home.

Dude even started to wear earth clothes finally

I remember watching that episode where Piccolo blows up the moon for the first time thinking "Was that really the easier course of action instead of just cutting off Gohan's tail?"

Yea because the moon can't fight back.

One day, somebody is going to write a book about all the inconsistencies in Dragonball. It will be a big book.

Speaking of which I never got the whole you can revive people once thing with the Dragon Balls. People have come back more then once. Is it because the dragon balls are different each time?

Speaking of which I never got the whole you can revive people once thing with the Dragon Balls. People have come back more then once. Is it because the dragon balls are different each time?

its supposedly based on the power limit of the creator and usually holds up but they used another set of Dragonballs to break that rule (these ones being the "originals").

Dude, if Yajirobe could cut off Vegeta's tail, then surely Piccolo could have blasted Gohan's off. Not that I mind though. I think Piccolo somewhat spontaneously deciding to blow up the moon was a lot of what set DBZ's charm for me.

he could but why waste time and the risk of possibly getting injured/using up lots of energy on a ramaging creature.

Note it wasn't the smartest thing to do in hindsight given the moon's effect on the earth as a whole but i could see why and it was fucking cool lol

The whole "Dragon Balls can't grant the same wish more than once" thing first appears early in the "Z" portion, right before Goku goes to fight Raditz. It's some out of nowhere bit of info that Goku learned somehow, that, presumably, Toriyama added to make sure that the stakes were higher for people like Roshi or Krillin.

The Namekian Dragon Balls can be used to bring back people more than once, but only one at a time... until the Buu Saga where the Namekians suddenly reveal that they "powered up" their balls to bring more people back after that whole Freeza thing.

I'm kinda suspicious that Toriyama planned for the Namekian balls to play a role in the Buu saga, then didn't remember until he actually wrote that chapter that they didn't work the same way as Earth's, so he just pulled that out of his ass to cover it up.

The Namekian Dragon Balls can be used to bring back people more than once, but only one at a time... until the Buu Saga where the Namekians suddenly reveal that they "powered up" their balls to bring more people back after that whole Freeza thing.

But they already did the multiple people thing during the freeza arc (with that carefully worded wish bullshit).

But they already did the multiple people thing during the freeza arc.

Not with the Namekian balls. They brought back Piccolo, which brought back Kami, which brought back Earth's balls, and then used those balls to bring back all the people Freeza killed on Namek, which brought back Guru, which brought back the Namekian balls.

Not with the Namekian balls. They brought back Piccolo, which brought back Kami, which brought back Earth's balls, and then used those balls to bring back all the people Freeza killed on Namek, which brought back Guru, which brought back the Namekian balls.

Oh yea i forgot it was Earth's and used in the gambit they played in trying to get Guru to return.

But then Earth's version has better features since it does "batch" revival.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The whole "Dragon Balls can't grant the same wish more than once" thing first appears early in the "Z" portion, right before Goku goes to fight Raditz. It's some out of nowhere bit of info that Goku learned somehow, that, presumably, Toriyama added to make sure that the stakes were higher for people like Roshi or Krillin.

I'm kinda suspicious that Toriyama planned for the Namekian balls to play a role in the Buu saga, then didn't remember until he actually wrote that chapter that they didn't work the same way as Earth's, so he just pulled that out of his ass to cover it up.

When in doubt, Toriyama pulled it out of his ass.

jaxword

Everything in the Buu saga was pulled out of his ass on the fly because he was burned out and wanted it to just end.

AniHawk

Everything in the Buu saga was pulled out of his ass on the fly because he was burned out and wanted it to just end.

it seems like at that point he was almost actively trying to kill the series. overkill on the power ups, goofy villain. it was self-parody at that point.

TEJ

how come throughout this entire series, nobody outside of important characters actually remembers who goku is and what he can do.

at the end of z, only the world martial arts tournament announcer guy seems to remember him. ffs he was already doing amazing shit in the first martial arts tournament in db. he defeated the red ribbon army. demon king piccolo. etc etc etc

you would think he'd be a cultural icon, in the history books, have his own tv shows and action figure line, etc etc etc

I only saw a few episodes of gt, but at the end of dbz pan is a toddler who was powerful enough to sublex buildings. how she isn't world famous is beyond me.

but then I remember that most areas are extremely disconnected. some areas are stuck in the middle ages, and others are super high tech. You also have t-rex's roaming around.

also when everyone was killed at the end of dbz, did that include all of the characters in dr slump too? the dr slump db crossover episode also took place in db. the dbz event was like 30 years later.

but I also wonder about all the events that happened in penguin village in that 30 year timeframe. can arale age? what would a 40 year old arale look like?

jaxword

it seems like at that point he was almost actively trying to kill the series. overkill on the power ups, goofy villain. it was self-parody at that point.

It does seem that way. Or at least he was so burned out that he reverted back to gag plots and self-parody instead of the raising-the-stakes style he normally used. Compare the rising escalation of the androids, each one being a bigger threat and the characters genuinely being afraid, versus Buu being treated like a joke with Gotenks headbutting and farting and such.

how come throughout this entire series, nobody outside of important characters actually remembers who goku is and what he can do.

at the end of z, only the world martial arts tournament announcer guy seems to remember him. ffs he was already doing amazing shit in the first martial arts tournament in db. he defeated the red ribbon army. demon king piccolo. etc etc etc

you would think he'd be a cultural icon, in the history books, have his own tv shows and action figure line, etc etc etc

I only saw a few episodes of gt, but at the end of dbz pan is a toddler who could sublex buildings. how she isn't world famous is beyond me.

but then I remember that most areas are extremely disconnected. some areas are stuck in the middle ages, and others are super high tech. You also have t-rex's roaming around.

also when everyone was killed at the end of dbz, did that include all of the characters in dr slump too? the dr slump db crossover episode also took place in db. the dbz event was like 30 years later.

but I also wonder about all the events that happened in penguin village in that 30 year timeframe. can arale age? what would a 40 year old arale look like?

t8X8lN9.png

A big part of Goku's character is his denial of any fame. He (and by extension, the serious martial artists) don't care about the glory and getting famous. That's why Satan is such a big contrast to the rest of the cast.

Goku was quite happy to live in the country, quietly.

Also, there are a few references to people who remember Goku, i.e. Earth's King Dog, but only as a mythical figure who once killed Piccolo, not a Superman-like person everyone sees flying around saving the day daily.

But the Namekian balls give you three wishes and can bring people back to life an unlimited number of times.

the s on feature was the wrong letter there lol

What i meant was that it still had a better feature at the time, until Buu i guess (honestly forgot most of the Buu stuff).

A big part of Goku's character is his denial of any fame. He (and by extension, the serious martial artists) don't care about the glory and getting famous. That's why Satan is such a big contrast to the rest of the cast.

Goku was quite happy to live in the country, quietly.

Also, there are a few references to people who remember Goku, i.e. Earth's King Dog, but only as a mythical figure who once killed Piccolo, not a Superman-like person everyone sees flying around saving the day daily.

Even 18 did the same as she didn't care about fame either, although the prize money was another matter lol

BY2K

Membero Americo
Holy fuck. The whole thing. THE WHOLE THING.

Never thought they'd go as far as voice over a sex scene, though.

That and Yamcha's suicide.

Oh and "Too much bacon." *turns SS* "You take that back."

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Holy fuck. The whole thing. THE WHOLE THING.

Never thought they'd go as far as voice over a sex scene, though.

That and Yamcha's suicide.

Oh and "Too much bacon." *turns SS* "You take that back."

This EP was glorious, I'm not spoiling shit

Omfg

McNum

Well that came out of nowhere. Awesome!

It's almost as if DBZA is better when it doesn't have any major plot to going on. This episode was amazing.

Top Bottom