• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Veelk

Banned
So....anyone want to make a Gaf group?

I'd be down as a writer. I know some VERY limited video and audio editing, but I would feel more comfortable if someone else could handle that end.

Honestly, if you can pass the first round of making them laugh in 30 secs, I feel like you could get a decent chance in the top 30 just by doing a series obscure enough that nobody else is doing it.

Oh God this sounds amazing. Although my voice is too annoying for voice acting and I probably suck at it, but maybe I can give it a shot . My video editing isn't super great either. Writing...maybe?

Veelk

Banned
Honestly, if you can pass the first round of making them laugh in 30 secs, I feel like you could get a decent chance in the top 30 just by doing a series obscure enough that nobody else is doing it.

In my experience, something is only as easy to mock as it is earnest. It's not an absolute rule and it won't win anything by itself, but it's helpful to keep in mind.

For example, Yu-Gi-Oh is one of the easiest shows to mock because it's so dead serious about card games. I've gone back to watch it, and without trying to discredit LK, but the shows basically wrote the jokes for him. Often, all he had to do was describe what was happening in order to evoke a laugh.

DBZ is also extremely earnest in it's presentation, so something like Vegeta's pride speeches are easy to mock because he's so damn serious about them. Something like Gurren Lagann, however, would be harder to parody because it's in on the joke of itself.

So...idk. I would do FMA, but there are going to be thousands of entries in that. Akira maybe? Still popular but less so....I think Baccano or Durarara might be a good bet. Not niche, but not super well known, and those series are wacky, but very earnest as well. I really don't know that many niche anime, but those are the less famous ones I do know that would make a good fit.

I agree, we'd need to pick something relatively popular but less likely to be used. We could always go left field and do a non-anime source since I'm sure the majority of entries will be anime.

McNum

I feel like, this being NeoGAF and all, someone has to say this. There's one show that might just be ripe for abridging. In a world where spinning tops are extremely serious business, a generic hero with the usual tagalong crew, such as the lone wolf and the kid who needs to learn to believe in himself, all played perfectly straight. You all know it, it's back and deadlier than ever...

Beyblade!

I have no idea on how to do this exactly, but I just needed to make sure it was being considered.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I agree, we'd need to pick something relatively popular but less likely to be used. We could always go left field and do a non-anime source since I'm sure the majority of entries will be anime.

It's going to be funnier for the judges if it's something they recognize. I would agree that anime will probably be dominate, so steering away from that is probably best.

The Bible Abridged
The Wizard of Oz Abridged
Toy Story Abridged
The Rocky Horror Picture Show Abridged
Roots Abridged

Veelk

Banned
I feel like, this being NeoGAF and all, someone has to say this. There's one show that might just be ripe for abridging. In a world where spinning tops are extremely serious business, a generic hero with the usual tagalong crew, such as the lone wolf and the kid who needs to learn to believe in himself, all played perfectly straight. You all know it, it's back and deadlier than ever...

Beyblade!

I have no idea on how to do this exactly, but I just needed to make sure it was being considered.

Oh fuck, that's actually a really good pick. Yu-Gi-Oh levels even

Magwik

Banned
So....anyone want to make a Gaf group?

I'd be down as a writer. I know some VERY limited video and audio editing, but I would feel more comfortable if someone else could handle that end.
I'm definitely interested in this
Also another show aside from Beyblade that takes itself way too seriously was Bakugan.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Theoretically speaking, is it "easier" to parody an anime whose source material is very serious and unfunny, or to parody an anime whose source material is already a bit light and humorous?

The former seems like it would have lots of contrast and irony, which would make it potentially more funny.

Theoretically speaking, is it "easier" to parody an anime whose source material is very serious and unfunny, or to parody an anime whose source material is already a bit light and humorous?

The former seems like it would have lots of contrast and irony, which would make it potentially more funny.

I'd say it's easier to take a serious source and mess with it than working with a comedy where you're forced to work around the already goofy tone and craft new jokes to fit it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You'd have a much easier time working with something stupid that doesn't realize it's stupid. From there you deconstruct why it's stupid. Then you write.

Something like SAO would be stupidly easy.

While they're rife for ripping into, some of the most popular stuff like InuYasha is going to be done by tons of groups, so that could potentially hurt us in the end. I definitely think going with something out of left field may be our best strat.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
While they're rife for ripping into, some of the most popular stuff like InuYasha is going to be done by tons of groups, so that could potentially hurt us in the end. I definitely think going with something out of left field may be our best strat.

But nobody's done Inuyasha yet, so...

Magwik

Banned
Still holding into my Bakugan suggestion

But nobody's done Inuyasha yet, so...

Part of the contest is that only one entry of a particular source can advance, so if we were to do one show and they thought that another entry about the same show was better, we'd automatically be taken out of the running. By picking something less likely to be done but still relatively well-known, we reduce risking this.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I wonder how many attempts at One Piece there will be. Despite its popularity, nobody has been able to do a good Abridged Series. Not really a fan of None Piece.

Had a possibly over-elaborate idea for something, but I might wait to share it. Perhaps I could set up some kind of Google Doc for us to brainstorm/share ideas?

Magwik

Banned
I wonder how many attempts at One Piece there will be. Despite its popularity, nobody has been able to do a good Abridged Series. Not really a fan of None Piece.
It's not really that easy to parody something that is light hearted in nature. We could go get something out of the left field like Danny Phantom, Ben 10, or He-Man

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Part of the contest is that only one entry of a particular source can advance, so if we were to do one show and they thought that another entry about the same show was better, we'd automatically be taken out of the running. By picking something less likely to be done but still relatively well-known, we reduce risking this.

That's one hell of a stipulation.

That means we'll have to pick something super obscure.

Ended up making a Google Doc for us to use for brainstorming ideas and doing a roll call of sorts. Quote to reveal.

In addition, if someone would be interested in setting up a chat channel of some kind (Discord, etc) that might be helpful for real time stuff as well. A new thread just about the contest may also be a good idea in order to help get more eyes on the project, so I might start one up tomorrow if no one else has.

Edit: Fixed it, my bad!

Ended up making a Google Doc for us to use for brainstorming ideas and doing a roll call of sorts. Quote to reveal.

In addition, if someone would be interested in setting up a chat channel of some kind (Discord, etc) that might be helpful for real time stuff as well. A new thread just about the contest may also be a good idea in order to help get more eyes on the project, so I might start one up tomorrow if no one else has.

Edit: Fixed it, my bad!

I can make the discord chat if no one else is interested.

Top Bottom