• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Impressive liberties they took with Broly's voice.

I can't believe they did the Abridgemon joke again. So many references. I also forgot how terrible Saban's insert songs were.

BatDan

For those that don't get it.

Years ago, LittleKurbioh and Shadyvox made a video abridging the first episode of Digimon Adventure. The original is gone thanks to Saban but a version with Spanish subtitles can be found here. Don't worry the audio is still the same.

Only one video was made, and for some reason people kept asking TeamFourStar to make another, even though they had nothing to do with the first (people probably thought that due to MasakoX's presence). So a few years ago, TFS made this for April Fool's. It was less about Digimon and more about mocking the Abridged community in general.

And that leads to the newest video.

PurpleEyes at the end was incredible.

That was actually Antfish. But he was doing a damn good PurpleEyes impression.

KingBroly

Banned
The re-drawn animation/visuals in this were pretty fucking terrible. It's just so apparent and stands out really badly.

And the writing...I dunno where to begin on this one in terms of cohesiveness.

Order

I didn't like that one at all.

They honestly shouldn't have done those bits with new animation. It really made the whole thing feel sorta cheap.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The re-drawn animation/visuals in this were pretty fucking terrible. It's just so apparent and stands out really badly.

And the writing...I dunno where to begin on this one in terms of cohesiveness.
The redrawn visuals were great like usual... Until the semi-original animation at the very end. But considering it was drawn from scratch, it's still pretty impressive. I just don't know why they made an original animation rather than just steal one from the series.

The ending was lackluster but I'm not sure what else they could have done after making Wheelo a good guy (which was hilarious for most of the special). Because had they followed the movie's ending, Goku would've ended up a murderer, which wouldn't work either. Where's Vegeta when you need him?

mrmickfran

I wasn't a big fan of this one. The only time I laughed was with Yamcha.

I don't think any movie will top Android 13 abridged.

Cheerilee

The redrawn visuals were great like usual... Until the semi-original animation at the very end. But considering it was drawn from scratch, it's still pretty impressive.
I thought a lot of it really stood out. The ending just clicked me over to "Oh, so that's what looked off."

I just don't know why they made an original animation rather than just steal one from the series.
Because they only had maybe five jokes in this movie, one or two of which had no basis in abridged-style parody, so they kind of had to start making their own movie from scratch, otherwise it'd only have two or three jokes.

The ending was lackluster but I'm not sure what else they could have done after making Wheelo a good guy (which was hilarious for most of the special). Because had they followed the movie's ending, Goku would've ended up a murderer, which wouldn't work either. Where's Vegeta when you need him?
They could've drawn Vegeta in. Give him a "Mine mine mine mine..."

Savitar

I enjoyed it. Ironically I felt like it did what so many say they like about these things, it told an alt story instead of being just jokes.

Wiseblade

Didn't really feel it. Definitely the weakest of the movies/specials so far, it just compares unfavourably to History of Trunks, Android 13 and Dead Zone.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The thing that bugged me was that they stretched out jokes too much. Granted, this is something TFS does in every video, but not to this degree.

Also, there wasn't nearly enough Piccolo. Though really liked the "Well, if you think about it, aren't we all just..." line.

Oblivion

Watching this again, did anyone else really not feel the new Dr. Wheelo persona at all? It just fell completely flat for me. It sounded like it would be amusing in theory, but in practice it was super dull. I don't think I actually laughed at any of his lines at all.

And that damn ending scene. There were several portions in there where it wasn't necessary at all to create their own animation, which looks jarring as fuck. I mean, it actively bothered me.

After giving it second run, I have to say this is probably the weakest DBZ related video (either movie OR episode) that TFS has put out.

Sandfox

Watching this again, did anyone else really not feel the new Dr. Wheelo persona at all? It just fell completely flat for me. It sounded like it would be amusing in theory, but in practice it was super dull. I don't think I actually laughed at any of his lines at all.

And that damn ending scene. There were several portions in there where it wasn't necessary at all to create their own animation, which looks jarring as fuck. I mean, it actively bothered me.

After giving it second run, I have to say this is probably the weakest DBZ related video (either movie OR episode) that TFS has put out.

I agree.

Turin

Banned

I disagree. I rather liked him.

I agree about the ending scene though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Of their recent output, maybe. Some of their earliest stuff wasn't... great. The reason it took them this long to do World's Strongest is because they actually did it before. Their output didn't actually start at Episode 1.

BatDan

I do remember KaiserNeko saying they've considered making remastered versions of their early episodes. At least the first 10 episodes. I don't know if that ever got off the ground. Probably too much to do already.
They are getting through the next episode pretty quickly. 58% according to the site.

Oblivion

Of their recent output, maybe. Some of their earliest stuff wasn't... great. The reason it took them this long to do World's Strongest is because they actually did it before. Their output didn't actually start at Episode 1.

Oh shit, they did it before? Link, pls. I wanna compare.

And yes, their early episodes were pretty rough. But despite having lower production quality, I definitely feel I laughed more at even those episodes than this one.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I do remember KaiserNeko saying they've considered making remastered versions of their early episodes. At least the first 10 episodes. I don't know if that ever got off the ground. Probably too much to do already.
They are getting through the next episode pretty quickly. 58% according to the site.

A redo of season 1 would probably be worthwhile, but I'd much rather they just finish the entirety of Z.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Oh shit, they did it before? Link, pls. I wanna compare.

And yes, their early episodes were pretty rough. But despite having lower production quality, I definitely feel I laughed more at even those episodes than this one.

You were younger, and also, the concept of a DBZ abridged parody was new, so you might have chuckled at something really, really stupid like roshi's transforming drink. :p

Oblivion

You were younger, and also, the concept of a DBZ abridged parody was new, so you might have chuckled at something really, really stupid like roshi's transforming drink. :p

This is possible.

Holy shiz. I knew they were just starting out, but damn. I don't even mind that they're not even using decent mics, but dat sound editing...can barely hear Wheelo at all.

Also, their Goku persona is way off. He's not supposed to be an intentional asshole.

Still better than the re-made TFS dub.

Top Bottom