• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TFS DragonBall Z Abridged

Turin

Banned
Ding ding ding.

How is this not already a thing?

And I'd be down to help, so let's make some zing.

Oh it could be amazing. It has all of the ingredients for a great Abridged series if it has a good lead editor and writer behind it.

With that said..........

Part of the contest is that only one entry of a particular source can advance, so if we were to do one show and they thought that another entry about the same show was better, we'd automatically be taken out of the running. By picking something less likely to be done but still relatively well-known, we reduce risking this.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Everything that comes to my mind has an atmosphere that would suffocate the potential for being an enjoyable comedy.

Arrrammis

Oh man, that episode was fantastic. I love the Smarmy Cell, plus I really hope 16 keeps making those side comments, I absolutely died at his comments.
Cell: Killing Goku would be fun.
16: We're still not friends!
Cell: I'M TRYING 16!

I think my favorite thing about this arc has been how no one had gotten mad at 16, no matter what he says.

18 and 17 just accepted and were always really nice to him and even Cell just takes his broken dialog in stride.

Cell was actually my least favourite among the DBZ villains, but each new episode of Abridged is changing that.

Otherwise, I was considering taking part in #TIBA on a whim, but if GAF is getting involved that would probably be a better avenue. Unfortunately, my microphone quality sucks ass but I'm not sure what I could contribute beyond that and a series suggestion.

Anyway, if one needs to go the obscurity route while still having something earnest to have fun with, I would say a mecha series would fit - most never make it outside of Japan to start with, so you could pick pretty much anything at random without worry of competing with too many others. Maybe something from the 90s like GaoGaiGar so there's some better animation to play with.

Alternatively, and I suggest this as a 'popular yet somehow untapped' option - JoJo Part 2. Yes, AntFish has his series covering the Part 3 OVAs and the recent Part 1 anime, but there doesn't really seem to have been an attempt to cover Joseph's adventure in between them.

Dear God, do we finally get Mr Satan next episode? Feels like I've been waiting forever and I can't wait to see what they do with him.

They are going to call him Mr. Satan, right? Or at least dedicate half an episode to jokes on the name?

They had referred to him as Marc Satan before so I'm pretty sure it's going to be Mr Satan.

One of the Ps1 GT games combined the us and Japanese names and listed his full name as Hercule Satan and I always really liked that.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Cell was actually my least favourite among the DBZ villains, but each new episode of Abridged is changing that.

Totally agreed. They're actually making him likable.

I do have some questions about that fight though. Cell said that Vegeta wasn't naive enough to try to use that ascended saiyan form to fight. But...he was super buff during his fight with Cell as well. Did I miss something?

Cheerilee

I do have some questions about that fight though. Cell said that Vegeta wasn't naive enough to try to use that ascended saiyan form to fight. But...he was super buff during his fight with Cell as well. Did I miss something?

Vegeta and Trunks figured out the "trade speed for power" trick together inside the time chamber, and Vegeta arrogantly proclaimed it to be "Ascended SSJ".

Trunks then figured out that you could push Ascended SSJ past the point where Vegeta stopped, and he arrogantly thought "I'm going farther than my old man, because Oldy McOldface is old, so I better hide this ability and not tell Daddy that I can do this, because if he learns that I'm better than him he'll get jealous and hate me forever, and I desperately want him to love me."

But Vegeta (and Cell) had already realized that you could push Ascended SSJ past that point. Vegeta didn't stop because he was old, he stopped because he knew that trading away more and more speed for less and less power was a vicious cycle of diminishing returns. Vegeta knew it before even trying it. Vegeta assumed that Trunks knew it too. Trunks tried it out and he didn't even realize how much it slowed him down.

Edit: Double post

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dear God, do we finally get Mr Satan next episode? Feels like I've been waiting forever and I can't wait to see what they do with him.

There were actually about 8 episodes of the show between now and when The Cell Games start so there could easily be 1 or 2 episodes before then. There is some filler that could be cut here (like Gohan and Goku messing with Tao) but there's still some important stuff that they have to cover.

-Trunks has to return to the lookout and catch people up to speed about watching the news
-Goku and Gohan have to emerge from the time chamber
-Cell has to announce the Cell Games at the TV Station
-Dende has to make a new dragon
-Krillin has to mortally wound Goku with a rock (This was filler but no way is it getting cut)

After all that, the Cell Games can begin and we'll get Mr. Satan...

Unless they do Broly Abridged first.

What Cheerilee said.

In the episode where Trunks and Cell started to fight, Trunks was at Vegeta's "level" of the form until Krillin took Vegeta away which is when Trunks started his "I'll show you what I can REALLY do" and then in the random movie-level animation quality episode after that spent literally 93% of the episode flexing and screaming. People joke about "this is to go even further beyond!" but this episode was the definition of screaming power up. It was at this point that Trunks reached Street Fighter 5 levels of rover-buff and couldn't keep up with Cell anymore.

Oblivion

Vegeta and Trunks figured out the "trade speed for power" trick together inside the time chamber, and Vegeta arrogantly proclaimed it to be "Ascended SSJ".

Trunks then figured out that you could push Ascended SSJ past the point where Vegeta stopped, and he arrogantly thought "I'm going farther than my old man, because Oldy McOldface is old, so I better hide this ability and not tell Daddy that I can do this, because if he learns that I'm better than him he'll get jealous and hate me forever, and I desperately want him to love me."

But Vegeta (and Cell) had already realized that you could push Ascended SSJ past that point. Vegeta didn't stop because he was old, he stopped because he knew that trading away more and more speed for less and less power was a vicious cycle of diminishing returns. Vegeta knew it before even trying it. Vegeta assumed that Trunks knew it too. Trunks tried it out and he didn't even realize how much it slowed him down.

Edit: Double post

What Cheerilee said.

In the episode where Trunks and Cell started to fight, Trunks was at Vegeta's "level" of the form until Krillin took Vegeta away which is when Trunks started his "I'll show you what I can REALLY do" and then in the random movie-level animation quality episode after that spent literally 93% of the episode flexing and screaming. People joke about "this is to go even further beyond!" but this episode was the definition of screaming power up. It was at this point that Trunks reached Street Fighter 5 levels of rover-buff and couldn't keep up with Cell anymore.

Oh so when Trunks powered up, he wasn't just going to ascended saiyan level? He and Vegeta were already at that level, but when Trunks began to fight Cell, he went beyond that?

Sheroking

Goku isn't always smart as Super Saiyan. "Stuffed Crust, King Kai! You can eat it in reverse!"

That scene wasn't about him being smart in Super Saiyan form, it was about him being super smart about fighting and fighting strategy and nothing else.

Which aligns with the the real series, particularly Dragon Ball, where Goku is ridiculously ignorant about everything but quick enough in a fight to match strategy with Master Roshi.

Oh so when Trunks powered up, he wasn't just going to ascended saiyan level? He and Vegeta were already at that level, but when Trunks began to fight Cell, he went beyond that?

Pretty much. Trunks goes through three levels during their fights with Semi-Perfect and Perfect Cell.

Cell spots 18 and Trunks tries to stop him from eating her = Trunks goes ascended but still restrained, as to not make Vegeta mad that he's weaker.
Cell breaks Vegeta's back and Trunks starts to fight = Ascended and went as far as he could while still "comfortable" in the form. This was when he zapped Krillin while powering up.
Krillin takes Vegeta away and Trunks pushes himself further during movie-quality animation = "over" ascended, or as we called it back in the day, "Ultra Super Saiyan".

Because DBZ is dumb. Fun, but dumb.

Kalentan

While I do like Season 1... Would anyone object to TFS redoing season 1 after they finish? (When they do...)

It would be interesting to see what they would do now in comparison to back then. (Probably a little bit less jokey and more clever jokes.)

Stuart444

There were actually about 8 episodes of the show between now and when The Cell Games start so there could easily be 1 or 2 episodes before then.

IIRC, didn't Mr Satan appear on TV before showing off his strength and proclaiming he was going to beat Cell or something? Which is still before the games begin.

While I do like Season 1... Would anyone object to TFS redoing season 1 after they finish? (When they do...)

It would be interesting to see what they would do now in comparison to back then. (Probably a little bit less jokey and more clever jokes.)

I wouldn't mind. Would make it more consistent (both voice and audio quality wise) with the rest of the series.

Oblivion

Pretty much. Trunks goes through three levels during their fights with Semi-Perfect and Perfect Cell.

Cell spots 18 and Trunks tries to stop him from eating her = Trunks goes ascended but still restrained, as to not make Vegeta mad that he's weaker.
Cell breaks Vegeta's back and Trunks starts to fight = Ascended and went as far as he could while still "comfortable" in the form. This was when he zapped Krillin while powering up.
Krillin takes Vegeta away and Trunks pushes himself further during movie-quality animation = "over" ascended, or as we called it back in the day, "Ultra Super Saiyan".

Because DBZ is dumb. Fun, but dumb.

Ah okay, now it makes sense. Thanks.

Zelias

Banned
Cell is effortlessly entertaining every time he opens his mouth. His
impression of Trunks
had me in stitches.

16 is also great.

Sheroking

When they finish or with another editor, maybe.

Do you realize that the episode where Vegeta and Trunks go into the Time Chamber is the exact half way point of Dragon Ball Z? They started making Abridged in 2009 and are only a little more than halfway through.

Kalentan

When they finish or with another editor, maybe.

Do you realize that the episode where Vegeta and Trunks go into the Time Chamber is the exact half way point of Dragon Ball Z? They started making Abridged in 2009 and are only a little more than halfway through.

I do realize. That's why I said: "When they finish."

Suddenly, I realized this is headed to a very dark place.

I'm still hoping that 16's speech to Gohan is going be to trying to convince Gohan that it's ok to hate his father since Goku is kind of a bad parent. Gohan's rage at Goku will be what he uses to beat cell.

mrmickfran

16 steals the show once again.

WHAT CHANNEL

Also, this was infinitely better than World's Strongest. Holy shit was that a disappointment.

Kalentan

I'm still hoping that 16's speech to Gohan is going be to trying to convince Gohan that it's ok to hate his father since Goku is kind of a bad parent. Gohan's rage at Goku will be what he uses to beat cell.

Honestly Gohan seems to have mellowed out a but since they entered the time chamber.

Wiseblade

They've spent more time together in the time chamber than they ever did outside of it.
Not really. Goku was around until Gohan turned 4 and they spent 3 years training with Piccolo to fight the Androids. Theis is definitely the most bonding time Goku has ever spent with his son though.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I thought the episode was a bit weak, especially compared to the last one. Trunks is just not very funny-- if it weren't for 16 this episode would be pretty bad (and I think they overused him because they knew that).

Top Bottom