• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The #1 reason Sony will never release all their games on PC day-one.

FStubbs

Why does everyone forget about the 20% cut that Sony takes from literally every single game sold on Playstation? That is the only piece that makes me wonder what Sony really has planned. Obviously it is about the games, but additional first party game sales on PC will never in a million years make up for the loss of the 20% cut they take from every other game. I guess maybe they are considering creating their own storefront, but that will be tough going considering even Epic throwing endless money at their storefront has met with insane resistance.

There are reasons unique to Epic why that store faces resistance. Sony would not face those problems.

It appears that Sony die-hards are grasping at straws these days, trying to find any reasonable explanation as to why Sony has betrayed them and are trying to add reason that makes sure that their favorite console can still beat 100m sales.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Friend owns indie game studio and does it full time:
Me: Do you even give a shit about piracy? I saw you didn't drop any DRM into your game

Him: DRM is dumb as shit and only is fluff for an investor. No studio wants to spend money on DRM that's just going to get broken anyways, because they're not a security developer, they're an entertainment software developer. Shit as an indie studio, I want people to pirate my game. It's more likely they show the friend next to them that DOESN'T know how to pirate and buys my game. It's like paying random customers for advertising instead of paying it upfront, or that's at least what I tell myself.

Hell me and him became friends in high school over the fact we were pirates and into modding consoles and such
I didn't ask him his views on pirating AAA titles though, but we bonded over pirating...so...

Lol nah. One word:

DENUVO.
Psh, like DENUVO blocks us pirates...it's the Games for Live and shit like that, that is the ACTUAL nuisance...damn security is built into the OS layer. DENUVO just takes time.

-=-=-

Mind you, I'm not advocating piracy. If you pirate something, if you enjoy it, buy it and support the developer. I should be able to demo software before buying it.

pr0cs

Considering how many different places there are to buy digital software on pc and how often sales and discounts happen, people still pirate games on pc?
My backlog is so fucking big on steam alone why the fuck would I pirate anything?
If anything I'd say piracy is more likely on consoles due to a higher cost of software.

Fbh

Gold Member
LOL the good old "games don't sell on PC because everyone just pirates" argument.
And yet MS brings all their games to PC, more japanese devs than ever are bringing their games to PC and now Sony is apparently bringing some of their stuff too. Guess they all want to have their games pirated?.

The reason Sony probably won't bring their first party stuff to PC day 1 is marketing. You still give your console customers the "exclusivity" to play your games first. The big hyped release, the first time people get to play the game it's still going to be on Playstation, and Playstation is still the only place to play them for the first couple of years. Then once sales have slowed down considerably and you need to put the game on sale for $10 or $15 to keep sales going you go and put it on PC to get a nice big additional revenue

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
They will lol
They are msking to much money.
They going to lose a few sales because of fanboys but they will make more in the long run

thief183

To be fair, I don't know anyone that still pirates game on pc and only a couple with modded Ps4 ... is piracy still a thing?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
#1 reason should be because they actually sell and sell amazingly on their console, I could see why after 3 years they would potentially put it on PC to then get more money and sales out it when they have declined severely on the system by the time it happens

ElDiablo90x

Neo Member
If they do release their games on PC, it'll be interesting to see their DRM application (if they have one). I don't see them partnering with Steam to reduce their revenue by 30% unless their given caveats or start their own launcher (lol).

My money is that if they do release their games, it'll be on a delayed basis, i.e. only PS4 will be ported to PC while PS5 stays exclusive until the start of next gen. Halo has shown that PC gamers don't mind waiting as a whole.

Kacho

Gold Member
Well at least fanboys have that to comfort themselves with.

Most PC gamers are drowning in quality games to play btw, so late ports don't really matter. Sony would be leaving money on the table by selectively porting certain games. Might as well bring them all.

Kacho

Gold Member
To be fair, I don't know anyone that still pirates game on pc and only a couple with modded Ps4 ... is piracy still a thing?
Some people I know still pirate, but with how common good deals are it's rarely worth the effort.

Shifty1897

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Sony adopted a 1-3 year release delay for all titles on PC. Generate FOMO by releasing on PlayStation first, get all your sales there and maximize profit on your ecosystem, then once you've gotten all you can out of it there, release it on PC and profit off exclusive PC gamers and double dippers who want to play the game with increased graphical fidelity.

They should have been doing this since the start of the PS4.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I stopped reading as soon as you said PC gamers would look foolish. No way I could take the post seriously after that lol.

Its a wrap dude. Take your ball and go home. By the end of this gen, the only thing separating the 3 will be personal preference. Just because you made another thread for this, it doesn't make it any less likely to happen.
Well actually in current day if you wait long enough you can play anything and everything on a PC (if you have the proper specs).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PlayStation > Your Entire Ancestral lineage

But what if your lineage sailed the high seas plundering the booty! Yarrr!

ClassicWelloffCoelacanth-size_restricted.gif

PSYGN

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Sony adopted a 1-3 year release delay for all titles on PC. Generate FOMO by releasing on PlayStation first, get all your sales there and maximize profit on your ecosystem, then once you've gotten all you can out of it there, release it on PC and profit off exclusive PC gamers and double dippers who want to play the game with increased graphical fidelity.

They should have been doing this since the start of the PS4.

Wasn't there a rumor that the Xbox Series X would have a 'Windows mode' where it could run PC games? If Sony released their exclusive titles on PC day 1 and this were true then most people (aka not fan boys) would rather just get the XBOX if you can play all the exclusives on it. But I also don't own many digital games so it's easy for me to make that shift.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Its weird now find piracy in games toda. Steam have a low prices that i dont think is necessary take the risk to download a virus or something.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Why does it matter so much to some people?

Why do you care if some dude somewhere in the world plays the same game at the same time as you on PC or xbox?

Is it really that important to you?

i can understand that mentality if you are 12 years old or smth, but you are probably not?

Because the exclusives were used as a tool to enforce a superiority attitude to other platforms whether it be graphics, gameplay, story, etc.. Everyone knows that the PC version of *any* game (exclusive or otherwise) will be the definitive version -- and quite frankly that hurts some hardcore console players. I get it.

mcjmetroid

LOL the good old "games don't sell on PC because everyone just pirates" argument.
And yet MS brings all their games to PC, more japanese devs than ever are bringing their games to PC and now Sony is apparently bringing some of their stuff too. Guess they all want to have their games pirated?.

The reason Sony probably won't bring their first party stuff to PC day 1 is marketing. You still give your console customers the "exclusivity" to play your games first. The big hyped release, the first time people get to play the game it's still going to be on Playstation, and Playstation is still the only place to play them for the first couple of years. Then once sales have slowed down considerably and you need to put the game on sale for $10 or $15 to keep sales going you go and put it on PC to get a nice big additional revenue
That's simply all there is to it. It's not rocket science lads.

SleepDoctor

Banned
The damage control over the rumored 9.2 tf ps5 was funny. But this news coming after the fanboys laughed at it a month ago really came back to bite them in the ass. This shit is fuckin glorious lmao.

We went from "its bullshit" to "its one game" to "its a 3 year old game, who cares" to "its a smart business decision" to "its its only ps4 games" and now "they'll never be day one on pc" 😂😂😂😂😂

At least you guys are coming around little by little lol.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

The damage control over the rumored 9.2 tf ps5 was funny. But this news coming after the fanboys laughed at it a month ago really came back to bite them in the ass. This shit is fuckin glorious lmao.

We went from "its bullshit" to "its one game" to "its a 3 year old game, who cares" to "its a smart business decision" to "its its only ps4 games" and now "they'll never be day one on pc" 😂😂😂😂😂

At least you guys are coming around little by little lol.
So you think they're going to release Spiderman 2 or the last of us 2 on ps5 and pc day and date?

Like no.

Either way this horizan port hasn't been confirmed yet but I fully expect it to happen.

Also you have got to stop referring everyone as fanboys like a 16 year old from GameFaqs.

You lose credibility with me when you ever use the word fanboy. Takes me back to the Wii60 days and not in a good way.

SleepDoctor

Banned
So you think they're going to release Spiderman 2 or the last of us 2 on ps5 and pc day and date?

Like no.

Either way this horizan port hasn't been confirmed yet but I fully expect it to happen.

Also you have got to stop referring everyone as fanboys like a 16 year old from GameFaqs.

You lose credibility with me when you ever use the word fanboy. Takes me back to the Wii60 days and not in a good way.

Ohhhh and you know this because you're an insider right??? Lose "credibility" from a fanboy who's an emotional wreck over some possible pc ports? Lol i definitely don't need credibility from you or anyone who gets this emotional over a plastic box. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

OT: I come here for news and to talk about games but lately about 90% of the forum is people like you crying in almost every thread and in the process derailing them. But i get a great kick out all these overreactions and personal attacks. So thanks for that.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Guys, I don't think the PC exclusives will come day and date. But I do think they will come within months. I'm really shocked at a lot of you guys. As close to the industry news as you guys are, the writing was on the wall way back in early 2019. Did ya'll miss the hints by some devs of 1st party companies that had their thoughts on ray-tracing taken down on Twitter? When Detroit was announced on PC and then Death Stranding and then articles about some 1st party devs saying "I'd love to make our game on PC, but it's Sony's decision.. "

It was ALL there without ANY inside info..and yet it went over everyone's head after I kept repeating these things over and over in various threads.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Ohhhh and you know this because you're an insider right??? Lose "credibility" from a fanboy who's an emotional wreck over some deossible pc ports? Lol i definitely don't need credibility from you or anyone who gets this emotional over a plastic box. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

OT: I come here for news and to talk about games but lately about 90% of the forum is people like you crying in almost every thread and in the process derailing them. But i get a great kick out all these overreactions and personal attacks. So thanks for that.
You think you're playing the high ground with the
"look at all these fanboiz. What losers"
stance but nobody is buying it.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I still need a source of Horizon coming to PC and not just some guy from Kotaku claiming things.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Switch is truly the last console with real exclusives.

In exclusive low lag handheld gameplay and actual titles. 👮‍♂️💥🚔👮‍♀️🤠

Top Bottom