• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Big update below. Final Four update below that. :eek:

Fkjtz.gif

It's that time of year again. March Madness.

For the uninitiated, the NCAA men's college basketball championship is decided by a 68 team, single elimination tournament. There are pools run in offices and homes around the country where everyone fills out a bracket and hopes that they will get the most correct picks. While most of these are played for money, here on GAF, we play for NOTHING. That's right, absolutely nothing. Still fun, though. Also, most office pools are generally won by secretaries who know nothing about college basketball and pick winners via favorite color, so don't be afraid to enter!

The tournament will be on Yahoo sports.

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/register/joinprivategroup_assign_team?GID=77277&P=12345

GAF bracket challenge thingy - Group ID# 77277
Pwd: 12345

Your top seeds!

6VGMy.jpg

THE Ohio State University, Kansas, Duke and Pittsburgh! (Bracket hint: a #1 seed has never lost a first round game)

The bracket.

4Ow4w.gif

I'll update this post with a bracket and maybe some fancier graphics when they become available.

WEEK 1 UPDATE:

The first week of the tournament has finished. Before we get to the standings of the challenge, let's give the NCAA bball selection committee some pointers.

If the team you're thinking about has 14 losses, they suck. DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE FIELD! That's a warning, otherwise, I will immortalize their ineptitude in a jpg.

USC (11 seed, 19-14) 46-59 VCU (11)
Penn St (10 seed, 19-14) 64-66 Temple (7)
Tenn (9 seed, 19-14) 45-75 Michigan (8)
Mich St (10 seed, 19-14) 78-76 UCLA (7)

wimBL.jpg

Let Charles Barkley be your guide.

Marquette Golden Eagles Seed: No. 11
Villanova Wildcats Seed: No. 9
St. John's Red Storm Seed: No. 6
West Virginia Mountaineers Seed: No. 5
Georgetown Hoyas Seed: No. 6
Cincinnati Bearcats Seed: No. 6
Louisville Cardinals Seed: No. 4
Connecticut Huskies Seed: No. 3
Syracuse Orange Seed: No. 3
Notre Dame Fighting Irish Seed: No. 2
Pittsburgh Panthers Seed: No. 1

KeAwc.jpg

When the bracket expanded to 68, the NCAA said it was to allow more 'mid-majors' in, yet we all knew it was to get more big 6 teams into the money.
Perhaps we could even some of this out.

Rk Conf in remain record

1 Big East 11 2 9-9
2 Big Ten 7 2 7-5
3 Big 12 5 1 4-4
4 Mountain West 3 2 4-1
5 Atlantic Coast 4 3 7-1
6 Southeastern 5 2 4-3
7 Pacific-10 4 1 4-3
8 CUSA 2 0 0-2
9 Atlantic 10 3 1 3-2
10 Colonial 3 1 4-2
11 Horizon 1 1 2-0
There are 37 at-large bids for the tournament. 7 went to mid-majors, 10 went to the Big East. I heard a lot of bluster about letting "people who know basketball" pick the teams for the tourney. I agree, just not the talking heads at ESPN or whatever. They don't know basketball, either.

Onto other business.

A shoutout for Cinderella! Richmond, VCU and Butler!
C8Y1a.jpg

First one to place these schools on a map wins a prize!
Actual prize does not exist.

Jimmermania!
5YTfU.jpg

Updated GAF standings:
Pos Name #correct/rd 1 2 Projected Winner Points Possible Pts
1 Carr Kurupts 27 22 Syracuse 49 101
2 Wheels Against The World 24 24 Ohio St. 48 172
3 SamuraiX- 25 22 Ohio St. 47 131
4 OJ Mayo's paper lunch 28 18 Ohio St. 46 154
5 8 way tie

Final Four Update

The Final Four is set!

Congratulations to (8)Butler

PmwhA.jpg

(11)Virginia Commonwealth

0LIEp.jpg

(3)Connecticut

4D50m.jpg

and (4)Kentucky

pjiWX.jpg

Dumb post of the week thread forever.

Brettison said:
Hate on me if you will basketballs fans, but I want to like the tourny yet believe it's over hyped. Realistically these days there are about 10 schools with elite head coaches that coach well year in and year out (minus a random bad year here and there), get a lot of the recruits, and legitly have a chance to win it all. Everyone else is just playing to make the sweet 16 and maybe have a random break out year every few years and make the big 8 or final 4. They still won't win it all though.

The 1st 2 weeks of the tourny are supposedly zomg amazing with awesome moments and a joy to watch, but it's just a charade that always ends when you get to crunch time and the final 8 teams.

Updated GAF standings:
Pos Name --- Points Possible Pts
1 The Winna! 69 69
2 One Million Dollars 67 67
2 KingBrave 67 67
2 The Yellowcard Reunion Tour 67 83

Still plenty of people alive to overtake the above. I'm not one of them. :sadface

Hall of shamefulness
122 UtahJazzDomination

It appears that this is wrapped up, but for some reason, yahoo says he can still earn one more point...

Hall of shame - unfilled/partial brackets
BigNasty's Big Picks (Heels!)
dantehemi
The descent

ascii42

I still can't believe we got a 2 seed and Kentucky got a 4.
5 SEC East teams, 0 West teams, unless I missed something.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
ErasureAcer said:
If one does lose this year...I'd say it'll be Arkansas-Little Rock over Pitt.

I was hoping that BYU would hold onto a #1 so they could choke...but noooooo, some college kid had sex. Can you imagine?

jakncoke

Banned
chuckddd said:
I was hoping that BYU would hold onto a #1 so they could choke...but noooooo, some college kid had sex. Can you imagine?

I hope for him it was some kinky filthy sex, but he probably got kicked out for some minute man type sex.

Hootie

I'm holding on to my 1-in-1,000,000,000,000 that BU becomes the first 16 seed to beat a 1 seed.

Go Terriers!

;_;

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
bluehat9 said:
Anyone know where I can find a printable bracket that lists the game locations too? CBS used to do it. :(

They'll come out as soon as the interns type it up. Then I'll link one up top.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I pissed and moaned every game we played last year and we won it all so I'm gettin my reps in to throw the team under the bus starting second round.

Jeez, look at that bullshit, we'll never win again without Irving/ Rivers/ Batman

I think I'm in game shape.

jakncoke

Banned
Proelite said:
Why does Pitt's have the the weakest 1-4 seeds?

They better make the final four.

Yeah you'd think we got #1 overall. Does us having a play-in as well mean the committee thought we were #2 strongest?

Lkr

NewLib said:
Is it sad thats exactly what I thought when I saw that region.
I took UCLA over them anyway. Goddamn, I can't believe I think Notre Dame can win the whole thing :(

NewLib

Banned
Lkr said:
I took UCLA over them anyway. Goddamn, I can't believe I think Notre Dame can win the whole thing :(

To be honest, I think Michigan State matches up really well against Florida and BYU. UCLA is the worst matchup they have in that entire half of the region!

bluemax

Banned
USC probably has the most favorable bracket of any Pac 10 team and they're not likely to go far.

At least we made the tournament!

Lkr

NewLib said:
To be honest, I think Michigan State matches up really well against Florida and BYU. UCLA is the worst matchup they have in that entire half of the region!
BYU isn't going anywhere though. I have them squeaking out of their first game, but no way in hell can they beat St. Johns.
UCLA is going to take care of MSU anyway

Tapiozona

Banned
bluemax said:
USC probably has the most favorable bracket of any Pac 10 team and they're not likely to go far.

At least we made the tournament!

Na, any team in the SE region has an easier time than you guys do.

First GAF bracket, woohoo!!! A damn shame I'll be traveling the first weekend and will miss out on the annual glory that is next Thursday and Friday. I hope this new 4-channel setup works well.

(go KU)

legend166

I know nothing about college basketball but I will join.

If any of you lose to an Australian whose knowledge of college basketball extends to what I hear on PTI and Bill Simmons, along with "Duke? Oh yeah, that's where those false rape allegations happened," you should be ashamed.

From the other thread:

Anyone know the best way to get Tix? Me and my buddy are going to go to Cleveland because he's a big Cuse fan. Ticket master is showing 237 for all sessions but when I search 2 seats it says no results.

bucknuticus said:
From the other thread:

Anyone know the best way to get Tix? Me and my buddy are going to go to Cleveland because he's a big Cuse fan. Ticket master is showing 237 for all sessions but when I search 2 seats it says no results.
I'm curious as well.

If we make it all the way to Newark, I am definitely going. I'm only about three hours away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom