• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Australian Open Tennis Championships (Melbourne, Jan. 14-27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globox_82

Banned
Djokovic will be fine. He recovered from a grueling 5 hour match against Murray in the semis last year and was able to win the 6 hour final two days later against Nadal. Berdych, whom he owns, will be no problem compared to that.

that was semi, this was 4th round. He has yet to play Berdych, Ferrer, Andy/Roger(hopefully roger). That's a lot. But he has an advantage of one extra day to rest before finals so we shall see. I doubt he is going to meet another inspired player in this tournament, no like this. Stan was tonight better then Federer, or Rafa or Andy. the way he played was insane. With so much power and variety, he moved as well as anybody. I honestly thought this was Rosol 2.0 type of match. And it was but this time favorite won...

but boy is this good for confidence. I still think his FH is not what it was back in 2011

qindarka

Banned
I did really want Novak to lose to blow the top half wide open but I don't really mind him in general. Immense fight and defence from him as always.

Globox_82

Banned
Q. You've been involved in some pretty dramatic matches, here especially. Where does that one rank, and how pleased are you to come out of it alive?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, it definitely ranks right at the top. One of the longest, most interesting, and most exciting matches I played in my career.

You know, he had many chances to be the winner of this match. He had a better start; he had a lot of break balls in the third; he was a break up; he was the one being aggressive, being in the court.

All the credit to him. I feel sorry that one of us had to lose. He definitely deserved to win.

But I'm just thrilled to be able to fight once again up to the last moment. The fact is that I haven't played nearly my best and I didn't feel well on the court in terms of rhythm and ball striking.

But the credit to him, he made me run all over the court. He never gave me the same ball. He was aggressive from both sides. I didn't know what's coming up next. So I'm just really full of joy after this match.

Q. You changed your shoes after the first set. Did that make a big difference?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, started slipping on the court during the first and beginning of second. Yeah, I don't know.

I changed the shoes, but to be honest, I mean, that's not the reason why I started maybe better. I just refocused.

And even though when I was 6 1, 5 2 down, I believed that I can come back if I am two sets down. I've been in those situations before. I was just outplayed by my opponent. He was better on the court for first hour and a half, no question about it.

In this circumstances when you're not playing the way you want to play, you just try to fight and hope for the best.

Q. How much do you think all those matches you've won like this in recent years helped you out in the fifth set like that?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It helps you, I guess, mentally in the end the most because it is physically very demanding for both of us. Obviously, we pushed each other to the limit.

But in the end these kind of matches, after five hours, definitely help your confidence. As I said on the court, these are the matches that you live for, you practice for. You want to be on the center court and play on such a high level for five hours.

It's incredible.

Q. When you ripped your shirt off, can you describe the emotion?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I just had flashback of 2012 in the finals. It was maybe 45 minutes less this match than the one 12 months ago, but still it was still as exciting. I guess everybody enjoyed the match. I tried to perform my best, you know, enjoy the moment, be in the present, and couldn't ask for more. What a match point. Unbelievable.

Q. Had you always suspected Stan had this quality in him?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I always knew he has a quality. He has ability to beat the best players in the world, and he has proven that on several occasions on different surfaces.

He's been around for a while. He's using that power and the serve. He's really moving well over the court. He's reading the game.

So he came up with a great tactics today. As I said, he didn't give me a lot of same rhythm that I could, you know, kind of get into the match. He was the one being in charge. I was passive. I changed that style. Everything else you saw.

Q. How tired were you? Were you more tired tonight than last year in the final?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: No. I mean, last year after the whole tournament, last year I was definitely exhausted, you know, after the whole tournament.

But tonight there is no doubt I'm not very fresh. It's normal to expect after five hours of play.

But still I've been in those situations before. I remember most recently, four months ago when I won against Murray in the semis after five hours, and then played against Rafa almost six hours.

I know I can recover. I know I have it in me. I wasn't too much worried about the physical part. I was ready for it. I was ready to go the distance, and I've done so. Hopefully I can take that day off tomorrow and recover for quarters.

Q. Men's tennis has generated such a level of interest. The reactions to it straightaway and during were incredible. It's almost, can we get any better.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I'm just pleased to be part of that era, just pleased to be part of those matches where you push yourself up to the last drop of your energy.

I'm very glad to be a winner of another marathon.

Q. Andy told us he heard after that semifinal last year you woke up at 3:00 the next afternoon.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah.

Q. Do you think it will be the same tomorrow?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I guess so. What is it, 2 a.m.? I don't know if any of you guys have something for me to sleep better, I don't know. I'm ready for any suggestions.

Q. Red wine.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I guess I'm going to skip the morning hours and stay in the bed.

Interview http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2013-01-20/201301201358694382416.html

btw was Stan crying as he was leaving the court?

and
proxy.jpg

szaromir

Banned
that was semi, this was 4th round. He has yet to play Berdych, Ferrer, Andy/Roger(hopefully roger). That's a lot. But he has an advantage of one extra day to rest before finals so we shall see. I doubt he is going to meet another inspired player in this tournament, no like this. Stan was tonight better then Federer, or Rafa or Andy.
Except when he collapsed in the second set. Still a great fight from him.

Djokovic will be fine. He recovered from a grueling 5 hour match against Murray in the semis last year and was able to win the 6 hour final two days later against Nadal. Berdych, whom he owns, will be no problem compared to that.
Well he's one year older, he might not recover as easily. And while he won the tournament last year, I'd argue he paid the price for it for the better part of the last season.

Globox_82

Banned
Except when he collapsed in the second set. Still a great fight from him.

Well he's one year older, he might not recover as easily. And while he won the tournament last year, I'd argue he paid the price for it for the better part of the last season.

well Novak turned 2-5 vs federer(in the second set) as well back in 2011, so you have to give him credit, he raised his level and deserved it. I know you don't dig him but let's be fair.

Second part, I agree he paid the price last year, but at the same time I think loss in RG final hurt him even more.

I fell asleep at the start of the match with the tv on. Woke up and they were still playing. Crazy.
I remember I did that with the isner and mahut match, woke and was like damn they're replaying this match already, then dozed off and saw the match still on and was like another replay and I had to double take and saw what set and game they were on lol.

szaromir

Banned
well Novak turned 2-5 vs federer(in the second set) as well back in 2011, so you have to give him credit, he raised his level and deserved it. I know you don't dig him but let's be fair.
He definitely was spectacular today, no doubt, though in the end not tennis skills but superior fitness carried him to the victory. After it got to 5-5 in the fifth Wawrinka was not moving well anymore (Novak either, but better than Stan). I hate battles of attrition in tennis. :(
(and yes, if it was best of 3 Novak still would have won as he got to 2 sets first)

Globox_82

Banned
He definitely was spectacular today, no doubt, though in the end not tennis skills but superior fitness carried him to the victory. After it got to 5-5 in the fifth Wawrinka was not moving well anymore (Novak either, but better than Stan). I hate battles of attrition in tennis. :(
(and yes, if it was best of 3 Novak still would have won as he got to 2 sets first)

I agree Novak was far far from his best, that worries me more then 5hrs of tennis. I doubt he will ever reach 2011 level again. Stan was unreal as I said before.
I love these battles, it shows how mentally strong players are. Because if we just look at skills, then someone like Berdych should have a couple of slams by now considering how big his game is. But since he is not mentally strong as Novak, Roger or Rafa we see him often times collapse and give up.

Saty

Shame he couldn't serve it out for a 2-0 sets lead, but a tremendous match nonetheless. Wawrinka always had the game; the mindset and nerves was what in doubt. Good to see he kept at it 2-1 sets down.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I woke up part way through the fifth set...damn Stan. Wish he would've won, but at least he played a tough match. I've always felt he could be a top ten mainstay (his one handed backhand is easily one of the best), and hopefully he can make a push going forward.

So let's see... Fed v Raonic is the 2nd night match. Night session starts at 2:30am my time. First night match is Serena. OK. So if I wake up by 3am I should be awake just in time for the start of Fed =P

So let's see... Fed v Raonic is the 2nd night match. Night session starts at 2:30am my time. First night match is Serena. OK. So if I wake up by 3am I should be awake just in time for the start of Fed =P

4am is better cause Serena starts at like 2:45 nd theres 15min between matches.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Extremely disappointed with Wawrinka failing to defeat Djoker. That 5-2 lead in the second set.... *sigh*

Fed vs. Raonic; should be interesting considering their matches were always close.

Pretty much a dream draw for Sloane here, never faced a chick inside top 40, facing chick outside top 50 in the 4R. IMO she still has to prove herself against the top players in the world, I'm not so sure about her game really.

Anyways should be a straightforward victory for her here, Bojana is a brainless ball basher IIRC and Sloane's defense will just be too much for her.

Pretty much a dream draw for Sloane here, never faced a chick inside top 40, facing chick outside top 50 in the 4R. IMO she still has to prove herself against the top players in the world, I'm not so sure about her game really.

well unfortunately she has Serena williams next. She's one of two players in the draw that I feel Stephens can't beat

So after the phenomenal drama we had last nite, does anybody think milos has a shot at taking down roger?

I don't really have a favorite player in tennis and I love rooting for the underdog usually and if Roger gets upset, it doesn't really affect the draw too much cause most likely it'll be a joker/murray final but I want some up and coming star to win and not these top few guys again :p

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
He definitely has a shot, all their matches last year went the distance. That was best of three though, hard to say how Milos' fitness would hold up in a five setter. Main disadvantage for Milos is his return game. If the sets got to tiebreaks, he has a really good chance there, but I don't see him breaking Federer too often, if at all. Still, I think Federer will win, probably in four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom