• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Australian Open Tennis Championships (Melbourne, Jan. 14-27)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after the phenomenal drama we had last nite, does anybody think milos has a shot at taking down roger?

I don't really have a favorite player in tennis and I love rooting for the underdog usually and if Roger gets upset, it doesn't really affect the draw too much cause most likely it'll be a joker/murray final but I want some up and coming star to win and not these top few guys again :p
Stop stop stop. Murray is not that good brah. Everybody please stop overrating him because he won a gold medal and was gifted a Us Open. Fed would school that brah.

Stop stop stop. Murray is not that good brah. Everybody please stop overrating him because he won a gold medal and was gifted a Us Open. Fed would school that brah.

I said if Fed gets upset tonite, that'll be the likely final. So I never said Fed would lose to Murray.

*back from a 5-hour nap*

NEVER AGAIN

Haha...I slept in til 4:30pm today, but it was only about 7 hours of sleep, so I guess I'm slightly more prepared to stay up tonight if the match turns into a 5 hour epic.

Two players lol? I think her and Robson are a tad overrated really.

Robson is about right. Her ranking is what, 55? Stephens will be in the top 20 after she wins this match, and I expect her to be nearing top 10 by the end of the year. She has made at least the QF of both Australian open series tournaments she played this year, so she's clearly showing improvement and it's showing through her results. Also I'll note that clay is her favorite surface.

szaromir

Banned
So after the phenomenal drama we had last nite, does anybody think milos has a shot at taking down roger?

I don't really have a favorite player in tennis and I love rooting for the underdog usually and if Roger gets upset, it doesn't really affect the draw too much cause most likely it'll be a joker/murray final but I want some up and coming star to win and not these top few guys again :p
I would normally agree with you, I was rooting for Tomic despite his big mouth. However Raonic is a servebot that has no place in GS QF, so I'm hoping Fed will beat him the same way Murray did at USO.

Robson is about right. Her ranking is what, 55? Stephens will be in the top 20 after she wins this match, and I expect her to be nearing top 10 by the end of the year. She has made at least the QF of both Australian open series tournaments she played this year, so she's clearly showing improvement and it's showing through her results. Also I'll note that clay is her favorite surface.

She'll be ranked inside the top 20 after this match yet she only has two top 20 wins in her career, so she still has a bit to prove. I think I can see some definite improvements in her game and it'll be interesting to see her play good competition over the next few months.

Whhhaaaaaaaa. You forgetting something?
That was old choke-in-slam-finals Murray. He's a new and improved man now, plus it's a SF.

I would normally agree with you, I was rooting for Tomic despite his big mouth. However Raonic is a servebot that has no place in GS QF, so I'm hoping Fed will beat him the same way Murray did at USO.

Yup.

Also LOL @ Tsonga about to drop a set to Gasquet.

Ranking really doesn't mean anything. Somebody that plays every tournament could be ranked higher than djokovic/fed etc... cause they get more total points just from playing more.

I remember there was a girl named Dinara Safina who was #1 in the world, but never won a Grand Slam and would always choke and lose in the 1st or 2nd rounds of them.

And the Williams sisters are usually ranked lower cause they don't play as much. There doubles team is #12 in the world, but they are probably the best, just they're ranked 12 cause they don't play that much outside of Grand Slams.

Melbourne is like the perfect scheduling Grand Slam, besides the fact that primetime runs really late. I also like that the mens semifinals are 2 different days both the only match on primetime.
Tomorrow theres only 3 matches on Rod Laver and then 1 primetime match. Same with the day after and the hecticness of early rounds in Grand Slams settled after the first 2 rounds.

Roland Garros doesn't have a primetime and matches always get suspended due to darkness so theres always alotta matches going on at the same time on several courts or resuming in progress from the day before.

Wimbledon also doesn't have primetime and takes the first sunday off, so they also have alotta matches on at the same time on several courts and as a spectator, you'll never know when the match you wanna watch will begin.

US Open is the same as Melbourne, except it always seems to rain there. It's been monday finals for who knows how long and I also dislike that mens semifinals are played the day before the final.

This match between Sloane and Bojana is pretty bad..who is the top player that was in this section again? They done goofed up.

Edit: Banana takes the second set.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
God, these screams, she needs to give that shit a rest.

Looks like Tsonga is going to make his way through (nobody's surprised).

Edit: Her grunts sound like she's sneezing every time she hits the ball lol

szaromir

Banned
Gasquet totally lost his cool.

This Jovanovski-Stephens match looks like junior tennis TBH. At the moment it feels like that group age will not achieve much.

MIMIC

Banned
God, these screams, she needs to give that shit a rest.

Looks like Tsonga is going to make his way through (nobody's surprised).

Edit: Her grunts sound like she's sneezing every time she hits the ball lol

I just tuned in.

WTF
Km6SR1w.gif
Km6SR1w.gif

Sloane has been uncharacteristically passive in this match. She's letting the Serb dictate the points, and defense is not what wins her matches. She'll need to work on that going forward if she wants to get better.

Gasquet totally lost his cool.

This Jovanovski-Stephens match looks like junior tennis TBH. At the moment it feels like that group age will not achieve much.

Junior tennis sounds about right, matches like these are why I remain very skeptical about Sloane's prospects as a top player; hopefully she'll prove herself though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sometimes it feels like every WTA players that goes against Serena yells "HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THAT SCARY MUSCLES" and then just withers/whimpers in front of her.

Saty

Radwanska-Li the first match tomorrow, the heck? World #4 vs #6. They should have switched them with the Sharapova match.

szaromir

Banned
Wilander's too opinionated for a tennis commentator. In many ways he's right, but often it's just WTF. He said Nadal and Murray are just extremely talented tennis players, whereas Federer and Djokovic are inhuman freaks. He also said it should be embarrassing to have cramps in a third round night match.

MIMIC

Banned
Sloan shouldn't get to comfortable with ESPN. They are so desperate for the next heir apparent after Serena that they would surely turn her into a puppet to advance their agenda. They are wolves and would only put more pressure on her. They're already asking her about her "responsibilities" as the 2nd ranked American.

EDIT: She gives a fun interview, though :) Great personality

Sloan shouldn't get to comfortable with ESPN. They are so desperate for the next heir apparent after Serena that they would surely turn her into a puppet to advance their agenda. They are wolves and would only put more pressure on her. They're already asking her about her "responsibilities" as the 2nd ranked American.

EDIT: She gives a fun interview, though :) Great personality

I like her showgirl attitude. She doesn't compete, she performs on the tennis court

Saty

Just like on the mens side, people really only care about seeds 1-3

Nah, they care. The realize it's the bigger match and probably are more interested in watching it. Maybe it's the organizers that didn't want to put the great Sharapova in the first match of the day under the heat of the sun.

Bleh, the match starts at 2:00 AM here.

Novak is still the biiiig favorite to win this. With a day rest those players in their 20s are not tired anymore. Federer on the other hand can't do the b2b marathons anymore and that's why he only wins if he can dodge either murray or djokovic. Both? Nope not on HC.

Novak is still the biiiig favorite to win this. With a day rest those players in their 20s are not tired anymore. Federer on the other hand can't do the b2b marathons anymore and that's why he only wins if he can dodge either murray or djokovic. Both? Nope not on slow-as-shit Plexicushion HC.

Fixed for accuracy.

szaromir

Banned
Nah, they care. The realize it's the bigger match and probably are more interested in watching it. Maybe it's the organizers that didn't want to put the great Sharapova in the first match of the day under the heat of the sun.

Bleh, the match starts at 2:00 AM here.
Radwanska always asks to play the first match of the day if possible, Li doesn't like night matches either because she has reportedly limited vision at night.

Ugh

I want to stay up for the Raonic/Federer match but its 3:30am.......I guess I'm cheering for Serena to win this 6-0, 6-0

I'm rooting for that too. Or for the other person to win 6-0 6-0 xP

The djokovic match kept me up til almost 10am yesterday. I'm hoping this match will be just as epic, but won't require me to stay up so late.

Radwanska always asks to play the first match of the day if possible, Li doesn't like night matches either because she has reportedly limited vision at night.

Damn how do you know these insider details? :p

Sucks if Li gets to the final though since that is a primetime affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom