• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Australian Open Tennis Championships (Melbourne, Jan. 14-27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i was expecting raonic to have bigger groundies. needs to work on that before he even gets to del potro/berdych tier. movement around the court looks awkward like isner.

i dunno if i want to stay awake to watch the rest of this. its 3am here hah

MIMIC

Banned
LOL Raonic is so bad. If he isn't serving out wide or down the middle, he might as well just concede the point. And they all better be 1st serves.

Randomly wandering to the net, trying to go for winners in inopportune positions....he needs so much work if he wants to contend for a slam.

LOL Raonic is so bad. If he isn't serving out wide or down the middle, he might as well just concede the point. And they all better be 1st serves.

Randomly wandering to the net, trying to go for winners in inopportune positions....he needs so much work if he wants to contend for a slam.

He can't win just off aces

szaromir

Banned
I know all other guys play day matches which are faster and Roger only gets night sessions, but it seems to me his forehand has lost even more of its explosiveness over the offseason. :(

88random

Raonic :)

Wiggum%2520chief.gif

So in the QF we have the #1, #2, #3, #4, and #5 seeds as well as the #7, and #10. Jermey Chardy making it to the QF was the only real upset when he took out #6 DelPo. #8 Tipsaravic was also eliminated a round too soon.

Smellycat

This match is almost identical to the Tomic match in terms of scoreline!!

Federer has been fantastic in this tournament so far. He has not dropped serve yet, and he is through to his 35th consecutive QF. I hope he can keep it up.

qindarka

Banned
One extreme ballbasher though! Am I the only one thinking Ferrer is the only one not on upset alert?

Nah, I think Almagro can potentially trouble Ferrer, despite the ridiculous 12-0 H2H. he has been playing well, been bombing his serves.

Would say that Murray is the safest. Just don't see Chardy troubling him in a slam QF.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Glad Roger made it through :) for having thile toughest draw, he's definitely making it look easy. Still, the real tests will start now. Tsonga hasn't been overly impressive this tournament though, so I think Fed will comfortably win.

Also, Chardy did beat Murray in Cincinnati over the summer, so he's certainly capable. I doubt he'll actually win, but I think it might be surprisingly competitive.

szaromir

Banned
Tsonga can servebot very well.
Tsonga is no servebot. On a good day his serve is booming, but he has game and doesn't rely on the shot that's supposed to start the point as his main weapon. You might as well call Federer a servebot since he has the best serve in the top ten.

LuuKyK

Who seriously thought Kimberly Clijsters would beat Federer in that match? lol Seemed pretty obvious he didn't have a chance.

Excited for today, great matches.

szaromir

Banned
Who seriously thought Kimberly Clijsters would beat Federer in that match? lol Seemed pretty obvious he didn't have a chance.

Excited for today, great matches.
Fingers crossed Berdych will be useful for once (actually he did his job once at Wimbledon 2010, maybe he'll remember that).

LuuKyK

Fingers crossed Berdych will be useful for once (actually he did his job once at Wimbledon 2010, maybe he'll remember that).

I have a feeling he will play GOAT again here. But I don't know, Djoko is playing well. Its always on his hand imo. :S Lets see.

Nadal needs to come back!

It's kinda BS that Djokovic has Ferrer as his semifinal 2 majors in a row and if Djokovic were to get upset before the final, then the other half of the draw would have a much tougher semifinal than final.

MIMIC

Banned
QUARTER FINALS

ATP:

(1) DJOKOVIC, Novak [SRB] vs. (5) BERDYCH, Tomas [CZE] (Tomorrow @ 3am EDT, today @ 7pm local)
(4) FERRER, David [ESP] vs. (10) ALMAGRO, Nicolas [ESP] (after after Na-Radwanska match)

CHARDY, Jeremy [FRA] vs. (3) MURRAY, Andy [GBR]
(7) TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried [FRA] vs. (2) FEDERER, Roger [SUI]

WTA:

(1) AZARENKA, Victoria [BLR] vs. KUZNETSOVA, Svetlana [RUS]
(3) WILLIAMS, Serena [USA] vs. (29) STEPHENS, Sloane [USA]

(6) LI, Na [CHN] vs. (4) RADWANSKA, Agnieszka [POL] (Today @ 7pm EDT, 11am local)
(19) MAKAROVA, Ekaterina [RUS] vs. (2) SHARAPOVA, Maria [RUS] (after Ferrer-Almagro match, but not before 3:30 p.m. local)

szaromir

Banned
Djoko x Berdych -> Djoko wins 3x2. :lol I really cant predict this. Its actually on Berdych hands, it depend on how consistent he is today, but I still think Djoko will come out as the winner.
Berdych has a terrible record against defensive players in general (Djoker, Murray, Simon). It's fair to say that the outcome really depends on Djokovic, however he might not bring the intensity later in the match. We'll see. Berdych is probably aware of it so he'll come out guns blazing. It should make for an interesting match, and yeah I'm hoping this one time the Czech can get the job done.

Djokovic will be fine. He has had time to get two micro doses of epo that leaves your body in eight hours. Or he just ate gluten free stuff. Your pick.

MIMIC

Banned
When are these matches being played? I tune in for the grand slams, but with ESPN's 7 hour blocks of this stuff, it's hard to actually find the right match.

I updated the post with the scheduled times.

The matches with no times will be played tomorrow & Wednesday eastern time (Wednesday locally)

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Radwanska with an early break. Good start.

Aaaaaand dumps it back :( shouldn't have said anything :/

Edit 2: aaaaand gets it back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom