• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Australian Open Tennis Championships (Melbourne, Jan. 14-27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Didn't realise why Robson was getting *quite* such enthusiastic crowd responses given she's a long way from home 'til I discovered that she was actually born in Melbourne. Yeah, I think she might well have the crowd on her side whenever she's down under!

szaromir

Banned
Didn't realise why Robson was getting *quite* such enthusiastic crowd responses given she's a long way from home 'til I discovered that she was actually born in Melbourne. Yeah, I think she might well have the crowd on her side whenever she's down under!
I don't think it has anything to do with it, Brits in general seem to enjoy great levels of support at AO, just look at this Watson-Pervak video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IGch6bly00

Timbuktu

Did Robson ever have the choice of representing Australia? I guess they would claim her if she keeps going like this.

And I kinda get why she seems to get more attention in the UK than Watson even if they are ranked the same. Her game does perhaps make her a better prospect potentially. I did it was just because the way she looks or that Murray picked her for the Olympics doubles.

szaromir

Banned
Did Robson ever have the choice of representing Australia? I guess they would claim her if she keeps going like this.

And I kinda get why she seems to get more attention in the UK than Watson even if they are ranked the same. Her game does perhaps make her a better prospect potentially. I did it was just because the way she looks or that Murray picked her for the Olympics doubles.

Robson won juniors' Wimbledon at a very early age and she already collected several big wigs (Clijsters, Li, even Kvitova earlier today). Watson so far has been useless against quality opponents. Well she has a shot at it 5 hours from now, let's see if she improved in the offseason..

That will end at the hands of Sloane Stevens. Stevens beat her a couple weeks ago as well.
I watched that match. Both played pretty bad, Sloane at the end just got too many balls back and Laura just too inconsistent.

Given the form Robson showed in her Kvitova match I can't imagine this one being any different.

Whoever wins will be expected to reach the QF.

mclem

I think it's fair to say that Robson has had the higher-profile successes, but both feel like they have some potential to go far - what really matters, though, is that I hope they keep driving each other to push further. I've never really known a time when we had *one* particularly excelling female player - Annabel Croft was just before I took an interest in sports - and right now we have *two*!

szaromir

Banned
yeah I can see that. She's taller and thus has more potential to match the Russians pound for pound
Well at least she's able to play competitive matches against top players at 17. Stephens and Watson are 20 and still aren't able to do that. I like all styles of tennis, but I think Keys has a better shot at becoming a top player than most of youngsters.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The tv producers' love of the super slo-motion + Ana Ivanovic's hate of brassieres =

5KGgu.gif

He's waving a giant American flag, you sickos!

MIMIC

Banned
The Djoker-Steps match has been great so far.

Novak about to break for the set now. Then I can go to bed (and hopefully he closes it out in 3)

Kanyon

Man, Leconte is so fantastic to listen to on commentary.

I've been really enjoying his commentary, so much passion... Shits all over Jim Courier and Bruce McAvaney.

EDIT: Just checked some scores... Fuck, Bartoli is out! I had a real soft spot for her! Looks like I'm jumping on the Ivanovic and Robson bandwagon...

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Was anyone watching during the Benneteau/Tipsarevic match? I'm hoping that ball boy has a grotesque birthmark and that massive red mark on his face isn't from getting smoked by a ball.

Speevy

Banned
Kevin Anderson takes Verdasco to a fifth set.

I wish this tournament started four hours earlier.

I can't stay up this late every night damn it.

LuuKyK

Is it me or all the Tipsarevic matches go to five sets? lol

Anyway. One hour for the Sugarpova match. Cant wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom