• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2015 US Open |OT| 31th August – 13th September

Status
Not open for further replies.
The power game would probably be more dominant if the women went to best of 5. It's really hard to chase balls down or outthink your opponent for hours on end, especially in very hot/humid conditions.

It'll never happen anyway because the TV producers and tournament organisers wouldn't have it.

The power game would probably be more dominant if the women went to best of 5. It's really hard to chase balls down or outthink your opponent for hours on end, especially in very hot/humid conditions.

It'll never happen anyway because the TV producers and tournament organisers wouldn't have it.

neither would the players.

Halep and Lisicki are only continuing because there is an end in sight. If they were playing best of 5, one would retire. Specifically, the loser of the 3rd set would retire

oti

Banned
Halep is a champion.
Lisicki is not.

BTW: Eurosport's adds changed from generic mobile F2P hell game to trading apps. When did that all happen?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
anyone know who's the commentator on eurosport for the murray-anderson match? i think the other dude called him chris, but i don't know.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nice win by Flavia. She's made the QFs here 6 times (only made it to the semis one of those times).

it should be more across the board and flatter payout. Prize money is nothing for players like Federer, Djokovic, Sharapova, Williams..

Nah.

I like the tennis pay as it is. You play a good tournament then you get rewarded. If you don't then you shouldn't be rewarded as much.

Prize money might not mean something to them now. But at one stage it did.

I hate how in football now even the most average players earn like 60-100k a week.

oh fuck this.

murray's draw is horrific and even if he wins this i just can't see him getting past SF. heck id even be vaguely worried with wawrinka. his serve is total shit.

Niraj

I don't think I'd be confident in Anderson winning until he had triple match point, and even then I'd be skeptical.

Nah.

I like the tennis pay as it is. You play a good tournament then you get rewarded. If you don't then you shouldn't be rewarded as much.

I hate how in football now even the most average players earn like 60-100k a week.

you create a barrier that's harder to push trough. guys like Federer, Djokovic, Murray and co can hire full time coaches, trainers, medical stuff, nannies for kids, private jets. no wonder it's tougher for younger guys to break trough.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
now murray has to break the k-man if he doesn't want to go two sets down. i'm going to bed, though. will be interesting to check the results in the morning. you won't hear from me again if isner beats federer because i will have slit my wrists. good night, gentlemen.

now murray has to break the k-man if he doesn't want to go two sets down. i'm going to bed, though. will be interesting to check the results in the morning. you won't hear from me again if isner beats federer because i will have slit my wrists. good night, gentlemen.

i'm done with feeling bad for weeks when federer loses in a GS.
now it's only a few days.

gn8.

Niraj

You had a good run.

this court is genuinely murray's kryptonite. I'm not sure whether he even has a point or if its in his head but damn. i can't see him breaking, anderson's serve is just too good.

you create a barrier that's harder to push trough. guys like Federer, Djokovic, Murray and co can hire full time coaches, trainers, medical stuff, nannies for kids, private jets. no wonder it's tougher for younger guys to break trough.

Well guys like Federer, Nadal and Djokovic had Agassi, Sampras, Roddick, Safin who could do all that and they managed ok.

The system has been the same for years. Young players are always going to have good players in their way. But only Nadal out of the four really burst on and won a slam straight away. The other 3 had to work hard in their early years.

Diamond

Nah.

For us it can appear to be a good system as it is, because we only watch the 50-100 best players in the world (and often make comments about how bad they are, but that's another matter). There are hundreds of guys, very good guys, who barely make ends meet in the Challenger/Future circuit, and ultimately it's not good for the sport because it doesn't encourage parents to support their children to play professionally, it doesn't encourage guys who have a bad season but could improve to go on, and we probably lose talents that way. Yes, winners of big tournaments should win a lot, but the disparity in prize money is really extreme these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom