• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2016 24 Hours Of Le Mans |OT| Includes a support race in Baku

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalin80

Banned
Ford wants that win bad.

They have been handed it.

The cars shouldn't even be eligible for entry yet alone a 4 car factory effort which is unprecedented in recent years. They then received continual BoP boosts despite obviously sandbagging and fixing results.

It has been a complete scam of an entry.

Don't think the ACO will do anything about the Fords, hope Ford get some bad publicity out of this.

Next quali session is 19:00 local time.

Didn't listen to RLM, did they mention anything about the introduction of engine tokens and 10 MJ class for 2018?

Don't think the ACO will do anything about the Fords, hope Ford get some bad publicity out of this.

Next quali session is 19:00 local time.

Didn't listen to RLM, did they mention anything about the introduction of engine tokens and 10 MJ class for 2018?

You know as well as I do that won't happen.

Ford is pretty much making off like bandits and the ACO won't care.

dalin80

Banned

They didn't really cover anything LMP1 wise except for the Audi number 8 and it's issues.

Brief mentions of the GT BoP shenanigans but mostly it was LMP2 discussion and there usual mix of clichés and JH's incoherent ranty waffling.

I will be out tonight and will miss both of the sessions. :(

Word is there might be a slight chance for some dry running before midnight in tonight's session.

Grid is no doubt set for the most part, but it'd be great if the 'Vettes could at least get past the AM cars.

Dilly

Banned
I can't acces my profile because it keeps giving a server error, so I can't download my tickets... It's been like this for 4 hours.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The LMP1 headlights in night qualifying are truly incredible. Would love to have them on my car.

As sport goes, those rainny qualifying sessions were a bummer, but what a thrill seeing those on board shots of cars tearing down at 300 kph under water. Very impressive and nice to see.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
How is the forecast for the race? I can still remember that storm when they just had to put safety cars on (i think that it was last year?).

Lender

How is the forecast for the race? I can still remember that storm when they just had to put safety cars on (i think that it was last year?).
Last I've heard was showers on Saturday, should (mostly) be dry on Sunday.

BoP hammer has landed on Ford and Ferrari after their testing times shenanigans.

Two sets of numbers floating around about the two F's will be carrying about 10kg extra with a touch less boost and the Corvette and Aston have had their air restrictors *slightly* opened up.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/ford-ferrari-hit-with-pre-race-bop-changes/

I wont be surprised to see an independent testing procedure in place next year.

After the qualifying results, something clearly needed to be done in the name of class parity. DSC is reporting that the Fords will have a reduction in boost from ~4000-7000 rpm, (in addition to the weight penalty), whereas the Ferraris are slowed solely via added ballast. Aston Martin, Corvette and Porsche all get extra fuel capacity, too, although there's no restrictor adjustment for the 911s.

As for testing, the preseason test that determined this year's initial BoP was already done by independent FIA test drivers. The situation in GTE is unique given the extent of manufacturer development, compared to GT3 once the cars are in the hands of customers.

dalin80

Banned
http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/Re...ombinedClassification_Qualifying Practice.PDF

Final Qualy results for those interested. With the multiple weather interruptions it's not the cleanest way to measure performances though.

LMP1-H's a couple of seconds off last years times but I expect race pace to be very close. The field looks much tighter with Toyota having an improved year so far. Shame there's only 6 runners but the VAG group hasn't had the greatest year so hey-ho. Also no Nissan following last years less then fun-time experiences!

LMP1-P's Seem on pace with last year but with the H crowd suffering from a selection of reliability troubles so far I wouldn't rule out a rebellion appearing on the podium. But in terms of race pace they are still too far off. The series needs some loving from the rulemakers and hopefully that will boost numbers.

LMP2's- We have a healthy grid of these little beasties and they are always great for close racing and drinking games, just to warn anyone taking part in the 'spin=shot' game that Liver disease kills. They look to be about 1/1.5s a lap faster this year and it's also the last we will see of the open top cars before they all go fully closed next year.

GTE-Pro- ... A lot has been said here! We all know that Ford has had a dubious year so far of midfield performances and off sector times but low and behold come qual they find 5s a lap over testing and they and the new Ferrari beat the other cars in class by around an unprecedented 3.5s. The BoP hammer fell swiftly and I'm guessing some words were said about them trying to trick the system. To be fair though the other GTE's were around 1s off last years times which could easily be down to the colder, greasier conditions.

GTE-Am- No real changes to speak of for this group, only a few 458's left in the running now which seems the end of an era. I will never forget the many years of great memories of drivers with more money then talent smacking a 458 into anything stationary or otherwise.

Good times.

dalin80

Banned

I have, it all depends on what they mean by DRS.

Flappy wing that only works on a silly 'within x time at y point' gimmick? Nope get that BS out.

A driver controlled variable aero dial that can be used at any time? Cool.

Should let the privateer guys run higher downforce through the twisties and still keep the good top speeds, they are already the fastest cars along the straights at LeMans. With only 9 LMP1's in total we really need the privateer guys in the hunt, even if only in the background they need to be there to pounce on any Hybrid car with issues or on the wrong strategy.

NHale

After the qualifying results, something clearly needed to be done in the name of class parity. DSC is reporting that the Fords will have a reduction in boost from ~4000-7000 rpm, (in addition to the weight penalty), whereas the Ferraris are slowed solely via added ballast. Aston Martin, Corvette and Porsche all get extra fuel capacity, too, although there's no restrictor adjustment for the 911s.

As for testing, the preseason test that determined this year's initial BoP was already done by independent FIA test drivers. The situation in GTE is unique given the extent of manufacturer development, compared to GT3 once the cars are in the hands of customers.

Ford should have been stripped of every qualifying time at least as well. This was embarassing in so many levels but thankfully they fucked their strategy of fooling BoP before the actual race. Now imagine if they sandbagged the qualifying as well... then race starts and they go 5 seconds clear of everyone. I'm sorry but when I think about it, they needed to be removed from the race. Ford needed to suffer bigger consequences for cheating the system.

dalin80

Banned
Now imagine if they sandbagged the qualifying as well... then race starts and they go 5 seconds clear of everyone. I'm sorry but when I think about it, they needed to be removed from the race. Ford needed to suffer bigger consequences for cheating the system.

There is precedent for how that is dealt with.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...hini-in-daytona-24-penalized-for-sandbagging/

Although the bittersweetness for Lambo was that they cost themselves the win when two of their cars collided for no real reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY-8ZMRGqKY

Finally found my home for the weekend.
3AQmK.gif

Glad that Fox Sports Go is streaming the whole race. Finally a convenient way to watch it in the US.

dalin80

Banned
Also on a bit more of a sad note this race marks the last year of Leena Gade, well regarded by drivers, teams and fans the Audi engineer who is a familiar voice to any who have watched before and nicknamed the 'Queen of Lemans' is heading off to Bentley GT.

Just wont be the same.

dalin80

Banned
You'd think Nissan would have their shit together now, given their resources.

To be fair they tried something radical and it *could* have worked if it didn't get caught in a chain reaction of problems.

Ignoring the oddball choice of a mostly FF car.

The hybrid system didn't work, this meant they were down to about half power and that all of that power was coming through the front wheels when some was supposed to be delivered by the rear as well (about 200bhp out of the 1250+). They had to carry that hybrid system around even though it didn't work which is a couple of hundred kilos of dead weight. With no hybrid system to absorb the energy under braking they had to fit different untested brakes and even then they overheated. With the different brakes they had to fit different wheels and tyres, bits that were *really* not designed for the car. From all of this and the lack of testing they were running the wrong suspension system and set-up producing a car that was absolutely horrific over kerbs and on tight locks.

It wasn't all a failure, thanks to the cars fancy super slick aero and body tunnels it was the 2nd fastest car on the straights despite only having half power and to be honest if fully developed could have been a top tier runner at LeMans.

But that brings us to another problem, the WEC. It isn't only LeMans anymore, with 6h races scattered across the globe and every one of them being 1:An awesome race and 2:An awesome test session you can't have a car that only works at one event anymore, even if it is 'the big one'.

It was a PR disaster for Nissan, one that gave them cold feet about the event which they had publicised heavily so it was either come back and dominate or quit. They went back to testing and from various sources that testing was going well and the car was visually evolving but then something else happened... This is mostly speculation on my part but it's a widely believed scenario- The Nissan could do well at LeMans because of its impressive power output, that big feature that allowed them to compromise everything else and still have hope at the main race, but, the ACO for safety reasons introduced a 1000bhp limit to the event, for the other big teams losing ~150bhp wasn't a biggy they were racing awesome all round race cars but Nissan? They needed the big power output to pull this thing off.

Also on a bit more of a sad note this race marks the last year of Leena Gade, well regarded by drivers, teams and fans the Audi engineer who is a familiar voice to any who have watched before and nicknamed the 'Queen of Lemans' is heading off to Bentley GT.

Just wont be the same.

More than just her final Le Mans, I believe this is her final race as lead engineer for the #7 crew.

If they could somehow find a way to overcome the odds and send her off with one last win, it'd make for a wonderful story.

Anyone know if the FIAWEC site only streams the main race? I'd assume so since it doesn't show a live race when I log in. Only asking because I wanted to stream on my PC and not on my tablet. Warm up is about to start, wanted to leave it on while i sleep lol

edit: nvm it started working right after this post

Shaneus

Do we know when this starts? Can never work out in Australian time when the LM24 kicks off.

Debating whether to get premium coverage too, or not.

I should have bought Red Bulls. But 11 hours of sleep time should keep me going for quite some time.

My predictions:

LMP1: some Porsche (Toyotas will be fast, but will break in inglorious (and funny to me) manner. Wich will lead a Rebellion for podium finish because Audi seems to have
forgotten how to do Le Mans after Porsche's comeback.

LMP2: #43 (one of the strongest crews in LMP2, won Silverstone and showed good pace at Spa. But LMP2 is hugely competitive, you never know who got the upper hand in the end)

GTE-Pro: some Ford (which would be ridiculous after the sandbagging debacle)
GTE-Am: #98 Aston

My hopes:

LMP1: #8 Audi (which would make di Grassi the first Brazilian driver to win Le Mans. But Audi doesn't look that strong to pull this off)

LMP2: #43

GTE-Pro: #64 Corvette (I'm a Aston fan, but Corvette need to win this after the Ford sanbagging shenanigans)

GTE-Am: any Aston Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom