• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Bridge of spies is surprisingly good. Brooklyn is for Film majors. Haven't watched the room.

Still SMH that Martian made to the oscars.

Brooklyn is just a good film period. It's well directed, well acted, well paced, and has story and dialogue that are both very effective.

I loved this film.

In all seriousness if Stallone wins best Supporting Actor over Tom Hardy I will find that very surprising.

Don't get me wrong. Stallone was great, but Tom Hardy was excellent.

I mean, you will be surprised if BFCA, GG, all critics favorite Sylvester Stallone beats surprise, out of nowhere nominee Tom Hardy?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
In all seriousness if Stallone wins best Supporting Actor over Tom Hardy I will find that very surprising.

Don't get me wrong. Stallone was great, but Tom Hardy was excellent.

You ain't taking Sly's award away this time. This is 40 years of work + his baby, with possibly his best role ever.

He's put in the time which is probably the most important thing to the academy.

gamz

You ain't taking Sly's award away this time. This is 40 years of work + his baby, with possibly his best role ever.

And Tom Hardy wasn't as good. Sorry, Sly deserves this.

my predictions.

Best Picture
"The Big Short"
"Bridge of Spies"
"Brooklyn"
"Mad Max: Fury Road"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"
"Room"
"Spotlight"

Best Director
Adam McKay, "The Big Short"
George Miller, "Mad Max: Fury Road"
Alejandro González Iñárritu, "The Revenant"
Lenny Abrahamson, "Room"
Tom McCarthy, "Spotlight"

Best Actor
Bryan Cranston, "Trumbo"
Matt Damon, "The Martian"
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Revenant"
Michael Fassbender, "Steve Jobs"
Eddie Redmayne, "The Danish Girl"

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett, "Carol"
Brie Larson, "Room"
Jennifer Lawrence, "Joy"
Charlotte Rampling, "45 Years"
Saoirse Ronan, "Brooklyn"

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, "The Big Short"
Tom Hardy, "The Revenant"
Mark Ruffalo, "Spotlight"
Mark Rylance, "Bridge of Spies"
Sylvester Stallone, "Creed"

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Jason Leigh, "The Hateful Eight"
Rooney Mara, "Carol"
Rachel McAdams, "Spotlight"
Alicia Vikander, "The Danish Girl"
Kate Winslet, "Steve Jobs"

Best Original Screenplay

"Bridge of Spies"
"Ex Machina"
"Inside Out"
"Spotlight"
"Straight Outta Compton"

Best Adapted Screenplay
"The Big Short"
"Brooklyn"
"Carol"
"The Martian"
"Room"

Best Foreign Film
"Embrace of the Serpent"
"Mustang"
"Son of Saul"
"Theeb"
"A War"

Best Documentary Feature
"Amy"
"Cartel Land"
"The Look of Silence"
"What Happened, Miss Simone?"
"Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom"

Best Animated Feature
"Anomalisa"
"Boy and the World"
"Inside Out"
"Shaun the Sheep Movie"
"When Marnie Was There"

Best Film Editing
"The Big Short"
"The Revenant"
"Spotlight"
"Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

Best Original Song
“Earned It,” Fifty Shades of Grey
“Manta Ray,” Racing Extinction
“Simple Song #3,” Youth
“Til It Happens To You,” The Hunting Ground
“Writing’s On The Wall,” Spectre

Best Original Score
"Bridge of Spies"
"Carol"
"The Hateful Eight"
"Sicario"

Best Visual Effects
"Ex Machina"– Mark Williams Ardington, Sara Bennett, Paul Norris, and Andrew Whitehurst
"Mad Max: Fury Road" – Andrew Jackson, Dan Oliver, Andy Williams, and Tom Wood
"The Martian" – Anders Langlands, Chris Lawrence, Richard Stammers, and Steven Warner
"The Revenant" – Richard McBride, Matt Shumway, Jason Smith, and Cameron Waldbauer
"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" – Chris Corbould, Roger Guyett, Paul Kavanagh, and Neal Scanlan

Best Cinematography
"Carol"
"The Hateful Eight"
"The Revenant"
"Sicario"

Best Costume Design
"Carol"
"Cinderella"
"The Danish Girl"
"The Revenant"

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

"The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared"
"The Revenant"

Best Production Design

"Bridge of Spies"
"The Danish Girl"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"

Best Sound Editing
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"
"Sicario"

Best Sound Mixing
"Bridge of Spies"
"The Martian"
"The Revenant"

Best Short Film, Live Action
"Ave Maria"
"Day One"
"Everything Will Be Okay"
"Shok"
"Stutterer"

Best Short Film, Animated
"Bear Story"
"Prologue"
"Sanjay's Super Team"
"We Can't Live Without Cosmos"
"World of Tomorrow"

Best Documentary Short Subject
"Body Team 12"
"Chau, Beyond the Lines"
"Claude Lanzmann"
"A Girl in the River"
"Last Day of Freedom"

Azazzel

Honestly I liked Matt Damon more than Leo. He's better at portraying emotion and his fit of rage in the buggy was more sincere than an entire movie of Leo moaning, breathing heavily, showing us his disgusting spit bubbles and showcasing a bad accent for the millionth time.

As Mike and Jay said, Lep has wool over everyone's eyes for some reason that he's a really good dramatic actor.

Man, i've said in another forum that Leo lately has been typecasted lately yet everyone laughed at me. Seriously, he's not getting very meaty roles that can show a large range that i'm sure he can pull off ( he did it in Catch me if you can).

Anyway, at least The Revenant seems like a different movie but still not good enough for Leo to win an oscar.

Look, in the end Leo is going to win for shivering in a cold environment and eating mud like every pussy seven year old did at school

If this doesn't tell you the Oscars suck farts out of Jack Nicholson's asshole then I don't know what does

Oersted

mic5.jpg

Sean C

Thoughts on the categories (less the shorts, which I haven't watched):

Picture
Will Win: The Revenant
Should Win: Mad Max: Fury Road

I'm 8 for 8 with the nomination films. Of the three films that seem in contention to win, The Revenant ranks below Spotlight for me, but ahead of The Big Short.

Director
Will Win: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu
Should Win: George Miller

I'm 5 for 5 here. Miller is, for me, well ahead of everybody else in terms of bringing vision and directorial style to the material. My second choice would be Lenny Abrahamson, for the degree of difficulty in executing a film set inside a single room for half its running time and hanging so much on a child actor.

Actor
Will Win: Leonardo DiCaprio
Should Win: Michael Fassbender

5 for 5 in this category. Leo would be my second choice here, so I'm fine with him winning.

Actress
Will & Should Win: Brie Larson

3 for 5 in this category, missing Blanchett and Rampling.

Supporting Actor
Will & Should Win: Sylvester Stallone

5 for 5 in this category, with Stallone way ahead of any of the other nominees. Ruffalo would be my second choice.

Supporting Actress
Will Win: Alicia Vikander
Should Win: Kate Winslet

4 out of 5 in this category, missing Mara. Vikander would rate second in my ranking of the four performances I've seen (by far the best thing about her film); I'd have considered her for first place if not for her placement in Supporting Actress being colossal category fraud.

Original Screenplay
Will Win: Spotlight
Should Win: Inside Out

4 out of 5 in this category, missing Straight Outta Compton. For my will/should ranking, both of those films are in my Top 5 for 2015, so I'm fine with either.

Adapted Screenplay
Will Win: The Big Short
Should Win: Room

4 out of 5 in this category, missing Carol. Among the so-called Big 8 categories, this one has probably the biggest gap between my personal preference and the presumptive winner, though I liked The Big Short overall. Donoghue's work adapting her own novel was fantastic.

Editing
Will & Should Win: Mad Max: Fury Road

5 for 5 in this category. Lots of great work here. If Miller can't win, well, at least his wife may.

Cinematography
Will & Should Win: The Revenant

4 for 5 in this category, missing Carol. Emmanuel Lubezki wins for the third year in a row; I agree with two of those three, the exception being last year's win for Birdman.

Production Design

5 for 5 in this category. This was a tough one to call, as neither of the Best Picture heavies nominated are what would be called typical winners (not much set indoors in either film; The Revenant would be winning primarily on the basis of location scouting).

Costume Design
Will Win: Carol
Should Win: Cinderella

4 out of 5 in this category, missing Carol. This was the hardest category for me to call; you can make a solid case for why all of the five nominee will win. I'm betting on Carol winning, sight unseen, based on the prestige of Powell's involvement and it's a film with a lot of nominations where the costume design is a selling point.

Makeup and Hairstyling
Will Win: The Revenant
Should Win: Mad Max: Fury Road

2 out of 3, missing The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared. Another tough category to call. I went with The Revenant on the strength of Leo's wound makeup.

Original Score
Will Win: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Should Win: Sicario

4 out of 5, missing Carol (noticing a theme here?).

Original Song
Will Win: "'Til It Happens To You"
Should Win: "Earned It"

5 out of 5, since you can just listen to the songs. In a classless move, the two songs not sung by major pop stars have been banished from the ceremony, also effectively narrowing down who people think can actually win. Lady Gaga's song seems the probable winner, being about a serious topic in a respectable documentary, whereas The Weeknd's song is in Fifty Shades of Grey, and I expect that it will be difficult for a song from that film to muster a winning margin.

Sound Editing

5 out of 5.

Sound Mixing

5 out of 5. The sounds categories inspire annual "what's the difference between them?" queries, much like the Song of the Year and Record of the Year categories at the Grammys. Voters will distinguish between them (musicals are a virtual certainty to win Mixing), but Mad Max is the sort of technical triumph that seems a strong bet to win both.

Visual Effects

5 out of 5. Ex Machina's nomination here for its low-budget, high-quality CGI is one of my favourite nominations in recent years, but Mad Max's flawless blend of practical effects, stunt work, and CGI takes my personal prize. A lot of people are predicting that Star Wars: The Force Awakens will win and break the four decade trend that no film with a Best Picture nomination has ever lost it to a film without one, but I'm betting that record holds, much like it did with both of the recent Planet of the Apes films.

Foreign Language Film
Will Win: Son of Saul
Should Win: Mustang

2 out of 5, missing the three films not listed above (Theeb was actually in theatres here for two days, but I neglected to go see it).

Animated Film
Will & Should Win: Inside Out

1 of 5, missing all but the film listed above. Given how I feel about Pixar at its best, seeing the rest probably wouldn't affect my vote.

Documentary
Will Win: Amy
Should Win: Cartel Land

5 for 5 (a personal best for my in this category, and I managed it before the ceremony too).

Gonna take a complete stab in the dark at predictions:

Best Picture
"Spotlight"

Best Director
Alejandro González Iñárritu, "The Revenant"

Best Actor
Michael Fassbender, "Steve Jobs"

Best Actress
Brie Larson, "Room"

Best Supporting Actor

Best Supporting Actress
Alicia Vikander, "The Danish Girl"

Best Original Screenplay
"Bridge of Spies"

Best Adapted Screenplay
"The Big Short"

Best Foreign Film
"Son of Saul"

Best Documentary Feature
"Amy"

Best Animated Feature
"Inside Out"

Best Film Editing

Best Original Score

Best Visual Effects
"Mad Max: Fury Road" – Andrew Jackson, Dan Oliver, Andy Williams, and Tom Wood

Best Cinematography
"The Revenant"

Best Costume Design
"Cinderella"

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Best Production Design

Best Sound Editing

Best Sound Mixing

Best Short Film, Animated
"World of Tomorrow"

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is it possible to stream this online without a cable subscription?

Sort of. None of these solutions is as easy as borrowing a friend's subscription. Honestly when the NFL is available to stream in the US, then it's over for cable. Basically they're now a barrier to watching content instead of a vehicle.

Comcast and its monopoly chums are building roadblocks on the internet superhighway, and throttling all the traffic that tries to take surface streets.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/28/1...-stream-time-watch-online-88th-academy-awards

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
By the way, re: Best Animated Feature

I think Inside Out is a totally great film and one of Pixar's best in ages.

That being said, I'm just sick and tired of the Academy defaulting to big hit Pixar/Disney/Dreamworks pics for this category and the controversy from last year just further rustles my jimmies.

Inside Out probably deserves it this year (haven't seen Anomalisa or Marnie yet though), but fuck me, I am still salty about the previous two snubs because of these shenanigans.

Best thing to come out of this whole thing has been the Leo Oscar Chase game. He furrows his brow and speaks really intensely, because thats dramatic acting.

enhanced-6859-1455637192-1.jpg

I'm gonna pretend this Oscar win is for his best, most effortlessly charming role in Catch Me If You Can

"My name is Allen, Barry Allen..."

I think he's real good in the Depahhhted too; does the angry youthful looking guy trying to be a fucking grown up badass really well, some really electric moments in that.

And he gets to fondle Vera Farmiga's ass.

What a job.

Timeaisis

Best thing to come out of this whole thing has been the Leo Oscar Chase game. He furrows his brow and speaks really intensely, because thats dramatic acting.

enhanced-6859-1455637192-1.jpg

I'm gonna pretend this Oscar win is for his best, most effortlessly charming role in Catch Me If You Can

"My name is Allen, Barry Allen..."

Does he spit a lot? That's important, too. And regarding Catch Me If You Can, I've been pretending he was nominated for that and got snubbed for years.

Best Picture
The Big Short

Director
Alejandro G. Inarritu

Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio

Actress
Brie Larson

Supporting Actor
Mark Ruffalo

Supporting Actress
Alicia Vikander

Original Screenplay
Spotlight

Adapted Screenplay
The Big Short

Animation
Inside Out

Foreign Language
Son of Saul

Documentary
The Look of Silence

Short Documentary
Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah

Short Movie
Stutterer

Short Animation
Bear Story

Original Score
The Hateful Eight

Original Song
The Hunting Ground

Sound Editing
Mad Max: Fury Road

Sound Mixing
The Revenant

Production Design
The Revenant

Cinematography
The Revenant

Makeup
The Revenant

Costume Design
Carol

Editing
The Big Short

Visual Effects
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

-------------

The Revenant was my favorite movie in "Best Picture" category, but I think The Big Short or Spotlight will win this.

Since my 2 favorite movies by far this year, Mad Max and Room, have pretty much 0 chance to win it all, my only expectation this year is for the Academy to not rob my main man Sly or Brie Larson. That's it. Just don't get it wrong with these 2 and you're free to give that bald shit to that overrated Revenant flick.

Which of course means that Mark Rylance and Jennifer Lawrence are winning it.

I've never cared much for the Academy Awards, but I'm interested this time around because I want to see how bad it gets roasted.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Won't make a wall of text but put down some predictions here.
Basically The Revenant will clean up and hopefully so will Mad Max. Was also really impressed with Brie Larson in Room and hope she gets her deserved win.

Nibel

Revenant will take the biggest slices of the cake, Mad Max will get some acknowledgment for tech/costume stuff and the rest will be random.

Cruel world

MIMIC

Banned
I still haven't seen "Mad Max," "Brooklyn", or "Bridge of Spies." Saw "Big Short" last night. Damn, that was an extremely good movie....and I learned so much, too! lol

mreddie

My picks:

Best Picture
"The Big Short"

Best Director
Adam McKay, "The Big Short"

Best Actor
Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Revenant"

Best Actress
Brie Larson, "Room"

Best Supporting Actor

Best Supporting Actress
Rachel McAdams, "Spotlight"

Best Original Screenplay
"Straight Outta Compton"

Best Adapted Screenplay
"Room"

Best Animated Feature
"Inside Out"

Best Original Song
“Earned It,” Fifty Shades of Grey

Best Original Score

Best Visual Effects
"Ex Machina"

Oersted

This guy is a parasite and the fact he has done nothing since that role is proof. Nobody likes him in Hollywood, why would they vote for him.

If you are telling that Oscars are popularity test, thanks, I know. But in this context its besides the point, so please spare me.

JTripper

My predictions

Best Picture: The Revenant

Director: Alejandro Inarritu

Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio

Actress: Brie Larson

Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone

Supporting Actress: Alicia Vikander

Foreign Film: Son of Saul

Documentary: Amy

Original Screenplay: Spotlight

Adapted Screenplay: The Big Short

Animated Feature: Inside Out

Original Song: Writings on the Wall by Sam Smith

Original Score: Ennio Morricone for The Hateful Eight

Visual Effects: Mad Max: Fury Road

Cinematography: The Revenant

I saw The Big Short recently and thought it was really bland but it did some fun things as a book-to-screen adaptation, so I think it'll win adapted screenplay. I'll be genuinely surprised/confused if it wins Best Picture. It won't be Spotlight either since it's not very visually exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom