• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I slacked big time in catching the BP nominees. Watched Brookyn last night and Bridge of Spies right now.

I think the field is quite a bit weaker than last year. I think Grand Budapest Hotel would have a good shot at winning this year and it was my 3rd or 4th favorite last year. I am glad that Mad Max got the nom, but I thought Ex Machina was better than most of the nominees.

Happy for Leo though. And I did enjoy Revenant. Just didn't think it was the best movie of the year.

Blobbers

Best thing to come out of this whole thing has been the Leo Oscar Chase game. He furrows his brow and speaks really intensely, because thats dramatic acting.

enhanced-6859-1455637192-1.jpg

I'm gonna pretend this Oscar win is for his best, most effortlessly charming role in Catch Me If You Can

"My name is Allen, Barry Allen..."

The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street-quotes-2.gif

man I hope When Marnie was there gets the best animation prize but I guess pixar can win with anything they put out. Marnie was such a great film with astonishing visuals and a heart touching story. Given that its Ghiblis last film and Yonebasa is such a talented guy that needs some credit I wish they would consider marnie but I guess there is zero chance. In Inside out a lot of things felt forced as hell and the story wasnt interesting at all (except for maybe bingbong). i would have even preferred good dinosaur just for the visuals.

Montresor

Makes me really upset to think how badly Hateful Eight was snubbed. It needed nominations for best picture, best director, best screenplay, and best actor (Sam Jackson).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Going to watch for Chris Rock, have a feeling we're going to see some good rants.

Hoping for a Best Actor twist. Leo doesn't deserve it.

CcRYVRCUcAElGN4.jpg

Ashes

Banned
Are you going to ask this of everyone that liked a film you didn't?

I really liked Brooklyn though.

edit: What's everybody hating for? Quality films are bad now? I'm not getting what's bad about saying a film is worth studying?

What exactly did Inarritu do on this film that was worthy of winning the best director of the year

Had a really troubled production and was super hard to shoot (temperatures weren't faked, a good chunk of the staff quit, etc.) A few crazy practical effects
like the avalanche

GavinUK86

Only films from Best Picture I haven't seen is Room and The Big Short. I don't think they'll win anyway. I think The Revenant has it in the bag, even though it's not my favourite from that list.

JTripper

I didn't see The Danish Girl but if Alicia Vikander wins I'll make believe it's for Ex Machina.

You guys hate on this dude like he's tom hooper

Jokes aside, the hate for Inarritu is so unwarranted it's ridiculous. The Revenant is a pretty good film that's visually impressive and I actually really like Birdman.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I didn't see The Danish Girl but if Alicia Vikander wins I'll make believe it's for Ex Machina.
Shit, you just reminded me that Straight Outta Compton & Ex Machina are against each other for Best Original Screenplay. I'd be fine with either one winning though.

Vikander was dope in The Danish Girl.

Inarritu hates has a lot to do with his personality, at least for me, and his movies don't make up for it. Revenant is fine.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Shit, you just reminded me that Straight Outta Compton & Ex Machina are against each other for Best Original Screenplay. I'd be fine with either one winning though.

I enjoyed Spotlight more out of any of the Best Original Screenplay nominees but I agree, if Staight Outta Compton or Ex Machina win then I can't be mad, both great pieces of work.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Inarritu is the ultimate style no substance director but with the gall to claim its substance

Fuck him

I don't know if I would go that far personally, but I wasn't overly impressed with The Revenant. It was ambitious but after seeing Creed and Spotlight, it wasn't even in my head for Best Picture anymore. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a fine film. But Leo has given better performances. I was more impressed with Hardy in that one. And a lot of the elements they added to the story just didn't connect for me.

Birdman was my shit though. Comes up right behind Whiplash as my favorite film of 2014.

lol at that gif Forester, good shit.

Prob the first academy awards I'll watch since I was in grade school. Too good to pass up with all the controversy. Mostly in for how Rock will handle it.

I like Inarritu cuz he's inspiring other Latinos which is something Robert Rodriguez used to do in his heyday. You don't have to like his movies but I hate when people dismiss him as some Oscar bait filmmaker as if he is just some hack.

Mr. Tibbs

I know it won't happen, but I would be ecstatic if George Miller won best director. At the start of 2015, I don't think anyone would have predicated to see the forth Mad Max film up for Oscar consideration. However, these award shows are never solely about merit; they're about honoring and furthering careers, more than evaluating work.

I would be happy for either Charlotte Rampling for her haunting performance in 45 Years or the amazing, and likely winner, Brie Larson picking up best actress for Room. I don't care about the best actor category, but it'll be a career Oscar for Leo. Best supporting will be Stallone, which is fine by me since I loved Creed. Supporting Actress, I want it go to Rooney Mara but that's a bit of a long shot.

It would be amazing if John Seale or Roger Deakins won best cinematography. Margaret Sixel has to win for best editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom