• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

innaritu is like a parody of a genius filmmaker

we almost died in the cold and wild to make this film. we risk it all for our arrrrttttt. it's just that important to bring u this.

it's also very spiritual because there's a shot of leo walking towards a church in a dream. i am basically malick. the church is empty and ruined. this is symbolism. what if life is just empty except punctuated by violence and only quasi religious visions can give you consolation. wow fucking genius guys.

if you want to show the human condition u don't show characters you just show loads and loads of violence and suffering. on repeat. for 2 and a half hours. don't develop any ideas. leo crawling symbolizes man's struggle. that is what it means to be an artist btw (for more on how being an artist is the most difficult thing in the world plz watch 'birdman or some insufferable title about normal ppl being idiots')

show man vs nature. because it's like moby dick. i don't know what it means but it's man vs nature. like a serious novel. do you get it. it very important message.

also manliness. so much manliness. to be a man is to fight. i am a man.

absolute cunt. please stop making films. please make him go away.

ValidMeekGull.gif

tbh I feel this way about most of the usuals that are nominated. They're out to make films that they feel like will be nominated for stuff going by historical logic. Why do you think David Russell and Lawrence and Bale always have something every year it seems like. It's fucking clockwork. That's not to say I dont think they're talented but it's so damned transparent and boring.

Nibel

we almost died in the cold and wild to make this film. we risk it all for our arrrrttttt. it's just that important to bring u this.

it's also very spiritual because there's a shot of leo walking towards a church in a dream. i am basically malick. the church is empty and ruined. this is symbolism. what if life is just empty except punctuated by violence and only quasi religious visions can give you consolation. wow fucking genius guys.

if you want to show the human condition u don't show characters you just show loads and loads of violence and suffering. on repeat. for 2 and a half hours. don't develop any ideas. leo crawling symbolizes man's struggle. that is what it means to be an artist btw (for more on how being an artist is the most difficult thing in the world plz watch 'birdman or some insufferable title about normal ppl being idiots')

show man vs nature. because it's like moby dick. i don't know what it means but it's man vs nature. like a serious novel. do you get it. it very important message.

osetmdphcs9n.gif

I agree

I wish Cuarón would do something again, he's been pretty quiet for awhile. Maybe something not so...effects driven this time. Will never understand the love for Gravity, shit was vapid af. Less that, more Children of Men and Y Tu Mamá También please. He has expressed interest in doing a project for VR so I'd def be down for that.

incredible post

I'm 17 minutes into the martian and damon is already doing a better job

Were those last sentences really necessary? Who hurt you?

Speevy

Banned

I agree with you. The Revenant should win.

BumRush

Probably. I haven't seen Revenant but going by impressions it's a try-hard from both actor and director.

It's not a leo try hard at all, he just doesn't have that much room to flex his (verbal) acting skills in the film since its more about his internal struggle with what he's going through. I believe he was better in at least two other films, but I don't think "try hard" is accurate here.

It's not a leo try hard at all, he just doesn't have that much room to flex his (verbal) acting skills in the film since its more about his internal struggle with what he's going through. I believe he was better in at least two other films, but I don't think "try hard" is accurate here.

I haven't seen it so you're right that I may not be in the position to criticize; it's just how the whole thing feels to me after looking into reviews and other criticisms.

Pachimari

They are showing 12 Years a Slave before the Oscars starts here in my countries. And I have never seen this movie but of what small tidbits I'm watching, it seems damn interesting.

I should put it on my to watch list for the next week together with Oldboy.

Red Hood

Banned
I can't watch all of it, but when will they approximately announce Best Actor e.g. Leo 4 President? Do they have a fixed format?

I haven't seen it so you're right that I may not be in the position to criticize; it's just how the whole thing feels to me after looking into reviews and other criticisms.

The problem was how they talked up the bison liver eating and him living in those conditions as a side feature of the film, as if that knowledge is supposed to enhance viewer experience. It doesn't really, and that part of the marketing is pretentious, but the film itself is decent imo. Nothing great, but certainly not terrible. Hardy and Lubezki steal the show though, not Leo.

Sean C

I was going to say I was surprised at the Score/Song awards being that late in the ceremony, but I guess they want to leave time for the three live performances of the songs, so the latter could only go toward the end, and they decided to have the music categories handed out as part of the same package.

Hope Leo wins it finally, it's well overdue. Still can't believe he didn't win it for The Wolf of Wall Street.

I agree he should've won it for the Wolf of Wall Street. But I don't think he should win this year and he definitely shouldn't win this year because hes been snubbed previously.

daydream

Banned

jeez, empty, i know you're more level-headed than this. 'the revenant' is just a shallow genre film with some messy motifs. wholly incomparable to birdman which is a film one can at least watch and talk about (regardless of whether one will come to the conclusion that it's good or not). but yeah, the two films are in completely different stratospheres and inarritu as a director wildly inconsistent

Toothless

Time for a rant on why Mad Max: Fury Road should win Best Picture. It's not going to, but film industry politics-wise, it'd be the best choice for the Academy. Last year, the ceremony was VERY anti-blockbuster. Every other joke was making fun of superhero movies and how Hollywood is out of ideas. Very cynical, and naturally, they gave Best Picture to Birdman, a cynical film about how Hollywood is dying that literally no one saw.

The best thing the Academy could do to respond to criticism that they're out of touch is to give Best Picture to Mad Max. It's a fourth installment in a franchise, and it's a sci-fi/action movie. None of these qualifiers have ever won Best Picture. It's also a blockbuster. It'd be the best way to show the Academy isn't snobby and only interested in movies about the art of filmmaking. Plus, it's the second best nominee in that category so the Academy would get it somewhat right.

It's not gonna win though, but it'd be really nice.

Bette MidlerVerified account
‏@BetteMidler
The Oscars are today! You know, the awards show where Leonardo DiCaprio is "overdue" but black people can "wait till next year."

Ooph...really though, I hope Leo wins.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
People talking about The Revenant's production reminds me of the debates we would get into about Boyhood. Are we trying to reward the process or the final product?

I know I'm alone on this one, but I'm cool with Miller for Best Director but not so much Mad Max for Best Picture. I enjoyed it, but obviously not as much as everyone else around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom