• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I wouldn't call ripping the card out of Warren Beatty's hands handling well.
Never work on a set. That wasn't even remotely rude to me. That was just someone being a pro and fixing shit as a fast as humanely possible as the audience laughed like it was a joke.

I disagree with one point, I enjoyed La La Land. Thought it was beautiful and a good, not great film. There is an issue, that in a film about Jazz, a black art form for the most part, the film's main male lead basically white-splains Jazz. Even to the one speaking black character in the movie. There is an issue there.

I don't deny that's a valid criticism and worth discussing, I would argue the movie addressed it when John Legends character tells Gosling he's stuck in the past. Gosling explains Jazz as this ever changing art form but he doesn't actually want it to chane. he likes the traditional stuff and Legend's character is the one that's trying new things and building upon what came before.

But I'll admit the hot takes make me hesitant to criticize a movie I love and that I know has faults when some people want to say it's total shit and move on.

Jazz, much like most modern music, was originated and crafted by us and stolen without giving us credit. It makes sense why people were a tad bit hurt by La La Land and that shit.

In the scene where Sebastian takes Mia to the jazz club to educate her, it's an all black band he is showing her. He mentions the origins in New Orleans. It would just sound redundant and, worse, patronizing if he brought up that it was black people who originated it. It wasn't a history lesson, it was a jazz lesson.

then Affleck with that Denzel speech again. like dude why even do him like that.

lol what exactly did he do there. it wasn't some transparent attempt at gloating or anything. it was the usual "you're a legend bless up etc. etc." thing a lot of winners do. he said the same thing when tom hanks was also nominated against him.

Tom wasn't crying tho. And I'm gonna assume Denzel wasn't crying because he lost or whatever, that would be kinda weird.

It's actually not as big as you'd think.

I just want to say, I'm here for all of you. I understand celebrating in the midst of a mix-up before it's clarified. Just as well, as happy as I am for Moonlight, I have no real skin in the game that is this particular spectacle because I've already written off the Oscars due to how out-of-touch I feel the voting populous generally is. So I won't judge your sore winning too badly. ;)

Damn making a comment about how GAF would react is totally different than being sore winning. Try harder.

KHarvey16

I don't blame anyone on that stage for how they acted. These are all nervous people fueled by adrenaline in a situation they never imagined before they find out they actually just lost. They all get a pass and I don't even feel like that's being generous.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I feel bad for Warren.

Guy must feel like a total ass-hat even though he really had nothing to do with the botch at all.

Cyanity

Banned
Do you really think that he fully understood what was going on and intentionally tried to steal Moonlight's stage time? Again, I've been on a stage like that and it's such an adrenaline rush that your ears start ringing. I really don't think he did anything wrong there. This is a wildly unprecedented situation. This is not something that an Oscar nominee intellectually or emotionally guards themselves for.

Seriously. That adrenaline rush is something else. Your head feels like it's going to explode, your face turns red, your ears LITERALLY start to ring and you feel like something is stuck in your chest preventing you from getting words out properly.

stupei

Do you really think that he fully understood what was going on and intentionally tried to steal Moonlight's stage time? Again, I've been on a stage like that and it's such an adrenaline rush that your ears start ringing. I really don't think he did anything wrong there. This is a wildly unprecedented situation. This is not something that an Oscar nominee intellectually or emotionally guards themselves for.

He literally does not stop talking between his thanks and when he says "we lost by the way." How does he manage that and not already know he lost?

Again, I said it's an emotional moment. I understand that. That doesn't make his response respectful to his peers. It doesn't make him scum or whatever, but it's still not cool.

LionPride

Banned
LLL isn't a retelling of Jazz history.

Its about a guy who's passionate about Jazz.I don't see why a person of any colour can't be passionate about Jazz.

No one is saying they can't. I'm saying in a film with like 6 characters that speak, having a white character basically say "You're doing Jazz wrong" to the one speaking black character in the movie understandably does not sit well with a lot of people.

Jazz, much like most modern music, was originated and crafted by us and stolen without giving us credit. It makes sense why people were a tad bit hurt by La La Land and that shit.

In the scene where Sebastian takes Mia to the jazz club to educate her, it's an all black band he is showing her. He mentions the origins in New Orleans. It would just sound redundant and, worse, patronizing if he brought up that it was black people who originated it. It wasn't a history lesson, it was a jazz lesson.

LionPride would probably prefer black people accrediting themselves like we saw in Jamie Foxx's RAY, but what we did see in LLL, I'm okay with.

Tanis

I'm not calling Horowitz a piece of shit, I think you're confused. Horowitz is the gentleman and hero of the day here. The guy who kept going on and on knowing they didn't win was wasting everyone's time and being a douche.

Sorry that came across wrong, I was agreeing with you. I was trying to say that Horowitz was talking to other people in the background and didn't realise that the other dude wasn't explaining the screw up and instead was making a speech as if LLA had won. When I was watching it live I thought Horowitz was a bit aggressive but I think the reason is the other producer's speech, not the wrong card itself.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't blame Warren Beatty. He actually realized something was wrong and tried to warn everyone. The blame goes to his clueless onstage counterpart for not realizing something was amiss.

You mean legendary actress Faye Dunaway? :p

No one is saying they can't. I'm saying in a film with like 6 characters that speak, having a white character basically say "You're doing Jazz wrong" to the one speaking black character in the movie understandably does not sit well with a lot of people.

to be fair John Legend's song in that movie was trash.

Gosling was right.

He literally does not stop talking between his thanks and when he says "we lost by the way." How does he manage that and not already know he lost?

Again, I said it's an emotional moment. I understand that. That doesn't make his response respectful to his peers. It doesn't make him scum or whatever, but it's still not cool.

Yeah, he absolutely knew.

Senoculum

Seriously. That adrenaline rush is something else. Your head feels like it's going to explode, your face turns red, your ears LITERALLY start to ring and you feel like something is stuck in your chest preventing you from getting words out properly.

Which always impresses me when someone can keep cool as a cucumber. Leo's speech last year was dope. How did he do it man...

overcast

I think the backlash is going to come from Deserving people not even being nominated.

then Affleck with that Denzel speech again. like dude why even do him like that.

Huppert being robbed.

Sing Street getting no nominations in the musical categories is the biggest offender though.
What did Casey do wrong? Didn't see the speech.

Naw dude the stuff you said will absolutely be swept under the rug. Who cares. I don't really care that Carol and Anomalisa didn't get recognized for shit. Sing Street wouldn't have been that much more appreciated if it was nominated for best song and I loved sing Street.

So you would bar people of specific ethnicity from specific art forms because of the colour of their skin? They can't practice this art form or be passionate about it because they are coloured a certain way?

I recognize this probably is a potentially very touchy subject and it would be very difficult to sway your opinion. I just don't think this is a very fair opinion and people have made something out of nothing in regards to the aspects that we are discussing.

Peterthumpa

So, I still don't get it. Both literally read La La Land, how on Earth the envelope was Moonlight then? They got the wrong envelope and the guy from the Oscars' production brought the right one after the whole mess, right?

And if so, what was written anyway? Emma Stone, best actress or something like that?

TheOddOne

animation10msl0.gif

teiresias

He ripped the card out of someone's hand who was standing around wanting to gaze at the damn thing for five more minutes before bothering to say anything to the audience. One was trying to correct the mistake, Beatty and Kimmel were sitting there wanting to stare at a piece of cardboard rather than get on with getting the right winners up on stage. At that point it doesn't matter if it was Beatty's fault, he wasn't being productive in helping the situation get resolved, so Horowitz took action to get shit moving.

It's actually not as big as you'd think.

I just want to say, I'm here for all of you. I understand celebrating in the midst of a mix-up before it's clarified. Just as well, as happy as I am for Moonlight, I have no real skin in the game that is this particular spectacle because I've already written off the Oscars due to how out-of-touch I feel the voting populous generally is. So I won't judge your sore winning too badly. ;)

And even all of the "suck it haters" is just putting down the haters of La La Land and not necessarily fans of Moonlight. Now, if we put together a wall of shame of "fuck La La Land"....

Chumley

Banned

Film industry is a different world entirely, that doesn't even register on the scale in terms of rudeness. The last short film I DP'd on an AC had a mental breakdown after just 3 days, and crew yelling at each other was a regular occurrence.

Producers are almost always cocks though, for what it's worth.

Yes. Berger fully understood what was going on. You can see him processing it. It's not some sort of adrenaline-fueled fugue state. He's visibly disappointed. He knows what's up.

He did something wrong. He was reticent to do it when asked, but then he did it anyway, and he gave up on it as he was doing it. Yes, it's an unprecedented situation. Berger handled it very differently than Horowitz did. Horowitz tried to round up all the statues and get the proper winners onstage to recieve them. Berger denied the microphone once, took it anyway, and started in with his acceptance speech for an award he already knows isn't his to accept anymore.

Zasa

To be fair, I'm not anti-Moonlight, I'm anti-people irrationally hating La La Land. Moonlight was my third favorite film this year. I adored it just a smidgen less than Manchester By The Sea and La La Land, and I'm very happy for it. I liked those two films more, but Moonlight emerged at such an important period of time, and has the potential to be seen as an important film of this era, and perhaps reflect a cultural shift in regards to the treatment and portrayal of racial and sexual minorities.
Same here, I adored Moonlight as well as LLL (HoHW & Manchester behind them). Would've been fine with either winning/sweeping. But then I came to this thread. To my surprise, according to a vocal majority on GAF, it's now apparently some white privilege, singing, shambles of a trash movie that for some weird reason is critically acclaimed.

I just wanted it to win at that point so the hyperbole, & delusion about the movie would tone down

GunBR

So, I still don't get it. Both literally read La La Land, how on Earth the envelope was Moonlight then? They got the wrong envelope and the guy from the Oscars' production brought the right one after the whole mess, right?

And if so, what was written anyway? Emma Stone, best actress or something like that?
Yes. And, looking at the best picture envelope, it was probably written:

Emma Stone
La La Land

(and at the bottom, in smaller letters)
Best actress

I'm sad that Manchester by the Sea never had a shit in this race although it quietly features a very important message in its theme as well. Can't say I'm upset with Moonlight winning, it didn't do much for me but it's obviously a very well done movie and while I loved La La Land I can safely say it obviously wasn't robbed.

The biggest thing I'd hope the academy would take from this fuck up is some sense of humility. Stop making this grandiose shit about celebrating your own asses, there's 0 reason why this show should last for nearly 4 fucking hours. It should be a 90 minute thing, cut to the chase with no nonsense shit. Tonight was downright unwatchable at stretches and the mistake at the end was the cherry in a very shitty shit show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom