• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I think Horowitz was only half listening and assuming the other producer was clearing things up for the audience. You can see he is pretty pissed when he actually tunes in and realises the dude is giving an accepance speech as if La La Land had still won.

I'm not calling Horowitz a piece of shit, I think you're confused. Horowitz is the gentleman and hero of the day here. The guy who kept going on and on knowing they didn't win was wasting everyone's time and being a douche.

He petty as fuck

I disagree with one point, I enjoyed La La Land. Thought it was beautiful and a good, not great film. There is an issue, that in a film about Jazz, a black art form for the most part, the film's main male lead basically white-splains Jazz. Even to the one speaking black character in the movie. There is an issue there.

Art forms don't have a skin colour.

HeelPower

dLOwTYa.jpg

Doubt he cares.Won best director.

Immensely difficult award to get,even more so at his age.

M.W.

Damien has some major fucking whiplash from this. I'm sure he had his fingers in his ears a la Dumb and Dumber going "la la la la la"

It's actually not as big as you'd think.

I just want to say, I'm here for all of you. I understand celebrating in the midst of a mix-up before it's clarified. Just as well, as happy as I am for Moonlight, I have no real skin in the game that is this particular spectacle because I've already written off the Oscars due to how out-of-touch I feel the voting populous generally is. So I won't judge your sore winning too badly. ;)

Omg is all that real?

I think Horowitz was only half listening and assuming the other producer was clearing things up for the audience. You can see he is pretty pissed when he actually tunes in and realises the dude is giving an accepance speech as if La La Land had still won.

Yeah, that's how it looked to me, too. Horowitz looks like he's trying to round up his crew (and the statues) so they can be turned over to the rightful winners. And then he realizes Berger is basically still reading off thank yous while holding a statue that isn't his anymore.

At which point he's like "No. No, this is wrong."

Somebody is seriously getting fired for this, I mean it is quite the huge fuck up if you think about it, it made a fool of two old Hollywood legends (Beatty and Dunaway, not only it made them look stupid, also made them look guilty of the mess.)

Add to that humiliating the entire cast and crew of La La Land, going up on stage, taking statues that don't even belong to them, getting all worked up to give a speech, only to be told to hand back the statues and get off the stage, yeah... There's goign to be a lot of yelling and complaining back stage by these producers who feel super humiliated... Someone is goign to take a fall for this so their egos can be curbed.

Chumley

Banned
I like you.

Seriously, though, Double A starred in two of my top 5 films of the year. Moonlight winning washes away some of the salt over her not being recognized for a brilliant 2016 but it's still a fucking travesty.

Adams and Silence getting shafted are my biggest upsets. I especially can't comprehend what happened with Silence since it's a Scorcese joint and one of his most passionate, if not most passionate, films he's ever made.

Tagyhag

I'd love to know what happened. How exactly did that envelope go from Leo's hands to Warren's and how whoever the briefcase handler was on that side of the stage allowed the switch to take place.

Damerman

He might have been extremely confused, operating on adrenaline from thinking he won. I'm guessing it's not exactly easy to process what is happening around you during a moment like that, with your focus entirely on getting in your thank yous and what not. The 'you guys didn't win' portion might have not sunk in until he realized the ruckus behind him. I seriously doubt he decided to fuck around on stage for a bit of fun.
Thats bullshit. The other producer addressed the situation quickly and professionally. Both producers heard that they weren't the winners.

Quick

Banned
I'd love to know what happened. How exactly did that envelope go from Leo's hands to Warren's and how whoever the briefcase handler was on that side of the stage allowed the switch to take place.

There's two sets of envelopes, and he must have taken/been given the backup one for Best Actress.

Senoculum

To play devil's advocate, he is shaking his head and appears to say "no. no." while we hear someone say "keep going".

Yes. People are mixing things up; there were three people who spoke, and the first guy (with hair) egged the third to go on.

Everyone handled it fine. It's fine. No one's an asshole; it was an unprecedented situation.

I don't blame Warren Beatty. He actually realized something was wrong and tried to warn everyone. The blame goes to his clueless onstage counterpart for not realizing something was amiss.

Nah, it's really not okay. They're taking up more time that belongs to the actual winner, adding to the confusion, and leading into the announcement of the real winner in a bitter and petty way. I get that he must have felt emotional, but it comes across as very gross and disrespectful to his peers, unlike Horowitz.

Do you really think that he fully understood what was going on and intentionally tried to steal Moonlight's stage time? Again, I've been on a stage like that and it's such an adrenaline rush that your ears start ringing. I really don't think he did anything wrong there. This is a wildly unprecedented situation. This is not something that an Oscar nominee intellectually or emotionally guards themselves for.

The One and Done™;231099917 said:
There are people who think LLL is shit? That's flat out untrue.

No, there are. There are people that think it's flat-out bad. But there are also (like myself) who think it's actually quite good, but that it wasn't deserving of all the nominations that it got. A lot of time these two groups are lumped together.

There are certain awards that I think LLL deserved to win (best original song, production design), categories that I think it'd be fine to win although maybe not the only/best option, and then categories it flat out didn't deserve to win at all (best original screenplay). I think many people probably feel similarly and - depending on the category - were either happy with the win or thought it was complete bullshit.

But the quoter is right about how black and white a lot of people treat the Oscars. In the case of LLL vs. Moonlight I think, for many, it comes down to a film that's viewed as reinforcing the straight, white male dominion of Hollywood vs. a film that's done by outsiders who usually have less light shone on their own stories. I don't know that the directors personally feel that way - at least as far as this "me vs. him" sort of opposition - but it's definitely easy to frame it no differently than a Superbowl game.

overcast

The One and Done™;231099917 said:
There are people who think LLL is shit? That's flat out untrue.
It comes with the oscars man. Emotions get swept up. It'll blow over in a week. Every best picture favorite/winner deals with this. Sometimes it's relatively true, in the case of la la land it is not imo.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Wow what a piece of shit. The producer who corrected everyone was Horowitz right? He handled it really, really well.

I wouldn't call ripping the card out of Warren Beatty's hands handling well.

Moppeh

Banned
It's actually not as big as you'd think.

I just want to say, I'm here for all of you. I understand celebrating in the midst of a mix-up before it's clarified. Just as well, as happy as I am for Moonlight, I have no real skin in the game that is this particular spectacle because I've already written off the Oscars due to how out-of-touch I feel the voting populous generally is. So I won't judge your sore winning too badly. ;)

To be fair, I'm not anti-Moonlight, I'm anti-people irrationally hating La La Land. Moonlight was my third favorite film this year. I adored it just a smidgen less than Manchester By The Sea and La La Land, and I'm very happy for it. I liked those two films more, but Moonlight emerged at such an important period of time, and has the potential to be seen as an important film of this era, and perhaps reflect a cultural shift in regards to the treatment and portrayal of racial and sexual minorities.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Thats bullshit. The other producer addressed the situation quickly and professionally. Both producers heard that they weren't the winners.
Yeah I hadn't seen the full portion of them being informed. I take it back, dude was in the wrong. Was way less chaotic than i assumed. He was prodded to go take the mic but he was totally aware.

kevin1025

Banned
Adams and Silence getting shafted are my biggest upsets. I especially can't comprehend what happened with Silence since it's a Scorcese joint and one of his most passionate, if not most passionate, films he's ever made.

I said it in the Movies You've Watched Recently thread, it's like they went A-M and then stopped, leaving Nocturnal Animals and Silence off.

TheFlow

Banned
It comes with the oscars man. Emotions get swept up. It'll blow over in a week. Every best picture favorite/winner deals with this. Sometimes it's relatively true, in the case of la la land it is not imo.

I think the backlash is going to come from Deserving people not even being nominated.

then Affleck with that Denzel speech again. like dude why even do him like that.

Huppert being robbed.

Sing Street getting no nominations in the musical categories is the biggest offender though.

traveler

Not Wario
Nah, it's really not okay. They're taking up more time that belongs to the actual winner, adding to the confusion, and leading into the announcement of the real winner in a bitter and petty way. I get that he must have felt emotional, but it comes across as very gross and disrespectful to his peers, unlike Horowitz.

Watch this again:

https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/836085115981746176

He backs away from the mic; he isn't even going to give the speech, then he's told to just go for it anyways, while the Oscars staff is still walking through the group explaning things.

He didn't handle it perfectly at all, but he is not a "piece of shit" for this, christ.

HeelPower

Jazz, much like most modern music, was originated and crafted by us and stolen without giving us credit. It makes sense why people were a tad bit hurt by La La Land and that shit.

LLL isn't a retelling of Jazz history.

Its about a guy who's passionate about Jazz.I don't see why a person of any colour can't be passionate about Jazz.

Nepenthe

To be fair, I'm not anti-Moonlight, I'm anti-people irrationally hating La La Land. Moonlight was my third favorite film this year. I adored it just a smidgen less than Manchester By The Sea and La La Land, and I'm very happy for it. I liked those two films more, but Moonlight emerged at such an important period of time, and has the potential to be seen as an important film of this era, and perhaps reflect a cultural shift in regards to the treatment and portrayal of racial and sexual minorities.

=P No need to explain yourself. I honestly was just pulling out the people who mentioned either "salt" or "haters." Again, I had no real skin in the game. I wasn't even watching the show, but it still does this little black woman some good to know that a movie prominently featuring LGBT black people took Best Picture from a more traditionally Hollywood "white film," even if it's good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom