• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you imagine if it had been the opposite?

Oh it would have been excellent. Hacksaw Ridge should have been announced as the 2nd and official winner for maximum fuckery. A pissed LLL & Moonlight crew and Mel fucking Gibson all on stage. That would have been magnificent.

Seesaw15

dLOwTYa.jpg

droggg

Glad Moonlight won as it was the most deserving, but the La La Land backlash continues to annoy me as it seems like enough of, obviously not all, of the people shitting on it never wanted to like it in first place. If you legitimately think it's "white people save Jazz", fascist, or it has autotuned (!?) objectivly bad music; you never wanted to like this movie.

I think LLL is a great fucking movie it is charming as hell and one of the best shot films I've ever seen. That said, it has plenty of valid criticisms. But in the world of Twitter and hot takes on the internet, everything is black and white: "the thing I like is the best thing ever and the thing I don't is hot dog shit and you're a stupid idiot for liking it."

You can like more than one thing, Moonlight and La La Land are my two favorite movies this year and for totally different reasons, and since the Golden Globes I thought Moonlight had a real good chance of winning, because of how great it was and due it's message in the current political climate. It's the more important movie. But premptivly everyone shit on how out of touch the Academy would be, when in actuality they are probably the most liberal group of 6000 people you can find in America. Obviously, there is still huge diversity problems in Hollywood, just annoying how cynical people are today. Maybe it's hard to be optimistic the way the country is currently.

Anyway, sucks that this ended in a snafu, Moonlight deserved its name to be read and for the crowd to errupt, and LLL didn't deserve to have to walk off the stage awkwardly.

There is a wrestling metaphore to be made here about bad twist endings

Nailed it.

I was just thinking that even though this was a bad screw-up, it would have been so much worse if it had happened in a single-winner category. Like "Oops, sorry to interrupt you Emma but Isabelle actually won."

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
He's taking the opportunity to thank those meaningful to him while he has the spotlight; not trying to pool the wool over everyone's eyes. Hardly disgusting.

ya but he also knew he lost, I get he wants to thank his parents etc but he gave an acceptance speech when he knew he lost then admitted it after his speech

teiresias

Ok serious talk now: help me understand Oscar logic. Why does a movie with 6 Oscars looses to a movie that won just one? How does that work? Same shit they pulled last year when Spotlight with 1 beat Mad Max' and The Revenant which won 5 and 3 respectively.

What's the logic behind this?

Each category is voted on individually and certain categories (I believe) are restricted to certain categories of production staff, so mathematically there is no reason BP winner has to be the one with the most wins.

Wow. Being in the situation that he was in and going on to defuse it, and he's a POS? This is nonsense. If you knew him you'd be patting him on the back. Jeez

Nepenthe

So many posts shitting on moonlight/moonlight fans right after LLL's fake win. Is a wall of shame even possible?

It's actually not as big as you'd think.

Let the salt flow through you

The Gaf Salt

Bring the salt!

YES! Suck it, haters.

Suck it, haters.

Screw the haters! La La Land is amazing!

hahahaha the salt

We're gonna need a bigger boat for all this salt

Salt is delicious.

Haha, suck it haters. La La Land deserved that shit.

I just want to say, I'm here for all of you. I understand celebrating in the midst of a mix-up before it's clarified. Just as well, as happy as I am for Moonlight, I have no real skin in the game that is this particular spectacle because I've already written off the Oscars due to how out-of-touch I feel the voting populous generally is. So I won't judge your sore winning too badly. ;)

Zasa

Glad Moonlight won as it was the most deserving, but the La La Land backlash continues to annoy me as it seems like enough of, obviously not all, of the people shitting on it never wanted to like it in first place. If you legitimately think it's "white people save Jazz", fascist, or it has autotuned (!?) objectivly bad music; you never wanted to like this movie.

I think LLL is a great fucking movie it is charming as hell and one of the best shot films I've ever seen. That said, it has plenty of valid criticisms. But in the world of Twitter and hot takes on the internet, everything is black and white: "the thing I like is the best thing ever and the thing I don't is hot dog shit and you're a stupid idiot for liking it."

You can like more than one thing, Moonlight and La La Land are my two favorite movies this year and for totally different reasons, and since the Golden Globes I thought Moonlight had a real good chance of winning, because of how great it was and due it's message in the current political climate. It's the more important movie. But premptivly everyone shit on how out of touch the Academy would be, when in actuality they are probably the most liberal group of 6000 people you can find in America. Obviously, there is still huge diversity problems in Hollywood, just annoying how cynical people are today. Maybe it's hard to be optimistic the way the country is currently.

Anyway, sucks that this ended in a snafu, Moonlight deserved its name to be read and for the crowd to errupt, and LLL didn't deserve to have to walk off the stage awkwardly.

There is a wrestling metaphore to be made here about bad twist endings
Great post, & very eloquently put, couldn't agree more. Pity people can't appreciate both works of art.

They were informed that Moonlight won while the first guy was giving his speech. The second guy went on to give his speech knowing that they lost, probably because he wanted to thank his parents or some shit and it was his only chance.

That guy is shady af.

Watch it again. The second guy clearly knew what was happening as he went up, and even says "btw we lost" at the end of his speech: https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/836085115981746176

'we lost btw' yeah that was shitty to stay up there thanking folks and shit

stupei

He's taking the opportunity to thank those meaningful to him while he has the spotlight; not trying to pool the wool over everyone's eyes. Hardly disgusting.

Nah, it's really not okay. They're taking up more time that belongs to the actual winner, adding to the confusion, and leading into the announcement of the real winner in a bitter and petty way. I get that he must have felt emotional, but it comes across as very gross and disrespectful to his peers, unlike Horowitz.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Do the double toasted guys cover the oscars? :3

cyba89

I was just thinking that even though this was a bad screw-up, it would have been so much worse if it had happened in a single-winner category. Like "Oops, sorry to interrupt you Emma but Isabelle actually won."

Imagine how the internet would've exploded if this happened with Leo last year.

Laieon

The One and Done™;231099917 said:
There are people who think LLL is shit? That's flat out untrue.

A very large portion of GAF apparently does. For me personally, the only movie I saw in 2016 that was better than La La Land was the Wailing.

They were informed that Moonlight won while the first guy was giving his speech. The second guy went on to give his speech knowing that they lost, probably because he wanted to thank his parents or some shit and it was his only chance.

That guy is shady af.

Watch it again. The second guy clearly knew what was happening as he went up, and even says "btw we lost" at the end of his speech: https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/836085115981746176

To play devil's advocate, he is shaking his head and appears to say "no. no." while we hear someone say "keep going".

Tanis

I'm not talking about the retort. If he knew they didn't win, he should not have continued with the speech. It's improper. They should have stopped and just corrected it immediately.

I think Horowitz was only half listening and assuming the other producer was clearing things up for the audience. You can see he is pretty pissed when he actually tunes in and realises the dude is giving an accepance speech as if La La Land had still won.

Icolin

Banned
Great post. I just hate this "It's either perfect in all ways or absolute dogshit" thing.

I mean, just look at this stuff here and here and here. While you can have your opinions on movies, this sort of stuff, and the "SUCK IT LA LA LAND FANS" stuff is just dumb. Why can't we like what we like or congratulate what wins without shitting on the things other people like that we don't like or the things that lose?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Wow. Being in the situation that he was in and going on to defuse it, and he's a POS? This is nonsense. If you knew him you'd be patting him on the back. Jeez

you do realise the guy who gave the speech, and the guy who called it how it was that moonlight won were two different people right...?

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I'm not talking about the retort. If he knew they didn't win, he should not have continued with the speech. It's improper. They should have stopped and just corrected it immediately.
He might have been extremely confused, operating on adrenaline from thinking he won. I'm guessing it's not exactly easy to process what is happening around you during a moment like that, with your focus entirely on getting in your thank yous and what not. The 'you guys didn't win' portion might have not sunk in until he realized the ruckus behind him. I seriously doubt he decided to fuck around on stage for a bit of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom