• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arttemis

I had no idea Bill Paxton died. I'm crushed. I talked to him for about two minutes at New York Comic Con, and he so happy signed some Aliens memorabilia. He was such a genuinely nice person.

Chumley

Banned
I'll defer to you on those movements, but I would still argue that the hallmark of great cinematography goes beyond the technical challenge and execution. Otherwise the in-car shot in Children of Men, which was also technically difficult, would have warranted a win.

Compared to Birdman, Ida was a very "simply" shot film from a difficulty perspective, but the framing, use of light and shadow, and artistry within every shot was beautiful and frame-worthy time and time again. It was easily a more visually impactful and mesmerizing film to me.

So, I'll concede that The Revenant was maybe revolutionary in the context you describe (again, I'm not a DP), but while I appreciate the creativity involved (for many of the same reasons you list), it just didn't have the same affect on me.

Bladerunner still remains the best looking film I've ever seen, personally. But maybe that suits my aesthetic more.

I actually would have to maybe give the edge to Blade Runner now that you mention it. Rev takes a close second, Apocalypse Now #3.

dickroach

still have the biggest six awards to go (screenplays, leading actors, director, picture) . plus I'm sure there will some more late night fluff.
I'm yawning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom