• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zasa

The hate for La La Land is pretty silly.

People are trying to make it out as another Crash.
Thankfully, this is the last place to go to for genuine, quality movie reviews/critiques. There is a reason the movie made the rounds everywhere else that's relevant. This is the place that puts Arrow & every single Superhero show on top 10 lists each year.

Unless you're a Superhero/Sci-fi/Action film, well then...

duckroll

Thankfully, this is the last place to go to for genuine, quality movie reviews/critiques. There is a reason the movie made the rounds.

Yeah, I'm sure Donald Trump is President for a reason too.

Thankfully, this is the last place to go to for genuine, quality movie reviews/critiques. There is a reason the movie made the rounds.

Give me a break. It's not necessarily hate, but it just doesn't deserve the best pic. It was a fine, good, decent movie. Not the best picture.

I'd go into detail about it if I wasn't on mobile, but in Rev he pulls off camera moves that have literally never been done before in natural locations. Not just a work of technical genius, but creative genius (breath on the lens, integration of cgi, etc). Maybe the average viewer doesn't notice it all but I'm a dp and it's easily the best looking film I've ever seen.

I'll defer to you on those movements, but I would still argue that the hallmark of great cinematography goes beyond the technical challenge and execution. Otherwise the in-car shot in Children of Men, which was also technically difficult, would have warranted a win.

Compared to Birdman, Ida was a very "simply" shot film from a difficulty perspective, but the framing, use of light and shadow, and artistry within every shot was beautiful and frame-worthy time and time again. It was easily a more visually impactful and mesmerizing film to me.

So, I'll concede that The Revenant was maybe revolutionary in the context you describe (again, I'm not a DP), but while I appreciate the creativity involved (for many of the same reasons you list), it just didn't have the same affect on me.

Bladerunner still remains the best looking film I've ever seen, personally. But maybe that suits my aesthetic more.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
JL9DBcd.gif

Senoculum

There are two audiences for La La Land; those who watched it early before it was popular; and those who watched it because everyone told them to.

An audiences divided...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom