• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The All-Encompassing Competitive Pokemon Thread (Tournament April 23rd)

Sixfortyfive said:
Updated the OP again. I don't intend to put full gym leader profiles up until that person has a full team ready, so make sure to notify me when yours is ready or if I've forgotten to put you in the OP.

Yeah. You would have your gym team and a separate challenger team to use against other gyms. (Or if you were feeling really ballsy, I guess there's nothing stopping you from using your gym team against everyone else.)

I'd try to keep some stats for competition's sake, like how many leaders/challengers you've beaten and how many attempts it took to do so, so I'd want people to share match results as they happen.

I have a full shoddy battle team. Although, I might change my lead pokemon...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Yeah. You would have your gym team and a separate challenger team to use against other gyms. (Or if you were feeling really ballsy, I guess there's nothing stopping you from using your gym team against everyone else.)

I'd try to keep some stats for competition's sake, like how many leaders/challengers you've beaten and how many attempts it took to do so, so I'd want people to share match results as they happen.

Oh good, I was thinking we couldn't. The prizes some people are offering are making me drool a bit. :p

Challenger
Hatchet Man
Friend Code: 0216-6673-7623 (Platinum)
Team: Machamp, Tyranitar, Flygon, Scizor, Mamoswine, Rotom
Gyms Defeated: Psychic(MemoirsofMimi)

I'd like to call the Rock Ghost Gym. I have exams this week so I don't have a team ready (the early battles will have to be done with Shoddy, starting next week, until I get an in-game team). I'll post more info in a few days.

EDIT: Scratch that. I thought someone had taken Ghost already, but I guess not. I'll use Ghosts instead.

Razer Reds

Neo Member
I'm available for the next half hour to battle anyone who wants to attempt the monotype challenge. My FC is 5199-4615-2065 (HeartGold) and my type is Steel.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Any good places for EV training HP in HGSS?

Edit- Dark Cave + Wobuffet should work.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mush said:
I was going to suggest the Slowpoke Well but that'll work too.

What's in Slowpoke Well? Wobuffet are still kinda uncommon in Dark Cave.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh wow, this is much better. Didn't know they were 100% guaranteed when surfing. :D

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Updated the OP again. As always, let me know if I missed anything.

Take note of how I'm recording match results. In addition to overall win/loss records, I'm going to keep track of how many attempts it takes for each challenger to get each badge. Challengers will be ranked by (1) the most number of gyms defeated and (2) the fewest number of attempts it took to do so. Conversely, Leaders will be ranked by how many retries they force Challengers to take before they lose.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm about halfway done with my team now, thanks to that tip. Should be just a couple days before my gym is fully up and running (I have all my prizes all ready, too.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kyzer said:
Okay I've finally hatched the perfect eggs for my team. Now I just need to get them to lvl 100.

Why? There's an option to auto-level everything to 100 in Wi-Fi battles.

cory

Banned
I resized your avatar Razer Reds.
swbxw3_th.gif

Hatchet Man over Razer Reds
GG Razer

Challenger
Hatchet Man
Gyms Defeated: Psychic(MemoirsofMimi), Steel(Razer Reds)

Kyzer

Banned
Andrex said:
Why? There's an option to auto-level everything to 100 in Wi-Fi battles.

Good point. I guess I don't need to get them to 100, just high enough each to learn all the moves they need. And I still have to EV train them. Oh man. This is gonna be fun...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kyzer said:
Good point. I guess I don't need to get them to 100, just high enough each to learn all the moves they need. And I still have to EV train them. Oh man. This is gonna be fun...

I don't mind all that stuff, in fact I kinda like it. The only part I really don't like is hatching various eggs for the specific nature. Now that HG/SS have made IV breeding easy as pie, nature hatching is my most hated aspect.

Sixfortyfive

OP updated again.

I'll be around for battles on and off for the next few hours.

EDIT: Tallied them all up and it turns out that only 3 types remained unclaimed. Dang.

Sixfortyfive said:
EDIT: Tallied them all up and it turns out that only 3 types remained unclaimed. Dang.
That was fast... So much for the idea of having multiple monotype teams :lol

I got all the pokemon I want for my team(natures, egg moves), now I just need to EV train and level them up to get certain moves.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was halfway done leveling this one Poke for a specific move, then I remembered females don't pass on moves. v.v

You guys were totally right about this being a breeding sim btw. :lol It's kinda hard to quit once you get started...

Edit- Is there any way to guarantee a specific ability if there's two possibilities? I doubt it but it would really suck if I got the right natured one with the wrong ability. :/

Sixfortyfive

Andrex said:
Edit- Is there any way to guarantee a specific ability if there's two possibilities? I doubt it but it would really suck if I got the right natured one with the wrong ability. :/
Nope. 50/50 chance always.

Unless you want me to link those RNG abuse articles again... :3

Andrex said:
I was halfway done leveling this one Poke for a specific move, then I remembered females don't pass on moves. v.v

You guys were totally right about this being a breeding sim btw. :lol It's kinda hard to quit once you get started...

Natures and abilities(if we are talking about pokemon with two abilities) are 50% chances when breeding.

So if you want a certain gender, nature, ability pokemon it's a good idea to breed 6 eggs while you are at it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait, 50% chance of what? Of getting one of the parent's natures/ability? Because I've gotten a full range of natures before...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
The idea of breeding for natures without an everstone just makes me go D:

It's either two IVs or one IV and a nature. Not all of us can do RNG jiggery-pokery. :p

Besides there's 25 natures and 31 IV possibilities. So natures is technically easier.

Sixfortyfive

Andrex said:
It's either two IVs or one IV and a nature. Not all of us can do RNG jiggery-pokery. :p

Besides there's 25 natures and 31 IV possibilities. So natures is technically easier.
Yeah, but even without a Power Item there's about a 1 in 3 chance of passing down IVs from either parent anyway. Not sure of the exact odds, but I know it's a lot better than 1 in 25 you get with natures. And you don't really need 31s in anything but speed to get ideal performance most of the time anyway.

Best way to breed is having an assortment of Dittos to choose from, all of different natures and preferably with high IVs across the board. Slap an Everstone on one and you've got pretty good odds of an ideal nature and decent IVs right off the bat. The Power Item should go on the other parent.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Yeah, but even without a Power Item there's about a 1 in 3 chance of passing down IVs from either parent anyway. Not sure of the exact odds, but I know it's a lot better than 1 in 25 you get with natures. And you don't really need 31s in anything but speed to get ideal performance most of the time anyway.

Best way to breed is having an assortment of Dittos to choose from, all of different natures and preferably with high IVs across the board. Slap an Everstone on one and you've got pretty good odds of an ideal nature and decent IVs right off the bat. The Power Item should go on the other parent.

Ah OK.

And I thought it was only 1/3 on Platinum? HG/SS should definitely pass them down.

Hatchet Man over 645
GG 645

Challenger
Hatchet Man
Gyms Defeated: Psychic(MemoirsofMimi), Steel(Razer Reds), Ice(645)

Hatchet Man over Echoes
GG Echoes

Challenger
Hatchet Man
Gyms Defeated: Psychic(MemoirsofMimi), Steel(Razer Reds), Ice(645), Ground(Echoes)

Top Bottom