• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

JohngPR

I can't remember how the swinging mechanics in Spiderman 2 were because it's been years since I played that game but wasn't it similar to this game? I mean one button for left swing and another for right?

Also how technically incompetent have you got to bee to make a PS4 game look like a mid tier PS3 game, have ridiculous load times and run at 30FPS? Even with the tight schedule considered.

The load times are annoyingly long on the PC as well. I even installed it on my SSD initially and it made no difference in load time speed. I also hated how in the combat challenge, it would boot you back out of the challenges if you lost. So you'd lose, get a load screen back to the comics store, then have to select combat challenge again and wait for that to load. Is it that hard get a retry option there?

In that type of mode you want to get back in the action as quickly as possible and making it so you had to go through two load screens to get back in made it more frustrating than it needed to be.

I can't remember how the swinging mechanics in Spiderman 2 were because it's been years since I played that game but wasn't it similar to this game? I mean one button for left swing and another for right?

No, there were two swinging modes for SM2. Standard, where you swung with the R button and then had to press A to let go of that web in order to swing again. And then Easy, basically the same thing as Standard, only you had to let go of the R button to let go of the web. Easy>Standard.

The mechanics in total were very different back then compared to now. Ever since then it's only been going downhill.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Have you seen Amazing Spider-Man 2 the film?
Yes, spoiler and rant coming up
her death in the movie/story was a underlineing for both films, everything was leading up to it, Harry/Goblin existences was to become spidermans arch enemy because of it, Captain Stacey's presence in the film was a reminder of what was gonna happen( something a lot people ignored or was oblivious too " there was no story" ummm...HELLO?) everything going forward is effected by it and it doesn't even exist in the game hell she doesn't exist in the game, she isn't even mentioned in it.
I could understand if it was set after but Its not
I still enjoyed ASM2 but it could have done with it, this might aswell not even be based on the Movie because theres only 3 things from it, Spider Man, Electro and Goblin, even SM3 kepted loosely to the Story, kinda disappointing.

nOoblet16

No, there were two swinging modes for SM2. Standard, where you swung with the R button and then had to press A to let go of that web in order to swing again. And then Easy, basically the same thing as Standard, only you had to let go of the R button to let go of the web. Easy>Standard.

The mechanics in total were very different back then compared to now. Ever since then it's only been going downhill.
Isn't that the same as ASM2? I am finding it hard to make out the differences.

TGO

Me too, I adjusted to the controls fast and didn't see any difference from SM2 other then the left & right swing

eshwaaz

I can't even bring myself to finish this. I beat the first ASM, collected all 700 comics, and replayed levels just because it was such simple fun. ASM2 is a sloppy chore much of the time; a rushed mess. I'm only a couple missions from the end, but I think I've had it.

TGO

Also how technically incompetent have you got to bee to make a PS4 game look like a mid tier PS3 game, have ridiculous load times and run at 30FPS? Even with the tight schedule considered.
Did you play SM3? pretty much the same thing
ASM2 would look fantastic if it was built for nextgen, sadly it wasn't but I think it does a good job as long as you don't run into npc's, cars, etc........basically keep swinging and don't stop.

I thought even SM2 had the left and right swing thing, I must be wrong here then.
SM2 had zip button

Can anyone help me with the Aerial Break trophy?

I've watched videos on how to do it, but I think because I'm attempting it with my ionic webs maxed that the armour destroys instantly and I can't web strike to destroy it instead.

Melpontro

For anyone who is interested in higher res shadows on the PC version, I've uploaded my cheat engine table for it:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/rwsrfcwpo5ns5ws/Amazing_Spiderman_2.CT
To use, hook Cheat Engine to the game, then open the .ct file. This window should pop up
ibkrPPKdehsDZB.png

Right click on the address and then choose "Replace with code that does nothing"
Then simply change the value of the Shadowmap Resolution in the main Cheat Engine window.

Here are some shots with the shadows at 12k:
http://min.us/mNtucNaVwQhTk

I'll see about trying to do the same in the first Amazing Spider-Man at some point.

atr0cious

I love the swinging. I haven't done a mission in hours, I just swing from one end of the city to the other, occasionally chasing down a flying comicbook page. Webzip is finnicky but does the job, especially to swing from skyscraper to skyscraper. As good as SM2.

I love the swinging. I haven't done a mission in hours, I just swing from one end of the city to the other, occasionally chasing down a flying comicbook page. Webzip is finnicky but does the job, especially to swing from skyscraper to skyscraper. As good as SM2.

Still waiting to pick this game up (not out here in aus yet), loved asm1 so i think i will enjoy this as well. However reading about this hero/menace mechanic i am worried that i can no longer just swing around the city without getting harrassed.

My little boy plays asm2 on ipad for hours just swinging, and im hoping he can do the same here. Can you turn off the hero mechanic or ignore it for awhile ?

atr0cious

Still waiting to pick this game up (not out here in aus yet), loved asm1 so i think i will enjoy this as well. However reading about this hero/menace mechanic i am worried that i can no longer just swing around the city without getting harrassed.

My little boy plays asm2 on ipad for hours just swinging, and im hoping he can do the same here. Can you turn off the hero mechanic or ignore it for awhile ?
They don't introduce the menace meter for a few missions. I'm still early in the story, and I don't know if it's just my game, but the menace meter never fell once I had filled it up by doing the minimum required 3 side quests. And if I failed I either saw little to no punishment. If you just swing around and not really do anything but the occasional sidequest, you really feel like Spiderman. I'm not even mad about the fire ones, they're just hard, especially since I keep forgetting to use my spidey-senses. But no, I don't think you can, just avoid it by not advancing.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I haven't been able to play the PC version for more than 45 minutes at a time. Crashes, getting stuck in geometry, losing video or audio, and a strange controller error that makes the camera and swinging controls freak out.

Pavaloo

Me too, I adjusted to the controls fast and didn't see any difference from SM2 other then the left & right swing

Spider-Man 2's swing system had a real physics and momentum system so you could feel the difference in velocity between swings. In TASM 2 the momentum is all relatively the same so falling from up high and swinging versus swinging from street level isn't much different. S-M2 also had webs wrap around buildings more realistically (i.e. if I swung all the way around a building the web would wrap around it and become shorter with each pass), aerobatic moves you could do mid-air for fun (versus the automated ones that happen with each swing in TASM2), and it had a charge jump and a diving jump which, along with everything else I just mentioned, makes the swinging feel drastically different than this newer game.

Other things from Spider-Man 2 this game is missing:
-Ability to kidnap thugs
-Ability to piledrive said thugs off of the empire state building
-Ability to drop thugs from great heights
-Ability to throw thugs into the river
-Ability to string thugs up by their feet on any light post.
-Ability to attach web to helicopter and ride it all the way to the statue of liberty.

This game is a step back in the right direction though, that's for sure.

Jolkien

Credit goes to playstationtrophies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsAwNbIQR2g

Mission: The Kingpin of Crime!
Shortly after this mission starts you will encounter your very first armored enemy in the game. You will be given a short text tutorial. To disable an enemies armor you have to press Circle repeatedly. Do this until all the yellow heavy armor disappears. To get the trophy you now have to attack with a standard Web-Strike (R1). You don't have to kill the enemy with the Web-Strike.
Please note: you can replay all missions by going back to your home via the open-world Metro. There are several pictures on the bedroom wall that serve as mission select.

TGO

Spider-Man 2's swing system had a real physics and momentum system so you could feel the difference in velocity between swings. In TASM 2 the momentum is all relatively the same so falling from up high and swinging versus swinging from street level isn't much different. S-M2 also had webs wrap around buildings more realistically (i.e. if I swung all the way around a building the web would wrap around it and become shorter with each pass), aerobatic moves you could do mid-air for fun (versus the automated ones that happen with each swing in TASM2), and it had a charge jump and a diving jump which, along with everything else I just mentioned, makes the swinging feel drastically different than this newer game.

Other things from Spider-Man 2 this game is missing:
-Ability to kidnap thugs
-Ability to piledrive said thugs off of the empire state building
-Ability to drop thugs from great heights
-Ability to throw thugs into the river
-Ability to string thugs up by their feet on any light post.
-Ability to attach web to helicopter and ride it all the way to the statue of liberty.

This game is a step back in the right direction though, that's for sure.

Your absolutely right, you just reminded me (piledrive from the highest building, that was fun)
If they got all that and the left and right webbing it would be fantastic, but as I was enjoying the Web swinging in ASM2 I decided to get ASM1......WHAT HAPPENED?
Yeah the swinging is better and the graphics (on PS4 are better then ASM) but the rest of the game? It's like they didn't even bother and removed half the game and just left the free roaming with a few side missions
I would be very happy if ASM2 was just like ASM1 with better swinging and the graphics we got but it's not, it actually better swinging and the rest is worse or none existent!
There was a lot more effort put in ASM the ASM2 that's for sure
Such a shame.

SUPER bummed i never got my DLC code for the costumes :/

Never got it from Gamestop? I'm in Canada and I got my code on the receipt on launch day but it didn't work until the store update.

What's with the costumes not even on the PSN anymore? There were 5 at least, but now none. Really odd. Maybe they flipped the switch too soon for these costumes since they were all pre order DLC from different retailers?

Game wise I've beat the story and am 93% complete all items and 84% complete all trophies. Platinum soon!

I am enjoying it a lot, best swinging since Spider-Man 2. Been replaying all the old ones from PS1 Spider-Man to Web of Shadows.

I was having some trouble with that trophy too, I think the timing is kinda strict.

I had to do it just as the armor broke (so, just shoot 2 or maybe 3 webs, you'll see the armor desintegrate, and then Rush him right away.)

Yeah I finally got it, video makes it seem so simple.

This last comic book is going to haunt me. Done everything else collectibles, challenges, photos, journals etc.

Just one....last...comic book.

Any suggestions? I'm just swinging around, turning on my spider sense, it should come up on the map like the others. Just luck at this point it seems. A needle in a haystack.

Never got it from Gamestop? I'm in Canada and I got my code on the receipt on launch day but it didn't work until the store update.

What's with the costumes not even on the PSN anymore? There were 5 at least, but now none. Really odd. Maybe they flipped the switch too soon for these costumes since they were all pre order DLC from different retailers?

Game wise I've beat the story and am 93% complete all items and 84% complete all trophies. Platinum soon!

I am enjoying it a lot, best swinging since Spider-Man 2. Been replaying all the old ones from PS1 Spider-Man to Web of Shadows.

Never got it, they messed up my order and never shipped the game to me from the store like 2 hours from me, and when i picked it up they never said anytihing about dlc so im guessing they were out by the time i got mine

Never got it, they messed up my order and never shipped the game to me from the store like 2 hours from me, and when i picked it up they never said anytihing about dlc so im guessing they were out by the time i got mine

I would call and complain, I doubt they ran out. My store told me to remind the person at the register because they forget to do it sometimes if they don't know there is DLC, likely what happened to you.

100% complete! That last comic book was a pain.

Just need to max all suits (did about half so far) and I will have my second PS4 Platinum. I don't believe the DLC suits count towards that trophy correct?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The game dropped about 20€ in two weeks for the PS4 Version, I think, 3,4 weeks from now and it will be around 30€

Waiting was the right decision, I think.

I would call and complain, I doubt they ran out. My store told me to remind the person at the register because they forget to do it sometimes if they don't know there is DLC, likely what happened to you.

Im guessing they'll be out by now, or probably wont give me them because it's been awhile now, ill probably just wait and hope for them to release on psn lol

Finally platinum'd this on the PS4 last night and will be trading in the game today, not going to bother with 100% in-game.

It's really mediocre in every respect, the stealth is sloppy; the story is trash (it only exists just so as many villains as possible can be included in the game); the hero-or-menace system is a pain in the ass, I just want to swing around the city in peace, but the game won't let you do that and will send hunter robots after you, set up electrical fences to stop you mid-swing, so you're forced to repeat the same side missions over and over again, watching the same outro for the tenth billion times.

One thing I do love about the game though is the Superior Spider-Man outfit, looks great in the game.

Finally platinum'd this on the PS4 last night and will be trading in the game today, not going to bother with 100% in-game.

It's really mediocre in every respect, the stealth is sloppy; the story is trash (it only exists just so as many villains as possible can be included in the game); the hero-or-menace system is a pain in the ass, I just want to swing around the city in peace, but the game won't let you do that and will send hunter robots after you, set up electrical fences to stop you mid-swing, so you're forced to repeat the same side missions over and over again, watching the same outro for the tenth billion times.

One thing I do love about the game though is the Superior Spider-Man outfit, looks great in the game.

I found that replaying a mission that starts in the open world was the best way to explore without issue. The " Attack on Oscorp" and "No One is Safe!" Missions allowed for exploration without the hero/menace system. Unfortunately no collectibles or side missions are available when you do this, but I just want to swing around and mess around anyways. That what I'm doing now that I'm at 100% in game.

ikariX

Banned
Game isn't that bad. I enjoyed the 1st one and I'm enjoying this on PS4.

But can AV please give Spider-Man to a new developer. Beenox has done what they can and proved they aren't capable of making a great Spider-Man game. Shattered Dimensions is all they made that was phenomenal.

Give the license to another Dev. Please Activision. Spidey is begging you!!

Finished last night . Terrible ending and I was hoping the stupid menace system would turn off at the end so I could just swing around without all the crime bs .

Overall average all the way.

Arsenic13

If I really enjoyed the first game, will I enjoy this game as well?

I enjoyed this one a little more. It felt like a better balanced version of the first game, but with not enough improvements.

--

On another note, anyone know of mods to remove the menace system? I just want to swing around and collect comics.

Top Bottom