• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

Rnr1224

im at about 12 hours and im already close to 100% for the game, only thing left is about 50 comic pages and the oscorp crates. also, does anyone know if the costumes and level transfer over between new games? i still need to beat it on the Super hero difficulty so i wanna know if i have to do a new game on that difficulty or just beat all the missions in super hero.

Just got the platinum.

I figured it's just one more trophy..
Never again!

Took forever. I don't know how you trophy guys do it.

YnP4EEM.jpg

atr0cious

Just got this and am currently at Aunt May's for the first time, and despite the jank, I'm really glad I bought this game. They really nailed Spidey, and I've laughed outloud from his antics multiple times. As a huge Spider-Man fan this is all I needed. The swinging works great most of the time, but trying to do specific moves to certain places(windows, ledges) is difficult if you're not using web zip. I have the Wii U version, and only use off-tv, so you can see the resolution fluctuate, but it's never been distracting just noticable.

MickeyPhree

I can't get the aerial break trophy to work.

Also what's the best way to level up the suits? I've already beat the game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The game is surprisingly good, reminds me of SM2 actually
Complaints
1) I can already tell this isn't very long game story wise
2) likeness and voice actors don't match the movie
3) needs more side missions
4) shame this was built for last gen

So, a decade later no game has been able to match Spiderman 2, right? I haven't tried all of them in the meantime, so if I've somehow missed an amazing classic I'd like to know.

atr0cious

It's so sad this game was rushed, there are points where it genuinely looks decent in motion.

wiiu_screenshot_gamepk8jlr.jpg

That's not one of them and is just a gamepad screen, but the texture work and lighting look so much better in the house or just certain angles in the city. Then you'll hit a vista and Spidey looks like he's got a fur suit on.

This game gets all the little things right.
wiiu_screenshot_gamepc1jpk.jpg

But just like Spidey in this game, they can't seem to stick the landing.

eshwaaz

I cannot dizzy enemies for signature moves consistently. In the previous game, you'd trigger them by getting your combo multiplier to a certain level. Now it's different, but I can't fixture out how it's different. A loading screen tip says to get critical hits by timing button presses with attack impacts, but I still can't get them to work. Anyone?

hbkdx12

So i took the plunge and bought this game due to a little gaming drought im having until my next anticipated game and i really have to say that this is mediocre which is a shame because there are some interesting concepts and design choices that are good and could have elevated the game beyond it's mediocrity

The elephant in the room: The web swinging. It's changed from TASMs "swing from anywhere" mechanic. You don't really see the the webbing stick the building or anything but essentially you have to be within range of a building for it to otherwise look realistic enough that he's using the building to swing. In other words, if you high up in the air above buildings or above water, he won't web-swing. He'll actually make a lil quip about it which gets annoying.

That being said, I kind of hate the new swing mechanic. I'm aware people are very particular about their web swinging and they want it to be realistic but for the sake of the video game and getting around, it presented a constant issue for me. If you want to webswing across town your best bet is to stay street level and if you find yourself above the buildings you're going to have to rely on web rushing to get around. I'm not suggest thing is objectively bad. Just for my tastes, i much prefer the convenience of being able to swing pretty much anyway versus the realism that the game tries to go for.

On to my bigger complaints...

Do not try to wall run straight from a webswing. 9 times out of 10 your going to end up going in a direction you don't want to and not only that but the camera will not be able to keep up and you'll get a headache from all the jack and frustration.

The side missions: The upside is that they're pretty varied and some are kind of enjoyable (car chase & bomb disposal) The downside is all the events on your map, which is about 8 or so at any given moment, work on individual and artificial timers. On paper it's an interesting concept as it plays upon the idea that your work as a superhero is never done and you have to prioritize your responsibility. However, the timers are far too stringent.

You have a binary Menace/Hero status bar. As you complete events the heroic side fills up. As you ignore them and essentially leave civilians in harms way and such, the bar will shift over to Menace.

So, when an event is about to expire the area around the event will pulse red (if your on the complete opposite of the map, it's quite possible that you wouldn't even know it's about to expire as it might not show on your mini map since your so far away) If you ignore the event or don't activate it in time, you will lose some of your heroic status and pushing you closer to menace. This is frustrating for two reasons. 1) the timers are so strict on these events that you will inevitably be forced to missed some of them. Often times, you will have 2 or 3 events that all expire within a few seconds of each other which can take a huge toll on your status bar. 2) the hit that you take to your status bar by missing thse events can be pretty significant. I would say you only need to miss maybe 5 or 6 events before your full heroic status becomes neutral or shifts over to menace. There is a costume you can wear that offsets this to a large degree

Why is having a heroic status important? 2 reasons. 1) Keeping your heroic status up significantly boosts the effects of whatever costume you're wearing and 2) if you're perceived as a menace, there's a task forced that deployed to deal with you which can make getting around the city frustrating. So if your the type to just focus on story missions and save the side stuff for later, you may not have the best time.

For the complexities of being a superhero, it's very interesting to incorporate this sense of urgency and prioritization but it's not as fun in the way it's implemented. It could be fixed with a simple patch to make the timers less strict and make the hit against your status bar less severe if you do miss an event but i doubt that's going to happen

The combat is a poor mans batman. It's passable but my biggest complaint is that it's lack of refinement works against it at times and makes it frustrating. In the arkham games, when you need to counter someone, if you're fast enough, you can strike (without countering) them before they actually attack or even just move out of the way. It's a risk but it's doable and helps play into the strategy and keeps the flow going depending on your style of play. Do not try this in this game. If you see you need to counter someone, you have to counter them. Do not try to hit them, do not try to web them, just counter. Anything less and you will get hit. Additionally, and more frustratingly, enemies cover unrealistic ground with their attacks. I was in a group of enemies, one guys about to hit me, i web rush to another guy that was a good distance away and the guy throws his punch and basically slides over to me because the game said he needed to hit me because i didn't counter it like i was suppose to.

The boss fights in this game are pretty enjoyable. The two best ones come towards the end of the game but for the way the story is told in the game, these bosses are never really introduced or play a role in the story and pretty much just disappear once you beat them. Speaking of story, the ending after beating the final boss is just ridiculously abrupt and offers no real satisfaction to the player.

Overall there are good things to be found in the game:

-Web swinging is fun once your find your groove
-Varied side missions and events
-Boss fights are relatively enjoyable
-Lots of costumes

But it is all clouded by mediocrity where if it wasn't rushed just to be a movie tie in, it could have been really good.

hbkdx12

I cannot dizzy enemies for signature moves consistently. In the previous game, you'd trigger them by getting your combo multiplier to a certain level. Now it's different, but I can't fixture out how it's different. A loading screen tip says to get critical hits by timing button presses with attack impacts, but I still can't get them to work. Anyone?

I had the same problem. I just gave up trying to figure it out after a while

eshwaaz

impressions
Very nice, thorough impressions. Agreed on all points, particularly the web swinging. Though it was certainly brainless auto pilot in the last game, it still made navigating around the city painless and efficient. With the new implementation, it can be a chore, especially with the manufactured urgency of the hero/menace feature.

So many aspects of this game I preferred in the previous game. I keep trying to enjoy this, but always find myself wishing they'd handled certain things differently, or simply left them alone.

Very nice, thorough impressions. Agreed on all points, particularly the web swinging. Though it was certainly brainless auto pilot in the last game, it still made navigating around the city painless and efficient. With the new implementation, it can be a chore, especially with the manufactured urgency of the hero/menace feature.

So many aspects of this game I preferred in the previous game. I keep trying to enjoy this, but always find myself wishing they'd handled certain things differently, or simply left them alone.

I think it's more a problem with Beenox's implementation than an issue with webs touching buildings. In Spider-man 2, when there were no buildings to swing on you just used web-zip (pull both triggers in at once) to pull you in closer to where the buildings are. You didn't have to aim to web-zip like you do in this game. Web-rush is so damn clunky.

atr0cious

The combat is a poor mans batman. It's passable but my biggest complaint is that it's lack of refinement works against it at times and makes it frustrating. In the arkham games, when you need to counter someone, if you're fast enough, you can strike (without countering) them before they actually attack or even just move out of the way. It's a risk but it's doable and helps play into the strategy and keeps the flow going depending on your style of play. Do not try this in this game. If you see you need to counter someone, you have to counter them. Do not try to hit them, do not try to web them, just counter. Anything less and you will get hit. Additionally, and more frustratingly, enemies cover unrealistic ground with their attacks. I was in a group of enemies, one guys about to hit me, i web rush to another guy that was a good distance away and the guy throws his punch and basically slides over to me because the game said he needed to hit me because i didn't counter it like i was suppose to.
Personally I've been able to do this, but I have noticed a general strictness I feel matches Sleepy Dogs combat. The camera is far too close for my tastes, though, and somtimes I'll kill a guy without knowing how I did it, as sometimes it feels like there is a disconnect between my actions and what's happening on screen.

hbkdx12

Man, tell me about it. I'm grinding my way through the combat challenges now and probably for the first time in the entire game, i'm beginning to realize how bad the auto targeting can be. Especially when you need to use seismic blast. I'm holding down Circle and running around in circles trying to line the brutes up into my path because the game decides to lock on to an enemy i don't want it to but i can't change the autolock because i'd need to use my thumb to maneuver the right thumb stick expect it's held down on circle so i can charge my shot. ugh.

I think it's more a problem with Beenox's implementation than an issue with webs touching buildings. In Spider-man 2, when there were no buildings to swing on you just used web-zip (pull both triggers in at once) to pull you in closer to where the buildings are. You didn't have to aim to web-zip like you do in this game. Web-rush is so damn clunky.

I wished they implemented something like that. Even when your really high up, you have to web rush either on to a solid structure or close enough near one that spidey will bounce off a wall and into the spot you want him to go . So again, if you want to web rush somewhere that isn't close enough to any buildings it just won't let you. So aggravating. Makes traversal more of a chore than it needs to be.

Personally I've been able to do this, but I have noticed a general strictness I feel matches Sleepy Dogs combat. The camera is far too close for my tastes, though, and somtimes I'll kill a guy without knowing how I did it, as sometimes it feels like there is a disconnect between my actions and what's happening on screen.

Yeah i'm going through the combat challenges and i'm seeing now how much of a hot mess the controls are. To again compare this to a much better game, in the arkham games, roll/evade and counter are one two seperate buttons. Here both are on the same button and context sensitive. So there are plenty of times where i'm trying to evade so i can kite everyone and down them real quick with a seismic blast but when i try to it'll also be the exact moment an enemy is attack so it'll literally have me teleport out of my way so that i can fulfill the counter animation.

If they could somehow create a patch to fix the camera, tighten the combat, and refine some aspects of webswinging i think i'd be ok calling thiks a pretty good game.

On a sidenote, has anyone consistenly used the slingshot ability for anything? I upgraded the first part of it and it's literally slower and less effective then webswinging. (you can easily cover more ground just webswinging than the time it takes just to charge up the move that only propels you about half a block) that i never bothered to max it out

BTHR Zero X

Does anybody have a pre order DLC code for ps4 they dont want? gamestop messed up my order and i didnt get my code :(

Yeah it doesn't matter none of the codes work. Activisions Support Page and Facebook Support Page is full of complaints about it. I myself paid extra as it is an extra edition here in the UK and not pre-order codes, and they do not work.

Teddified

Yeah it doesn't matter none of the codes work. Activisions Support Page and Facebook Support Page is full of complaints about it. I myself paid extra as it is an extra edition here in the UK and not pre-order codes, and they do not work.

Huh, maybe that's why Amazon took off the pre-order bonus and lowered the price by $10?

I did notice that the info disappeared from the games page before it released but I still contacted amazon after I got the game to see what was going on and they just said that there was no pre-order bonus for the game and offered me $10 for the troubles.

Something I found out and posted on the steam forum discussions.

Dealing with those spike lags for the PC version. This should help out a bit. Now I don't get and Spike lag loading while swinging now and Max Settings. Also I made the game wose/better. Just fooling around with the files a bit and broke stuff and made a better specular map for Spidey.
I think the Spider-Man 2 Game music is what made the game actually seem good.

Everyone I have solved the issue(mostly) for the lag. Use the program dll called SoftTH and use the SoftTH GUI and force MultiCore usage and run that. And you'll run the game no problem. I get full 60fps and even at 4K res.

SoftTH

SoftTH GUI

Just set it up by placing the dll where the EXE is and run the game.exe and it'll create a configuration file. Then use the GUI editor to open that config file and go to Overrides and click Force multicore usage. And resave it. You can edit it in hex if you want to downsample stuff as well if you really care for it. So it seems to be the 2-3 core usage that isn't getting enough juice.

Start up the config tool for ASM2 and play the game and watch as you have no problems with stuttering now.

Might not work for some of you, but it should help a few people out there that should be able to run this game easily that are having spike lags.

So hopefully this is good enough until Beenox fixes this issue if they ever try to, that is.

Will say Beenox does a great job with main character models. Their Spider-Men models are always top notch.

Jolkien

Are there any racing/time-trial/delivery side quests in this game?

Im at 22% total game completion so far and I only ran into races in those 3 mission type you listed. There's also burning building mission where you have to save X people in a set amount of time, I have a lot of problem with those for some reasons.

JohngPR

Dealing with those spike lags for the PC version. This should help out a bit. Now I don't get and Spike lag loading while swinging now and Max Settings. Also I made the game wose/better. Just fooling around with the files a bit and broke stuff and made a better specular map for Spidey.

So hopefully this is good enough until Beenox fixes this issue if they ever try to, that is.

Will say Beenox does a great job with main character models. Their Spider-Men models are always top notch.

I tried the performance fix but it didn't really change a whole lot. :(

Unai

It doesn't seem to be working for me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So, a decade later no game has been able to match Spiderman 2, right? I haven't tried all of them in the meantime, so if I've somehow missed an amazing classic I'd like to know.

If you want more balloon retrieval, pizza delivery time trials, ring races, and saving endless clumsy civilians from falling off buildings...then yes the last decade has been a big miss for Spiderman games. Otherwise...

Web of Shadows
Shattered Dimensions
ASM1

All superior games to SM2. Outside of the fancy webslinging, SM2 was a pretty terrible game. That said, all of the above games have their own issues as well, but they provide great entertainment value that outweigh the negatives. If anyone is in the mood to play a Spiderman game, those will do very nicely.

Awh, drat that sucks since I'm now getting max frames. They really screwed up with this port didn't they?. Since a few other people that tried this had it working, oh well. They better fix it soon.

Meneses

Playing the PS3 version, here is my opinion:

The game feels unfinished, UI and menus look very cheap, but I'm having a moderate amount of fun with it. The swinging helps, it is getting better, but it does make me want to load up SM2 instead.

The game is super janky, but I do remember SM2 being as bad (or even worse) in that regard.

A terrible, terrible thing is the non-skippable (afaik) cutscene before and after every random crime. These side missions are already super repetitive (with basically no variation whatsoever within a specific mission type), but this just takes up too much time.

As an aside, I cannot unsee Peter's face as a young Michael from GTAV.

jholmes

This game gets all the little things right.
wiiu_screenshot_gamepc1jpk.jpg

But just like Spidey in this game, they can't seem to stick the landing.

I have this on Wii U and yeah, the menu screen stuff on the GamePad is unbelievably low res. I'm not a big resolution snob or anything either. It just looks noticeably blurry.

It stinks because this isn't a bad Wii U port, but a lazy one. Little details that should be really minor things, like the resolution on the menus or having non-default music on the startup screen, are what this game bungles. You can use the GamePad as a touchscreen when navigating the map, but only when you pause the game, not during regular gameplay. When you pause on the pad, you just get "Pause" on the TV in big, blurry, ugly letters. It looks amateurish.

It's frustrating because this port is soooo close, too. I'd like to see what Beenox could do with the hardware given a little more time.

J@hranimo

Banned
How is this game on the Wii U? Any unique features? framerate? Controls well? I'm interested in getting this version in the future.

I play this game, bought it day one on PS4 and couldn't be happier with it. I know the reviews and general reception from people I know aren't great...but as a Spidey fan, I'm just happy to have a next gen web swinging game. I don't expect GOTY from these...just mindless fun!

atr0cious

Oh....jeez, talk about lazy on my part :p

Well damn not many care about the Gamepad as usual. As long as it plays ok I guess I'll give it a try.
I feel like Polygon, as the more I play it, the more I fall in love with it, and the higher the score goes. I'm still getting the hang of swinging, but being able to stay above street level is really fun, especially when you start getting upgrades for it. The game show flashes of decent resolution, but is bogged down by it's rushed development time, as it will constantly flux between 'current gen' and handheld resolutions depending on where or what you're doing. If you're a Spider-Man fan, this game is for you, and is head and shoulders above SM2 in terms of how they characterize Spidey himself.

J@hranimo

Banned
I play this game, bought it day one on PS4 and couldn't be happier with it. I know the reviews and general reception from people I know aren't great...but as a Spidey fan, I'm just happy to have a next gen web swinging game. I don't expect GOTY from these...just mindless fun!

I feel like Polygon, as the more I play it, the more I fall in love with it, and the higher the score goes. I'm still getting the hang of swinging, but being able to stay above street level is really fun, especially when you start getting upgrades for it. The game show flashes of decent resolution, but is bogged down by it's rushed development time, as it will constantly flux between 'current gen' and handheld resolutions depending on where or what you're doing. If you're a Spider-Man fan, this game is for you, and is head and shoulders above SM2 in terms of how they characterize Spidey himself.

Ok you guys convinced me. I'll get it when I can. Should be fun :)

Rnr1224

I'm now maxing out the levels for all the suits and it is annoying. I only have a couple left but its annoying to just be doing just the deadlock events as they give the most exp. Also, has anyone been able to get the super hero achievement by replaying missions on the hardest difficulty level? I dont feel like starting over from scratch with no suits or anything.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone know what the ending is all about, seems to be hinting at a sequel (not movie related too)
But the real question I wanna ask is where Gwen Stacey? for such an important character in the film to not have her pop up even once is weird

BTHR Zero X

Anyone know what the ending is all about, seems to be hinting at a sequel (not movie related too)
But the real question I wanna ask is where Gwen Stacey? for such an important character in the film to not have her pop up even once is weird

Have you seen Amazing Spider-Man 2 the film?

JohngPR

Finished all of the combat challenges on Super Hero difficulty...man some of those challenges were a real bitch to get through!

asm2launcher2014-05-0n2j86.png

I just had to have the Superior Spider-man suit though....looks great in-game too:

asm2launcher2014-05-0yikln.png

nOoblet16

I can't remember how the swinging mechanics in Spiderman 2 were because it's been years since I played that game but wasn't it similar to this game? I mean one button for left swing and another for right?

Also how technically incompetent have you got to bee to make a PS4 game look like a mid tier PS3 game, have ridiculous load times and run at 30FPS? Even with the tight schedule considered.

Top Bottom