• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

TimFL

wor0Dgm.png

Someone mentioned on 4chan that it looks like there's still moonswinging.
Kind of disappointed in that to be honest after it seemed like they were changing that.

I think overall the game still looks pretty fun from the gameplay videos and stuff. I think I'd totally pick it up, but it'd have to be reduced.

The sky swinging is more or less related to the fact that the weblines lack any sort of physical properties. They are essentially in no-clip mode. The web probably attached to the building at a certain angle (or went through it) but in the current swing position it looks like it sticks to outer space. I tested whether webs attach to structures the first 20 minutes I got the game and that was the reason most of the time (that webs simply have no collisions and look weird after you hold onto them for a while). Central park is still haunted with sky swinging though, not a single webline attached to the trees so far (they all extend past the trees into the sky).

Atleast it looks like they attach, better than the first game IMO.

I've put about 5 hours into it and its not as bad as the naysayers will have you believe. however I am starting to feel the repeativeness of it and I'm not happy that the new suits are only skins and have zero impact on gameplay. Like the black symbiote suit should not show wear and tare...but it does. ( i saw that in a video) i havent unlocked it yet.

The menace and hero system gives a sense of urgency that i'm not liking. I keep opening that the fighting gets better because right now its the same moves over and over.

overall I'd give the game a 7.

The sky swinging is more or less related to the fact that the weblines lack any sort of physical properties. They are essentially in no-clip mode. The web probably attached to the building at a certain angle (or went through it) but in the current swing position it looks like it sticks to outer space. I tested whether webs attach to structures the first 20 minutes I got the game and that was the reason most of the time (that webs simply have no collisions and look weird after you hold onto them for a while). Central park is still haunted with sky swinging though, not a single webline attached to the trees so far (they all extend past the trees into the sky).

Atleast it looks like they attach, better than the first game IMO.

This is a major annoyance to me that people are wanting this realism in a video game. its a comic book character...in cartoons,etc it would just me impossible for there to be always something for a web to stick to so that he has the proper angle. the only time the comic, cartoon, movie, etc ever even try to touch on it is when there is a huge empty space or water...other than that you enjoy the illusion that he can swing where he wants. but to always expect a structure for a web to attach to is just stupid.

Some Nobody

I've put about 5 hours into it and its not as bad as the naysayers will have you believe. however I am starting to feel the repeativeness of it and I'm not happy that the new suits are only skins and have zero impact on gameplay. Like the black symbiote suit should not show wear and tare...but it does. ( i saw that in a video) i havent unlocked it yet.

The menace and hero system gives a sense of urgency that i'm not liking. I keep opening that the fighting gets better because right now its the same moves over and over.

I thought each suit had it's own stat bonuses? (Which, by the way, if done right is actually a genius idea.) You're right about the symbiote suit, but I wouldn't expect them to get that right anyway.

Permanently A

The problem I have with the web swinging is that there isn't any momentum to it. The "moonswinging" is not a problem, the problem is that velocity isn't carried over. You can dive from the empire state building or jump from the ground and the momentum you have when swinging is exactly the same. You can only artificially go faster by holding down both triggers as once.

Its a shame they couldn't get it right yet again.

Rnr1224

the suits do offer stat boosts but i havent really noticed any differences between them all.

TimFL

This is a major annoyance to me that people are wanting this realism in a video game. its a comic book character...in cartoons,etc it would just me impossible for there to be always something for a web to stick to so that he has the proper angle. the only time the comic, cartoon, movie, etc ever even try to touch on it is when there is a huge empty space or water...other than that you enjoy the illusion that he can swing where he wants. but to always expect a structure for a web to attach to is just stupid.

Hey I was just posting my observations. Not saying that I hate it, but assuring the guy that he was right about what he posted. Have webs attach nearby a building in the next game but please add proper momentum/physics. I should be able to use the speed of a skydive to boost my next swing.

And I don't think the black suit in this is the black suit. It's a cloth version of it so the wear and tear fits. It's not the actual symbiote.

And the stat boosts could be scrapped, you wouldn't notice a difference. Close to zero impact on the gameplay.

I thought each suit had it's own stat bonuses? (Which, by the way, if done right is actually a genius idea.) You're right about the symbiote suit, but I wouldn't expect them to get that right anyway.

Its not the Symbiote Suit though, its the black suit. Which Peter made when he already had gotten rid of it when Black Cat told him he looked good in it. When it was just the cloth version. Which is why it looks like cloth.

Evoorg

Neo Member
For the record, I am a total sucker for Spider-Man games... Count me in the group who thought Spider-Man 2 was nearly perfect and have since been hoping for a polished version of that for years. I guess I'm still waiting.

All that said, I will still probably pick this up. The one thing I have not yet seen is a detailed comparison between 360 vs. One or PS3 vs. PS4. The Digital Foundry article is really nice in regards to the PS4 vs, the One, but I think my inner fanboy isn't piqued enough to buy a new console.

Anyone know of a good Last Gen vs. Next Gen comparisons for ASM2?

TimFL

For the record, I am a total sucker for Spider-Man games... Count me in the group who thought Spider-Man 2 was nearly perfect and have since been hoping for a polished version of that for years. I guess I'm still waiting.

All that said, I will still probably pick this up. The one thing I have not yet seen is a detailed comparison between 360 vs. One or PS3 vs. PS4. The Digital Foundry article is really nice in regards to the PS4 vs, the One, but I think my inner fanboy isn't piqued enough to buy a new console.

Anyone know of a good Last Gen vs. Next Gen comparisons for ASM2?

I think the only real difference is the draw distance. 360/PS3 have a lower draw distance. I saw a few pictures comparing PS4 and 360 and I noticed close to zero differences (360 had a few crushed blacks but that's about it, the picture was maybe a bit washed out). Oh and the amount of cars/citizens roaming the streets.

I got the Wii U version. I don't know how that compares to the other consoles. The only thing that really stands out is the loading times for the city. Got to wait a bit, but after that its pretty cool.

I wonder how the 3DS version is.

I got the Wii U version. I don't know how that compares to the other consoles. The only thing that really stands out is the loading times for the city. Got to wait a bit, but after that its pretty cool.

I wonder how the 3DS version is.

Is it worth picking up this or the previous game for Wii U would you say? Any cool gamepad features?

Nymphae

Banned
Like the black symbiote suit should not show wear and tare...but it does. ( i saw that in a video) i havent unlocked it yet.

I'm not familiar with the particulars of TASM movie series, but is the black suit supposed to be a symbiote? Or is it just a black suit? In the old comics, I believe for a while Spidey simply had a black suit created, it wasn't actually a symbiote.

TimFL

I'm not familiar with the particulars of TASM movie series, but is the black suit supposed to be a symbiote? Or is it just a black suit? In the old comics, I believe for a while Spidey simply had a black suit created, it wasn't actually a symbiote.

Yep, there is the symbiote suit and then there's the black cloth suit he wore for a while (both looking similar).

Reknoc

I'd agree if Spider-Man 2 had not already spoiled me. It adds a lot to the game feeling like you're really controlling spider man.

Beenox could probably do with Doc Ock bringing his draw distance gas back.

Nymphae

Banned

It's one of his defining features/powers, and with regards to gameplay mechanics, it's infinitely more rewarding and enjoyable to actually have to consider how you're going to use the environment to move.

It's not so much wanting realism, it's wanting the most fun gameplay mechanics. Sky-hooking is about as fun as the Web Rush mode is in this game; when it's all automatic and done at the press of a button, it's no longer fun. Web swinging around the city in the first Spider-man game for PS2 was not fun at all. It was necessary and dull, like tapping X to run in GTA or something. But SM2? All of a sudden you have momentum, you have a real sense of speed, you can develop swing skill and do some really fun acrobatics.

other than that you enjoy the illusion that he can swing where he wants

You seem to be saying that while reading the comics, most people are not thinking about where he shoots his webs, therefore....what exactly? It's reasonable to assume he always needs something to swing off of. Like you said, unless he's in an open space or above water, he is in NYC, and has things to swing off of.

Is it worth picking up this or the previous game for Wii U would you say? Any cool gamepad features?

I'm enjoying it, but I would look for system comparisons if your debating getting this on Wii U over other systems you may own. I got it on Wii U because its kid friendly and I wanted to have Spidey be with Golden Sun and Child of Light together on my Nintendo system. My nephew had some fun playing it too.

It runs fine, it just takes a bit too long to load the city. 30 fps, no dips that I've seen. Sometimes I see 60 frames per second when you have the camera looking at the sky and Spidey is running or climbing or whatever. I haven't gotten all that far in the game yet though.

I haven't played the previous game. I got this because of the web slinging changes they made, and because I'm just really hyped to see the movie this Saturday.

The map is on the Game Pad when you play on the TV and you can play off-TV as well. Other than that, nothing special. You can take pictures and post them on Miiverse. I don't know how to do that, but I see other people doing it.

You can also play with the Pro controller as well. I haven't tried that yet.

I'm enjoying it, but I would look for system comparisons if your debating getting this on Wii U over other systems you may own. I got it on Wii U because its kid friendly and I wanted to have Spidey be with Golden Sun and Child of Light together on my Nintendo system. My nephew had some fun playing it too.

It runs fine, it just takes a bit too long to load the city. 30 fps, no dips that I've seen. Sometimes I see 60 frames per second when you have the camera looking at the sky and Spidey is running or climbing or whatever. I haven't gotten all that far in the game yet though.

I haven't played the previous game. I got this because of the web slinging changes they made, and because I'm just really hyped to see the movie this Saturday.

The map is on the Game Pad when you play on the TV and you can play off-TV as well. Other than that, nothing special. You can take pictures and post them on Miiverse. I don't know how to do that, but I see other people doing it.

Cool, cheers for the impressions. I have a PS4 as well, but the visuals don't look much different and the PS4 version is more expensive. Besides - the Wii U needs all the third party sales it can get!

Pavaloo

So Ive been playing this game on my PC* for the last couple days, impressions below.

This is my first Spidey game since Web of Shadows so stuff like the arkham combat system and web-rush is new to me.

I actually love that they copied the batman series' combat! I think it fits spider-man so well to have his spider sense go off and a lot of the times in batman he would glide across the room to attack guys which would kind of break the illusion of the fights looking real, but with spider-man it all kind of suits him because he's so acrobatic and can also web-zip himself across small distances. It's a shame they can't quite get the combat as tight as the arkham games, with enough polish the combat style could make a spider-man game look really good.

I think web rush is kind of neat, I guess? I miss web-zip from s-m2 that's for sure. I tend to land in the wrong place and then the game suffers from the same issues spider-man games had 10 years ago.. camera and control going awry. I'm getting used to it though and it is making it cool to stylishly move across huge distances. I'm getting used to it to the point now though that web-swinging is almost useless lol.

Which gets me to the big part! Swinging! See I left spider-man games after WoS because I realized the swinging from S-M2 was the core experience I wanted. While this game isn't quite as good as its 10 year old predecessor, it's actually great to finally play with this physics based swinging again. I'm having a blast chaining my swings across the city and spider-manning it up. I think the left arm-right arm mechanic is a novel idea, definitely don't dislike it.

All in all, I'm actually having a lot of fun with it, but like other posters in here, it's CLEAR AS DAY that this game is unpolished, unfinished, and generally scrapped together. If this thing was put into the oven for even another year it could be great. Man they have such a great system in place for combat, stealth, and now traversal swinging; it's completely stupid that they cannot seem to marry the three into an Arkham-class game. Stuff like unpolished combat, loading/cutscenes for every heroic task(seriously, fuck this so much), graphic fidelity, etc. really hold this game back.

*As for performance: I'm running full amazing settings on this rig:
i7 3770k [stock speed]
7950 3gb[stock speed]
16gb ram

and my performance tends to jump from 30 to 60 when swinging from high to low in the city, but generally is 50+ otherwise. also gets my tower loud and hot as hell, battlefield doesn't even do that.

anyone looking for s-m2 style fun swinging around the city patrolling as spider-man and stopping crimes: this game is definitely doing that for me. the added bonus of it being mediocre looking in todays standards is that spidey looks more fluid than he did back in 2004, this is much nicer than dusting off an old copy of s-m2. mostly though, the game reminds you of failed opportunities, which is kind of sad and spider-man don't deserve that. a solid 6/10, maybe a 7.

Also shoutout to the Miles Morales unlockable costume! never really dug it in the comics, but it's hot fire in this game.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I've put about 8 hours into this game and am right at the end of the campaign. It's no where near as bad as everyone keeps saying.

The two handed swinging isn't anything like Spider-Man 2. It's more like the first ASM game, but you can turn in a much tighter radius. It took some getting used to, but I actually prefer it to the original.

I'd say my only real issue is looking at a loading screen on a PS4 game. Not something I'm used to but completely forgivable. If I had to slap a number on it, I'd put it around a 7.

SJRB

Gold Member
I've put about 8 hours into this game and am right at the end of the campaign. It's no where near as bad as everyone keeps saying.

The two handed swinging isn't anything like Spider-Man 2. It's more like the first ASM game, but you can turn in a much tighter radius. It took some getting used to, but I actually prefer it to the original.

I'd say my only real issue is looking at a loading screen on a PS4 game. Not something I'm used to but completely forgivable. If I had to slap a number on it, I'd put it around a 7.

...what games have you been playing on PS4 that don't have loading screens?

-Digits-

Finished the story. The ending is very abrupt with a post-credits scene that leads into either future dlc or the next game. Probably the latter. I had a lot of fun doing the story missions but I'm a bit disappointed with the ending.

Stranya

I've only ever played Shattered Dimensions (in terms of Spider-Man games), which I really enjoyed (nice variety, and I liked the mission structure). For anyone who's played both, am I likely to get some fun out of this?

Rnr1224

I've only ever played Shattered Dimensions (in terms of Spider-Man games), which I really enjoyed (nice variety, and I liked the mission structure). For anyone who's played both, am I likely to get some fun out of this?

depends how much you like open world games. i find it really fun to swing around the city and stopping crimes is fun but a little demanding.

jholmes

I would agree with all this. My copy just arrived in the mail. One thing I would note that's not a deal-breaker but a big pet peeve of mine: when you start the game up, it plays the default Wii U music that you get when you start Netflix or something like that. It's really rinkydink and reflects poorly on the rest of the port.

Xander51

I'm playing this on PS4...and really loving it??? The swinging is the most fun I've had with a Spider-Man swing mechanic since SM2 (though my favorite swinging is still probably Bionic Commando 08). The boost in particular really makes this feel wonderful, and I can zip around the city quite well.

I also like that the combat is a bit more Arkham-y than the first one, and I grinned at the inclusion of the double counter. I also enjoy the Hero/Menace system and its associated bonuses, as it gives me a reason to actually do the side missions for something other than completion, and makes them feel a little more relevant and the city a little more alive...even if they do start to repeat almost immediately due to their random nature.

This is a really fun game. I'm pleased so far after a couple hours of play.

Pavaloo

What is even the point of this shit?

The more menace you are the more anti-spidey task forces in the streets and boobytraps. The more hero you are you get less of that stuff and more people going "spidey u r kewl."

It's always actively going down to menace too which is annoying, but kind of an incentive to do side missions for something other than completion. (think someone mentioned this earlier)

Hero/Menace was a good idea but really shit execution. Once a side mission's time begins to run out, you have about a minute to complete it before it ends and you lose Hero points, even if the mission is halfway across the map. Problem is, AFAIK there's no way to tell how much time a mission has left until it begins to die, and quite frankly I don't care to take on the 20th burning building or car chase that hour to just get it out of the way. Less of those, more police deadlocks. Those are fucking cool.

and FYI, somebody pointed out that if you just want to free-roam with no worries, just replay a mission before the task force is introduced. You apparently keep all your upgrades.

I generally like the game even with all it's faults but the damned hero/menace thing needs to die.

It's such a pain in the ass to do 5 side missions in a row. (each with it's own intro and outro cinematic) get up to max hero level to only have it drop immediately to half or in many times less by events that have expired while you were doing other side missions.

You just saved 15 people from a fire while not responding to a car B&E?
-Fuck you, you're a menace!

You saved 4/5 people from a burning building?

You carried a bomb on your back and it exploded on your back while you were tossing it into the river? (No civilians around)

Also when you're a menace you are constantly hounded by mini spider slayers(?) that make it a pain to find any collectible and in the later part of the game mounted turrets around the city.

I feel like Beenox was trying to really make you feel like you're Spider-Man by constantly making you a menace despite all the good you're trying to do, but to be made a menace when you aren't even involved in an event because it's halfway across town is really dumb

eshwaaz

I wish there were more stats, like time played, distance swung, longest time swinging without falling, etc.
I noticed this as well. Even the stats page is inferior to the previous game.

And to echo the last few posts - the Hero/Menace "feature" is a pointless nuisance. I feel like Beenox doesn't even understand what was fun about the last game.

Some of what is wrong with this game can be blamed on Beenox having to meet the release date of the movie, but there are also plenty of annoyances that were just poor design decisions, period. Additional development time wouldn't have fixed many of the issues - they just made some really bad choices.

So I beat the game.

Really annoyed that hero/menace isn't optional post-game. Makes collecting comics a pain in the ass. The game literally forces you to play the side missions over and over, forever.

I probably won't bother playing again.

The worse part is that it essentially kills any free roam you'd want to do which is a shame because the swing mechanics are not horrible.

Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

Riky

$MSFT
Got the PC version for £13 Steam key. I wouldn't be happy paying full price for this, even with everything turned up at 1080p it looks poor and PC version is not well optimised, 7870 with 8gb of ram and get 60fps until you start web slinging then it drops to high twenties at points, lowering settings seems to make no difference apart from making a poor looking game poorer.
Also script and voice acting is terrible and the by the numbers missions are stuff you've seen before hundreds of times, buyer beware.

BTHR Zero X

Just picked up the "Web Threads Edition" at GAME got it home and the Web Threads Pack code does not even work because Sony EU has not updated the store with the Item so all codes are saying Invalid/Used

Karak

So I beat the game.

Really annoyed that hero/menace isn't optional post-game. Makes collecting comics a pain in the ass. The game literally forces you to play the side missions over and over, forever.

I probably won't bother playing again.

The worse part is that it essentially kills any free roam you'd want to do which is a shame because the swing mechanics are not horrible.

Who the hell thought this was a good idea?
I have to agree I just posted up my Review and could barely give it a rent rating for that exact reason plus the PC version has some good parts and bad parts but the optimization issues need to be fixed and the menace system needs to be totally revamped. It's current implementation is like a fucking Sith programmed it. With us or against us with absolutely no fucking idea how to handle it deftly or with any tact and especially with all the talk of morality to then treat that aspect so heavy handed it feels broken and like someone else programmed it.

I feel a bit gutted actually. This could have been good for sure but it needs some serious work for anything other than a bargain basement price or a rent/gamefly. Also that script and voice acting was terrible.

Top Bottom