• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 |OT| Spidey's back I guess

Seems like there is already a review up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFnV3dR7bB0

I'm not sure how they got this out before the embargo. Also, it seems like web-swinging against buildings is not always the case. If what the review is saying is correct, some story missions just let you swing from the air and even some areas in the city. Some new gameplay is in the video. They recommend waiting for a price drop

Holy shit. Does this show really need a 45 second intro?

Edit: lololol. These guys are unintentionally hilarious.

SJRB

Gold Member
Watched a bit of the kid's livestream. The city seems much more detailed and varied than the previous game. More stuff on the streets, more trademark New York buildings/locations, way more foliage too. However, draw distance and both texture and object pop-in is pretty horrendous.

I think everyone who enjoyed the previous game is going to like this one. Everyone who disliked the previous one is going to destroy this one because it's a next-gen game but makes zero use of the additional horsepower from the PS4.

JayEH

Added a sentence on what little plot info I found on a wiki. Some informed me I had the Aussie release date wrong so I fixed that. Also added the launch trailer. Looks like reviews might not be up for a couple of days so I'll post those when they come in.

Getting this on PS3. Was pretty excited when i saw the press release' gameplay part but lost my interest after i read some impressions. By the way, went ahead and bought Shattered Dimensions, is it good?

Codiox

Getting this on PS3. Was pretty excited when i saw the press release' gameplay part but lost my interest after i read some impressions. By the way, went ahead and bought Shattered Dimensions, is it good?

Web of shadows was the best spidey game last gen IMO, i didnt liked SD.

Certinty

Best Spider-Man game of last-gen by a long way.

Spiderman will be available on REDBOX!
Save your money and dash to the nearest redbox before you plunk down 60 large!

http://www.redbox.com/games/comingsoon
7319.jpg
7318.jpg

Teddified

Pre-ordered on Amazon so the $10 off is nice.

This game will definitely be somewhat enjoyable considering my Platinum of the First game. Though I would of rather paid $30 for it, I really had nothing I felt up to playing so it'll be a nice change of pace.

dreamfall

Added a couple more trailers and screenshots to OT.

Great OT. Still trying to decide whether or not to bite on PS4.

I played a ton of the first Amazing game, but not because I loved it. I just loved zipping around, and swinging about (from the clouds) for hours.

Dereck

I'm not sure how they got this out before the embargo. Also, it seems like web-swinging against buildings is not always the case. If what the review is saying is correct, some story missions just let you swing from the air and even some areas in the city. Some new gameplay is in the video. They recommend waiting for a price drop
YouTube has made it the norm for people to make such long intros for them talking about a video game. People would be surprised at how many channels there are out there, of some guy talking about video games on YouTube, surprised.

Can't wait for the first game we can preload and unlock with the upcoming PS4 update. Would have loved it for this.

Wonder what the first big game will be that will take advantage of it? Watch Dogs?

sector4

Not gonna lie, that was a pretty hype trailer.
Epic trailer hey? Kind of wish they didn't show
Shocker and Carnage
, would have been nice if they were surprises, but damned if I'm not hyped as hell to play it. Excellent trailer!

Some Nobody

Depends on what you want out of a Spider-Man game. If you want an open-world experience where web-swinging is "perfect", it might not be the game for you. If on the other hand you just want an enjoyable experience playing as Spider-Man in decent-sized levels kicking the crap out of classic Spider-Man villains across four different worlds (three of which all play entirely differently from one another), then you'll love it.

Personally, I really enjoyed it.

Also, the embargo on this one is strong. I suspect this isn't a terribly good game, even though I certainly want it to be.

Yoday

The game shipped from gamefly today. The game looks janky, but I am looking forward to playing it, as I haven't played a spiderman game since spiderman 2.

dolabla

I went ahead and bit. Got it on PS4. Was gonna wait for it to drop in price, but the lack of PS4 games is killing me right now so I had to buy.

I've watched several gameplay vids and the gameplay looks fun to me. I think I will enjoy it. I haven't played a Spider-Man game since 3.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Shattered Dimensions is one of the best Spiderman games. Each level is unique featuring a different setting, villain, and enemy set(mostly). Turned off a lot of people due to the lack of open world, and 3 of the 4 spidey variants are a bit too similar to each other in design, but I had a blast playing through it.

Web of Shadows is also quite good, but gets really repetitive. Probably the best 'open-world' Spidey game of last gen(though I never played Amazing).

Takao

Banned

Man, Angry Joe really let himself go when he dropped that schtick.

Hip Hop

This is so lame.

Steam version unlocks in 12 hours.

Haven't played a Spider-Man game since SM2. Was looking forward to it.

SeanTSC

Picking up a copy of this for the PS4 tomorrow too.

I'm not expecting great things from it, but I do almost always have fun with the Spider-Man games that I have played. They may not be the best games in the world, but they are entertaining (especially for Spider-Man fans). I did enjoy Amazing Spider-Man 1 quite a bit and this looks like an improvement on that game.

I think Ultimate Spider-Man was my favorite out of all the games I've played, though I have missed a couple entries. I've played Spider-Man 1, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Web of Shadows, and Amazing Spider-Man 1.

I missed playing Edge of Time and Shattered Dimensions, sadly.

Some Nobody

Shattered Dimensions is one of the best Spiderman games. Each level is unique featuring a different setting, villain, and enemy set(mostly). Turned off a lot of people due to the lack of open world, and 3 of the 4 spidey variants are a bit too similar to each other in design, but I had a blast playing through it.

Web of Shadows is also quite good, but gets really repetitive. Probably the best 'open-world' Spidey game of last gen(though I never played Amazing).

Hm? I felt like 2099, Amazing, and Noir were all fairly different in terms of play style and level design. Now Ultimate Spider-Man...his missions were pretty much the same as Amazing's, unfortunately.

PS4 footage of the game showing off the first hour and 15 minutes, spoilers obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0riv5fPYhQ

Good grief, that pretty much confirms my fears after the last gameplay footage. Looks terrible, swinging doesn't look very good, the animations are awful and the city just looks and feels lifeless/dead.

I was going to get it when it hit sub £20, but I think I'll pass and just play Web of Shadows again...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's sad that this has next to nothing to do with the movie, the "adapts key moments of the movies story" essentially means we have Electro and Harry in it but they are nothing like their movie counterparts except for a few cheesy lines.

Movie spoilers:
Gwen isn't even in the game so they obviously don't kill her in this installment (which was a huge part of the movie). Overall, the movie was more about the relationship between Peter & Gwen and where they're going than it was about Harry or Electro (Electro felt like a side-character and not the main villain, almost zero character development). They're not adapting jack-shit without having Gwen in the story, because Electro and Harry are mini-parts of the movies story and in no way key elements. Atleast not without Gwen being part of the encounters since she essentially is the reason Spidey could beat Electro.

The least it connects to the movie the better it is for me, for some reason I found the movie a disappointing letdown... as a spider-man fan and as someone who appreciated quite a long run of kick ass superhero movies lately (Iron Man 1 & 2, Captain America: TWS, Batman Begins & TDK, Thor, Avengers Assembled, etc...). TAS 2 had some kick ass special effects, but it still is disappointing to me.

Some Nobody

Game looks very cross-gen, but worth a purchase...just not at full price. Too bad, I would've loved those extra costumes from the pre-order.

This is so lame.

Steam version unlocks in 12 hours.

Haven't played a Spider-Man game since SM2. Was looking forward to it.

Same. I'll probably still pick it up because my roomate is a huge Spider-Man/Marvel fan, and I've been dying to even partially relive the joy that was 12 year old me playing Spider-Man 2 on my Xbox back in 2004.

The rational side of me knows it will be horribly mediocre at best, but almost assuredly terrible.

Top Bottom