• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S4 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Shit shit shit. So they have all the teams already on William and now Phillip is going to meet with him. Jeebus.

My heart won't be able to take the next episode.

-griffy-

Banned
D3ncnau.jpg

I'm tense just thinking about what's about to happen next week.

Pretty sure just a return to status quo for Elizabeth and Philip, which is my main gripe with the show. Every season just sort of resets for those two at the end, with the side characters getting erased.

The really interesting thing though is Robert Hanssen, a soviet mole who worked in the DC FBI offices. I believe the timeline of the show should be matching up with when he started selling his services to the Russians right about now, so it will be interesting to see if the show uses it. I thought for sure Stan the Man would have turned for Nina and been that character, but I think it still may be coming.

JackDT

I find myself hoping they somehow track down Don and so Don realizes he was caught in a operation and didn't actually ruin his own life. Then he's able to patch things up with Young He and live happily ever on.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"If my answers frighten you, [Paige], then you should cease asking scary questions."

Welp, it was nice knowing you William, but it looks like your time is up. FBI's all over you.

It's interesting to watch almost everyone have serious reservations about this bioweapons project. Maybe everyone but Tatiana.

Loved Stan and Aderholt interacting with the new boss. "Welcome to the bureau, sir."

btw paige is super cute tonight. IT HAD TO BE SAID..
BRB, calling the cops on you, creep. It's what Paige would want.

IronRinn

Maaaaaan:

The AV Club said:
Here’s an amazing Easter egg: When Paige and Elizabeth tune in to General Hospital, they’re watching a scene between Brian Patrick Clarke and Sherilyn Wolter as Port Charles lovebirds Grant Putnam and Celia Quartermaine. But there’s a twist: Grant isn’t Grant at all! He’s Grant Andrews, a.k.a. Andrei Chernin, a Russian spy working for the shadowy organization known as DVX. Even when the Jennings aren’t watching The Day After or David Copperfield, their viewing choices still say something about them.

I am loving this season. Might be my favorite yet.
It's a testament to the quality of the show that I'm pretty sure I've thought this at some point every season so far.

- Slate podcast for this week
In this installment about episode 412, “A Roy Rogers In Franconia,” producing director Chris Long joins June Thomas and show runners Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg to discuss his unique process for getting the best performances out of actors. Plus, Costa Ronin (Oleg) stops by to talk about his big scene with Stan Beeman from last night's episode.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This show kills off a mugger better than some shows do main characters.

The finale is going to be so good. Can it be next Wednesday already?

Geist-

every season of this show is better than the one before

I'm going to be devastated when they finally end it. There's no other show like it.

I can see why they did a time skip, they needed to do that so that Paige could get into her current mindset. It definitely feels like they may be going through with the "turn Paige into a spy" plan (I love how disturbed Phil and Elizabeth look when she starts talking about spying on Stan's son).

I know they left Martha's fate deliberately vague, but after the phone call in this episode I really want to know definitively whether she made it out alive or not.

Poor William is going to die right after he found his conscience.

I'm still not a 100% clear on what made Oleg tell Stan about the bioweapons stuff. He talked to Tatiana and his mother and then just kind of decided he wanted to leak that stuff. That's a bit strange.

"Are we going to call the cops" made my eyes roll a bit. No Paige, you've had about a year to figure out why the cops are not going to be called. It really, really is time to grow up now.

I like that the FBI is finally back on their trail. The whole mail robot and bioweapons plot got kind of squashed into the last couple of episodes and it would have been cooler if it had been a season long thing, but I'm still glad it's happening. With two more seasons though I'm pretty sure Philip walks away from that drop unscathed for now.

Looking forward past the finale, I hope they find a reason to keep Oleg around. At this point in the story he seems expendable but he really is quite a charismatic character so I hope they can write something good for him.

Also, are they really not going to try and extract the tape that Alice supposedly made when Pastor Tim went missing? That seems like a huge risk that would be top priority for the KGB to deal with.

Ashby

I don't understand why Phillip and Elizabeth are chiding Paige for working Matthew. The whole point of telling her was to groom her to be a spy, right? And now she's taken to it on her own initiative. Kid's a natural!

I know they left Martha's fate deliberately vague, but after the phone call in this episode I really want to know definitively whether she made it out alive or not.

Poor William is going to die right after he found his conscience.

I'm still not a 100% clear on what made Oleg tell Stan about the bioweapons stuff. He talked to Tatiana and his mother and then just kind of decided he wanted to leak that stuff. That's a bit strange.

"Are we going to call the cops" made my eyes roll a bit. No Paige, you've had about a year to figure out why the cops are not going to be called. It really, really is time to grow up now.

I like that the FBI is finally back on their trail. The whole mail robot and bioweapons plot got kind of squashed into the last couple of episodes and it would have been cooler if it had been a season long thing, but I'm still glad it's happening. With two more seasons though I'm pretty sure Philip walks away from that drop unscathed for now.

Looking forward past the finale, I hope they find a reason to keep Oleg around. At this point in the story he seems expendable but he really is quite a charismatic character so I hope they can write something good for him.

Also, are they really not going to try and extract the tape that Alice supposedly made when Pastor Tim went missing? That seems like a huge risk that would be top priority for the KGB to deal with.
didn't phillip confirm that same episode or an episode later that there was no tape or something. He definitely went after it.

also listen to the podcast posted above and skip to the oleg part, he explains it pretty well. It's at the 24 minute point.

didn't phillip confirm that same episode or an episode later that there was no tape or something. He definitely went after it.

That sounds vaguely familiar now that you mention it, although I'm still not sure how Phillip could know definitively that such a tape doesn't exist. I guess it probably doesn't since they've completely dropped the subject.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Remember, they checked the phone recordings and maybe some other things and there was no indication Alice had contacted a lawyer. And Paige had the idea to not press Alice about it right away. It's still a very recent event, only two episodes have passed since the one with Pastor Tim's Ethiopia trip.

I don't understand why Phillip and Elizabeth are chiding Paige for working Matthew. The whole point of telling her was to groom her to be a spy, right? And now she's taken to it on her own initiative. Kid's a natural!
No, the point wasn't to groom her. It was to control her and maintain the family, what with Pastor Tim feeding her strong suspicion about her parents' secrets. Upon opening up that much to Paige, Gabriel said he'd get the Centre to ease off on trying to pressure them into truly recruiting her. Unless I'm forgetting something, there really hasn't been any mention of the Centre wanting to move forward on anything involving Paige since Phillip and Elizabeth told her they were Russians.

As for her reporting on Matthew and Stan, well, Paige is neither trained nor the most disciplined and careful about these secrets, as we've seen with Pastor Tim. There's a lot of risk in having her poke around and potentially say something that makes someone take notice. Especially when we're coming off the KGB acting on the seemingly benign info that Phillip passed along about Gaad.

Sloane

Banned
Maybe I missed it but how did they make sure Henry didn't tell Matthew about the mugging? That felt like a threat that could have played out huge. (I also thought he would find something when Elizabeth sent him into the garage, lol.)

jerry113

Banned
Maybe I missed it but how did they make sure Henry didn't tell Matthew about the mugging? That felt like a threat that could have played out huge. (I also thought he would find something when Elizabeth sent him into the garage, lol.)

Oh shit...

Well, Stan would first have to be in a mental place to make a connection between a mugging attempt on his neighbors and a dude who died in an alleyway in Washington DC... I don't see it. But who knows?

Saty

In the walk before they were mugged, Paige and Elizabeth agreed not to push Alice for the tape back because if that what Alice needs to feel safe about them then so be it.

No, the point wasn't to groom her. It was to control her and maintain the family, what with Pastor Tim feeding her strong suspicion about her parents' secrets. Upon opening up that much to Paige, Gabriel said he'd get the Centre to ease off on trying to pressure them into truly recruiting her. Unless I'm forgetting something, there really hasn't been any mention of the Centre wanting to move forward on anything involving Paige since Phillip and Elizabeth told her they were Russians.
There was also the part where in order to convince the Centre not to go forward with killing Tim and Alice, Gabriel reported that it would make Paige 'unrecruitable'.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
"We have the best scientists in the world, but we don't have the money"

The Americans being excellent as always.

I'm on a Cold War reading binge and Costa Ronin did a fantastic job conveying the situation. Back in the 80's the Soviet Union was pioneering many technologies -particularly those that could be put to use in the event of WW3- but QA and safety measures were abysmal. The joke about how American seals wouldn't break by accident and spread some awful pathogen was all too real.

You wouldn't believe the kind of gymnastics the Soviet Union would do in order to source critical products such as advanced CNC machines from Japan or obtain hard currency (either American dollars or FRG marks) to purchase said products. More interestingly, the Russian mob played a huge role there, moving large quantities of contraband for corrupt Soviet officials, which in turn allowed them to take control of the economy when the Union crumbled down along the economy and they were the only ones with fat wads of hard currency to throw around.

Zaph

It´s time to kill paige off, I cant stand her !

She is Constantly ruining the show

Crazy talk. I think Paige is the first time I've seen a TV show write a nagging, teenage character, who's a downright liability at times, yet isn't annoying and who's actions are completely understandable.

The Americans does a fantastic job of not needing antagonistic characters - or antagonists at all really. Everyone's motives makes sense, even when you don't like what they're doing.

Top Bottom