• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Assassin's Creed Shadows team has a message for our Japanese community

Killer8

Imagine doing damage control for people whose only opposition to your game, is their discomfort with them darker shade folks...

images

No Problem Nbd GIF by MOODMAN

images

Angry Wrestling GIF

It wasn't the issue.

The issue was pretending it was 'historical'. Ubisoft and its supporters (read: amateur Wikipedia historians) wanted us to believe this was real history and the game was just telling the story of the untold, Yasuke the samurai.

Yet they also want an escape from criticism of that by saying "it's just a game bro". It's the same gang of people who cheered on Battlefield V's hideous interpretation of WW2 and reee'd about Warhorse Studios valuing historical accuracy in Kingdom Come.

They want to bend history to their liking and if they don't get their way, suddenly it doesn't matter anyway. It's just what they do.

near

Gold Member
At first they were obviously trying hard to pass this game as historically accurate. Now all of the sudden it's about exploring different choices and what not... Clearly it's damage control since correcting anything at this stage in the game development is almost impossible. They would need to delay the game probably even for a year.
How were they trying to pass off the game as historically accurate? What AC game ever has been historically accurate?

Sephimoth

lmao!!!

Look where that DEI rabbit-hole took you. That Sweet Baby spending should have gone to legit Japanese historians instead. They had professors and such with previous games who could point out issues didn't they? (showing they were trying to be historically in-line where possible), where were they this time?

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

So basically they will continue to do the things the way theyve always done, just now the fictional stories will not revolve around just the npcs, but they will extend to a protagonist too.

Of all the things thats wrong about their games i cant believe theres complaints about this instead of helix points shop, low quality animations or something that matters, enough to the point that they feel the need to release this statement, theres no need for that, this is a non-issue.

Last edited:

Rudius

I don't think any Japanese gamers buy Assassin's Creed games

But they wrote many words to basically just say "This is for our woke Western audience and not for you and it doesn't matter because Japan won't buy it anyways"
For the woke minority. The majority don't care about this crap.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It should be addressed primarily to their white audience, as they are the ones crying loudest about this shit.

Can’t believe they had to make a fucking statement about this. LOL.

2024 man, the woke mob is less annoying than the “everything is woke” fucking babies. My goodness. Just play it or don’t. It ain’t that serious

King Dazzar

I'm more nervous around them mentioning/stressing two different game style playable characters with equal importance. These days I usually find that means, you'll like enjoy one and dislike the other. Can we please go back to allowing us to choose who we want to always play as.

Skifi28

The controversy seemed silly right from the start. When was AC ever historically accurate and did we ever care until now? I'm playing rise of Ronin and they've taken some very creative liberties with the western characters being portrayed, so fucking what?

Last edited:

Skifi28

When they started adding historical playthroughs to some of the games. And educators loved it.
I actually did some of them in Origins. It was a completely diferent mode that had nothing to do with story or specific characters. You just walked through some areas while a narrator explained things about the way of life, buldings etc. I don't see how it relates. The story or characters have always been exaggereated.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Gold Member
I actually did some of them in Origins. It was completely diferent mode that had nothing to do with story or specific characters. You just walked through some areas while a narrator explained things about the way of life, buldings etc. I don't see how it relates. The story or characters have always been exaggereated.
I simply answered the question I quoted. Were they accurate? Yes. Did people care? Yes, educators.

Last edited:

Starhowl

"A message to our Japanese community"

in English.
English is lingua franca, surely you out of all people won't have a problem with that, but suddenly, when you can't have your way, you have a problem with it.

If that's a problem for you, that in a work of fiction the main character is ethnically not Japanese, it clearly shows that you're lacking real problems!

BTW it's pretty much common knowledge that they're getting taught English in school, you're just trying to be a drama queen here.

Last edited:
To the people saying "the backlash is so silly" and other similar stuff: you might want to look into the whole thing instead of just focusing on the black samurai thing.
AI generated artworks, plagiarized designs (swords straight up copied from One Piece), copyrighted artworks used by Ubisoft without asking for permission, inane historical claims (death by decapitation was a common cause of death according to them) etc. etc.
The list of bullshit around this project is simply mindblowing.

Saber

I like that most smartasses people here easly go to the Ubisoft side saying its fantasy when Ubisoft itself said it represent factual things, to the point of instigating wiki sources to change things constantly about a character no one gave a fuck until now (you think they would go to editting wars if Ubishit called this game a fantasy?).

No. Now that historian got caught and Ubi is being caught for plagarism and culture appropriation they are like "nonononono this is all fantasy, please understand". This is modern Ubi at finest, and the funniest thing is dumb people believing that japanese people(which include senators) are not intelligent enought to smell bullshit from them.
This game gonna be banned in Japan and will be hilarious.

Last edited:

Hudo

Is this confirmed? Or are you saying they both should have character creators?
Ah, sorry. I meant the latter. That both should have character creators. So a lot of Twitter drama could be avoided

Say it loud, He is white so it's acceptable right
What does that have to do with it? Afaik, they never changed the color of the skin of characters they used. Da Vinci was also not the protagonist. And the way Da Vinci was implemented was not to be a message or to please Twitter. I saw him more as Ezio's Q (from James Bond) and also his friend.

So far at least, it seems to me that they've chosen Yasuke to be the protagonist exactly because he's black. And that's not only unfair to the guy but also unfair to the setting at large. If it turns out that they actually do something with him from a story and/or gameplay point of view that justifies this decision, then it might be cool. Their marketing so far didn't show off anything in that regard, however.

If you are implying that I have a problem with Yasuke because he's black. Nope. That's not it. I have a problem with how they're using him because he's black.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Im completely against this game but some of you actually expect Ubisoft to change the protagonist or cancel the game and that is fucking idiotic lmao. Even if its a trash fire, even if Japan blocks the game, its still more cost effective to release the game and get sales off it than cancel it and waste all its budget. Stop expecting this game to change. Its done. This is what you';re all going to get. Vote with your wallets and dont hate buy it or buy it for the memes.

FeralEcho

To the people in this thread seemingly "confused" at the outrage of this game... Let me put it in simpler terms for you:

Imagine Ubisoft is making a Black Panther game set in Africa but the protagonist is an asian who goes around murdering the natives of the land screaming Wakanda Forever while in the Black Panther suit all while at the same time Ubisoft is touting how historically accurate this protagonist and setting is...

Is the picture a little clearer now?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It wasn't the issue.

The issue was pretending it was 'historical'. Ubisoft and its supporters (read: amateur Wikipedia historians) wanted us to believe this was real history and the game was just telling the story of the untold, Yasuke the samurai.

Yet they also want an escape from criticism of that by saying "it's just a game bro". It's the same gang of people who cheered on Battlefield V's hideous interpretation of WW2 and reee'd about Warhorse Studios valuing historical accuracy in Kingdom Come.

They want to bend history to their liking and if they don't get their way, suddenly it doesn't matter anyway. It's just what they do.

From the first dev diary they said his mystery and the fact little is known about him is what made him a good protagonist they could weave a story around.

First dev diary:

Its so weird people are so up in arms about Assassins Creeds historical accuracy now..........remember the reason Napoleaon put his hand in his pocket?
It was to make sure he was holding on to his Apple of Eden.

9W5fVBr.png

Draugoth

Gold Member
From the first dev diary they said his mystery and the fact little is known about him is what made him a good protagonist they could weave a story around.

First dev diary:

Its so weird people are so up in arms about Assassins Creeds historical accuracy now..........remember the reason Napoleaon put his hand in his pocket?
It was to make sure he was holding on to his Apple of Eden.

9W5fVBr.png

Honestly, we all know deepdown why they picked Yasuke as a protagonist rather than any other japanese figure from the time or over an OC like Naoe and past main characters.

Black_Stride

To the people in this thread seemingly "confused" at the outrage of this game... Let me put it in simpler terms for you:

Imagine Ubisoft is making a Black Panther game set in Africa but the protagonist is an asian who goes around murdering the natives of the land screaming Wakanda Forever while in the Black Panther suit all while at the same time Ubisoft is touting how historically accurate this protagonist and setting is...

Is the picture a little clearer now?

Wakanda isnt a real place my G.
Black Panther is a literal fictional character.....Yasuke isnt.
Was he a Samurai I dont know.
Did he exist and interact in some way with other historical figures presented in the game, yes.....how? we dont know.....fuck it we will fill in the blanks with fiction....after all this is Assassins Creed, do people actually think the Order of Templars is real?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So your issue with people portraying the rise in violent crime against Asians, not with the violence against Asians.
No, my issue is that it has fuck-all to do with the game and poisons the well of the discussion.

If you wanted to post a somewhat funny but still pertinent meme, you should have gone for the one where Yasuke murders someone and "hides" in plain sight. The one you posted is simply moronic.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

This is not the first game to feature Yasuke as a samurai and not even first game where he is playable in some form, neither of which by itself ever bothered me. Koei Tecmo had him as a boss in NiOh 1 and one of many playable characters in Samurai Warriors 5 afterall, and that's a Japanese company.

But Ubisoft's marketing of the game presented him as literally 'a real life legendary samurai' and made him the main character of a Sengoku era themed game, of which there were many notable figures and is arguably most iconic era of Japanese history.

They could have used actual legends of the era like Sanada Yukimura, or Musashi or Tadakatsu, but instead they used a guy that barely existed and accomplished nothing.

They literally used him for modern, current year publicity, nothing more.

That is what people found insulting and disappointing. Obviously AC is not remotely historically accurate, but to have their first game set in Japan and you don't get to play as anyone remotely representing the era is laughable.

Your play choices are either a Yasuke, who again they literally falsely marketed as a 'real life legendary samurai' or a fictional female ninja created by same lame ass French folks. Ass. Should have just gone the full on fictional character route and give us made up male and female characters like the Odyssey or Valhalla.

-----

Oh, and before the false equivalency of NiOh 1/William comes up? Let's compare the two.

-NiOh 1 William was based on William Adam's, a real life foreign sailor who DID officially get the samurai title from the shogunate and was even renamed Anjin Miura. Yes, meaning he was even given a last name and that became his lineage and house. He even married a Japanese woman and had kids and lived the rest of his days there.

-The first game was also loosely based on a incomplete Akira Kurosawa movie script about a blonde haired blue eyed samurai.

So NiOh's William has several points of historical significance, including the Akira Kurosawa inspiration point.

Yasuke on the other hand was a literal nobody. He was in Japan for barely over a year, he didn't participate in any of Nobunaga's campaigns, he wasnt given a last name or an estate as a samurai would have been. And in the end he was sold back.

To call Yasuke a legendary real life samurai is laughable. To even call him a foot note is a bit too generous too.

His presence had zero effect on history and thus there was only a few lines recorded about him.

He is more like an interesting factoid nestled *within* a footnote about Jesuit priests, with said footnote belonging to Nobunaga's history.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Honestly, we all know deepdown why they picked Yasuke as a protagonist rather than any other japanese figure from the time or over an OC like Naoe and past main characters.

And this irks people why?

winjer

Gold Member
No, my issue is that it has fuck-all to do with the game and poisons the well of the discussion.

If you wanted to post a somewhat funny but still pertinent meme, you should have gone for the one where Yasuke murders someone and "hides" in plain site. The one you posted is simply moronic.

It doesn't poison the well, it just points to an current social issue that you do not want to address.
As if normalizing violence against Asians is the new normal that we must all accept.

For decades male Asians have been underrepresented in western media, or worst portrayed in very insulting ways.
And this game continues to do this. But since now Asians are now considered as "white adjacent", it's ok to be racist against them.
You are being very racist against a group, while pretending that other people are the racist, for pointing out the normalization of racism and violence against Asians.

Hudo

What a spin job. Ubisoft at least they know they goofed up. THey solved all of this if they just used traditional Japanese samurai and not some made up Black Samurai myth.

Didn't the guy edit Wikipedia pages so he could cite them in his book and also then cite his book on other Wikipedia pages or so? Like an ouroboros of bullshit citations? Or was this another guy?

Last edited:

Skifi28

It's reinforcing a modern stereotype of violence against Asians by slaughtering Japanese people as the (probably?) only famous black character from that time period to Hip-Hop beats, no less. How can you not see that to be, at the very least, in poor taste?
Sounds like a big reach. If one is looking to be offended, everything is offensive.

Top Bottom