• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Assassin's Creed Shadows team has a message for our Japanese community

It seems that some people still don't get it: Ubisoft isn't doing historical fantasy based on real history with this game, they're doing historical fantasy based on literal fanfiction with an avalanche of other crap, and that's the problem.
And don't forget that Ubisoft was able to help with the Notre-Dame reconstruction but now they're not even able to properly design and model some basic room with tatami mat and common shrines/temples?
C'mon, the agenda couldn't be more clear.

Lions Gate

Their official response, which can be read in full below, has been shared via the Assassin's Creed Twitter account half an hour ago:

GTKQnjGawAAO42N

GTKQnjgbEAA5gBE

GTKQnj4aAAA6OJ1

GTKQnkVagAAB9GC
ezgif-1-efd8e8650c.gif

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Wakanda isnt a real place my G.
Black Panther is a literal fictional character.....Yasuke isnt.
Was he a Samurai I dont know.
Did he exist and interact in some way with other historical figures presented in the game, yes.....how? we dont know.....fuck it we will fill in the blanks with fiction....after all this is Assassins Creed, do people actually think the Order of Templars is real?
Would the example of Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry work better for you then?

A game where the protagonist is freeing black people from slavery except this time the protagonist isnt black but asian.

ZjTaeJg.png

Would that be cause enough for an uproar "my g" or since it's a work of fiction as you say we should let it slide cuz it ain't "real"?

What a load of condescending shit!

If you’ve realised you fucked up making a Japanese historical samurai/ninja game with modern protagonists with no relevance to historical characters and want to change it - fine - if not, then just have at it.

Last edited:

CSJ

Ac was never historical. The SETTING was, its why the discovery mode was used in schools. Did people really believe Cleopatra helped Aya to kill some people with masks.

You know the argument against Yasuke was never about it being historically correct, it's that the argument for it, is that it was. (Because people defending Ubisoft keep saying "Japanese Historians" said this/that", but when you look for sources, zero, not one fucking source, nor even here from Ubisoft)
Then you look at the whole Thomas Lockley being "the historian in question" and other Japanese historians using his works, it becomes clear that they've all been duped by a weeb.

I actually would like if the for Yasuke side would actually cite some sources instead of wikipedia and "I heard, I read".
Yet the against side keeps coming up with damning evidence not only of their handling of him, but other material as well. It's just a shame a lot of people on this side are shitty people, but they keep finding stuff.

It seems that some people still don't get it: Ubisoft isn't doing historical fantasy based on real history with this game, they're doing historical fantasy based on literal fanfiction with an avalanche of other crap, and that's the problem.
And don't forget that Ubisoft was able to help with the Notre-Dame reconstruction but now they're not even able to properly design and model some basic room with tatami mat and common shrines/temples?
If thats the case go off when the discovery mode for Shadows is out since that is marketed as an educational tool. The actual game is marketed as an entertainment product.

If thats the case go off when the discovery mode for Shadows is out since that is marketed as an educational tool. The actual game is marketed as an entertainment product.
How come Ubisoft and its defenders are pulling this argument only now that Lockley's bullshit has been uncovered?
The defense for Yasuke killing off people in town left and right while doning a full combat armor was completely different just a few weeks ago.

tommib

Why even address this? These games are all bullshit with time travelling and magic crap and whatever. Do your thing and move on. Stop consulting “experts” for your time travelling alien bullshit. Make a game. Get over it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Would the example of Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry work better for you then?

A game where the protagonist is freeing black people from slavery except this time the protagonist isnt black but asian.

Would that be cause enough for an uproar "my g" or since it's a work of fiction as you say we should let it slide cuz it ain't "real"?

Id play the fuck out of that too.

<----Didnt play Freedom Cry.

Because they did it to push an agenda, that's all.

What agenda is that?

Toots

Gold Member
I don't care much about the yasuke drama, but if ubisoft keeps saying "female shinobi" instead of "kunoichi" im gonna go killdozer on their asses.

Funny how they say they carefully woven the doubts about yasuke samurai status in their narrative. Im waiting for the random npc shooting "this nigga might not be a samurai y'all !" during filler mission n°37.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It doesn't poison the well, it just points to an current social issue that you do not want to address.
As if normalizing violence against Asians is the new normal that we must all accept.

For decades male Asians have been underrepresented in western media, or worst portrayed in very insulting ways.
And this game continues to do this. But since now Asians are now considered as "white adjacent", it's ok to be racist against them.
You are being very racist against a group, while pretending that other people are the racist, for pointing out the normalization of racism and violence against Asians.

winjer, my man. I know you're an intelligent poster, so why are we talking about 21st-century American issues in a thread about a game featuring an African dude? "Normalizes violence against Asians?" This is akin to saying GTA normalizes criminal behavior or that video games promote violence.

You’re hella reaching using this game to speak about American issues. If it were a game where you’re black dude murdering Chinese-American people in San Francisco’s chinatown, you’d have a point, but we’re so far from that that I have a hard time understanding how the comic you posted reached that point.

Make no mistake, Nobunaga is still the big dog and Yasuke serves him in this game. You’re not some big shot black guy who arrives in Japan with his crew to murder the locals.

The issues with this game are the historical revisionism, the poorly researched historical "facts", and the seemingly stolen logos because Ubisoft didn’t do their due diligence. American race relation problems aren’t on the checklist my man.

FeralEcho

Id play the fuck out of that too.

<----Didnt play Freedom Cry.

What agenda is that?
It's actually a dope standalone AC.Also loved the CG trailer for that one alot.

You should try it out.

Still...even though you might not care about this my point is there would be an uproar just the same....

It's understandable why the japanese feel like this.

How come Ubisoft and its defenders are pulling this argument only now that Lockley's bullshit has been uncovered?
The defense for Yasuke killing off people in town left and right while doning a full combat armor was completely different just a few weeks ago.
We had Hippocrates on the boat with the heir of Leonidas sailing the Aegean sea. I guess people who actually played ac games understands reality and fiction better than those looking from the outside. Also, real life doesnt have enemy camps every mile or so of landmass.

Toots

Gold Member
There's no reason why they couldn't make a normal-ass Japanese Samurai (or a female Samurai, I think they were called Onna Bushi(?)
There's only one reason but it's the most important unfortunately : Ass Creed sells.

Ozriel

M$FT
Apparently Japan started an investigation on Thomas Lockley , the guy "consulting" Ubisoft about Yasuke, whom he said was "legendary samurai". He had also claimed that black slaves were popular in feudal Japan.
Japan said people could demand compensation over the fake assumptions of black slavery in Japan and Nihon University erased Thomas Lockley's work and resume. He has pretty much vanished since.
I think that's the main reason Japan is so angry.

Who exactly is ‘Japan’ in this narrative?

Laptop1991

Another pointless PR statement that doesn't deal with the actual truth and just skirt's it, i doubt the Japanese players will be fooled by that. the complaint's from Japanese gamers and people must be bigger than is being reported for them to do this.

Last edited:

What agenda did they have when Odyssey and Valhalla had more in common with LOTR than with Greece and England?
Origins is the last one to be historically accurate. The discovery tours in Odyssey and Valhalla are bullshit.
Odyssey's success ruined the historical aspect of the series.

We had Hippocrates on the boat with the heir of Leonidas sailing the Aegean sea. I guess people who actually played ac games understands reality and fiction better than those looking from the outside. Also, real life doesnt have enemy camps every mile or so of landmass.
That stuff is based on ancient legends and myths, this crap is based on historical fanfiction passed for real history written in current day by some absolute clown.
Surely you get the difference between the two?

Duchess

It's quite interesting to see how Resetera is holding the complete opposite opinion of folks here.

They're claiming the outrage is being generated by western gamers and the Japanese have no issue with it (which is odd, given the Japanese government has literally intervened in the matter).

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
winjer, my man. I know you're an intelligent poster, so why are we talking about 21st-century American issues in a thread about a game featuring an African dude? "Normalizes violence against Asians?" This is akin to saying GTA normalizes criminal behavior or that video games promote violence.

You’re hella reaching using this game to speak about American issues. If it were a game where you’re black dude murdering Chinese-American people in San Francisco’s chinatown, you’d have a point, but we’re so far from that that I have a hard time understanding how the comic you posted reached that point.

Make no mistake, Nobunaga is still the big dog and Yasuke serves him in this game. You’re not some big shot black guy who arrives in Japan with his crew to murder the locals.

The issues with this game are the historical revisionism, the poorly researched historical "facts", and the seemingly stolen logos because Ubisoft didn’t do their due diligence. American race relation problems aren’t on the checklist my man.

This game and it's choice of characters is a political one. Ubisoft has not hidden this matter.
So whatever you may think, this game is directly connected to modern XXI century US politics.

I doubt any of us is Asian or Black. I'm latino, so I'm probably half way in the racist ladder.
Still, this does not mean neither of us can be prevented of speaking of current social issues.
And one of the major issues we have currently, is racism and violence against Asians.
Watch that essay I posted about the portrayal of how Asian men are constantly being discriminated against, in western media.
This is an issue that goes back many decades, and unfortunately, Ubisoft decided to continue to continue this trend.

What agenda did they have when Odyssey and Valhalla had more in common with LOTR than with Greece and England?
Origins is the last one to be historically accurate. The discovery tours in Odyssey and Valhalla are bullshit.
Odyssey's success ruined the historical aspect of the series.
I'm not following you here.
An agenda being present for their new game doesn't imply that there was an agenda for their past games.
Still, i remember hearing about Ubisoft altetering some historical artworks to show women being part of ancient educational classes or something like that in a past Assassin's Creed title.

Braag

Who exactly is ‘Japan’ in this narrative?
A lot of the story is developing in Japanese media sites so it's not really translated. Some say "National politicians" prompted the investigation and some sources say "Japanese officials" I guess it's the same thing, but translated differently.

Lokaum D+

I don't really understand the backlash.

If this was a historical game, then sure I'd kind of understand. However, it's assassin's creed, a sci-fi fantasy action game. It's not meant to be historically accurate and never has been.
Assassins Creed - “The Holy Land” modern day Israel - Character: Altaïr Ibn-La’Ahad ( Arabic )
Assassins Creed II - Location: Florence, Italy - Character: Ezio Auditore ( Italian )
Assassins Creed III - Location: Boston, New York, American Colonial Frontier - Character: Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway) ( American )
Assassins Creed IV Black Flag - Location: The Caribbean - Time Period: The Golden Age of Piracy (18th Century) - Character: Edward Kenway ( British )
Assassins Creed Unity - Location: Paris, France - Character: Arno Dorian ( French )
Assassins Creed Origins - Location: Egypt - Character: Bayek of Siwa ( Egyptian )
Assassin Creed Odyssey - Location: Greece - Character: Kassandra/Alexios ( Greeks )
Assassins Creed Valhalla - Location: Norway/England - Character: Eivor (Scandinavian )

U see, every other AC game has a main character that depicted the time period and ethinic location of the game, now lets see what is happening to AC Shadows.

Assassin Creed Shadows- Location: Sengoku Japan - Character: Some African dude.

and ppl still dont know why the backlash.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
This game and it's choice of characters is a political one. Ubisoft has not hidden this matter.
So whatever you may think, this game is directly connected to modern XXI century US politics.

I doubt any of us is Asian or Black. I'm latino, so I'm probably half way in the racist ladder.
Still, this does not mean neither of us can be prevented of speaking of current social issues.
And one of the major issues we have currently, is racism and violence against Asians.
Watch that essay I posted about the portrayal of how Asian men are constantly being discriminated against, in western media.
This is an issue that goes back many decades, and unfortunately, Ubisoft decided to continue to continue this trend.

what does Ubisoft going with a black samurai as the protagonist have to do with violence against Asians in the U.S?
How exactly is this connected to modern 21st century politics in the U.S.?

Assassins Creed - “The Holy Land” modern day Israel - Character: Altaïr Ibn-La’Ahad ( Arabic )
Assassins Creed II - Location: Florence, Italy - Character: Ezio Auditore ( Italian )
Assassins Creed III - Location: Boston, New York, American Colonial Frontier - Character: Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway) ( American )
Assassins Creed IV Black Flag - Location: The Caribbean - Time Period: The Golden Age of Piracy (18th Century) - Character: Edward Kenway ( British )
Assassins Creed Unity - Location: Paris, France - Character: Arno Dorian ( French )
Assassins Creed Origins - Location: Egypt - Character: Bayek of Siwa ( Egyptian )
Assassin Creed Odyssey - Location: Greece - Character: Kassandra/Alexios ( Greeks )
Assassins Creed Valhalla - Location: Norway/England - Character: Eivor (Scandinavian )

U see, every other AC game has a main character that depicted the time period and ethinic location of the game, now lets see what is happening to AC Shadows.

As far as I know, there are TWO main characters in AC Shadows. One is clearly of Asian ethnicity.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
If it isn’t gacha is there a reason to make a game to appeal to Japanese gamers? Whenever we we see sales from Japan on any titles it’s fraction of fractions. They clearly don’t care but want to complain about a game 10 of them may play?

Bruh.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This is crazy because over the last couple of years there have been historic AC games, it’s impossible to not offended someone these days, I mean where was the apology to Egypt with origins?

Skifi28

Ubisoft is French. Maybe Europeans just don't care to be sensitive about whatever new political issue the US is facing right now? I know I don't.

Lokaum D+

what does Ubisoft going with a black samurai as the protagonist have to do with violence against Asians in the U.S?
How exactly is this connected to modern 21st century politics in the U.S.?

As far as I know, there are TWO main characters in AC Shadows. One is clearly of Asian ethnicity.
yeah yeah, should've been two asians.

I'm looking forward to this game, not interested in the controversy, I've learned I generally like Ubisoft games that aren't Farcry. I'm not sure if people are mad this is woke, or not woke, or fast asleep, it's so hard to tell these days. Woke and anti-woke outrage seem to be merging into just being outraged about everything all the time? Boycotts are cancelled out by the other side anti-boycotting and buying more. Wild times. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That lengthy statement is bizarre.

Last edited:

Tams

This.

No other argument need be made. Magic this, fiction that; the truth is Ubi at least had the protagonist be a local that could be based on accounts of what locals were like then. You know, if only to make it somewhat immersive (the whole bloody main plot device of the series).

Toots

Gold Member
In other news since i had the chance to watch the seven samurais last sunday at my local cinema, i'll let you in on something i never noticed before.

I don't know about yasuke, but Kanbei, the old ronin that the peasants hire first is an old Nobunaga Oda retainer. The movie happens in 1586, the battle at Honno-ji happened 3 or 4 years before. And when he meets his old brother in arms, he tells him "the roof of the castle fell because of the fire and i thought i was dead but survived" im pretty sure he's talking about Honno-ji castle which famously burned to the ground with Oda not wanting to leave.

So maybe if Ubisoft want to salvage thier game, they just have to add a Kanbei character that could do exactly what Yasuke does as Oda's retainer.
Problem solved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom