• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Assassin's Creed Shadows team has a message for our Japanese community

Ozriel

M$FT
“we understand that meeting everyone’s expectations is very difficult…”
is it? you could have just done real Japanese samurais/characters and had the game be entirely with Japanese characters, and it would have met EVERYONE'S expecations. even black people ubisoft! and women! you know, the groups you guys feel need to be coddled and pampered for some reason? shocker: they don't. they like to play games just like everyone else because they're actually human beings too! i know. i hope you're sitting down. it's a lot to take in.
your pandering and bullshit backfired. hope you guys saved and invested your DEI cash from blackrock. would be awesome if lessons were actually learned. i'd be happy to accept your apology and move on.

hugs and kisses,

EVERYONE THAT'S NOT SCARED TO SPEAK THE TRUTH

“They made a game with one of the protagonists being a black man, so they’re coddling and pampering black people”

What a weird take.
If their worlds are pure fiction why are they using it to teach in schools?

They’re using the settings for educational tours etc.

Nobody is teaching schoolchildren that you can backflip off a building and break your fall in 5 inches of hay in a cart.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Or just make a game in Africa dealing with African empires and civilizations? Kush, Aksum, Songhai...there are options that have never been remotely explored.

I would kill for a game involving Mansa Musa as an enemy with one of the pieces of Eden or whatever this shit is called.
Yep. Tons of much better options than shoehorning him into the game in the japanese empire.

I dont want to say too much and risk getting banned for pointing out the obvious hate and virtrol people have for.....certain protagonist in video games, but its crazy people are still bitching about this. Buy it, or dont buy the game. All of this anti woke crap is just......

Tired Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Based Asmon pointing out the bullshit.

watched enough to see he's on the money regarding the fact that, while various historical characters have had cameo roles, no other assassin's creed game features a protagonist based on an historical character. something that i, an (og) ac fan, weirdly enough had never even considered. so, yeah, ubi's failing to acknowledge that this is completely unprecedented...

Last edited:
“They made a game with one of the protagonists being a black man, so they’re coddling and pampering black people”

What a weird take.

Nobody is teaching schoolchildren that you can backflip off a building and break your fall in 5 inches of hay in a cart.
hmmm, the weirder take is making a game called "Assassin's Creed" and setting it in ancient Japan and making it about samurai and Japanese culture and making the protaganist a black man. But that's just me. And why not do this in any of the earlier games? Or where was the black protaganist in the other X many games? Ohhhh, that's right, it's only in the past 5 or so years that it's en vogue to pander. But sure. Weird take. I'm triggered. Problems solved.

Gambit2483

Anyone remembers how Ubisoft boasted for historical accuracy when they launch the first Assassin's Creed. Time flies.
They also always made sure to never base the MC off of an actual historical person so that this kind of bullshit didn't happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if a certain consulting company thought it would be a "genius idea" to use a real historical person that just happened to be a POC to get those extra DEI points. 🙄

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
hmmm, the weirder take is making a game called "Assassin's Creed" and setting it in ancient Japan and making it about samurai and Japanese culture and making the protaganist a black man. But that's just me. And why not do this in any of the earlier games? Or where was the black protaganist in the other X many games? Ohhhh, that's right, it's only in the past 5 or so years that it's en vogue to pander. But sure. Weird take. I'm triggered. Problems solved.
Japan themselves made multiple games thats based on actual history that were not super accurate.
jeannedarc-1650223686620.jpg

Like it or not devs are allowed to make whatever the fuck they want.

Trilobit

Like it or not devs are allowed to make whatever the fuck they want.

Yeah, which is why I hope more studios start to boycott Sweet Baby Inc and other similar companies. Developers should do the games they want, without concern of overly sensitive people screaming and shouting. Games are creations of art, not scientific accuracy.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Yeah, which is why I hope more studios start to boycott Sweet Baby Inc and other similar companies. Developers should do the games they want, without concern of overly sensitive people screaming and shouting. Games are creations of art, not scientific accuracy.
If devs lose their creative freedom over bunch of angry people on internet then gaming industry is gonna suck. Devs should be allowed make that want to make and consumer you are free to not like it and decide not buy it.

And yet it is the setting and their attention to detail and accuracy within that setting that is one of the complaints people have about the game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

No they just teach you about historical figures and some of the things they did

So as this the first assassins creed to use a historical figure as a protagonist, I wonder why the Japanese government are so concerned about what Ubisoft trys to teach people when their primary source used is a fan fiction by some westerner about a legendary black samurai.

Boss Mog

Basically Ubisoft's version of "Sorry, not sorry". Fuck them. They just shat all over a country's history and culture all for the sake of woke brownie points. Absolutely disgusting. There's no universe in which you create a samurai game set in even a semi-accurate feudal Japan and your protagonist is anything but a Japanese man.

They used to have real historians working on AC games back in the day, now this time, instead of consulting an actual Japanese historian, then hired some mentally ill degenerate LGBTQ+ activist as their "historian". You really can't make this shit up. What an insult to Japanese people.

The talentless people they hired to do designs for the game literally stole swords from One Piece. Probably the AI they used that stole em though.

Even this letter is full of bullshit like "this is a matter a debate and discussion"... No, there's no debate or discussion to be had, Yasuke was never a samurai, this is historical fact.

What would truly be great is if Sony announced Ghost of Tsushima 2 at the September showcase as the finishing blow to this sorry excuse for a samurai game.

Last edited:

Shakka43

The fact that Ubisoft has to make these post makes me sad. People are so childish. Do they though Assassin's creed were history book ?
Since the beginning Assassin's Creed are historical fiction. But suddenly it's a problem if they do not depict a historical character "properly".

Nobody complaint when Leonardo Da Vinci worked with a secret Assassin's guild.

I really don't get all the bad feedback they got because of that.
Don't pretend like they weren't trying to present Yasuke's story as some sort of reality tale before it all blew up in their faces.

Last edited:
Roughly:
AC1- Set in middle east - Play as one
AC2- Set in Italy - Play as Ezio
AC3- Set in America - Play as one
AC4- Set in Pirate world - Play as one, could of been anyone really

AC Unity - Set in France - Play as French Man
AC Syndicate - Set in England - Play as UK siblings

AC Origins - Set in Egypt, Play as Egyptian
AC Valhalla -Set in Viking land- Play as one
AC Odyssey - Set in Greece, play as Greek

AC Japan - Set in Japan: Play as….

Personally I dont care. I dont like the game since Origins gameplay changed. They could of gone with a much more interesting Japanese Sengoku clan character with the usual assassins creed conspiracy esk stories. If the gameplay is different to Origins./Valhala and better combat, I might try it. But Ubisoft is doing this to be controversial, simple
And you forgot about black flag revaluation

it's just silly damage control to hide their hypocritical BS. At first it's "we strive for historical accuracy!!", only to be contradicted with "we picked him because we can use him as a blank slate for our made up story!". Having Yasuke as one of the main protagonists is a poor choice strictly from a story telling perspective. He should've been a side character. It's an stealth game ffs. Being the only black guy in all of Japan is the complete opposite of stealth. And even if you portray him as a samaurai, it still makes little sense because he stands out like a sore thumb. All the civillans would be scared of him because literlly no one has seen a black person before, or even know they exist. People wouldn't show no reactions or bow to him like in the trailers.

As for whether he is a samurai or not, people should watch this:

tl:dr what we perceive as "samurai" today is a romanticized version. During the sengoku period, that term is used very loosely so they don't keep records of who's a samurai or who's not. He was defintely important enough to be kept as retainer and Nobugana trusts him enough to give him some responsibilities.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Assassins Creed - “The Holy Land” modern day Israel - Character: Altaïr Ibn-La’Ahad ( Arabic )
Assassins Creed II - Location: Florence, Italy - Character: Ezio Auditore ( Italian )
Assassins Creed III - Location: Boston, New York, American Colonial Frontier - Character: Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway) ( American )
Assassins Creed IV Black Flag - Location: The Caribbean - Time Period: The Golden Age of Piracy (18th Century) - Character: Edward Kenway ( British )
Assassins Creed Unity - Location: Paris, France - Character: Arno Dorian ( French )
Assassins Creed Origins - Location: Egypt - Character: Bayek of Siwa ( Egyptian )
Assassin Creed Odyssey - Location: Greece - Character: Kassandra/Alexios ( Greeks )
Assassins Creed Valhalla - Location: Norway/England - Character: Eivor (Scandinavian )

U see, every other AC game has a main character that depicted the time period and ethinic location of the game, now lets see what is happening to AC Shadows.

Assassin Creed Shadows- Location: Sengoku Japan - Character: Some African dude.

and ppl still dont know why the backlash.

There are two protagonists in this game, one of which is Japanese.

Again, this is a sci-fi setting. Being historically accurate doesn't matter when your game series is sci-fi/fantasy. It's like me being upset at the Bladestorm series because it wasn't an accurate depiction of the Hundred Years War.

I know people are upset the male protagonist isn't Japanese, but he isn't some random made up nobody. He's a real figure from Japanese history, so what's the issue?

It's not as if Samurai games don't exist with Japanese protagonists.

People are making a mountain out of a molehill over this one.

Ozriel

M$FT

Aren’t there TWO protagonists? One of which happens to be fully Japanese?

Any reason why you lot are pretending she doesn’t exist?

Feels like Resetera level outrage from you lot, tbh. Don’t buy it if you’re so pressed.

Mercador

You mean this game? lol. Being inaccurate is like the entire foundation of series.

If I remember correctly, they had historians on board for accuracy. But that might be simply PR stuff. I remember something about crossbow but that's being way too far in my memory.

I haven't been following this much in detail. Did Ubisoft basically decide to make a Japanese Assassin's Creed game and not include a Japanese male samurai character in the game? And instead they added a Japanese woman, I would imagine, and a black man for some reason?

I also assume they blamed everyone else when Gamers started criticizing?

And I guess now they're getting criticized directly by Japanese Gamers and the responded with this pathetic reply?

Is that basically it? What a bunch of woke clowns. Sugar Baby Inc is involved, I would imagine?

Trilobit

Feels like Resetera level outrage from you lot, tbh. Don’t buy it if you’re so pressed.

I never play as female characters so she doesn't matter to me.

Danjin44

Name one that has historical accuracy pretension.
You can look my avatar. Jeann D’arc game based on actual history event but with bunch of fantasy elements. The game still takes places actual history, France is fighting English in 100 year war with actual historical figure like Jeann herself and prince Charles but the game also has demons, magic, super powers, elves and Beast races.

Barakov

Just shows you how tone deaf the devs of this game and Ubisoft as a whole are. They're free to make the game the and put whatever they want in but they should drop the historically accurate angle they seem to be touting. This game wears its' DEI/Woke elements on on it's sleeve.

Just say "hey, we're loosing basing this on history and we're putting in things we think are cool." That sounds better than the 4 jpegs they put out that sound more like a 'fuck you' than any sort of a apology.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I mean, I don't see what the big deal is as they always play within the space between fantasy and history.

Last edited:

TheTurboFD

They only care about “authenticity” when the main character is black or a woman. Anything involving them gets turned into “DEI” or “Woke”. Resetera in the making but of the opposite views.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I can accept they wanted to handle Yasuke in their own way. They have already used other historical figures in the past anyway.
Imagine doing damage control for people whose only opposition to your game, is their discomfort with them darker shade folks...
Ubisoft's fuck up is that outside of the context of the game they made the claim that it's a histircal fact that Yasuke is a Samurai, and now they cleared that up since most evidence says he wasn't.There have a lot of people taking the "historical" part of AC to seriuously, but also a lot of peeople claiming that Yasuke was 100% a samuai and if you disagree you're racist.

Thought this black guy in Japan turned out to be hogwash?
Not at all, He was in Japan, and people/Nobunaga thought he was amazing simply for his physique and actually being good at speaking Japanese, so he lived in Nobunagas castle for about 2 years and was at a pretty key event.

Tams

Japan does it all the time and I don’t mind that all, its a fucking video game. 90% game that are baes on history rarely accurate to actual history.

The main issue is why they did this. It was DEI. Ubi released multiple videos pushing this.

Plus, they misread their audience very badly.

Those Japanese games? They didn't try to tell their audience why they should care, it was just because the developers thought it was fun and cool. And they knew their audience wanted that.

Top Bottom