• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Assassin's Creed Shadows team has a message for our Japanese community

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The main issue is why they did this. It was DEI. Ubi released multiple videos pushing this.

Plus, they misread their audience very badly.

Those Japanese games? They didn't try to tell their audience why they should care, it was just because the developers thought it was fun and cool. And they knew their audience wanted that.
I personally don’t care what’s the reasoning is heck I might even fucking their reasoning but at end of the day thats their game they should be free to do what they want.

As consumer I have every right to not like it and don’t buy it but I HATE the idea devs not allowed to make what they want because of angry people on internet, I despise that.

No matter their reason, crappy or not they should be 100% allowed to make what they want…..I will always stand behind devs creative freedom, without that gaming industry is finished.

Eiknarf

Banned
I personally don’t care what’s the reasoning is heck I might even fucking their reasoning but at end of the day thats their game they should be free to do what they want.

As consumer I have every right to not like it and don’t buy it but I HATE the idea devs not allowed to make what they want because of angry people on internet, I despise that.

No matter their reason, crappy or not they should be 100% allowed to make what they want…..I will always stand behind devs creative freedom, without that gaming industry is finished.
Everything you said rings true… unless it’s forced DEI

Tams

Well, they've made it so...

Anyway, the unfavourable attention seems like it has also attracted the attention of copyright holders. Japan takes that very seriously, so that might actually mean the game won't go on sale in Japan, lol.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

You think its all up to the devs? Its up to whomever invested the money. Ubisoft has always been on the brink of financial disaster... even when they were doing great lol.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Will they adress copy pasting stuff and selling it as collectors item?

lol

I see you have never seen concept art before. This is like how most concept art is made, its created for the general direction of the game and the other artist use it to get an idea of the art they will create or a theme, look etc. So concept artist take from all sorts of sources, what you are showing here isn't some wild revelation, it just means you are unaware of how thats done lol
How come Ubisoft and its defenders are pulling this argument only now
? huh? Buddy, we've been saying this for the longest time lol Its a series with monsters, time travel and the Pope is out here with powers and Leonardo da Vinci is some assassin , its fake...its fictional, that in'st a fucking clam happening today sir, you can literally look at the very orginal reveal trailer where many of us stated the same thing in that thread.

So the idea of saying he is a samurai is already based on shit the Japanese themselves support as most of the manga and anime and games about him as a samurai come from Japan

Ubisoft saying he is a samurai, even if it wasn't true would still fit the fictional history stuff they do, the fucking POPE DOENS'T HAVE FUCKING POWERS, that wasn't a fucking claim of some historical fact, none of us on here ever argued that Ubisoft was making some claim then, why is it suddenly um "only now" you are acting as if any of this was argued to be a documentary or historical fact type thing?

For all you know, ending of the game Yasuke is found out to be sent from Italy to do some Assassin Templar shit or some dumb crap lol

regardless, the whole theme of the game is this idea of this lost history or secret history etc
Would the example of Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry work better for you then?

A game where the protagonist is freeing black people from slavery except this time the protagonist isnt black but asian.

ZjTaeJg.png

Would that be cause enough for an uproar "my g" or since it's a work of fiction as you say we should let it slide cuz it ain't "real"?

Look, this is a good example to show that we are not really as outraged as many seem to try to force with Shadow's btw, but in AC Freedom Cry and ACIV, I'm sorry we didn't have some massive threads talking about characters in the game literally not being the race of the actual setting, I don't recall anyone making a massive deal out of that.

Regardless, this wouldn't be some big uproar anyway because indeed, it is a work of fiction, its fake. They are not making any massive claim about much tbh as too much of this series is fake.

So to Black_Stride Black_Stride point, Black Panther is a work of fiction, but I don't see AC Freedom Cry as something they'd be offended by and make a "uproar" over lol

Even as a black male, nothing in AC Freedom Cry or ACIV or RDR1 or RDR2 or really any game in those settings offends me as when have you seen me or other members ever make some massive deal about those games? I'd argue I'm more mad they didn't go far enough lol

I felt RDR2, it was like the ABC and Hallmark version of the west lol I'm ok with them using the N-word, I'm ok with them bringing up slavery and a bunch of other topics, thats like saying I'm offended by Roots or The Color Purple lol Its almost as if Rockstar was trying so hard not to offended, they created this almost cartoon version of the west lol
s my point is there would be an uproar just the same....
LOL huh? Sir, there wasn't one then, there isn't one now.

We even brought up ACIV literally having a character that is Welsh, in Caribbeans..... No outrage, no petition, no 5 page thread

Not everyone is outraged over fake games man lol I'm telling you this as someone who is Haitian and who likes ACIV, its a fucking video game....
It's understandable why the japanese feel like this.
lol it was the number 1 pre-ordered game on Amazon JP when it was opened up for pre-order.

Lets go with actual real metrics that make sense man, most don't care to the degree some of you hope regarding "uproar" or outrage, even when I put myself in their place (which several times has occurred) and none of it is enough for some "outrage" or "uproar" as its a fake game...

https://www.spieltimes.com/news/assassins-creed-shadows-tops-amazon-japan-ps5-best-sellers/
Assassins Creed IV Black Flag - Location: The Caribbean - Time Period: The Golden Age of Piracy (18th Century) - Character: Edward Kenway ( British )
lol

Yasuke factually was black though, factually went to Japan and Africans existed in Japan during this period. So the ACIV argument is basically this.. Someone from a different place goes to a different place...

^ What do you think is happening here? lol

Its the same argument bud, if anything you've provided that this idea of the main character being from another place isn't unusual in the AC series.

Note. He is not the FIRST black person in Japan. That was already happening by the time he got there.

Danjin44

think its all up to the devs? Its up to whomever invested the money. Ubisoft has always been on the brink of financial disaster... even when they were doing great lol.
I don’t know I’m not in their work place to see how they go about making creative decisions. There is also possibility the devs themselves want the game this way, even if I hate reason behind it but thats their choice.

Same way Yoko Taro puts sexy design in his game because he likes it Ubisoft devs also allowed to do what they want regardless others agree or not.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The main issue is why they did this. It was DEI. Ubi released multiple videos pushing this.

Or maybe they just thought making a story with a black samurai - using a figure that actually existed in that era - would be cool.

Everything you said rings true… unless it’s forced DEI

Some grifter pushed this shit on Twitter and now you can’t go into any thread without someone shouting about how anything they don’t understand is DEI.

Well, they've made it so...

Anyway, the unfavourable attention seems like it has also attracted the attention of copyright holders. Japan takes that very seriously, so that might actually mean the game won't go on sale in Japan, lol.

Preorders looked good on Amazon JP, and you’d have to be delusional to imagine this wouldn’t be on sale in Japan.

Outside this bubble of offended reactions, it’ll probably do quite well. The AC games sell well, and people like shit set in Japan.

This may well end up like Hogwarts Legacy, except it’ll be some people here grinding their teeth.

killatopak

Gold Member
Ubisoft saw Netflix being sued by Egypt for a billion dollars and still pushed through. Dunno what they were thinking pushing this as historical on the stage when they announced the game and on the rest of their marketing campaign.

This topic has been popping up on my youtube feed recently. Even saw an actual Japanese guy tell the reasoning of Japan why him being a samurai isn’t the case. The most concrete one seems to be all Samurai are granted a last name before being inducted as one. Yasuke has none.

Unlike Cleopatra yaskue actually existed
Ubisoft saw Netflix being sued by Egypt for a billion dollars and still pushed through. Dunno what they were thinking pushing this as historical on the stage when they announced the game and on the rest of their marketing campaign.

This topic has been popping up on my youtube feed recently. Even saw an actual Japanese guy tell the reasoning of Japan why him being a samurai isn’t the case. The most concrete one seems to be all Samurai are granted a last name before being inducted as one. Yasuke has none.

agreed. personally, i won't be getting the game because it involves playing a warrior, & i'm not really crazy about the recent combat-heavy 'ac 2.0' games...

my problem with ubi's statement is this:
from its inception, the series has taken creative licence & incorporated fantasy elements to craft engaging & immersive experiences. the representation of yasuke in our game is an illustration of this. his unique & mysterious life made him an ideal candidate to tell an assassin's creed story with the setting of feudal Japan as a backdrop...
ubi's being disingenuous here. while the first sentence is correct, the second is not. the representation of yasuke in the game, as the protagonist, is not an illustration of what they've done in the past. it's actually a break with the past: yasuke as the protagonist is the first time that the protagonist has been based on an actual person. it's a level of creative licence they've never taken before, & never've had to. previously, yasuke would've been a walk-on cameo, like da vinci or dickens. if they'd wanted a protagonist with a 'unique & mysterious life'? they'd've simply made'm up, as always...

ubi's free to do, & say, whatever they want. but they can also choose to either be up-front or deceptive. & here, they're being deceptive. do what you please. but be honest about what you're doing...

You can look my avatar. Jeann D’arc game based on actual history event but with bunch of fantasy elements. The game still takes places actual history, France is fighting English in 100 year war with actual historical figure like Jeann herself and prince Charles but the game also has demons, magic, super powers, elves and Beast races.

But these devs don't mean to be featured in any history lesson at Japanese high schools. It's the audacity of Ubisoft that is rubbing people the wrong way.

This is the same as the recent case of the movie Napoleon, a good example of Hollywood's manipulation of history. Unlike Gladiator (which no sane person takes seriously) Ridley Scott tried to make people believe that his depiction of Napoleon was factually true, pissing off any literate historian.

Both Ubisoft and Ridley Scott acted in bad faith with the only intention of manipulating the audience and that's why they are criticized.

killatopak

Gold Member
Unlike Cleopatra yaskue actually existed
😂

Cleopatra has more history than Yasuke. She’s as real as it gets. Yasuke has a page or two in historical japanese texts. The book that everyone cites about his tales was all about assumptions and conjectures made by an American associate professor in Japan and has been fired once wind of this issue came out. His source was that it came from his dreams.

ZehDon

With Japanese politicians now taking notice, I can only imagine what their legal team is saying if they're scrambling to justify their own creative decisions. Sounds like they're trying to get ahead of whatever they see coming.

Out of curiosity - have Ubisoft ever released pre-launch statements to explain their creative decisions before?

But what about Connor being there during the signing of the declaration of independence?
/s
I swear to God, anytime I see people getting outraged over video game protagonists I always imagine that those people sit behind their monitor like this:

Last edited:

Danjin44

ubi's free to do, & say, whatever they want. but they can also choose to either be up-front or deceptive. & here, they're being deceptive. do what you please. but be honest about what you're doing...
That I agree, even with Jeann D' Arc game they were very much honest about "history meets fantasy" from very beginning.

Last edited:
That I agree, even with Jeann D' Arc game they were very much honest about "history meets fantasy" from very beginning.
i mean, think about it: suppose previous games'd featured young ben franklin, or young charles dickens, running along rooftops & swooping down & assassinating people. besides the kinda horrible character defamation involved, i'm not sure i'd've ever played the games because the premise was just so inherently moronic. having yasuke in the game, in the manner he's being employed, is, in many ways, more disrespectful than simply leaving him out...

EDMIX

AC2- Set in Italy - Play as Ezio
AC3- Set in America - Play as one
AC4- Set in Pirate world - Play as one, could of been anyone really

AC Unity - Set in France - Play as French Man
AC Syndicate - Set in England - Play as UK sibling

lol my fucking god, I've never seen such a funny attempt at trying to hide, cover up and steer away from a point in my life.

You mean, set in the Caribbean? Where you play....a Welsh man?

How come you didn't fucking say the place or the race regarding that one bud? Its funny cause you can see the hamster wheels turning and its like "Set in France, play as a Frenchmen, Set in England, play as UK folks, Set in Carrib....um.......give me a sec, oh....oh god" lol

Look, I don't know if you meant it as a joke and its satire, but I find it odd that the location of the Caribbean is now "Pirate World" and the race is now" well, really could been anyone really"

We can easily say the same thing here in Japan. "set in World of Samurai" and "could been anyone really as factually Africans existed in Japan then" If we can stretch that imagination with ACIV, I don't get the issue folks are trying to force with Shadows and its even more sad when you have people trying to hide that ACIV's exact thing fits Shadows lol Its like, you are aware of this...
But what about Connor being there during the singing of the declaration of independence?
/s
I swear to God, anytime I see people getting outraged over video game protagonists I always imagine that those people sit behind their monitor like this:

lol pretty much.

We've had characters from all over the world in games from settings clearly they did not originate from that didn't have threads going this long crying about it lol At this point, I don't buy that its cause they care about Japan or care about representation or any of that shit

I don't recall much about ACIV questioning why a Welsh person was in the Caribbeans or NiOh having a white main character or really any of that shit, we understand its fake, its a game, yet suddenly, with this its a "history lesson" and "derrrrr outzRaGez" and the more they cry about it, the more sus it becomes.

Those same members better keep the same fucking energy when some game comes out and its in another part of the world, yet the character isn't from that country as it seems MANY have cherry picked when they want to be "hurt" by this lol

Agreed. Japan loves doing that shit lol Be like "ok here is how Napoleon built a Mech to stop Japan all while maintaining a relationship as a teenager in rural Japan where his parents left him a home while they traveled abroad" lol

Its like, we get it...its fake. So much of what Japan does with those figures is completely understood that its not a real actual historical claim, that I find it funny this person being a Samurai is where they draw the line and that seems to be the general idea historically anyway regarding him (not 9 feel tall jacked Napoleon building mechs) lol

Wait till they find out about Record of Ragnarok lol

Z6VGn5.gif

it makes you wonder, how come Japan can do this and you and I don't bat an eye, yet anywhere else this is done and its a conspiracy to take over the world lol

lol my fucking god, I've never seen such a funny attempt at trying to hide, cover up and steer away from a point in my life.

You mean, set in the Caribbean? Where you play....a Welsh man?

How come you didn't fucking say the place or the race regarding that one bud? Its funny cause you can see the hamster wheels turning and its like "Set in France, play as a Frenchmen, Set in England, play as UK folks, Set in Carrib....um.......give me a sec, oh....oh god" lol

Look, I don't know if you meant it as a joke and its satire, but I find it odd that the location of the Caribbean is now "Pirate World" and the race is now" well, really could been anyone really"

We can easily say the same thing here in Japan. "set in World of Samurai" and "could been anyone really as factually Africans existed in Japan then" If we can stretch that imagination with ACIV, I don't get the issue folks are trying to force with Shadows and its even more sad when you have people trying to hide that ACIV's exact thing fits Shadows lol Its like, you are aware of this...

lol pretty much.

We've had characters from all over the world in games from settings clearly they did not originate from that didn't have threads going this long crying about it lol At this point, I don't buy that its cause they care about Japan or care about representation or any of that shit

I don't recall much about ACIV questioning why a Welsh person was in the Caribbeans or NiOh having a white main character or really any of that shit, we understand its fake, its a game, yet suddenly, with this its a "history lesson" and "derrrrr outzRaGez" and the more they cry about it, the more sus it becomes.

Those same members better keep the same fucking energy when some game comes out and its in another part of the world, yet the character isn't from that country as it seems MANY have cherry picked when they want to be "hurt" by this lol

Agreed. Japan loves doing that shit lol Be like "ok here is how Napoleon built a Mech to stop Japan all while maintaining a relationship as a teenager in rural Japan where his parents left him a home while they traveled abroad" lol

Its like, we get it...its fake. So much of what Japan does with those figures is completely understood that its not a real actual historical claim, that I find it funny this person being a Samurai is where they draw the line and that seems to be the general idea historically anyway regarding him (not 9 feel tall jacked Napoleon building mechs) lol

Wait till they find out about Record of Ragnarok lol

Z6VGn5.gif

it makes you wonder, how come Japan can do this and you and I don't bat an eye, yet anywhere else this is done and its a conspiracy to take over the world lol
Well there are verifiable Welsh pirates in the Caribbean at that time

EDMIX

Well there are verifiable Welsh pirates in the Caribbean at that time

I know, I'm making a point.

We can verify this, it makes sense and one can make a game about 1 of those pirates.

Just like there are verifiable black people in Japan during this time.

Keep in mind, if Ubisoft made it some random black person, people would argue its some agenda thing and be like "Why didn't they make him Yasuke, instead they use a random person cause agenda"

Uses a know figure - "OMG HOW COULD YOU UBISOFT" lol

Regardless, we understood ACIV was a work of fiction and the existence of the character in that area was not a argument about all people in that area being that. I'm 99.9999% sure folks can understand this with Shadows.

T4keD0wN T4keD0wN lol THANK YOU! That is why folks are quite about ACIV and NioH and lots of games. Its like they don't want to bring up that this has occurred without the outrage to cherry pick this game.

Lokaum D+

lol

Yasuke factually was black though, factually went to Japan and Africans existed in Japan during this period. So the ACIV argument is basically this.. Someone from a different place goes to a different place...
i thought u couldn't be more imbecile that u already are, oh boy, i was wrong.

a LOT of well known pirates were Europeans ur imbecile.

Last edited:
Similar to how Yasuke was verifiably in Japan?
Yes, he was, but as far as I know he wasn't verified as a Samurai.

Look, Ubisoft are welcome to have characters of whatever race they want in their games.

It's just if you roll through their different entries the main characters all seem to make sense for the setting ... then you get to this one and they throw in African samurai based on a few lines from an old diary.

It's not hard to surmise that they wanted some 'inclusivity' and his existence of an African man in Japan gave them the perfect opportunity. But it does seem at odds with how they've treated other entries.

I know, I'm making a point.

We can verify this, it makes sense and one can make a game about 1 of those pirates.

Just like there are verifiable black people in Japan during this time.

Keep in mind, if Ubisoft made it some random black person, people would argue its some agenda thing and be like "Why didn't they make him Yasuke, instead they use a random person cause agenda"

Uses a know figure - "OMG HOW COULD YOU UBISOFT" lol

Regardless, we understood ACIV was a work of fiction and the existence of the character in that area was not a argument about all people in that area being that. I'm 99.9999% sure folks can understand this with Shadows.

T4keD0wN T4keD0wN lol THANK YOU! That is why folks are quite about ACIV and NioH and lots of games. Its like they don't want to bring up that this has occurred without the outrage to cherry pick this game.
And I think that was their undoing on this one. They knew it would draw community push back because let's be honest an African smurai is not the first thing that comes to mind when you think about playing a samurai in an old Japanese setting and so tried to back it up with historical evidence. It's just that when that fell apart they seem to have been caught with their pants down.

EDMIX

i thought u couldn't be more imbecile that u already are, oh boy, i was wrong.

a LOT of well known pirates were Europeans ur imbecile.

? smh, whats with the name calling and personal attacks?

My comment is not debating pirates being from Europe, my point literally is agreeing that they went from one place, to another place....JUST like in AC Shadows lol

its a person that came from another place, in the setting of a different place.

Not everyone is fighting with you man lol Nothing in my comment attacks you, insults you or anything odd like that, merely pointing out we understand Pirates exist from different places and went to a place they are not originally from, we can understand AC Shadows as its a person going to a country they are not originally from, that factually went to said country, where at the time many from Africa were in Japan.

I don't even get why that statement is something to be outraged over and i don't get why you and others tried to gloss over that similarity lol

T4keD0wN

His status of samurai is uncertain and debateable, thats true, not like it matters that much since games are fiction, they shouldnt try to push him as a samurai in real-life, merely as a samurai in their game.

But this isnt the first video game depiction of the character, the developers of Koei Tecmo published games Samurai Warriors 5 and Nioh have decided to call him an obsidian samurai in their games. Lack of information about the character allows for some story flexibility which should in theory make for a better game provided that their writers are good (obviously a completely fictional character, which is the way id personally go would be even better, but that doesnt matter since its not the way theyve decided to go)

Plus if Ubisoft didnt depict him as a samurai and had the player defeat prominent warriors (bosses) which is pretty much guaranteed in an action game it would not only look much less plausible, it would also feel more disrespectful to those who care about that stuff.

Lokaum D+

? smh, whats with the name calling and personal attacks?

My comment is not debating pirates being from Europe, my point literally is agreeing that they went from one place, to another place....JUST like in AC Shadows lol

its a person that came from another place, in the setting of a different place.

Not everyone is fighting with you man lol Nothing in my comment attacks you, insults you or anything odd like that, merely pointing out we understand Pirates exist from different places and went to a place they are not originally from, we can understand AC Shadows as its a person going to a country they are not originally from, that factually went to said country, where at the time many from Africa were in Japan.

I don't even get why that statement is something to be outraged over and i don't get why you and others tried to gloss over that similarity lol
nlxR2vW.jpeg

james franco sandwich GIF

Yeah, I understand he's been featured in other games, etc.

And as I said, Ubisoft are welcome to make a game about whatever characters they want.

It just seemed a bit out of place given they usually try to stick with history-adjacent characters, and as I said above, when you think Assassins Creed game set in Samurai Japan, you don't think African Samurai.

As I mentioned above, I think it's pretty clear to understand why they wanted to include him as a character and this tricky situation they've found themselves in is because of their attempts to justify it with historical certainty.

EDMIX

And I think that was their undoing on this one. They knew it would draw community push back because let's be honest an African smurai is not the first thing that comes to mind when you think about playing a samurai in an old Japanese setting and so tried to back it up with historical evidence. It's just that when that fell apart they seem to have been caught with their pants down.

Well...I don't know if any of that matters. First, they don't need to really prove anything as its not like they needed to prove the Pope had powers or Da Vinci was an assassin or the ACIV character existed or not or anything weird like that, so saying the first thing that comes to mind when we think of this period of Japan isn't a African person is no different then saying thinking of the Caribbean doesn't make me think of a Welsh person

The claim was never that all of Japan is that
Just as the claim was never that the Caribbean people are Welsh

It means within context we get how that character is coming to be in a work of fiction and that should be more then enough, this is a video game after all, its not a history book.

So if he was a samurai or not shouldn't even be a debate, was a it a debate that the Pope had powers? Or Monsters are real? or Da Vinci an assassin?

It just seemed a bit out of place given they usually try to stick with history-adjacent characters,
I agree, but we've seen a few times where the main character isn't from the setting of the location.

i'm ok with them going against the grain on this and I'd argue the fact that so many Samurai games play it say, they are right to go a different direction. I'm sure we'll get another Yakuza time period thing or Ronin 2, Ghost 2 etc Why make the same trope if they already see thats been played out? So as someone that plays all those games like Sekiro, Ghost Of Tsushima, Tenchu, Onimusha etc I'm completely fine with a different thing vs the same trope repeated.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
now I kinda want them to make an official mainline AC set in ancient China, or better yet, China during the 1950s~60s, just to see the shit storm that's guarantee to happen. yes I know there was a Chinese one. but it wasn't a mainline title so it doesn't really count.

EDMIX

now I kinda want them to make an official mainline AC set in ancient China, or better yet, China during the 1950s~60s, just to see the shit storm that's guarantee to happen. yes I know there was a Chinese one. but it wasn't a mainline title so it doesn't really count.

I mean, it depends, how many times have they returned to a location? They can do a lot with China

Well...I don't know if any of that matters. First, they don't need to really prove anything as its not like they needed to prove the Pope had powers or Da Vinci was an assassin or the ACIV character existed or not or anything weird like that, so saying the first thing that comes to mind when we think of this period of Japan isn't a African person is no different then saying thinking of the Caribbean doesn't make me think of a Welsh person

The claim was never that all of Japan is that
Just as the claim was never that the Caribbean people are Welsh

It means within context we get how that character is coming to be in a work of fiction and that should be more then enough, this is a video game after all, its not a history book.

So if he was a samurai or not shouldn't even be a debate, was a it a debate that the Pope had powers? Or Monsters are real? or Da Vinci an assassin?

I agree, but we've seen a few times where the main character isn't from the setting of the location.

i'm ok with them going against the grain on this and I'd argue the fact that so many Samurai games play it say, they are right to go a different direction. I'm sure we'll get another Yakuza time period thing or Ronin 2, Ghost 2 etc Why make the same trope if they already see thats been played out? So as someone that plays all those games like Sekiro, Ghost Of Tsushima, Tenchu, Onimusha etc I'm completely fine with a different thing vs the same trope repeated.
They don't need to prove anything, but it seems like they were presenting it as fact to strengthen their decision.

I mean it is a different take. But I would argue if they felt there are so many samurai games and needed something fresh, perhaps a different setting would have been a better option.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I mean, it depends, how many times have they returned to a location? They can do a lot with China

oh, there's SO much possibilities on this. China had been through so many dynasties you can easily pick one, do some digging and get plenty of content out of it. Qin, Han, Three Kingdoms, Tang, Yuang, Ming, Qing, Republic, CCP. pick anyone of them and dig into it, you'll find a treasure trove worth of content from them. of course, then you will have to deal with the Little Pinks and maybe even CCP themselves. now THAT would be a real shit storm.

EDMIX

I think the point was about whether he was a samurai or not. They didn't just pluck a Welsh pirate out of the air because someone mentioned there was a welsh guy in the Carribean around that time ... or maybe they did, who knows.
True, but with the AC IP, that should have never been debated in the first place. Maybe there was some Welsh pirate, maybe not, but we understand it was a work of fiction and the reality that pirates existed opened that door to create that type of historical fiction.

The same can be done here. They can just say he is REALLY part of the templars and his missionary stuff is really about their whole Assassination thing or something. This is like Paul Revere in AC3, take the historical figure, exaggerate some shit annnnnnd fiction lol or Da Vinci, as in take a know person annnnnd has an assassin now FOR THE CREED lol

So I feel it should have never been debated here, the publisher may just be aiming at the series making fictional stuff or simply using the data from Japan about this person, as even Japan fucking makes shit about this man like Anime, Manga, Shows, Documentaries etc so, I don't know why that was debated for this game, yet ignored for all those other works in Japan.
They don't need to prove anything, but it seems like they were presenting it as fact to strengthen their decision.

I mean it is a different take. But I would argue if they felt there are so many samurai games and needed something fresh, perhaps a different setting would have been a better option.

Well, many historians provide enough to say he was a samurai regarding what he was doing and what was done for him. A home, stipend, battles etc, these are things only Samurai really did, so I can see why they would side with what is stated regarding him, but I don't think their choice 100% would ever even rely on that, consider they've turned people into soldiers, Assassins, , given people powers and all sorts of shit so why would any of this being true or not stop them from having the character in a video game?

When has the factual history of any character determined them being in this series? I'm not saying this to be a bitch btw, I want to know where are people getting that it MUST BE this in order to be in this game, cause the IP has never made any statements about only having historical characters that do this or that to be in the game or something.

Da Vinci was an artist and inventor, they turned dude into a killer lol Pope was out here blessing people (Ubisoft was like, ok give this dude some fucking powers) lol If anything, they have a long history of take a figure and adding fictional elements.

So if the samurai part to them is historical as fact, it is to many as based on his existence in so man Japanese works , if its fictional to them, well who cares, that is what they do with this iP.

Regardless, I don't see how proving it or debating it or anything like that would really be needed by the publisher.

They've never made some rule with the IP that would suggest it was ever really that important to begin with. I'd argue that entire thing was argued by many on here and online more then it was ever some Ubisoft Rule or something.

oh, there's SO much possibilities on this. China had been through so many dynasties you can easily pick one, do some digging and get plenty of content out of it. Qin, Han, Three Kingdoms, Tang, Yuang, Ming, Qing, Republic, CCP. pick anyone of them and dig into it, you'll find a treasure trove worth of content from them. of course, then you will have to deal with the Little Pinks and maybe even CCP themselves. now THAT would be a real shit storm.

Look here, I need them doing Curse Of The Golden Flower things and you scaling some big ass wall to do a kill lol

aab14c1a2d59b63fbf0886d75c7405ea47c20fa6.gif

Spacefish

Pretty good summary of Tom Lockleys behaviour. Regardless what you think about assassins creed everyone should agree the guy is a total snake, Ubisoft hitched their wagon to his bullshit because they saw a "golden" opportunity for diversity and couldn't held themselves. The result is now yasuke is a completely discredited figure in japan, he probably wont even appear in Japanese fiction because of how toxic the name is, japan is pissed off and suspicious of foreigners for what they see as historical revisionism and cultural disrespect, black people think this is purely a racist overreaction and have concluded everyone hates them for no reason and the push for racial harmony is now associated with scam artists like Thomas Lockley and sweet baby, handing ever more power to actual racists in the west.

Congratulations to the culture warriors at Ubisoft, yet again you have achieved the exact opposite of what you claim to want because of how stupid and incompetent you are.

FeralEcho

lol

I see you have never seen concept art before. This is like how most concept art is made, its created for the general direction of the game and the other artist use it to get an idea of the art they will create or a theme, look etc. So concept artist take from all sorts of sources, what you are showing here isn't some wild revelation, it just means you are unaware of how thats done lol

? huh? Buddy, we've been saying this for the longest time lol Its a series with monsters, time travel and the Pope is out here with powers and Leonardo da Vinci is some assassin , its fake...its fictional, that in'st a fucking clam happening today sir, you can literally look at the very orginal reveal trailer where many of us stated the same thing in that thread.

So the idea of saying he is a samurai is already based on shit the Japanese themselves support as most of the manga and anime and games about him as a samurai come from Japan

Ubisoft saying he is a samurai, even if it wasn't true would still fit the fictional history stuff they do, the fucking POPE DOENS'T HAVE FUCKING POWERS, that wasn't a fucking claim of some historical fact, none of us on here ever argued that Ubisoft was making some claim then, why is it suddenly um "only now" you are acting as if any of this was argued to be a documentary or historical fact type thing?

For all you know, ending of the game Yasuke is found out to be sent from Italy to do some Assassin Templar shit or some dumb crap lol

regardless, the whole theme of the game is this idea of this lost history or secret history etc

Look, this is a good example to show that we are not really as outraged as many seem to try to force with Shadow's btw, but in AC Freedom Cry and ACIV, I'm sorry we didn't have some massive threads talking about characters in the game literally not being the race of the actual setting, I don't recall anyone making a massive deal out of that.

Regardless, this wouldn't be some big uproar anyway because indeed, it is a work of fiction, its fake. They are not making any massive claim about much tbh as too much of this series is fake.

So to Black_Stride Black_Stride point, Black Panther is a work of fiction, but I don't see AC Freedom Cry as something they'd be offended by and make a "uproar" over lol

Even as a black male, nothing in AC Freedom Cry or ACIV or RDR1 or RDR2 or really any game in those settings offends me as when have you seen me or other members ever make some massive deal about those games? I'd argue I'm more mad they didn't go far enough lol

I felt RDR2, it was like the ABC and Hallmark version of the west lol I'm ok with them using the N-word, I'm ok with them bringing up slavery and a bunch of other topics, thats like saying I'm offended by Roots or The Color Purple lol Its almost as if Rockstar was trying so hard not to offended, they created this almost cartoon version of the west lol

LOL huh? Sir, there wasn't one then, there isn't one now.

We even brought up ACIV literally having a character that is Welsh, in Caribbeans..... No outrage, no petition, no 5 page thread

Not everyone is outraged over fake games man lol I'm telling you this as someone who is Haitian and who likes ACIV, its a fucking video game....
Maybe read my post again.... I said "IF" Freedom Cry had an asian protagonist instead of a black one and the asian was the one freeing the slaves.

Also for what is worth I don't really care about what's happening with AC Shadows, I'm still gonna play it(when its 10$ lol) but from the japanese side I understand WHY they are upset.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Maybe read my post again.... I said "IF" Freedom Cry had an asian protagonist instead of a black one and the asian was the one freeing the slaves.

Also for what is worth I don't really care about what's happening with AC, I'm still gonna play it but from the japanese side I understand WHY they are upset.

Sure, but I still wouldn't care... ACIV was literally in the Caribbeans and as a Haitian, its like like I got offended I was playing someone that wasn't from the islands. So, I don't really care as this is a work of fiction, but if you'd get upset over something like that, well I can't tell you how to feel you know.

So I just don't really see the outrage and the fact that opened its pre-orders to number 1 on Amazon JP suggest majority even there don't care about this fake outrage. Look at the whole Far Cry 5 thing, I'm sure someone can be upset over it, but we also got lots of "bad actors" that basically used that game as some culture war thing that maybe had no intention of even buying it or something and the sales never even reflected anyone remotely actually being hurt or upset or nothing like that.

We saw that with Battlefront, people made it sound like Disney / EA having Star Wars was upsetting them soooooo much and the game went on to break so many records (it might still be best selling Star Wars Game)

Either way, its hard to tell what is legit, upset, outrage and what is just some fake shit for attention regarding something outside of gaming. Nothing against you if you really would be upset by some of this btw

Doom85

japan is pissed off and suspicious of foreigners for what they see as historical revisionism and cultural disrespect, black people think this is purely a racist overreaction and have concluded everyone hates them for no reason and the push for racial harmony is now associated with scam artists like Thomas Lockley and sweet baby, handing ever more power to actual racists in the west.

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden
Shocked Eddie Murphy GIF
Awkward Season 2 GIF by The Office
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

A black person is one of TWO playable characters in a video game series that revises history so it includes Illumaniti-level conspiracy, magical Pope, Medusa, and Valhalla as an actual place…..and you can survive a fall from a thousand feet up by landing in some hay.

CALM
THE
FUCK
DOWN.

You’re going to outdo the RE 5 melodrama at this point. It’s a video game, it’s not about to collapse society, it was stupid when our parents screamed Mortal Kombat was going to do that in the 90’s, and it’s stupid now. In other words:

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Last edited:

demigod

Thomas Lockley, Ubisoft and the rest of their ilk are retarded for conjuring up some mythical black samurai and pushing it as some historical fact.

The japanese are retarded for crying about some black guy in a stupid fantasy game. No I don't feel sorry for them. They live in a secluded bubble.

Whoever decided to give Yasuke that hiphop track is the most retarded of all.
I hope they put hiphop in the end credits for your sake.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Guys , bad news… turns out Kratos wasn’t a real Spartan and didn’t actually become the God of War. Turns out the game was a work of fiction.

Like this one. You guys get so wound up over the dumbest shit and give it a platform to exist. It’s a god damn game. Who cares?

Even if this game was super historically accurate and looked good, you guys would STILL shit on it because it’s Ubisoft.

And you know who cares even less but apparently is whining the loudest? The Japanese gamer. Yeah because Japan loves to buy video games, western made ones at that, for their consoles.

This thread should be a case study of what pure downs looks like without intervention.

Top Bottom