• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerD

I think the pricing on the FR-S shows that it is expensive to make a lightweight sports car that meets all the safety regulations that we have now.

nitewulf

Yeah. Looking at KW2 adjustables. Or a spring+strut combo like Eibach + Koni which a ton of people go for. I just need to decide if I should get the KONI FSD struts (auto dampening technology adjusts on the fly), or the standard KONI adjustable struts.

what's the difference between a coilover and a strut? looks like a coilover is just a spring+strut combination?

I still laugh at the concept that people somehow buy into the whole "no haggle pricing" thing, as though that phrase means something other than "consumer pays more because he is too cowardly to negotiate"

Buying a car is stressful and thinking you didn't get the best deal you could get really sucks. Plus, dealers can easily take advantage of less savvy buyers. And it's a benefit for everyone since you're going into the dealership knowing in advance a) what you're going to pay and b) that the dealer isn't playing any games with you.

Anecdote: I just bought a car the day my last car died and a week before I was going to be going out of state. I paid a little bit more because the dealer could pick up on the clues that I needed the car. I didn't have time for any games so I would have really appreciated a no-haggle price.

Edit: I also didn't have time for a proper inspection beyond crawling under the car with my buddy and doing a thorough test-drive. I just know that's going to bite me in the ass.

J-Rzez

I'm very happy with the price. The only thing I was disappointed in was the power. Ohhhhhh well. I don't care about it that much.
In less than 3 months I will say goodbye to my 370z, and I will welcome the FR-S with as many options as possible.

For the price, I have no idea what everyone complains about. I am very happy with my pre-order. If anything I just wish I could get it in May.

Every reviewer has deemed it the second coming of god in automotive form. These are the same reviewers who don't hesitate to poop on a car during a review if it deserves it.

I don't know what you guys want/expect.

I have no Idea what color to get. I wanted white, but the red that I have seen in pics make the car look so nice.

White
Red
Silver
Asphalt?????

It boils down to what you want, can afford, and if it makes you happy. If you think it's worth the money, then that's all that matters since it is your money. People just have different wants and tastes. I wished for the 2nd coming of Toyota, but they didn't do it for me with this car. But others are interested, so be it. I'll wait on my sweet prince, the MKV Supra to whisk me away some day.

Color wise, from what I've seen of the FR-S, I personally really liked that Blue with the wing and stuff that time. Also, Black looks fantastic and if you're fine with the upkeep, it is the best looking color on any car, period imho. Only thing to challenge it is a "real" Candy Apple Red.

It boils down to what you want, can afford, and if it makes you happy. If you think it's worth the money, then that's all that matters since it is your money. People just have different wants and tastes. I wished for the 2nd coming of Toyota, but they didn't do it for me with this car. But others are interested, so be it. I'll wait on my sweet prince, the MKV Supra to whisk me away some day.

Color wise, from what I've seen of the FR-S, I personally really liked that Blue with the wing and stuff that time. Also, Black looks fantastic and if you're fine with the upkeep, it is the best looking color on any car, period imho. Only thing to challenge it is a "real" Candy Apple Red.

Bahhhhhhh those are the two colors I don't want. Blu just doesn't sit right with me, and black is a lifetime commitment I don't ever want to make again. What would be the 3rd choice?

My 370z is silver, my G35 was Black, I have probably saved at least $1000 in wax jobs by switching to silver. Black is godly at night when its been waxed, but man to fight off those swirls after a couple years is not fun. If I didn't wax the car , it looked dirty even when it was clean.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Buying a car is stressful and thinking you didn't get the best deal you could get really sucks. Plus, dealers can easily take advantage of less savvy buyers. And it's a benefit for everyone since you're going into the dealership knowing in advance a) what you're going to pay and b) that the dealer isn't playing any games with you.

Anecdote: I just bought a car the day my last car died and a week before I was going to be going out of state. I paid a little bit more because the dealer could pick up on the clues that I needed the car. I didn't have time for any games so I would have really appreciated a no-haggle price.

Edit: I also didn't have time for a proper inspection beyond crawling under the car with my buddy and doing a thorough test-drive. I just know that's going to bite me in the ass.

The problem is that its readily apparent that the prices of no haggle dealers is generally the same as regular dealers.

J-Rzez

Bahhhhhhh those are the two colors I don't want. Blu just doesn't sit right with me, and black is a lifetime commitment I don't ever want to make again. What would be the 3rd choice?

My 370z is silver, my G35 was Black, I have probably saved at least $1000 in wax jobs by switching to silver. Black is godly at night when its been waxed, but man to fight off those swirls after a couple years is not fun. If I didn't wax the car , it looked dirty even when it was clean.

Is the red the metallic version on the show car or is it a boring plain red? If it's a nice metallic, go red. If not, go white and get some carbon fiber on there with some special finish wheels to make it pop.

FStop7

Banned
I was wondering earlier today... how come there are no real super cars being built in America? Because I can't come up with anything American that's one the same level as Lamborghini or Ferrari etc. Am I missing something here?

The last one was the Ford GT and it wasn't a big sales hit.

The ZR1 Corvette is actually faster than the Ford GT was but again, $100k+ for a Corvette is off putting.

America has never really had a pure performance brand like Ferrari or Lambo that has endured. Vector tried and failed. But I mean even these days the supercar builders are generally part of larger entities. Ferrari is part of FIAT. Lambo is part of VW/Audi (along with Bentley, Bugatti, and Porsche.)

I don't know where Pagani gets its funding from to remain independent. I know McLaren is backed by Saudi money (Mansour Ojjeh). Koenigsegg comes from a wealthy family and is self funded for now.

Is the red the metallic version on the show car or is it a boring plain red? If it's a nice metallic, go red. If not, go white and get some carbon fiber on there with some special finish wheels to make it pop.

Looks metallic.

2012-03-19_11-35-59_920.jpg

2012-03-19_11-34-31_3.jpg

2012-03-19_11-35-05_555.jpg

Credit for pics go to Titusdrak from the Ft86club.

Er, do you actually know what metallic means? That is not metallic. It is a flat red with no metallic at all.

Yes I do. In the close up it looks metallic to me but I can't tell.

I love this thread and its posters who feel the need to incessantly put people down. Yes we are all stupid except you.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

I love this thread and its posters who feel the need to incessantly put people down. Yes we are all stupid except you.

I'm pretty sure that's grain reflected from the concrete and buildings...

Zyzyxxz

but isn't it directly competing against the MX-5 and and the 2.0T Genesis (and the late RX-8) and not the 370Z or Mustang?

price wise yes but the cheapest convertible being the Mustang at over $27K.

It's still a 2 seater which puts its closest competitor in the roadster category with the 350Z.

Classifications aside some people will sacrifice space and power for a lightweight, RWD, roadster that is affordable and that's probably why the Miata has been around for over 2 decades now.

what's the difference between a coilover and a strut? looks like a coilover is just a spring+strut combination?

KW%20Coils.jpg

Coilovers
spring sits on threaded collars on the sleeve so you can adjust height, load/pre-load, and dampening. And in almost all cases the springs and shocks are tuned in conjunction as a package

handr_cupkit.gif

Strut/Shock & spring combo
fixed height, springs sit on a spring seat. you can pick springs from different manufacturers to go along with the strut/shock. Some dampening adjustments are available depending on manufacturer. You'd have to pick the correct spring rates to whatever shock you want to use.

comparisons:
coilovers4.jpg

Yeah. Looking at KW2 adjustables. Or a spring+strut combo like Eibach + Koni which a ton of people go for. I just need to decide if I should get the KONI FSD struts (auto dampening technology adjusts on the fly), or the standard KONI adjustable struts.

Do Ground Control (Eibach) + Koni. KW V2's aren't worth the extra cash for what you're using the car for.

And don't get the autodampening, it's just a waste of money.

minx

That FR-S/86/BRZ turned out to be a major let down in the performance department, and now they're asking for more money than what they're giving you in the performance department. The BRZ would have possibly been a nice DD, but with the limited probably coming in at 28/29/30k it got shoved into a much larger competitive market. Even with the stripped down FR-S coming in at $25k isn't worth it IMHO. It's a good looking car, with OK MPG (22/30), and I'm sure it's not boring as a Buick to drive, but that price is just too high for what you get.

Exactly my thoughts. I drive a Celica now and while this is going to handle better and be a little quicker, it's just not worth it. I get 33 mpg combined in a 2001 Celica and a 2013 FRS 200hp 4 banger can't get over 30 on the highway? Really?

Exactly my thoughts. I drive a Celica now and while this is going to handle better and be a little quicker, it's just not worth it. I get 33 mpg combined in a 2001 Celica and a 2013 FRS 200hp 4 banger can't get over 30 on the highway? Really?

This will blow away your Celica. It has more room, far better handling, is noticeably faster, and still gets great MPG. It's also Rear wheel drive whereas your Celica is fail wheel drive.

Obviously you aren't very bright considering 1. you can't see the difference between a garish flat red and true metallic red and 2. you make threads about cheating on your girlfriend and then pretend like they never happened.

Welcome to the Internet, Creepysnake.

This will blow away your Celica. It has more room, far better handling, is noticeably faster, and still gets great MPG. It's also Rear wheel drive whereas your Celica is fail wheel drive.

Obviously you aren't very bright considering 1. you can't see the difference between a garish flat red and true metallic red and 2. you make threads about cheating on your girlfriend and then pretend like they never happened.

Lol. This guy.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I just wanted to post in this thread...and troll the ludicrous price of a RWD Scion.

So here I am. Trololol.

Good day.

SUPREME1

Banned

So, he calls you out for being a dick about his mistaking a color. You respond by going completely go off topic and drag his posting history into the auto discussion thread.

The color if that car is douchebag red... and it is your car.

spwolf

your celica gets 20 MPG combined according to EPA, if it was GTS. If it is 140hp, then FRS will feel like you are in drag racer.

Celica was a great car at the time. FR-S is on another plane of existence.

FR-S is purpose built RWD sports car. It is built to be tracked. What does that mean? Special chasis, special suspension, special engine, short gearing for the transmission, roll cage easily installed with mounting points already there, LSD in every model.

You cant compare it with any FWD car, it is completely different experience.

And thats why all the mags and reviewers from every country in the world are going bonkers over the car while they laugh at the Mustangs, Camaros, Velosters and Genesis.

If you are into cars, there is no question that you will be able to turbo this thing yourself for $5k with intercooler and then you have a monster at your hands that almost nothing will touch.

your celica gets 20 MPG combined according to EPA, if it was GTS. If it is 140hp, then FRS will feel like you are in drag racer.

Celica was a great car at the time. FR-S is on another plane of existence.

FR-S is purpose built RWD sports car. It is built to be tracked. What does that mean? Special chasis, special suspension, special engine, short gearing for the transmission, roll cage easily installed with mounting points already there, LSD in every model.

You cant compare it with any FWD car, it is completely different experience.

And thats why all the mags and reviewers from every country in the world are going bonkers over the car while they laugh at the Mustangs, Camaros, Velosters and Genesis.

If you are into cars, there is no question that you will be able to turbo this thing yourself for $5k with intercooler and then you have a monster at your hands that almost nothing will touch.

Careful my friend you are not allowed to post positive things about this car here. It is forbidden.

um...i really doubt just putting a turbo on it will make it almost nothing can touch status. looks to be a fun car, but thats it ....

The 7th generation Celica GTS did get around 30mpg also...I think it was around 180bhp..

Im also not buying the "build to be tracked" thing....I don't thinks its marketed that way.

the true last to be "built to be tracked" car that was under 30k was the Integra type-R. Even though it was FWD it can run circles around most RWD and AWD.

I don't know if anyone is aware of this, but the fucking FRS/BRZ has 5x100 hubs. That means the thing will be a nightmare to find good wheels for. That fucking sucks.

Just looked up the specs on the FR S/86.

Sorry to jump on the hate train, but LMFAO at 200hp and 151 lb/ft torque at 6K.

$25K plus $5-6K for aftermarket turbo + tuning to give it power that isn't utterly laughable for a sportscar = 30K+

25K will get you a standard WRX with 265hp and 244 lb/ft torque and 34K will get you an STI with 305hp and a massive (for a daily driver) 290lb/ft torque

Not to mention AWD is much more practical than RWD for people who live where it snows, if we're talking daily drivers here.

I have no idea what is appealing about this car unless it's designed to be a modders/tuners car. Doesn't sound like money well spent at all.

spwolf

um...i really doubt just putting a turbo on it will make it almost nothing can touch status. looks to be a fun car, but thats it ....

The 7th generation Celica GTS did get around 30mpg also...I think it was around 180bhp..

Im also not buying the "build to be tracked" thing....I don't thinks its marketed that way.

the true last to be "built to be tracked" car that was under 30k was the Integra type-R. Even though it was FWD it can run circles around most RWD and AWD.

GTS gets 23 mpg official numbers... and probably less with Auto, but its auto was awful anyway. And thats with 2 airbags and it probably would not pass crash tests today with more than 3 stars.

i dont care what you are buying into or not, you obviously not know much about the car, you need to read up on it.

kehs

Banned
Since all Gaf groups know how to scheme, is getting tires online, bad idea or badder idea?

I'm looking to get 235/55/17 s that I'm gonna mount locally.

GTS gets 23 mpg official numbers... and probably less with Auto, but its auto was awful anyway. And thats with 2 airbags and it probably would not pass crash tests today with more than 3 stars.

i dont care what you are buying into or not, you obviously not know much about the car, you need to read up on it.

Are we talking about the 7th generation gts? because i had one along time ago and I was getting around 30mpg....where did you get 23mpg?

regarding the gt86....I'm a car enthusiastic so I will make my judgement when I get to drive one. The reading part doesn't do it for me.

Since all Gaf groups know how to scheme, is getting tires online, bad idea or badder idea?

best idea....tirerack.com never fails..and much cheaper..

another good idea when some dealership do the "buy 3 get one free deal"

Zyzyxxz

Funny we talking about the much disrespected 7th Gen Celica. Although I use to drive one I was severely disappointed at the aftermarket support and overpriced stuff that was available.

The best thing about the car was the dam weight, 2500 pound curb weight, that was the only feature that made it untouchable in that respect since nearly ever other comparing car weighed 300 lbs or more.

This GT86/BRZ talk is funny though, don't understand why so much hate for the car but I am neither excited or hateful for it. The design was civilized too much and price is disappointing but I'm not losing sleep over it.

best idea....tirerack.com never fails..and much cheaper..

another good idea when some dealership do the "buy 3 get one free deal"

Considering it's a company that was founded by guys who loved to rally race cars but couldn't find the right size tires at the right price, I have to say from my time dealing with them I would recommend them.

spwolf

Careful my friend you are not allowed to post positive things about this car here. It is forbidden.

i see... it seems they should have slapped big turbo on Corolla and called it a day

Ok, lets take Inside Line article on FR-S:

2013 Scion FR-S: 10 Things You Don't Know
Finally, a Sports Car

1. It Feels Incredible
We drove the FR-S more than 50 miles on the 1.5-mile, 14-turn Sodegaura Forest Raceway outside Tokyo. The track was wet for about half those miles. As a result, we got a good feel for driving up to and beyond this car's limits. And the control that's available in that scenario is this car's most important property.

Its chassis will allow you to approach the limits as slowly or as quickly as you choose, informing you the entire time about when it's going to let go. Recovering from a slide is similarly easy and drama-free. And don't let anyone tell you there's not enough power available to do so. Power oversteer is readily available in 2nd-gear corners.
It's a cheap sports car that doesn't feel cheap. And that's something we've needed for a long time.

2. It Has a Torsen Limited-Slip Differential

4. It Has an Ultra-Low Center of Gravity
Toyota's internal testing shows the FR-S to have a considerably lower center of gravity than Porsche's Cayman, Nissan's GT-R, Mitsubishi's Lancer Evolution and Subaru's STI. In fact, the FR-S's center of gravity is only about 0.6 inch higher than the Lexus LFA — impressive considering the FR-S is a mass-produced car bound by Toyota's design standards regulating ride height, tire/fender clearance and other factors. The LFA is not.

Little-known fact? The Porsche 911 GT3's center of gravity is between the LFA and FR-S.

9. It Had Serious Benchmarks
The primary benchmark for the FR-S was the Porsche Cayman.

http://www.insideline.com/scion/fr-s/2013/2013-scion-fr-s-10-things-you-dont-know.html

Or lets get EVO UK impression of it (probably the greatest sports car mag)

What's it like to drive?

It restores your faith in cars. No excuses, no unsaid undercurrent that makes the best of the fact that cars are generally becoming more synthetic and less involving to drive. The GT 86 is a complete cracker.

Here's why. Our encounter took place on the Sodeguara racetrack outside Tokyo, full of bends and dips and lightly coated with rain. You need a car with sensitive controls for a track like that, and within half a lap you feel completely at ease in the GT 86 as rush right up to its limits. Via possibly the best electric steering system we've yet encountered, with much more subtle sensitivity than the new 911's system and a more mechnically-connected feel about the centre, you can exploit a balance perfectly tunable with the tiniest throttle inputs. Take a corner briskly and there's stabilising understeer; accelerate a bit and the understeer vanishes as the tail starts to dominate. From there to a drift is a land of opportunity with abundant signposting. Seldom is a car so up for a friendly game.

How does it compare?

It makes a Scirocco seem synthetic, an RCZ anaesthetised, a 3-series Coupé over-complicated. This is a pure driving device like an Elise or an MX-5 with sharpened sinews. This is how a proper sporting coupé should be. Toyota intended it to embody elements of the 1960s 2000GT and the 1980s rear-drive Corolla Twin-Cam (AE86), and it does.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/276016/driven_toyota_gt_86.html

spwolf

Are we talking about the 7th generation gts? because i had one along time ago and I was getting around 30mpg....where did you get 23mpg?

regarding the gt86....I'm a car enthusiastic so I will make my judgement when I get to drive one. The reading part doesn't do it for me.

you are having really hard time understanding the difference between EPA official numbers and what you got in the car. GTS official EPA was 23 MPG.... FR-S with more power, torque, safety, rwd gets between 25 and 28 mpg combined.

spwolf

i have heard good things about Discount Tire Direct... they will match any price, charge no taxes online and often cheaper than tire rack.

Zyzyxxz

you are having really hard time understanding the difference between EPA official numbers and what you got in the car. GTS official EPA was 23 MPG.... FR-S with more power, torque, safety, rwd gets between 25 and 28 mpg combined.

Take into account the old EPA numbers were bullshit, it got 29 MPG on the city for the base GT model and that was with an automatic, never got close to those numbers. The last gen Prius got 60MPG but got reduced once the new tests came out to something like 45-48.

Loki

Count of Concision
So, any opinions from people who own or have driven in any of these cars as to which one I should get?

- 2012 Nissan Maxima SV w/cold and monitor package
- 2012 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/leather
- 2012 Volkswagen CC

I'm leaning towards the Maxima because I like its interior the most (the center stack is awesome) and it's easily the most powerful car on the list. I've also been enamored with it for a few years now since the redesign in 2009. The Accord is sexy and nice quality, but I'm not sure how I feel about a coupe - I was comfortable inside it, though. The slanted rear window could get annoying. The Volkswagen CC is GORGEOUS, but I would only be able to swing the 200 HP 4-cylinder model (the V6 is like $40K, the 4-cyl around $30-34K). I don't like its interior as much as the Maxima's, but it's elegant and refined.

Incidentally, I'm not sure why VW doesn't offer a V6 on the CC Luxe trim (which is ~$35K). I mean, you really can't include a V6 in a $35K car Volkswagen? Really? This car would sell a TON more if they did this - even with 4 cylinders at 200 HP it's very appealing based on design and build quality alone. The design is just incredibly sexy and oozes class.

Any opinions/recommendations on, or experiences with, these cars is welcome.

minx

I don't care what the official numbers are. I regularly get 33 mpg with 50/50 city highway in my GT auto. I know the GT has only 140hp but that's still amazing for a car from 2001. I'm sure the FRS is going to handle much much better than my celica, it's just that I, like many others, we're expecting so much more.

minx

What mags and reviewers say that about the Mustang GT? Might want to see how people compare it to the M3. Also putting a turbo in it will bring it to the price of a GT would would kill it in a straight line and as well as the track.

I just found THE perfect E30 S52 swap. I'd buy it today but... my car likely won't be sold til next week. And this swap will go fast because it is so fucking clean and well done. Heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom